Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

Poll Pacific Rim vs Godzilla (21 votes)

Pacific Rim 67%
Godzilla 33%

So, two giant monster blockbusters release a year apart.

Godzilla of course carries the classic name of Godzilla. Pacific Rim pays homage to both influences of Godzilla and Godzilla like monster movies, and B-movie sci-fi films like Robot Jox and Robot Wars.

One doesn't have Bryan Cranston in it. The other one barely has Bryan Cranston in it.

Both are good films, but which is better?

• 
jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Godzilla.

Pacific Rim was so cheesy with the story line and acting.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts

I vote Pacific Rim, I thought it was fun, even if it was cheesy, but most importantly it was fun.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58976 Posts

I think Pacific Rim was a much better movie but some aspects I didn't like.

1. The main character Raleigh Becket is the main focus, but probably the most boring character in the movie (kinda the same problem as Godzilla). Generic American hero.

2. The special effects are sort of, abit so-so, even if the acual sequences themselfs are better than anything in similar movies. Particularly water battles. The water looked really shit.

The side story between Idris Elba and Rinko Kikruchi was probably the most interesting and most human element of the movie that makes it more than a bunch of shit just happening. Sadly, because Idris is black and Rinko is Asain, Del Toro (a well documented racist) didn't cast them as the lead characters.

This may not be true.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

I like both ..... but I prefer seriousness rather than cheezy/campy

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

Both kicked ass, but I'm going for Godzilla. Just a huge Godzilla fan, plus they left it open for a sequel.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Both films were disappointing, but at least pacific rim was original.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

Pacific Rim by a mile. Both had poorly written characters, stale acting and stories without much depth. Pacific Rim at least made up for this with constant action, creativity and a bit of originality. Godzilla just dragged along for almost two hours, giving us nothing we hadn't seen before, until it finally giving us what we came to see.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Pacific Rim was far more creative and action-packed. Godzilla was just, well Godzilla.

Both weren't that great.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

I saw both in IMAX, but it's Pacific Rim that had a huge smile plastered on my face the entire movie. It's basically the monster movie I've always wanted to see since I was a little kid. Godzilla was pretty good too, but I thought the plotting was uneven and there were many times through the movie that had my eyes rolling. The fight sequences when they finally allowed them to play out without cutting away was glorious though. My 9 year old said Godzilla was the best movie she's ever saw so there's that :P

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

You folks know what Godzilla and Bryan Cranston have in common in the movie "Godzilla"? They were both barely in it. If anything, the flick should have been titled "People" because that is what I saw in the vast majority of the film. Boring, or rather, completely uninteresting people doing very little to try and win me over while taking up valuable screen time. Why watch people watch gigantic monsters fight through broken windows, television screens, or otherwise obscured means? A friend of mine even stated that if you take out all the people in "Godzilla", absolutely nothing would have changed i.e. the movie would still have the same outcome. Cutting away right when the action is about to start is most definitely obnoxious as well. All in all, as a Godzilla fan, I got far more entertainment out of "Pacific Rim". Can't believe I shelled out extra for a 3D showing...

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19572 Posts

Godzilla (2014) was a pretty weak Godzilla film. I didn't hate it, but I was bored for a solid hour in the middle of it.

Meanwhile, Pacific Rim was hokey and sometimes completely cringe-worthy (those scientists are the worst!)...but at least it was stupid action-packed fun. For all of its faults, it had some memorable lines, Idris Elba, giant robots with giant swords, and Idris Elba. Idris Elba.

So I guess I preferred Pacific Elba?