Question to those who demand proof of God before believing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NuclearNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NuclearNerd
Member since 2010 • 399 Posts
I know I'm at risk of setting up a strawman with this topic, but here goes... To those who deny the existence of God on the basis of lack of empirical evidence irrefutably showing it, what kind of evidence would you need to see before you believed? Evidence that you could not see yourself explaining away with something else. Quite frankly I'm under the assumption that the message "GOD EXISTS" could be coded into the DNA of every living organism and it would be explained away via coincidence, ancient trolling aliens, or people looking at DNA wrong before the scientific community accepted it. But that's why I'm asking you guys, out of curiosity, what you would accept. Or are you under the assumption that the existence of God is unprovable making the "I need proof" argument moot?
needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

maybe if god came down from the heavens and smited some people and said "do you believe in my now?" i would believe in him.

NuclearNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NuclearNerd

maybe if god came down from the heavens and smited some people and said "do you believe in my now?" i would believe in him.

needled24-7
What about this would make you believe it was really God, though? And not a (very) elaborate hoax?
LinuxGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LinuxGoose
Member since 2011 • 36 Posts
Well I'm sure an all powerful god could come up with a way to prove his existence instead of playing this faith game which is going to send billions of people to hell...
NuclearNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NuclearNerd
Well I'm sure an all powerful god could come up with a way to prove his existence instead of playing this faith game which is going to send billions of people to hell... LinuxGoose
Nice way of avoiding the question. ;)
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Anything, really. There have been plenty of modern accounts of miracles, yet each and every one of them has failed under scientific scrutiny. I believe in what can be observed and explained, so if god can ever be observed and explained then that will be sufficient proof for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Why should I believe in him? I don't believe in god for the same reason I don't believe that crab people are in control of the Australian government

NuclearNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NuclearNerd

Anything, really. There have been plenty of modern accounts of miracles, yet each and every one of them has failed under scientific scrutiny. I believe in what can be observed and explained, so if god can ever be observed and explained then that will be sufficient proof for me.

theone86
Now THIS one is interesting. Which miracles are you referring to? How have they failed?
NuclearNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NuclearNerd

Why should I believe in him? I don't believe in god for the same reason I don't believe that crab people are in control of the Australian government

toast_burner
Then you are not the target of the question.
LinuxGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LinuxGoose
Member since 2011 • 36 Posts
[QUOTE="LinuxGoose"]Well I'm sure an all powerful god could come up with a way to prove his existence instead of playing this faith game which is going to send billions of people to hell... NuclearNerd

I'm not sure of a way he could prove it, but being god I'm sure he knows a way that he could prove it if he is this all powerful all knowing being. The fact that he is all loving, but playing this faith game instead of proving his existence makes me not truly believe in him. An all Loving being wouldn't play this faith game which is going to send billions of people to hell because they either grew up in the wrong area and believed in the wrong god or they thought about how messed up the bible is.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
How can "believers" be so credulous? Isn't the point of religion to discover the truths for oneself rather than just make an intellectual assent to the truth without understanding why?
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

NuclearNerd

Now THIS one is interesting. Which miracles are you referring to? How have they failed?

Non-living material "bleeding," sicknesses healing "miraculously," and plenty of others. A good number of people claim each year to have witnessed miracles, but whenever they're investigated by scientists they find that they're either hoaxes (bleeding) or that there are scientific answers for them that were simply ignored by people who wanted to believe they were miracles (sicknesses).

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 theone86

How can "believers" be so credulous? Isn't the point of religion to discover the truths for oneself rather than just make an intellectual assent to the truth without understanding why? foxhound_fox

Ummmm...no?

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

[QUOTE="LinuxGoose"]Well I'm sure an all powerful god could come up with a way to prove his existence instead of playing this faith game which is going to send billions of people to hell... NuclearNerd

it's true though.

why do humans have to have their beliefes based on faith? why can't got provide proof of his existence? it would make a lot more sense that way. then his "children" that he "loves" wouldn't have to go to hell. except for the ones that would defy him anyways.

Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kcube
Member since 2003 • 25398 Posts
I saw things before they happened. It made me believe that either I have already lived this life or something higher chose to show me those things. I was an athiest untill the dreams strarted. SO now I am an agnostic/believer
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#16 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

I belive in God but that's down to faith just like atheists have faith that God doesn't exist. Both positions require faith as they are both claims without proof. You can't prove God exists and you can't prove God doesn't either, trying to convince someone of your position takes faith. The only people who truly don't have faith in God or no God are Agnostics.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts

[QUOTE="NuclearNerd"][QUOTE="theone86"]

theone86

Non-living material "bleeding," sicknesses healing "miraculously," and plenty of others. A good number of people claim each year to have witnessed miracles, but whenever they're investigated by scientists they find that they're either hoaxes (bleeding) or that there are scientific answers for them that were simply ignored by people who wanted to believe they were miracles (sicknesses).

Isn't that more a people problem and not necessarily a "god" problem?
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I'll never understand why religious people feel that their faith needs to be proven. That kinda negates the whole point of faith.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Didn't they have some big end of the world / judgement day thing planned? I guess that would convince me.

I don't know, pretty much any large-scale supernatural phenomenon, provided it wasn't just aliens screwing with us again.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="NuclearNerd"] Now THIS one is interesting. Which miracles are you referring to? How have they failed?majoras_wrath

I'm just saying that whenever people say that there's proof for the supernatural it doesn't stand up to scrutiny, any proof would have to be able to withstand scrutiny.

GrudHeap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GrudHeap
Member since 2011 • 138 Posts

[QUOTE="theone86"]

majoras_wrath

He needs proof and "miracles" aren't providing any. No matter whose problem it is, it isn't helping atheists believe.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 theone86

I saw things before they happened. It made me believe that either I have already lived this life or something higher chose to show me those things. I was an athiest untill the dreams strarted. SO now I am an agnostic/believerKcube

That could very well be your brain playing tricks on you. We tend to generalize meories into ones that are very similar, in addition to forgetting the details of memories. When you are experiencing a situation that is very similar to another memory (setting, people, etc.), then your brain recalls the earlier memory without details. Your brain can play powerful tricks on you. I just saw a film in class today where people were made to believe that they had ridden in a hot air balloon when they really hadn't, and they actually had memories of the event. There was another instance where someone convinced Alan Alda that he had a particularly bad bout of food poisoning from eggs (he hadn't) and caused him to subconsciously avoid eating eggs at a lunch.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 theone86

I belive in God but that's down to faith just like atheists have faith that God doesn't exist. Both positions require faith as they are both claims without proof. You can't prove God exists and you can't prove God doesn't either, trying to convince someone of your position takes faith. The only people who truly don't have faith in God or no God are Agnostics.

ShadowMoses900

You don't have to have faith that god doesn't exist. I don't have faith that when I wake up tomorrow oxygen will not be poisonous to me, I know it to be true.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 majoras_wrath

[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"][QUOTE="theone86"]

theone86

I'm just saying that whenever people say that there's proof for the supernatural it doesn't stand up to scrutiny, any proof would have to be able to withstand scrutiny.

I'm definitely playing devils advocate here, but who says that the Abrahamic religions (or any other religion really) has it right? Just because they are wrong doesn't "disprove" the notion of a greater power. And to be completely clear, I am an agnostic atheist, but this makes for interesting conversation.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

needled24-7
and that's the thread
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"] Isn't that more a people problem and not necessarily a "god" problem?majoras_wrath

I'm definitely playing devils advocate here, but who says that the Abrahamic religions (or any other religion really) has it right? Just because they are wrong doesn't "disprove" the notion of a greater power. And to be completely clear, I am an agnostic atheist, but this makes for interesting conversation.

