Ot do you hate commercials? i know i do!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for diegosanchezMMA
diegosanchezMMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 diegosanchezMMA
Member since 2010 • 830 Posts

i mean seriously they last for a long time, in a show thats a half hour more than half of it is commercials

i mean come on!

i cant stand them some times it un bareable

what about you OT am i alone, does anyone else hate commercials or do you enjoy them?

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

They're only annoying when they happen too frequently. Other than that, I just do things on my computer while I wait for the show to start again. They make TV affordable for the average viewer, so I can't say I dislike them that much.

Avistann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Avistann
Member since 2008 • 7102 Posts
The only time they really bother me is during a movie that is being showed on a T.V. channel because I am just not used to the movie being broken up so much. It doesn't really bother me on shows that much.
diegosanchezMMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 diegosanchezMMA

They're only annoying when they happen too frequently. Other than that, I just do things on my computer while I wait for the show to start again. They make TV affordable for the average viewer, so I can't say I dislike them that much.

pianist

hahaaha kind of agree,

see some times i can flick through like 20 channels i want to watch they will all be on commercial i just be like dannnnng

hedden93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 hedden93
Member since 2009 • 5496 Posts

Thats why god made TIVO.

Blu_Falcon37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Blu_Falcon37
Member since 2006 • 4041 Posts

Sometimes. I just really hate commercials that are 5 minutes long.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
They're fine except for the abused pet commercials that make me cry.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
About eight minutes of a half hour program are commercials. That's not over half. I don't mind them. In fact, I like being able to break for a while. The only problem I have with them is that they're louder than the program itself often times and so I have to turn down the volume and turn it back when the program returns.
bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

Who likes commercials? I don't care much but they are terrible and useless.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

My problem is they break them up too much. Back in the day you would get a break half way through the show and at the end. Now you get like 10 seperate breaks during a half hour block and it ruins whatever you're watching.

diegosanchezMMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 diegosanchezMMA

Who likes commercials? I don't care much but they are terrible and useless.

bloodling

i dont know lol!!!

i bet some do lollll

daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 daqua_99
Member since 2005 • 11170 Posts

It makes television free. I get 12 channels for free thanks to commercials, with most of the decent shows you guys pay for in the US and UK, plus amazing local content. I have no problems with advertisements on television.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

It makes television free. I get 12 channels for free thanks to commercials, with most of the decent shows you guys pay for in the US and UK, plus amazing local content. I have no problems with advertisements on television.

daqua_99

If you only get 12 channels, you aren't getting most of anything. :P

bloodling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bloodling
Member since 2006 • 5822 Posts

Some commercials are pretty funny though.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

They make TV affordable for the average viewer, so I can't say I dislike them that much.

pianist

Is that why my TV Cable bill is $120 a month?

The only commercials I can't stand are the ones on cable-only stations. I pay to watch shows, not to have products rammed down my throat.

Besides, the way people smile in commercials is just downright creepy.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

I don't really like them..

Domobomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Domobomb
Member since 2004 • 1914 Posts

I don't mind TV commercials. Internet commercials drive me crazy. Every other youtube vid has a like a 30 sec clip before the video starts. And they don't even let the video buffer while the commercial is playing! jerks.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

I dislike most, but love Super Ball ones and Kevin Butler ones.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
I only dislike them when i'm watching a movie.
Ronstera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ronstera
Member since 2007 • 6112 Posts
If its too frequent..
daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 daqua_99

[QUOTE="daqua_99"]

Pirate700

If you only get 12 channels, you aren't getting most of anything. :P

We get the decent stuff :P. This is just the stuff that's on prime-time this week that's foreign. Keep in mind the best stuff is local.

ABC1

Sin City Law, Time Team, Greatest Cities of the World, Psychoville, Grand Designs, