People don't like good movies anymore...

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zero5000X
Member since 2004 • 8314 Posts

Sweeney Todd only made $9,350,000 at the Box Office so far whereas National Treasure 2 made 45.5 million...

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809834155/info;_ylt=Aj5a_KUvnNyjVkmCQpdWfKlfVXcA

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809839449/info;_ylt=At_YlmbZjj_VT5dqARo_v.9fVXcA
FragStains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FragStains
Member since 2003 • 20668 Posts
Some people have a different definitions as to what constitutes 'good'.
CrimzonTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 CrimzonTide
Member since 2007 • 12187 Posts
I have to admit, I saw that first National Treasure crap and had to leave the theatre. Why anyone would pay to see a sequal is beyond me...
Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Zero5000X

Some people have a different definitions as to what constitutes 'good'.FragStains

Yeah I guess some people don't like amazing acting and would rather watch a movie thats exactly the same as the first one.

kirk4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kirk4ever
Member since 2005 • 3543 Posts

I have to admit, I saw that first National Treasure crap and had to leave the theatre. Why anyone would pay to see a sequal is beyond me...CrimzonTide

a while back i posted a question here" who the heck would pay 140$ million for this painting?

Someone said it the best..its just " aesthetics"

Ilived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Ilived
Member since 2007 • 5516 Posts
Nobody likes musicals.
-Sniper99-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#7 -Sniper99-
Member since 2004 • 8983 Posts
I haven't seen number 2 yet, though I enjoyed the first one:) And Sweeney Todd is a musical, and a lot of casual people won't like that
Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Quadrifoglio
Member since 2006 • 5451 Posts

Nobody likes musicals.Ilived

Exactly.

forgot_it

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 forgot_it
Member since 2004 • 6756 Posts
I liked I am Legend =)
CrimzonTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CrimzonTide
a while back i posted a question here" who the heck would pay 140$ million for this painting? Someone said it the best..its just " aesthetics"kirk4ever
More like a frivolous waste of money from some rich idiot who can't find a way to spend his money any better...
Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Thechaninator
Member since 2005 • 5187 Posts

Correcto and I say for good reason. Musicals are trash IMO. Usually more song focused than any sort of compelling story or character, never innovative, usually not great camera work, and worst of all they are almost always incredibly boring...

Really, I could care less about Sweeney. I was turned off from the get go and it was made even worse by my finding out it's a musical. THe critics can rave all they want, I am not willing to pay money to see it.

Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zero5000X
and besides having Johnny Depp in a movie automatically makes it good.
ElZilcho90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 ElZilcho90
Member since 2006 • 6157 Posts

[QUOTE="kirk4ever"]a while back i posted a question here" who the heck would pay 140$ million for this painting? Someone said it the best..its just " aesthetics"CrimzonTide
More like a frivolous waste of money from some rich idiot who can't find a way to spend his money any better...

"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."

Art is completely subjective. What is good art for one person is a waste of space for another. So someone thinks that pice of artwork is $140 million. Let them pay that much for it. Me? I'm not impressed by that piece, and as such, wouldn't pay any price for it.

What is "good" comes down to personal taste. Sweeney Todd may be one person's all-time favorite movie, another person may walk out after the first 10 minutes.

CrimzonTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CrimzonTide
"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it." Art is completely subjective. What is good art for one person is a waste of space for another. So someone thinks that pice of artwork is $140 million. Let them pay that much for it. Me? I'm not impressed by that piece, and as such, wouldn't pay any price for it. What is "good" comes down to personal taste. Sweeney Todd may be one person's all-time favorite movie, another person may walk out after the first 10 minutes. ElZilcho90
I don't care that it's subjective...there are better ways to spend 140 million dollars...
SoberWarock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 SoberWarock
Member since 2005 • 3086 Posts
I always loved National Treasure. i'm for sure watching the next one.
Pearl_of_Egypt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pearl_of_Egypt
Member since 2007 • 4073 Posts

[QUOTE="Ilived"]Nobody likes musicals.Thechaninator

Correcto and I say for good reason. Musicals are trash IMO. Usually more song focused than any sort of compelling story or character, never innovative, usually not great camera work, and worst of all they are almost always incredibly boring...

Really, I could care less about Sweeney. I was turned off from the get go and it was made even worse by my finding out it's a musical. THe critics can rave all they want, I am not willing to pay money to see it.

A Nightmare Before Christmas would like to have a word with you.

Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Thechaninator
[QUOTE="Thechaninator"]

[QUOTE="Ilived"]Nobody likes musicals.Pearl_of_Egypt

Ugh, that movie i so overrated amongst the goth/emo crowd.....

kirk4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kirk4ever
[QUOTE="Pearl_of_Egypt"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"]

thats the other thing i hate..i love nightmare before christmas and im not even goth/emo..

Pearl_of_Egypt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Pearl_of_Egypt
Member since 2007 • 4073 Posts
[QUOTE="Pearl_of_Egypt"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"]

except it's a movie loved by all kinds of people, not just goth/emos.

Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Thechaninator
[QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="Pearl_of_Egypt"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"]

[QUOTE="Ilived"]Nobody likes musicals.Pearl_of_Egypt

That can be said of any movie as there are always exceptions.

It just so happens that movie is held up as godly in that particular culture and I personally don't see any reason as to why.....

Twas not good at all....

kirk4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kirk4ever
[QUOTE="Pearl_of_Egypt"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="Pearl_of_Egypt"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"]

It just so happens that movie is held up as godly in that particular culture and I personally don't see any reason as to why.....

Twas not good at all....

true and i highly respect your opinion..at the end of it all its just opinions...but honestly and PERSONALLY i am sad that sweeney todd didnt do so good..which will result in movies like"meet the spartans" :(

TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
I'm all over Sweeny Todd, want to go see it tomorrow as a matter of fact...But you have to consider, Tim Burton is a dark man. Alot of people probably don't like how dark and grisly the movie looks.
Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Thechaninator
[QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="Pearl_of_Egypt"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="Pearl_of_Egypt"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"]

[QUOTE="Ilived"]Nobody likes musicals.kirk4ever

Twas not good at all....

true and i highly respect your opinion..at the end of it all its just opinions...but honestly and PERSONALLY i am sad that sweeney todd didnt do so good..which will result in movies like"meet the spartans" :(

I think even the people involved knew Sweeney wouldn't do that well. They did so much to try and hide the fact that it was a musical up until its release.....

Oh and don't get me started on crap like Epic Movie and Meet the Spartans....

Honestly, you gottado a bit of research nowadays to find out what movies to check out. I never saw any advertisements for Brick and that was a great movie......

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
Well seeing how Sweeney Todd is a musical and that its rated R that alone takes away the large amount of viewers. Also take the fact that National Treasure is a movie the family can all go see, and the fact that when it comes to go ing to the theater most people would rather see an action type movie then a movie like Sweeney Todd.
Zero5000X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zero5000X

I think even the people involved knew Sweeney wouldn't do that well. They did so much to try and hide the fact that it was a musical up until its release.....

Honestly, you gottado a bit of research nowadays to find out what movies to check out. I never saw any advertisements for Brick and that was a great movie......

Thechaninator

yeah that explains why its been nominated for so many awards including motion picture of the year. Sweeney has the best actor and one of the best directors behind it.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts
When me and my friends went to the movies last Sunday, we planned to go see Sweeney Todd. However, the theater only had one screening for it, so we watched Walk Hard "for free" instead.
eyebrowless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27 eyebrowless
Member since 2006 • 1344 Posts

i cant wait to see Sweeney Todd.

and i love Nightmare Before Christmas, mostly out of nostalgia because i used to watch it all the time when i was very young. so seeing it every now and again makes me feel good.

also, i think Chronicles of Riddick is one of my top ten favorite movies and most people think it is trash

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#28 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

I'm all over Sweeny Todd, want to go see it tomorrow as a matter of fact...But you have to consider, Tim Burton is a dark man. Alot of people probably don't like how dark and grisly the movie looks.TheSystemLord1

saw sold well enough to make 3 sequels. being a musical thats not targetted for kids hurts it much more.

Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Thechaninator
[QUOTE="Thechaninator"]

Zero5000X

yeah that explains why its been nominated for so many awards including motion picture of the year. Sweeney has the best actor and one of the best directors behind it.

Critics don't give a damn about popular opinion and that bugs me to an extent. They are almost always stuck up though and I really just don't give a rats ass about their opinion.

I have one critic who I actually like. Dave White from movies.com is the only critic I listen to as he is just like me: Has knowlege of film and will look into films more than the average person yet he isn't stuck up to the point where he can't enjoy something like 300 even if it lacking in character and story.

He gave a great review for Sweeney if I remember correctly which is why I would see it if offered the chance, but I don't care enough to go spend money seeing the movie....

BTW did you know that both Alfred Hitchcok and Stanely Kubrick, two of the all-time greatest directors (Kubrick being my personal fav) never won an award for best director? Scorsese was also in this cgroup up until The Departed....

B05T0N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 B05T0N
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
[QUOTE="kirk4ever"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="Pearl_of_Egypt"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"][QUOTE="Pearl_of_Egypt"][QUOTE="Thechaninator"]

Twas not good at all....

That's because Brick was an indie release. It's also one of my top 10 favorite movies.
Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Thechaninator

[QUOTE="TheSystemLord1"]I'm all over Sweeny Todd, want to go see it tomorrow as a matter of fact...But you have to consider, Tim Burton is a dark man. Alot of people probably don't like how dark and grisly the movie looks.LoG-Sacrament

saw sold well enough to make 3 sequels. being a musical thats not targetted for kids hurts it much more.

It is because the story is still solid enough that it has people like me still interested. The first Saw was amazing and the sequels have been good enough, even if they aren't as good as the original.

Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Thechaninator

That's because Brick was an indie release. It's also one of my top 10 favorite movies.B05T0N

Exactly. You have to hear about it through the grapevine like I did. That was such a cool and refreshingly original movie. Not sure if it is in my top 10 though because I have seen some breathtakingly good movies.

B05T0N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 B05T0N
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

[QUOTE="B05T0N"]
That's because Brick was an indie release. It's also one of my top 10 favorite movies.Thechaninator

Exactly. You have to hear about it through the grapevine like I did. That was such a cool and refreshingly original movie. Not sure if it is in my top 10 though because I have seen some breathtakingly good movies.

Have you seen Hard Candy?
Avatar image for TheHostileRabbi
TheHostileRabbi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheHostileRabbi
Member since 2007 • 75 Posts

a musical isnt exactly a good example but i c what u mean

like last quarter we had a movie day and we could pick w/e movie we wanted under rated R

and me and my friends were suggesting movies like goodfellas, the departed, collateral, and well i mean we recomended some good ones that were mostly rated R but this chick just said while we were suggesting that "y do u guys suggest such bad movies?"

anyways we ended up watching Disturbia which while i like many movies that the academey recongize i did actully enjoy the movie

but still i mean the taste of movies in america is going down

zakkro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 zakkro
Member since 2004 • 48823 Posts
Meh, it would help if a lot of the good movies that came out this year weren't in "limited release" :x Damn that makes me mad.
Thechaninator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Thechaninator
[QUOTE="Thechaninator"]

[QUOTE="B05T0N"]
That's because Brick was an indie release. It's also one of my top 10 favorite movies.B05T0N

Have you seen Hard Candy?

No. It sounds pretty weird. I will put it on my huge list o movies to see along with Cruel Intentions and tons of random Asian horror movies.

Wslacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Wslacker
Member since 2003 • 2696 Posts
Am I missing something here? Are all of you here saying a great film has to have "yippie kayae mf" in it? Is a movie that has no sex, no violence in it good? No f- bombs ? Some of the best movies ever made were rated G or PG. I like to see violence, Jessica Alba nude etc. etc., but the story and acting are what really make a movie worth watching IMO. The original three Star Wars films had none of that, Neither did some of the old Alfred Hichcock films (And AH is one of the greatest horror creators of all time).
Ilived

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ilived
Member since 2007 • 5516 Posts

Am I missing something here? Are all of you here saying a great film has to have "yippie kayae mf" in it? Is a movie that has no sex, no violence in it good? No f- bombs ? Some of the best movies ever made were rated G or PG. I like to see violence, Jessica Alba nude etc. etc., but the story and acting are what really make a movie worth watching IMO. The original three Star Wars films had none of that, Neither did some of the old Alfred Hichcock films (And AH is one of the greatest horror creators of all time).Wslacker

I remember as a kid I used to fast forward Lion King whenever someone started to sing. I just can't stand it.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Well that's how people are now days.
Link256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Link256
Member since 2005 • 29195 Posts

When have they ever? Ever since Jaws was released 30 some what years ago, blockbusters have dominated the screens, with fairly decent portion of them being not all of that great.

Wslacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Wslacker
Member since 2003 • 2696 Posts

Well that's how people are now days.X360PS3AMD05

Ah, I see, you are an expert. *stands attentively and bows."

Oborozukiyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Oborozukiyo
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts
That's how it''s always been i assume, if a movie is truly good it won't be forgotten ten years from now.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Sweeney Todd is good? Sure, maybe it's better than National Treasure but good? Nah...

It's a movie for the critics, usually made to get an award.

inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts
maybe its becuz tim burton sucks
MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#45 MichaeltheCM
Member since 2005 • 22765 Posts
welcome to America :)
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts

I do :(

Putzwapputzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 Putzwapputzen
Member since 2005 • 4462 Posts
yeah well other people have different tastes. not everyone wanted to see a dark scary film.
Red-XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Red-XIII
Member since 2003 • 2739 Posts

[QUOTE="CrimzonTide"]I have to admit, I saw that first National Treasure crap and had to leave the theatre. Why anyone would pay to see a sequal is beyond me...kirk4ever

a while back i posted a question here" who the heck would pay 140$ million for this painting?

Someone said it the best..its just " aesthetics"

If I'm not mistaken, this is an artwork by Jackson Pollock. He's a very famous artist. Paying that much for an artwork is partially aesthetics, owning a piece of history and snobbery.

There's more to an artwork than 'aesthetics', a lot has to do with history, culture and psychology. Researching the artwork would reveal a lot about its meaning. But in the end, it's still an insane amount to pay for a painting, hence the snobbery.

Sexy_Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sexy_Pirate
Member since 2006 • 3298 Posts

I enjoyed I Am Legend, Transformers, 300, Spider Man...

TC, speak for yourself.

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts
I for one really am tired of the recycled crap that hollywood throws at us. What happened to movies that make you think? I've had enough of Chuck and Larry, Superbad, and all of thisjuvenile "lol sex!" crap.