Not my point. My point simply is that there are plenty of examples of metaphysical "proof" that do not stand up to scrutiny, and that any proof of god or gods coming from any religion, or none of them for that matter, would have to withstand scrutiny. My point is that it's fairly easy to manufacture an event that seems fantastical, and that I'm not just going to fall for any such event without scientific verification.

DocDelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DocDelicious
Member since 2011 • 410 Posts
Please read "The God Delusion". The idea of gods existence is easily explained with what we know today. God himself could come down from the sky and slap me in the face and I'd be convinced of nothing other than the catholic church has way too much time on their hands/extra resources to put on that elaborate of a hoax.
Pikdum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pikdum
Member since 2010 • 2244 Posts

I'm an atheist but I was raised as a Christan. It's not really the fact that we can't prove that god exists that makes me an atheist. We also can't prove that god doesn't exist either so I find it funny when other atheists pull that card. So I don't demand any proof of god.

I'm an atheist because religion in general sounds like a fairy tale to me. A fairy tale that many of us are raised to believe and we end up not knowing anything else. When it comes to Christianity I'm not very keen on following a 2000 year old book that has most likely been altered a LOT from the original texts by the Romans and what not. We live in such a little fragment of humanity, how do you KNOW the bible is true and so is you're god?

M4Ntan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 M4Ntan
Member since 2009 • 1438 Posts

He didn't avoid the question, you already said if someone just killed people and said "Do you believe in me now" could easily be a hoax. If God made everything like you believe, then he can easily do something that will make us all believe.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
You can't prove it either way. In religion God isn't a person, God is all and everything. There's no way of showing. I don't believe such nonsense but hey, that's me.
majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 majoras_wrath

theone86

Not my point. My point simply is that there are plenty of examples of metaphysical "proof" that do not stand up to scrutiny, and that any proof of god or gods coming from any religion, or none of them for that matter, would have to withstand scrutiny. My point is that it's fairly easy to manufacture an event that seems fantastical, and that I'm not just going to fall for any such event without scientific verification.

But would proof could possibly convince skeptics? That's what I've always been stuck on. god by definition exists outside of our realm of understanding, so how could we possibly fit it into our current system of scientific method? This of course leads me personally to "Well, if we can't know then and it doesn't fit into our scientific knowledge then who cares?" but it is still is a intriguing question.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 worlock77

ShadowMoses900

Faith is not required to disbelieve in something that has no proof. Do you have faith that the Easter Bunny doesn't exist?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127525 Posts
Simple... He would turn me into a believer... He would make me open my eyes and see him.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
It is avoiding the question.NuclearNerd
No. It was a pretty direct answer.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"] I'm definitely playing devils advocate here, but who says that the Abrahamic religions (or any other religion really) has it right? Just because they are wrong doesn't "disprove" the notion of a greater power. And to be completely clear, I am an agnostic atheist, but this makes for interesting conversation.majoras_wrath

But would proof could possibly convince skeptics? That's what I've always been stuck on. god by definition exists outside of our realm of understanding, so how could we possibly fit it into our current system of scientific method? This of course leads me personally to "Well, if we can't know then and it doesn't fit into our scientific knowledge then who cares?" but it is still is a intriguing question.

That's how some people see it, seems reasonable to me. Personally, though, I just define metaphysical as that which is beyond our understanding. It's not that it can never become part of our understanding, just that it exists outside it as of now. Moons were once metaphysical objects, now they're within our realm of understanding. If god exists then I believe it's reasonable to expect that he can be understood within our existence, especially if he expects us to believe in him. Even if that's not so, if god can never be experienced, then what's the point of this thread? There will never be proof, so how could we demand proof.

Pikdum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Pikdum

theone86

That's how some people see it, seems reasonable to me. Personally, though, I just define metaphysical as that which is beyond our understanding. It's not that it can never become part of our understanding, just that it exists outside it as of now. Moons were once metaphysical objects, now they're within our realm of understanding. If god exists then I believe it's reasonable to expect that he can be understood within our existence, especially if he expects us to believe in him. Even if that's not so, if god can never be experienced, then what's the point of this thread? There will never be proof, so how could we demand proof.

