This topic is locked from further discussion.

muzik_mafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 muzik_mafia
Member since 2009 • 1628 Posts

I've started going to the gym, and all the big guys have their drinks with them most of the time. My friend I go with makes powder shakes afterwards too, and he has results. I'm not looking to become a monster, just get my physical level equal to the other important things in my life (quicker). I'm just wondering if any of you science guys, or gym guys, can tell me the pros and cons to consuming powdered protien (Whey I guess) during and/or post workout. Thanks in advance :)

The_Zoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 The_Zoid
Member since 2006 • 59984 Posts

It is a source of protein. These "gym guys" probably don't realize it, but having their drinks with them doesn't make one iota of difference. Total daily intake will always trump timing, as overlapping digestion of food consumed prior will negate any possible "benefit" of these drinks. If you want to get some, do it as it's an extremely convenient way to hit your protein quota for the day...but realize it's not magic in a tub. Your friend's results have 0 to do with the powder.

Inb4 insulin spike/anabolic window crew

muzik_mafia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 muzik_mafia
Member since 2009 • 1628 Posts

It is a source of protein. These "gym guys" probably don't realize it, but having their drinks with them doesn't make one iota of difference. Total daily intake will always trump timing, as overlapping digestion of food consumed prior will negate any possible "benefit" of these drinks. If you want to get some, do it as it's an extremely convenient way to hit your protein quota for the day...but realize it's not magic in a tub. Your friend's results have 0 to do with the powder.

The_Zoid
Thanks for the insight, but is there any downside to using powder protein?
The_Zoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 The_Zoid
Member since 2006 • 59984 Posts
[QUOTE="The_Zoid"]

muzik_mafia
Thanks for the insight, but is there any downside to using powder protein?

Price mainly...but you can find some pretty good deals on the internet. I usually keep a tub or two around.