Pantheism and Agnostic Theism are better than Atheism

• 73 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 RushKing
Member since 2009 • 1785 Posts

How can you claim to be 100% sure there is no deity? Couldn't existence count as a deity? Whats wrong with viewing the universe and it's laws of physics as a deity?

Atheists that claim that every type of theism is illogical and dumb are illogical.

I'm such a big dummy because I'm a theist! :roll:

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

most of us dont think about it,and nor care about it

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

I'll refer to Betrand Russel on this one:

As a philosopher, if I were speaking to a purely philosophic audience I should say that I ought to describe myself as an Agnostic, because I do not think that there is a conclusive argument by which one can prove that there is not a God. On the other hand, if I am to convey the right impression to the ordinary man in the street I think I ought to say that I am an Atheist, because when I say that I cannot prove that there is not a God, I ought to add equally that I cannot prove that there are not theHomericgods

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

almasdeathchild
yes, apatheist.
cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

My sh!ts are a deity.

TwoFace-BS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TwoFace-BS
Member since 2011 • 9531 Posts
I love how all the religious people seem to think their opinion/beliefs >>>>> Ours:lol:
RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RushKing
I love how all the religious people seem to think their opinion/beliefs >>>>> Ours:lol:TwoFace-BS
I'm not religous, I'm just theist.
Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

I make no claims of any kind of theism as being illogical. I just simply don't believe in god. Nor do I really care what others believe in.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

[QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]

Engrish_Major

yes, apatheist.

eh.....to many theist names in the world.....

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts

almasdeathchild
That's apathy, not atheism.
ganon92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 ganon92
Member since 2005 • 968 Posts

Any reasonable person won't say their claims are 100% true, everything has at least a tiny bit of doubt.

If you refer to the universe, or existence or whatever else as a "deity", the term just loses its meaning.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

How can you claim to be 100% sure there is no deity? Couldn't existence count as a deity? Whats wrong with viewing the universe and it's laws of physics as a deity?

Atheists that claim that every type of theism is illogical and dumb are illogical.

RushKing

I just said in another thread how religious certainty=/=scientific certainty. I don't deal in religious certainty, so I can be certain there is no god because I rely on scientific certainty. If one understands scientific certainty one will understand all the implications in that statement, if one does not understand it then one will probably call me militant.

I like pantheism because it has a sort of intuitive, semi-empirical appeal, but because it is only semi-empirical I cannot profess it as objectively true. I definitely don't like calling the universe a deity, more of an entity. As far as viewing the laws of physics as a deity, from a scientific standpoint it completely sullies scientific study. on a personal level, nothing wrong with it at all.

Illogical does not mean dumb, illogical means not conforming to the rules of logic. Since logic is based on what is known, the existence of god is illogical. Does that mean god does not exist? No, just that it's not logical to think so. This is why I say that faith and logic are two opposed schools, because one deals with what cannot be known and one is based on what can be known.

You're not a dummy if you're a theist, you're only a dummy if you claim that there's objective evidence for the existence of god (unless you have some new information that the rest of the world is not yet privy to).

RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RushKing

But the universe and its existance is known, so why can't it be a deity or a part of one? Wheather it can a be a deity or not is subjective, so how can you objectively and completely reject Pantheism?

Phaze-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Phaze-Two
Member since 2009 • 3444 Posts

RushKing

its pointless.

why can't i just call my keyboard a Unicorn?

RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RACiEP
Member since 2010 • 687 Posts

RushKing
I'm an agnostic atheist. I don't claim to know whether or not there is a god, but I simply don't believe in one. Just like bigfoot, I suppose it's possible one may exist, but I haven't come across anything that would make me believe so.
RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RushKing

[QUOTE="RushKing"]

Phaze-Two

its pointless.

You know objectively your keyboard isn't a unicorn, but you can't objectively know wheather or not existance and the universe could be or part of a deity.

ganon92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ganon92
Member since 2005 • 968 Posts
[QUOTE="RushKing"][QUOTE="Phaze-Two"]

[QUOTE="RushKing"]

its pointless.

You know objectivly know your keyboard isn't a unicorn, but you can't objectivly know wheather or not existance and the universe could be or part of a deity.

