Police officer charged in fatal shooting of unarmed man who had just survived...

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

This is fncked up. http://news.yahoo.com/ferrell-kerrick-police-unarmed-shooting-charlotte-191520307.html

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

As he should have been. What is the issue?

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AmazonTreeBoa

WhiteKnight77
No it's not messed up that the cop was charged. It is messed up that the cop killed an unarmed man that was simply looking for help.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

AmazonTreeBoa
No it's not messed up that the cop was charged. It is messed up that the cop killed an unarmed man that was simply looking for help.

I think I'll do that on GTA 5.
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

its never a good idea to charge at police officers

Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts

Flubbbs
You're right. It's never good to corner a savage and afraid animal.
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

Kinda shows how f*cked up society is, just letting that poor guy die on the streets onstead of helping him. Disgusting.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts
[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

AmazonTreeBoa

Kerrick and two other responding officers surrounded Ferrell, who immediately charged at the police, Monroe said. One officer tried unsuccessfully to subdue Ferrell with a taser. Kerrick then fired his weapon "several times." article
if he was looking for help, you'd think he'd ask for it, rather than attacking three police officers. shooting him was definitely excessive, considering that they had 3 officers who could have subdued him; but it's not as simple as a cop shooting an innocent person for no reason.
Avatar image for deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
Member since 2009 • 2944 Posts
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

Sword-Demon

Kerrick and two other responding officers surrounded Ferrell, who immediately charged at the police, Monroe said. One officer tried unsuccessfully to subdue Ferrell with a taser. Kerrick then fired his weapon "several times." article
if he was looking for help, you'd think he'd ask for it, rather than attacking three police officers. shooting him was definitely excessive, considering that they had 3 officers who could have subdued him; but it's not as simple as a cop shooting an innocent person for no reason.

How is that attacking, he was probably running to them for help...
Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

[QUOTE="Sword-Demon"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]No it's not messed up that the cop was charged. It is messed up that the cop killed an unarmed man that was simply looking for help.Person0

According to this and other articles, he refused orders to stop, was hit with a taser, which he walked through as if nothing happened, and continued on towards the officers (one officer in particular) who THEN after all of that, discharged his weapon.

Not saying the police officer was in the right, simply saying that its not like he ran towards them waving his hands yelling for help only to be shot.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

AmazonTreeBoa

According to the story the man charged at the officers before he was shot. I wouldn't be surprised if he was in shock and didn't realized what he was doing, which is why I believe a through investigation is needed.

On the other hand, your comments make it sound like the officer just walked up to him after the crash and filled him full of bullets for no reason whatsoever. Just a little bit misleading compared to what was reported.
brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 brucewayne69
Member since 2012 • 2864 Posts
[QUOTE="Flubbbs"]

Rich3232

This is so edgy lol so edgy wow such edge
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AmazonTreeBoa

Sword-Demon

He never attacked the police. And he may not have been all their in the head due to the accident. It could have knocked him loopy for all we know.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="Sword-Demon"] [quote="article"] Kerrick and two other responding officers surrounded Ferrell, who immediately charged at the police, Monroe said. One officer tried unsuccessfully to subdue Ferrell with a taser. Kerrick then fired his weapon "several times." Squeets

According to this and other articles, he refused orders to stop, was hit with a taser, which he walked through as if nothing happened, and continued on towards the officers (one officer in particular) who THEN after all of that, discharged his weapon.

Not saying the police officer was in the right, simply saying that its not like he ran towards them waving his hands yelling for help only to be shot.

So 1 taser shot then straight to bullets.... it was 3 vs 1. plenty of other things to use like another taser, pepper spay, hands, batons....
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

[QUOTE="Flubbbs"]

Rich3232

Whoa wtf where have you been?

brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 brucewayne69
Member since 2012 • 2864 Posts

[QUOTE="Rich3232"][QUOTE="Flubbbs"]

Aljosa23

me?
Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sword-Demon
[QUOTE="Sword-Demon"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]No it's not messed up that the cop was charged. It is messed up that the cop killed an unarmed man that was simply looking for help.Person0

I really have no idea, but when you say someone is "charging" at you, that carries an aggressive connotation. and if you see 3 police officers with a taser and a gun pointed at you, what person in their right mind would think running/charging at them is a good idea? that thought process just doesn't add up to me. and did this guy not have a cell phone he could use to call for help? maybe the crash addled his brain or something, idk
Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Rich3232

Aljosa23

College and shit.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b
[QUOTE="Sword-Demon"][QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="Sword-Demon"]

I really have no idea, but when you say someone is "charging" at you, that carries an aggressive connotation. and if you see 3 police officers with a taser and a gun pointed at you, what person in their right mind would think running/charging at them is a good idea? that thought process just doesn't add up to me. and did this guy not have a cell phone he could use to call for help? maybe the crash addled his brain or something, idk

Well that's why they use a word like charge. He had no idea whats going on, he was just in a crash and the house he went to wouldn't help him, cops are supposed to be helpful.
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#22 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

Wow, sad.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

ad1x2

According to the story the man charged at the officers before he was shot. I wouldn't be surprised if he was in shock and didn't realized what he was doing, which is why I believe a through investigation is needed.

