Post your favourite quotes ever!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SideSwipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SideSwipes
Member since 2009 • 3064 Posts

Post your favourite quotes here. They can be funny or serious. From real life, a book, video game, film or even from here in OT!!

Go.

Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
"DAMN good coffee. AND HOT!" - Agent Dale Cooper.
hedden93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 hedden93
Member since 2009 • 5496 Posts

"Forgiveness is between them and god . . . its my job to arrange the meeting."

-Denzel Washington in Man On Fire.

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 ShadowJax04
Member since 2006 • 3351 Posts
Look at the pelican fly! Come oooon pelican!
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
"Either this wallpaper goes, or I do..." - apocryphal last words of Oscar Wilde on his death bed "Some people say life is one damn thing after another. It's actually the same damn thing over and over." - Edna St. Vincent Millay "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Dorothy Parker playing a word game where she had to use "horticulture" in a sentence
LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
The one in my sig, and the one in pianist's sig are some of my favorites.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
Look at the pelican fly! Come oooon pelican!ShadowJax04
I hate most quotes but not that one.
IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

"Time to activate the arse-kickulator! WOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOPWOOP" - Timesplitters 3 bad guy.

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ShadowJax04
[QUOTE="ShadowJax04"]Look at the pelican fly! Come oooon pelican!KiIIyou
I hate most quotes but not that one.

I hear you ;)
XxWOND3RB3ADxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 XxWOND3RB3ADxX
Member since 2008 • 1189 Posts

'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for." 2pac

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ShadowJax04
I predict this thread will be too much serious.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Manchester Black: You're living in a bloody dream world!

Superman: I wouldn't have it any other way. Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us. And on my soul, I swear... until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share - I'll never stop fighting. Ever.

- What's so Funny About Truth, Justice, and the American Way?

Jules: Why always changing?

Georges Seurat: Because I do not paint for your approval

- Sunday in the Park With George

C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 C-Lee
Member since 2008 • 5838 Posts
[QUOTE="super_mario_128"]"DAMN good coffee. AND HOT!" - Agent Dale Cooper.

This comment is 100% win.
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Look at the pelican fly! Come oooon pelican!ShadowJax04
:lol: That was always one of my favorites out of Scarface.
Nagru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nagru
Member since 2006 • 1956 Posts

Well then, ridiculously long post here:

"Modern people and modern theology, in trying to start from man alone, are left where the brilliant German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche found himself. Nietzsche in the 1880s was the first one who said in the modern way that God is dead, and he understood well where people end when they say this. If God is dead, then everything for which God gives an answer and meaning is dead."
-How Should We Then Live? The Rise and Decline of Western Thought and Culture, Francis A. Schaeffer

"According to nature' you want to live? O you noble Stoics, what deceptive words these are! Imagine a being like nature, wasteful beyond measure, indifferent beyond measure, without purposes and consideration, without mercy and justice, fertile and desolate and uncertain at the same time; imagine indifference itself as a power-how could you live according to this indifference? Living - is that not precisely wanting to be other than this nature? Is not living - estimating, preferring, being unjust, being limited, wanting to be different? And supposing your imperative 'live according to nature' meant at bottom as much as 'live according to life' - how could you not do that? Why make a principle of what you yourselves are and must be?"
-Beyond Good and Evil, Friedrich Nietzsche

"...We've just seen that the discussion as to how many people there should be in the world has now, as it were, become quite acceptable. It is not acceptable, at the moment, to discuss who should be the parents of the next generation, who should be born, and who should have children. There's a general feeling that if we are all nice to each other and if everybody has 2.3 children, everything will pan out. I don't think that is true. For good genetic reasons, even though you have more medical care, transplantation of organs, and all these things, it would be an unhealthy biological situation. Some group of people should decide that some people should have more children and some should have fewer...You have to decide who is to be born."
-Francis Crick

"No one would have believed in the last years of the nineteenth century that this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's and yet as mortal as his own; that as men busied themselves about their various concerns they were scrutinised and studied, perhaps almost as narrowly as a man with a microscope might scrutinise the transient creatures that swarm and multiply in a drop of water. With infinite complacency men went to and fro over this globe about their little affairs, serene in their assurance of their empire over matter. It is possible that the infusoria under the microscope do the same. . .Yet across the gulf of space, minds that are to our minds as ours are to those of the beasts that perish, intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic, regarded this earth with envious eyes, and slowly and surely drew their plans against us."
-The War of the Worlds, H.G. Wells