If your view isn't truth apt, then it is of no worth. The theism/atheism debate is over something that is either objectively true or false (the existence of God). Throwing words at the universe doesn't solve anything.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
if you don't believe in me you are going to hell
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
If you are confident in your belief, then why are you so defensive about it?
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

You know objectivly your keyboard isn't a unicorn, but you can't objectivly know wheather or not existance and the universe could be or part of a deity.

RushKing

That comes down to pragmatism for me.

RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RushKing
If you are confident in your belief, then why are you so defensive about it? foxhound_fox
Becuase I like it.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts

But the universe and its existance is known, so why can't it be a deity or a part of one? Wheather it can a be a deity or not is subjective, so how can you objectively and completely reject Pantheism?

RushKing
Once again, Russel's Teapot. It's not a question of "why can I" but more a question of "why shouldn't I". Sure, it's a possibility, but there is nothing to say I should acknowledge the possibility as fact.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 foxhound_fox
Becuase I like it.RushKing
Like what? The belief, or the act of defending it while showing insecurity?
metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts

What makes one belief better than another? Nobody truly knows what's the right religion is to follow so who are you to say that your is better?

RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 RushKing

[QUOTE="RushKing"]

Tylendal

Once again, Russel's Teapot. It's not a question of "why can I" but more a question of "why shouldn't I". Sure, it's a possibility, but there is nothing to say I should acknowledge the possibility as fact.

I'm not telling you to acknowledge the possibility as fact, I'm telling you to not completely reject the possibility.

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Tylendal
[QUOTE="RushKing"][QUOTE="Tylendal"][QUOTE="RushKing"]

I'm not telling you to acknowledge the possibility as fact, I'm telling you to not compleatly reject the possibility.

Okay, I don't completely reject the possibility. However, I don't completely reject the possibility that almost anything could happen, theoretically. The weight of evidence (eg: none) says that I shouldn't give any thought to the possibility unless something comes up that points to it. It's Ocham's Razor.
RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RushKing

[QUOTE="RushKing"][QUOTE="Tylendal"] Once again, Russel's Teapot. It's not a question of "why can I" but more a question of "why shouldn't I". Sure, it's a possibility, but there is nothing to say I should acknowledge the possibility as fact.Tylendal
I'm not telling you to acknowledge the possibility as fact, I'm telling you to not compleatly reject the possibility.

Okay, I don't completely reject the possibility. However, I don't completely reject the possibility that almost anything could happen, theoretically. The weight of evidence (eg: none) says that I shouldn't give any thought to the possibility unless something comes up that points to it. It's Ocham's Razor.

Well then, your not an Athiest. Athiests claim to know 100%.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 foxhound_fox
Athiests claim to know 100%.RushKing
No they don't. Only adolescent atheists rebelling against the beliefs they were brought up in do... because teenagers believe they know everything.
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

Well then, your not an Athiest. Athiests claim to know 100%.

RushKing

No they don't. They believe there is no God, but I have never met an atheist who claims to know for a fact that there is no God(s).

RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RushKing
[QUOTE="RushKing"]Athiests claim to know 100%.foxhound_fox
No they don't. Only adolescent atheists rebelling against the beliefs they were brought up in do... because teenagers believe they know everything.

Atheism is complete disbelief of a deity or deitys.
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 redstorm72

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"][QUOTE="RushKing"]Athiests claim to know 100%.RushKing

Belief =/= Fact

For example, I believeif I jump out of a building on the tenth story, I will die. But this is not a proven fact, there is still a slim chance I will survive.

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Tylendal

Not quite. Nothing is truly 100%, but I can claim that, looking at the weight of evidence, the existence of a deity or deities is unlikely enough to be considered inconsequential and not worth consideration. It's like saying that, theoretically, all the sub-atomic particles in my chair could suddenly have all their polarities line up in just the right way that it flies apart and re-arranges itself into a guinea-pig. I acknowledge that theoretically it is possible, but I would say quite confidently that it wouldn't happen.
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

But belief is differnt to knowledge and most religions do claim to "know".