On the other hand, your comments make it sound like the officer just walked up to him after the crash and filled him full of bullets for no reason whatsoever. Just a little bit misleading compared to what was reported.

The officers, not knowing what really transpired should have been a bit more cautious. Now, the woman could have asked what was going on and might have gotten an answer as to what was happening and why a stranger was pounding on her door in the middle of the night (relatively). I don't know about anyone else, but any crash I have been in was enough to put me in shock (and anger over a drunk running a red light in one instance). It really is hard enough to tell cops what happened in daylight, much less after dark and half mile from where the wreck happened.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="Rich3232"] You're right. It's never good to corner a savage and afraid animal.Rich3232

College and shit.

I know dat feel, bro, I know.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sword-Demon
[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="Sword-Demon"][QUOTE="Person0"] How is that attacking, he was probably running to them for help...

Well that's why they use a word like charge. He had no idea whats going on, he was just in a crash and the house he went to wouldn't help him, cops are supposed to be helpful.

none of us know what was going on in his head, so there's no sense in acting like you do. I'm not saying the cops were right, shooting him was definitely excessive; but put yourself in their shoes: you were just called to a house for an attempted break-in, you surround the suspect (not knowing he was just in a car accident), who immediately starts running towards you. you order him to stop, he doesn't listen. you shoot him with a taser, he doesn't stop. Now what? If I were in that situation, I'd say it would be pretty easy to see that as an attack, rather than someone asking for your help. like I said, shooting was excessive, but under the circumstances, you can't blame them for seeing him as a threat.
Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts
One less potential criminal off the street. Good days work for the police.
ZombieVirolina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ZombieVirolina
Member since 2013 • 868 Posts

Flubbbs

Ever thought the guy was injured and disoriented?  Also, in police terms, taking a step towards officers unsolicited is referred to as a "charge".

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="Sword-Demon"] I really have no idea, but when you say someone is "charging" at you, that carries an aggressive connotation. and if you see 3 police officers with a taser and a gun pointed at you, what person in their right mind would think running/charging at them is a good idea? that thought process just doesn't add up to me. and did this guy not have a cell phone he could use to call for help? maybe the crash addled his brain or something, idkSword-Demon

none of us know what was going on in his head, so there's no sense in acting like you do. I'm not saying the cops were right, shooting him was definitely excessive; but put yourself in their shoes: you were just called to a house for an attempted break-in, you surround the suspect (not knowing he was just in a car accident), who immediately starts running towards you. you order him to stop, he doesn't listen. you shoot him with a taser, he doesn't stop. Now what? If I were in that situation, I'd say it would be pretty easy to see that as an attack, rather than someone asking for your help. like I said, shooting was excessive, but under the circumstances, you can't blame them for seeing him as a threat.

Well all we have is officer's account who are going to twist the story to make themselves sound better.

I still dont get the whole tased -> shot part. A taser has a really short range and if I guy is running at you if the taser fails you have no time, the cop must have shot pretty much instantly after the other cop shot a taser. He probably didn't even feel the taser or have time to react to it before getting shot.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sword-Demon
[QUOTE="Person0"][QUOTE="Sword-Demon"][QUOTE="Person0"] Well that's why they use a word like charge. He had no idea whats going on, he was just in a crash and the house he went to wouldn't help him, cops are supposed to be helpful.

Well all we have is officer's account who are going to twist the story to make themselves sound better. I still get the whole tased -> shot part. A taser has a really short range and if I guy is running at you if the taser fails you have no time, the cop must have shot pretty much instantly after the other cop shot a taser. He probably didn't even feel the taser or have time to react to it before getting shot.

yeah, it's possible that they're lying, but it's the closest thing to the facts that we'll ever have. either way, the cop's getting charged
Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Rich3232

[QUOTE="Rich3232"][QUOTE="Aljosa23"]Whoa wtf where have you been?

Aljosa23

College and shit.

I know dat feel, bro, I know.

Classes are easy, but for some reason I"m constantly busy with stuff now
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
Fvcking cops
Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Sad situation.

If the officers involved ARE telling the truth then I kind of understand where the shooting came in, granted it was still excessive (especially 7 bullets I think they said) and not their best option, but they can't read minds and know what the man was thinking and if he charged like they said they had a right to defend themselves.

Sad thing is that this could very well be true and the man likely was just suffering from a closed head injury which can make people aggressive. I have actually taken care of patients with closed head injuries and at least one was very combative anytime we tried to help take care of them. Their brain gets messed up and they suddenly don't know what is going on and such changes can very easily bring up an aggressive response.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44717 Posts
I wonder myself what part the woman who called 911 played in this incident, I mean he went to her doorstep to ask for help and she slammed the door in his face, hit the police panic button and called 911 to report the guy. I mean was she like "there's a thug on my porch trying to break in to maybe rape, rob, and or murder me, please send help!".
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Sad situation.