"No matter how exotic human civilization becomes, no matter the developments of life and society nor the complexity of the machine/human interface, there always come interludes of lonely power when the course of humankind, depends upon the relatively simple actions of single individuals."
-Dune Messiah, Frank Herbert

"All governments suffer a recurring problem: power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted."
-Chapterhouse: Dune, Frank Herbert

[spoiler] "The dark is generous.
Its first gift is concealment: our true faces lie in the dark beneath our skins, our true hearts remain shadowed deeper still. But the greatest concealment lies not in protecting our secret truths, but in hiding us from the truths of others.The dark protects us from what we dare not know.
Its second gift is comforting illusion: the ease of gentle dreams in night's embrace, the beauty that imagination brings to what would repel in day's harsh light. But the greatest of its comforts is the illusion that the dark is only temporary: that every night brings a new day.
Because it is day that is temporary.
Day is the illusion.
Its third gift is the light itself: as days are defined by the nights that divide them, as stars are defined by the infinite black through which they wheel, the dark embraces the light, and brings it forth from the center of its own self. With each victory of the light, it is the darkness that wins.
The dark is generous, and it is patient.
It is the darkness that seeds cruelty into justice, that drips contempt into compassion, that poisons love with grains of doubt.
The dark can be patient, because the slightest drop of rain will cause those seeds to sprout.
The rain will come, and the seeds will sprout, for the dark is the soil in which they grow, and it is the clouds above them, and it waits behind the star that gives them light.
The dark's patience is infinite. Eventually, even stars burn out.
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
It always wins because it is everywhere. It is in the wood that burns in your hearth, and in the kettle on the fire; it is under your chair and under your table and under the sheets on your bed. Walk in the midday sun and the dark is with you, attached to the soles of your feet.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins-but in the heart of its strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars."
-Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith, Mathew Stover [/spoiler]

"It's called the gray fallacy. One person says white, another says black, and outside observers assume gray is the truth. The assumption of gray is sloppy, lazy thinking. The fact that one person takes a position that is diametrically opposed to the truth does not then skew reality so the truth is no longer the truth. The truth is still the truth."
-Theokhoth

"The big deal with prenatal infanticide is people are doing exactly what we did with slavery: defining people as "not people" for the sake of convenience and killing them with semantics so as not to burden our conscience. Some people happen to have a problem with this."
-Theokhoth

"Ideas and philosophical systems as well as movements grounded on a definite spiritual foundation, whether true or not, can never be broken by the use of force after a certain stage, except on one condition: namely, that this use of force is in the service of a new idea or Weltanschhauung which burns with a new flame."
-Mein Kampf, Adolf Hitler

"Nothing is harder to do, more dubious to succeed at, or more dangerous to manage than making oneself a ruler and introducing a new order. This is because he...makes enemies of all those who have done well under the old, and finds only half-hearted defenders in the men who would do well under the new...Men intrinsically do not trust new things that they have not experienced themselves."
-The Prince, Niccolo Machiavelli

"Among those who plot to assassinate the tyrant, those who are most worrisome, and should be most carefully watched, are those who do not strive to preserve their own lives while destroying his."
-Politics, Aristotle

"Can our future be cleanly shorn
from a life to which we're born?
Is each of us a creature free-
or trapped at birth by destiny?
Pity those who believe the latter.
Without freedom, nothing matters."
-The Book of Counted Sorrows

"The broad mass of a nation does not consist of diplomats...or even individuals capable of forming a rational opinion; it consists of plain mortals,
wavering and inclined to doubt and uncertainty. As soon as our own propaganda admits so much as a glimmer of right on the other side, the foundation for doubt in our own right has been laid. In such a case they become uncertain and suspicious, especially if the enemy refrains from going in for the same nonsense...Isn't it perfectly understandable that the whole country ends up lending more credence to enemy propaganda...than to its own?"
-Mein Kampf, Adolf Hitler

"Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty."
-Frank Herbert

"We all are prisoners at one time or another in our lives, prisoners to ourselves or the expectations of those around us. It is a burden that all people endure, that all people despise, and that few people ever learn to escape."
-Exile, by R.A. Salvatore

"What do such machines really do? They increase the number of things we can do without thinking. Things we do without thinking — there's the real danger."
-Frank Herbert, God Emperor of Dune

"There will one day spring from the brain of science a machine or force so fearful in it's potentialities, so absolutely terrifying, that even Man, the fighter, who will dare torture and death in order to inflict torture and death, will be appalled, and so abandon war altogether."
-Thomas Edison