My own agnosticism drives my atheism. If I wasn't agnostic about the truth claims inherent in absolute knowledge, I don't think I'd be interested in atheism.

RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RushKing

[QUOTE="RushKing"][QUOTE="foxhound_fox"] No they don't. Only adolescent atheists rebelling against the beliefs they were brought up in do... because teenagers believe they know everything.redstorm72

Belief =/= Fact

For example, I believeif I jump out of a building on the tenth story, I will die. But this is not a proven fact, there is still a slim chance I will survive.

Therefore its illogical for you to believe you have a 100% chance of dieing. Athiests that claim every type of theism is illogical are illogical. I do not claim to know the truth i'm giving my guess/theory.

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Tylendal

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

[QUOTE="RushKing"] Atheism is complete disbelief of a deity or deitys.RushKing

Belief =/= Fact

Therefore its illogical for you to believe you have a 100% chance of dieing. Athiests that claim every type of theism is illogical are illogical. I do not claim to know the truth i'm giving my guess/theory.

What's logical about theism, please tell me. On top of that, you've never actually said why "pantheism and agnostic theism are better than atheism". You've only stated that there is a greater than 0% chance that they're correct, which no one intelligent would ever deny. Still doesn't mean that there's any inherent merit in ascribing to them though.
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 redstorm72

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

[QUOTE="RushKing"] Atheism is complete disbelief of a deity or deitys.RushKing

Belief =/= Fact

No, they don't. Where are you getting this information? I don't believe in anyhting "100%" (and nobody should) because there is always a hint of doubt. But as I already stated, belief does not equal fact. If I have enough evidence though, I will act as if something is true (even if I don't "know" it is true).

Back to my example, I realize there is an incredibly small chance I will survive my fall from the tenth story. That doesn't mean I'm going to jump. Same thing with my non-belief in God. I realize there is a small chance that I am wrong, but I have seen absolutely no evidence to disuade me from my lack of belief, so I will continue non-believing.

No intelligent person ever claimed to know God's non-existance as a fact.

RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RushKing
[QUOTE="Tylendal"][QUOTE="RushKing"]

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

Belief =/= Fact

What's logical about theism, please tell me. On top of that, you've never actually said why "pantheism and agnostic theism are better than atheism". You've only stated that there is a greater than 0% chance that they're correct, which no one intelligent would ever deny. Still doesn't mean that there's any inherent merit in ascribing to them though.

Agnostic theism is more logical than Atheism becuase I don't claim to know the truth. Also, there is a big difference between debating about existance and debating about whether a man jumping of a 20 story building will live. Do you really believe origin of existance will ever be known?
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
Most Atheists don't say for 100% certainty that there is not a god. We just don't think there is one, and there is no reason to believe one. At least that's what I think..
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 foxhound_fox
Atheism is complete disbelief of a deity or deitys.RushKing
No, it isn't. It is a lack of belief in a God, gods and/or the supernatural. For instance, people who believe in the Abrahamic God lack belief in Zeus, Odin, Izanagi, etc. The difference comes from whether or not the lack of belief is an active disbelief, or merely a lack of belief through lack of knowledge of the deity.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
[QUOTE="RushKing"]Atheism is complete disbelief of a deity or deitys.foxhound_fox
No, it isn't. It is a lack of belief in a God, gods and/or the supernatural. For instance, people who believe in the Abrahamic God lack belief in Zeus, Odin, Izanagi, etc. The difference comes from whether or not the lack of belief is an active disbelief, or merely a lack of belief through lack of knowledge of the deity.

Yep, everyone is an athiest, but I just take it one God further..
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Tylendal

[QUOTE="Tylendal"][QUOTE="RushKing"] Therefore its illogical for you to believe you have a 100% chance of dieing. Athiests that claim every type of theism is illogical are illogical. I do not claim to know the truth i'm giving my guess/theory.

RushKing

Agnostic theism is more logical than Atheism becuase I don't claim to know the truth. Also, there is a big difference between debating about existance and debating about whether a man jumping of a 20 story building will live. Do you really believe origin of existance will ever be known?