I agree, I don't think anyone ever demands proof of religion. Proof and religion don't tend to mix very well... People just use the "You can't prove it" card as a counter argument.

cee1gee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 cee1gee
Member since 2008 • 2042 Posts
Well I'm sure an all powerful god could come up with a way to prove his existence instead of playing this faith game which is going to send billions of people to hell... LinuxGoose
i thought Jesus was the proof of his existence?
Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

I believe in something, just by how weird life is and I think to myself that..this all couldn't have happened randomly, there has to be some guiding force...I think anyways...

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="majoras_wrath"] But would proof could possibly convince skeptics? That's what I've always been stuck on. god by definition exists outside of our realm of understanding, so how could we possibly fit it into our current system of scientific method? This of course leads me personally to "Well, if we can't know then and it doesn't fit into our scientific knowledge then who cares?" but it is still is a intriguing question.Pikdum

I agree, I don't think anyone ever demands proof of religion. Proof and religion don't tend to mix very well... People just use the "You can't prove it" card as a counter argument.

Well, I demand proof, but that's because my belief system is based upon proof. I have no problem with people who don't demand proof, so long as they acknowledge their belief system is based upon fait.

What I mean to say is that I don't demand of people of faith that they stop believing because they lack proof, I simply don't believe because I lack proof.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 worlock77

[QUOTE="LinuxGoose"]Well I'm sure an all powerful god could come up with a way to prove his existence instead of playing this faith game which is going to send billions of people to hell... cee1gee

First: prove Jesus existed. Second: prove that he was God incarnate, or the son of God or what have you.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#42 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

I don't even...

What is this?

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
[QUOTE="NuclearNerd"]I know I'm at risk of setting up a strawman with this topic, but here goes... To those who deny the existence of God on the basis of lack of empirical evidence irrefutably showing it, what kind of evidence would you need to see before you believed? Evidence that you could not see yourself explaining away with something else. Quite frankly I'm under the assumption that the message "GOD EXISTS" could be coded into the DNA of every living organism and it would be explained away via coincidence, ancient trolling aliens, or people looking at DNA wrong before the scientific community accepted it. But that's why I'm asking you guys, out of curiosity, what you would accept. Or are you under the assumption that the existence of God is unprovable making the "I need proof" argument moot?

If God Exists is in the DNA of everyone then does this mean if i accidently squash a bug i commited murder and should be sent to hell? Flawed logic you got there TC if that was the case basically god putting a "I own this" sticker on every living thing.
Pikdum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Pikdum

[QUOTE="LinuxGoose"]Well I'm sure an all powerful god could come up with a way to prove his existence instead of playing this faith game which is going to send billions of people to hell... cee1gee

How do you know Jesus ever existed in the first place?

cee1gee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 cee1gee

[QUOTE="cee1gee"][QUOTE="LinuxGoose"]Well I'm sure an all powerful god could come up with a way to prove his existence instead of playing this faith game which is going to send billions of people to hell... Pikdum

scientists
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 worlock77

[QUOTE="Pikdum"]

[QUOTE="cee1gee"] i thought Jesus was the proof of his existence?cee1gee

scientists

What?

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="Pikdum"]

[QUOTE="cee1gee"] i thought Jesus was the proof of his existence?cee1gee

scientists

No (real) scientists have ever claimed such a thing.
cee1gee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 cee1gee

[QUOTE="cee1gee"][QUOTE="Pikdum"]

Nibroc420

scientists

what constitutes a real scientist

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 worlock77

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="cee1gee"] scientistscee1gee

Well for starters one who's working in an actual field of science.

cee1gee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cee1gee

[QUOTE="cee1gee"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] No (real) scientists have ever claimed such a thing.worlock77

Well for starters one who's working in an actual field of science.

all science is really just theory anyway