If the officers involved ARE telling the truth then I kind of understand where the shooting came in, granted it was still excessive (especially 7 bullets I think they said) and not their best option, but they can't read minds and know what the man was thinking and if he charged like they said they had a right to defend themselves.

Sad thing is that this could very well be true and the man likely was just suffering from a closed head injury which can make people aggressive. I have actually taken care of patients with closed head injuries and at least one was very combative anytime we tried to help take care of them. Their brain gets messed up and they suddenly don't know what is going on and such changes can very easily bring up an aggressive response.

LostProphetFLCL

I don't.. If THREE officers can't handle a single unarmed guy with out resorting to gunning him down.. It's time for a career change, because if they can't handle those odds.. How the hell can I trust them patroling the streets and keeping people safe?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#35 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

Sad situation.

sSubZerOo

I don't.. If THREE officers can't handle a single unarmed guy with out resorting to gunning him down.. It's time for a career change, because if they can't handle those odds.. How the hell can I trust them patroling the streets and keeping people safe?

Judging from his photos, I expect an excuse to be that he was a college football player with above average athleticism and normal police are not capable of physical confrontations against that level of ability, so they resort to weapons. Deadly force was then used in order to subdue a menacing threat that at that point might have just been intimidating because of his size.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

Sad situation.

BranKetra

Judging from his photos, I expect an excuse to be that he was a college football player with above average athleticism and normal police are not capable of physical confrontations against that level of ability, so they resort to weapons. Deadly force was then used in order to subdue a menacing threat that at that point might have just been intimidating because of his size.

Three grown men, trained to deal with this stuff.. With tasers, pepper spray and numerous other such things.. And if they were intimidated, guess what? Don't be police officer.. I can't stand these excuses for police officers when it comes to things like this.. If they can't properly handle situation like this, how the hell can we trust them with this point forward with any physical altercation that may occur with a suspect?

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LostProphetFLCL

Sad situation.

sSubZerOo

Like I said the shooting was a bit excessive, but if you have a guy suppossedly NOT being effected by a tasing I would be more than a little concerned that said person might be riding some psycho high giving them extreme strength.

I do think they should have tried restraining, but I can see someone panicking when a man comes charging at them while brushing off th shock of a taser. That is scary **** and you never know if someone might be high on something making them MONSTERS physically.

Regardless of how justified shooting was, 7 shots definitely sounds quite excessive to me. The officer pretty much emptied a full clip into the man...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

Sad situation.

LostProphetFLCL

Like I said the shooting was a bit excessive, but if you have a guy suppossedly NOT being effected by a tasing I would be more than a little concerned that said person might be riding some psycho high giving them extreme strength.

I do think they should have tried restraining, but I can see someone panicking when a man comes charging at them while brushing off th shock of a taser. That is scary **** and you never know if someone might be high on something making them MONSTERS physically.

Regardless of how justified shooting was, 7 shots definitely sounds quite excessive to me. The officer pretty much emptied a full clip into the man...

That makes absolutely no sense.. You know how a taser works right? Because you could be in psycho high and it wouldn't make difference.. When your tased your muscles contract and they work against you, causing you to collapse..

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#39 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

LostProphetFLCL
Do you think drugs are the only reason why a person would be unaffected by electric shock?
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LostProphetFLCL

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

Sad situation.

sSubZerOo

That makes absolutely no sense.. You know how a taser works right? Because you could be in psycho high and it wouldn't make difference.. When your tased your muscles contract and they work against you, causing you to collapse..

[/QUOTE

Well ACCORDING TO THE OFFICERS the taser DID NOT EFFECT the man. Now if they aren't full of **** (which there is a good chance they ARE in this situation) would a man not being effected by said device not be cause for concern?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-59f03d6ce656b

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

LostProphetFLCL

[/QUOTE

Well ACCORDING TO THE OFFICERS the taser DID NOT EFFECT the man. Now if they aren't full of **** (which there is a good chance they ARE in this situation) would a man not being effected by said device not be cause for concern?

Maybe the cop should aim better.
Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
Dirty pigs deserve the chair
Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts
Doesn't that suck.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#44 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44717 Posts
damn, I was reading today the officer shot 12 times, hitting him 10 times
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

IF he was white he would have lived. The lady would have let him in and sit down and call an ambulance.

The police would have hugged him and called an ambulance.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

IF he was white he would have lived. The lady would have let him in and sit down and call an ambulance.

Jankarcop
Why do you have to assume the lady was racist? The guy comes at the door in the middle of the night banging on the door thinking its her husband, she was basically alone.
-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts
[QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

fueled-system
Why do you have to assume the lady was racist? The guy comes at the door in the middle of the night banging on the door thinking its her husband, she was basically alone.

never heard of a thief that knocks before entering.
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts
[QUOTE="fueled-system"][QUOTE="Jankarcop"]

-Renegade

never heard of a thief that knocks before entering.

.....You would be surprised I guess.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts

brucewayne69

This is so edgy lol so edgy wow such edge

:lol: Bruce you made me laugh.....