If you say yours is better, and ours is wrong, than yes, you are claiming to know the truth. And no, it's not logical in the least to claim that a hypothetical idea is more likely than only claiming what we know to be true, and simply saying "we don't know, we're still learning" to everything we don't know.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 foxhound_fox
What's logical about theism, please tell me. Tylendal
There is nothing logical about theistic belief. It is a personal experience, that cannot be constrained by objective reasoning. Why you probably cannot understand why people hold theistic beliefs is because you are expecting it to hold true in a field of inquiry that it was never intended to be a part of.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Tylendal
[QUOTE="Tylendal"]What's logical about theism, please tell me. foxhound_fox
There is nothing logical about theistic belief. It is a personal experience, that cannot be constrained by objective reasoning. Why you probably cannot understand why people hold theistic beliefs is because you are expecting it to hold true in a field of inquiry that it was never intended to be a part of.

The concept is complete anathema to the scientific method. A "personal experience" is no reason to ignore the relative validity, merits, and harm of something.
RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 RushKing

[QUOTE="RushKing"][QUOTE="Tylendal"] What's logical about theism, please tell me. On top of that, you've never actually said why "pantheism and agnostic theism are better than atheism". You've only stated that there is a greater than 0% chance that they're correct, which no one intelligent would ever deny. Still doesn't mean that there's any inherent merit in ascribing to them though.Tylendal

If you say yours is better, and ours is wrong, than yes, you are claiming to know the truth. And no, it's not logical in the least to claim that a hypothetical idea is more likely than only claiming what we know to be true, and simply saying "we don't know, we're still learning" to everything we don't know.

No, I say mine is better becuase I do not claim to know the truth, Atheists do. Atheists are arrogant.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 foxhound_fox
The concept is complete anathema to the scientific method. A "personal experience" is no reason to ignore the relative validity, merits, and harm of something.Tylendal
Intuition is also completely anathema to the scientific method, yet people trust it everyday and it can help them. Just because theistic belief doesn't help you doesn't mean it cannot help others. And your disrespect for this proves that you are out with a grudge against belief rather than searching for your own answers.
Phaze-Two

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Phaze-Two
Member since 2009 • 3444 Posts

[QUOTE="Phaze-Two"]

[QUOTE="RushKing"]

RushKing

its pointless.

You know objectively your keyboard isn't a unicorn, but you can't objectively know wheather or not existance and the universe could be or part of a deity.

how do you differentiate them? what is it about the universe that makes it different? and if the universe is part of a deity wouldn't my keyboard be as well? so my keyboard is a unicorn, who happens to be a god as well. that's just as probable as what you're saying.

btw: i feel like it also needs to be mentioned that in order to assign the universe to a god, you would need extraordinary evidence before making a justified claim.

RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RushKing
[QUOTE="Phaze-Two"]

[QUOTE="RushKing"]

[QUOTE="Phaze-Two"]

its pointless.

how do you differentiate them? what is it about the universe that makes it different? and if the universe is part of a deity wouldn't my keyboard be as well? so my keyboard is a unicorn, who happens to be a god as well. that's just as probable as what you're saying.

btw: i feel like it also needs to be mentioned that in order to assign the universe to a god, you would need extraordinary evidence before making a justified claim.

Your keyboard is part of the universe therefore in my theory the keyboard is part of the deity. We know for a fact that keyboard has a different chemical composition than that of a mammal.
xxmatt125xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 xxmatt125xx
Member since 2005 • 1899 Posts
Well isn't that just a simple minded view and simply guess work, rather than actually looking at it for clues or evidence to show the reasoning behind your view point. Just because something is beyond our understanding at this point in time shouldn't mean resorting to guess work. Look at medicine through the ages, people once believed in sin/evil spirits caused illness but over time we started to learn just how the body functions, the same can be applied to the Universe. Little by little we understand more about how it works but to blindly say sure there is a god/deity what ever you want to call it on a hunch is foolish.
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts

We're Agnostic Atheist.

Eaisier to just say atheist. Does the clarification of whether we're agnostic or gnostic really matter?

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
Pantheism is really just a cute form of atheism. There's no substantial difference between the two - both reject the idea of a personal God, pantheism just redefines what "god" is to the point where "god's" existence is meaningless.