**POLL** Do you believe that The Bible is the Word of God?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MatthewX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MatthewX
Member since 2007 • 160 Posts

Why or why not?

Here are some sources to get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible

http://www.bidstrup.com/bible.htm

http://www.allabouttruth.org/bible-origin.htm

IMO:

Personally, I am sceptical about the notion that this book is of divine origin. Why would the creator of the universe only divulge his revelation telepathically to a few men in a small culture of people in the Mediterranean and not to everyone everywhere? It just seems like Judeo-Christianity is just another religion among thousands.

Please keep all religious discussion in here for now:

Feel free to also discuss whether or not you believe there is a god; philosophical discussion on the origin of the universe, why there is life, and whether or not you believe that there is an afterlife.

Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
No. The bible is the word of men, who were "inspired" by God. Unless I hear the big man himself, I will accept nothing else.
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
The Bible is the word of the people who believe in God.
tsduv21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 tsduv21
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts
[QUOTE="Agent-Zero"]No. The bible is the word of men, who were "inspired" by God. Unless I hear the big man himself, I will accept nothing else.

This. If you saw a long haired, bearded old man on the subway proclaiming he's a prophet you'd pass him as a nut.
ACL0V3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ACL0V3R
Member since 2008 • 2273 Posts

Lol lots (well some) people voting but not really defending their answers...

Commander-Gree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Commander-Gree
Member since 2009 • 4929 Posts
Not sure.
gamedude2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gamedude2020
Member since 2004 • 3795 Posts

dunno, could have been written by some guy with OCD

The_Bio_Shu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_Bio_Shu
Member since 2010 • 550 Posts
no, i wrote it.
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts

dunno, could have been written by some guy with OCD

gamedude2020
What would OCD have anything to do with writing the Bible?
stupid4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 80

#10 stupid4
Member since 2008 • 3695 Posts

No, the bible is man's interpertation of God's word

bededog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#11 bededog
Member since 2005 • 8579 Posts
No, the book is a word of man and deities don't exist.
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
I think it might contain insight into God, and might even be The word of God. But other people must have had access to something too... I like to think that there is some truth to other religions as well. But then again maybe there is no god to begin with. I'm really ambivalent on this issue :(
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
No.
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts

No, the bible is man's interpertation of God's word

stupid4
I like this, most Christians would strongly disagree but it makes sense.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

I'm going to go with a resounding yes. Specifically, I hold to a "generally literal" interpretation of Scripture.

For example, I believe the Gospels to be a literal and historical account of the person of Jesus. The only times within the Gospels the text is not literal is when Jesus uses figures of speech such as exaggeration, metaphor, etc. Other examples might be the Proverbs which are statements which are generally true but not promises and the Psalms are emotional responses of an individual towards God (and thus not always literal). Generally speaking, when a text is poetic in nature I interpret it less literally. While I know many do not keep to my same understanding, one cannot argue that the Bible is completely metaphorical with passages like 1 Cor 15:14, "And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. "

Why do I believe the text to be the Word of God? Well, after spending countless hours in study over the past several years I find tremendous difficulty believing the text to not be more important than any other text. Looking at topics such as fulfilled prophecies, textual criticism, a historical look at the time of Scripture being written, etc., I cannot find any legitimate arguments that the text has even been changed since its conception. For example, I believe the Gospel of Luke was literally written by the person Luke, Paul's writings were genuinely written by Paul, Isaiah was written by the singular author Isaiah, etc.

Between Scripture and the person of Jesus, I cannot believe that the Bible to be anything but divine.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Why or why not?

Here are some sources to get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible

http://www.bidstrup.com/bible.htm

http://www.allabouttruth.org/bible-origin.htm

IMO:

Personally, I am sceptical about the notion that this book is of divine origin. Why would the creator of the universe only divulge his revelation telepathically to a few men in a small culture of people in the Mediterranean and not to everyone everywhere? It just seems like Judeo-Christianity is just another religion among thousands.

MatthewX

If it was easy to believe, they wouldn't call it Faith. To each their own.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#17 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
I believe that the Bible is written by men who believed in God.
lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

Nope, Zeus, and the other olympians wouldn't write such a heretical thing:x

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
As of now, I have no opinion on the matter.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#20 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
1st, The Bible is a collection of Books. 2nd...."God" is a name of someone other than The Most High.
SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6967 Posts
No. If there is a god, it would be the height of arrogance to believe that we could literally fathom his word let alone write it down properly. It is the equivalent of expecting insects to understand English.
Dariency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 Dariency
Member since 2003 • 9464 Posts

I can't honestly say without reading all of the other religious texts. Either way, it's an interesting book, but with so many different translations who knows how much of it's word left intact.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

No. God isn't a someone or a something.

I believe God is just the creation of everything. Silly humans wrote the Bible from their beliefs. I see it as a message of understanding life.

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

I think this sums it up nicely.

god word

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mindstorm
Personally, I am sceptical about the notion that this book is of divine origin. Why would the creator of the universe only divulge his revelation telepathically to a few men in a small culture of people in the Mediterranean and not to everyone everywhere?.MatthewX
Well if one looks at the promise of God towards Abraham then you have your answer. In Genesis 12:2-3 the text states, "I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you." Through Abraham the Jewish people would arise and through them would Jesus be born. In keeping to the idea that the gift of salvation is given through the "seed of Abraham" (which is ultimately Jesus), all the nations will eventually hear of God's Word. Galatians 3 talks about this a bit. Also, it seems as if you are not taking into account the importance of evangelism in Christianity. For, the very last commandment of Jesus before ascending into heaven is seen in most of the Gospels as well as Acts. Matthew 28:19 puts it this way, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 topgunmv

[QUOTE="MatthewX"]Personally, I am sceptical about the notion that this book is of divine origin. Why would the creator of the universe only divulge his revelation telepathically to a few men in a small culture of people in the Mediterranean and not to everyone everywhere?.mindstorm
Well if one looks at the promise of God towards Abraham then you have your answer. In Genesis 12:2-3 the text states, "I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you." Through Abraham the Jewish people would arise and through them would Jesus be born. In keeping to the idea that the gift of salvation is given through the "seed of Abraham" (which is ultimately Jesus), all the nations will eventually hear of God's Word. Galatians 3 talks about this a bit. Also, it seems as if you are not taking into account the importance of evangelism in Christianity. For, the very last commandment of Jesus before ascending into heaven is seen in most of the Gospels as well as Acts. Matthew 28:19 puts it this way, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."

That doesn't answer his question though.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Yes, it is the reason that I am a Christian.

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts

No. God isn't a someone or a something.

I believe God is just the creation of everything. Silly humans wrote the Bible from their beliefs. I see it as a message of understanding life.

Gaming-Planet
This pretty much sums up my beliefs.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mindstorm

[QUOTE="mindstorm"][QUOTE="MatthewX"]Personally, I am sceptical about the notion that this book is of divine origin. Why would the creator of the universe only divulge his revelation telepathically to a few men in a small culture of people in the Mediterranean and not to everyone everywhere?.topgunmv

The reason it is like that is because its a fulfillment of a promise of God. Salvation is to come by one individual, one who was promised from the beginning (aka, Jesus). How is that not the answer? One could try to argue that God could have done it another way aside from that, but any answer is purely hypothetical.
cjek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cjek
Member since 2003 • 14327 Posts
To me it's a historical text. Like the Qur'an or texts of other religions. Not the word of God.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
No, because I don't believe in God. It was written by men.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 topgunmv

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="mindstorm"] Well if one looks at the promise of God towards Abraham then you have your answer. In Genesis 12:2-3 the text states, "I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you." Through Abraham the Jewish people would arise and through them would Jesus be born. In keeping to the idea that the gift of salvation is given through the "seed of Abraham" (which is ultimately Jesus), all the nations will eventually hear of God's Word. Galatians 3 talks about this a bit. Also, it seems as if you are not taking into account the importance of evangelism in Christianity. For, the very last commandment of Jesus before ascending into heaven is seen in most of the Gospels as well as Acts. Matthew 28:19 puts it this way, "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."mindstorm

The reason it is like that is because its a fulfillment of a promise of God. Salvation is to come by one individual, one who was promised from the beginning (aka, Jesus). How is that not the answer? One could try to argue that God could have done it another way aside from that, but any answer is purely hypothetical.

I'm not going to debate your faith, so I'll just leave it here.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Imo, it is possible that it is not the word of god at all (ie it was written entirely out of the imagination of the people back then) or that it is just influenced by god.

Even when I was a Christian, I never believed that scripture is possible to not be corrupted by the ones who wrote it.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mindstorm

I'm not going to debate your faith, so I'll just leave it here.

topgunmv

Fair enough. But does my argument at the least make sense when looking at my perspective?

Ingenemployee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ingenemployee
Member since 2007 • 2307 Posts

Well, being an atheist...

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
Well, considering there is no God, the answer is a definitive NO...even if I were a believer, I wouldnt take it as the word of God as it has been re-written, revised, translated, and re-interpreted so many times...Not to mention so many of the books were purposefully forgotten...
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 topgunmv

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]I'm not going to debate your faith, so I'll just leave it here.

mindstorm

Fair enough. But does my argument at the least make sense when looking at my perspective?

From your perspective, yes.

wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
I have way too much common sense to blindly trust the writings of some dudes from 2000 years ago. Why should I believe what they have to say?
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

No. The bible is the word of men, who were "inspired" by God. Unless I hear the big man himself, I will accept nothing else. Agent-Zero

Pretty much this.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
Out of curiosity, is there anyone here who regards the Bible as the perfect and inerrant Word of God? I'm just curious how this is squared with the times it has been edited and translation into other languages
MatthewX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MatthewX

Unless I hear the big man himself, I will accept nothing else. Agent-Zero

THANK YOU!

I totally agree; I don't want to listen to someone speaking for someone else.

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Nope. It's not and it never was.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
Sure. Though I don't know if it's the words of God.
kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts

At the end of the gospel acclamation the priest says: "This is the word of the Lord." God spoke through the people who wrote the books.

By no means can it be perfect, but by and large it must be true judging by its popularity.

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

Well man created god so in a way yes.

But in a far more accurate way no, not at all.

Vaz126

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Vaz126
Member since 2010 • 84 Posts

Anyone can write something down.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#49 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

No, even if/when I believed in God I didn't think it was. It was written by men, in some cases decades after Jesus Christ's death. Yes I can see how one can say it was "inspired by God/Jesus", but I cannot for the life of me understand how one can think it's "the word of God" when it's admittedly written by other men.

MatthewX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MatthewX

[QUOTE="MatthewX"]Personally, I am sceptical about the notion that this book is of divine origin. Why would the creator of the universe only divulge his revelation telepathically to a few men in a small culture of people in the Mediterranean and not to everyone everywhere?.mindstorm

First of all, why would God need a certain race of people for his son to be born into?

Second, how could Jesus have been a descendant of Abraham when he didn't have a human father who came from that lineage?