Gregory struck out with his stick at the lamp-post, and then at the tree. "About this and this," he cried; "about order and anarchy. There is your precious order, that lean, iron lamp, ugly and barren; and there is anarchy, rich, living, reproducing itself—there is anarchy, splendid in green and gold."
"All the same," replied Syme patiently, "just at present you only see the tree by the light of the lamp. I wonder when you would ever see the lamp by the light of the tree."
-The Man Who Was Thursday, G.K. Chesterson

"Meaningless! Meaningless!" says the Teacher. "Utterly Meaningless! What does man gain from all his labor at which he toils under the sun? Generations come and generations go, but the earth remains forever. The sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises.All streams flow into the sea, yet the sea is never full. To the place the streams come from, there they return again. All things are wearisome, more than one can say...For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief."
-Ecclesiastes, King Solomon

"Reaching into your own pocket to help the poor is praiseworthy. Reaching into someone else's pocket to help the poor is immoral."
-Aransom

bruinfan617

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bruinfan617
Member since 2010 • 3767 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowJax04"]Look at the pelican fly! Come oooon pelican!rockguy92
:lol: That was always one of my favorites out of Scarface.

Was that ever a meme? I feel like it should be.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PannicAtack

-The Man Who Was Sunday, G.K. Chesterson

Nagru

The book is called "The Man Who Was Thursday" and it is awesome.

Nagru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nagru
Member since 2006 • 1956 Posts

[QUOTE="Nagru"]

-The Man Who Was Sunday, G.K. Chesterson

PannicAtack

The book is called "The Man Who Was Thursday" and it is awesome.

Whoops :lol:

But yeah, it's a great book.

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts
"The hardest part isn't finding who we need to be, it's being content with who you are"-The Ataris
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts

"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself. 'Mankind'. Basically, it's made up of two separate words---'mank' and 'ind'. What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind." - Jack Handy.

strangeisland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 strangeisland
Member since 2009 • 1153 Posts

"I am the most awesomest person evar!" - Myself

Aspen706

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Aspen706
Member since 2010 • 4560 Posts

I buy shoe with room for big hoof, my mom always said Mikhal you foot belong to yeti. From Mikhal Gorbon.

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
"I am not concerned that you have fallen, I am concerned that you arise."
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

"I'm done with this mother******* bull****!" - Sir Legend77

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
"True knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius

"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself. 'Mankind'. Basically, it's made up of two separate words---'mank' and 'ind'. What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind." - Jack Handy.

cd_rom
No, it's "Man" and "kind". :P
Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I'm all out of gum."

I really like that for some reason, especially going around saying that :P

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

"I expect better manners from my guests Luthor" - Superman 2

"I've never seen garbage eat garbage before" - Superman 2

"I'm going to break you Mega Man" - Mega Man 4

"Would you like to be a pepper too?" - Short Circuit

"Hi honey, what is for dinner?" - Short Circuit

"Johnny Five is alive!" - Short Circuit

"Need more input." - Short Circuit

"Johnny Five makes mistakes because he's alive." - Short Circuit 2

"You scored 50,000 on Double Dragon?!" - The Wizard

Avatar image for the_16th_knight
the_16th_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 the_16th_knight
Member since 2010 • 34 Posts
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." - Bilbo Baggins (haha I loved that)
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 PannicAtack

Dream: Things need not have happened to be true. Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot.

- The Sandman, #19 "A Midsummer Night's Dream"

Prospero: We are such stuff ss dreams are made on; and our little life is rounded with a sleep.

- The Tempest

"This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force."

- Dorothy Parker, referring to eitherBenito Mussolini'sThe Cardinal's MistressorAyn Rand'sAtlas Shrugged. Works for me, either way.

Rikardur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rikardur
Member since 2008 • 9290 Posts

"You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone." - Nate Fisher

"I'm forever near a stereo saying, 'What the **** is this GARBAGE?' And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers." - Nick Cave

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age." - H.P. Lovecraft

Jay_Willa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jay_Willa
Member since 2007 • 123 Posts

"Love is not all wine and roses...sometimes it's handcuffs and cheese." - Tim Minchin

"I like my coffee like i like my women...in a plastic cup." - Eddie Izzard

"this is not a game of who the f**k are you." - Eddie Izzard

" To be gorgeous and high and true and fine and fluffy and moist and sticky and lovely all you have to do is believe that one is gorgeous and high and true and fine and fluffy and moist and sticky and lovely." - Stephen Fry

ShadowJax04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ShadowJax04
Also, Barney Stinson with "When I get said, I stop being sad and be awesome instead!" - definately deserves a mention.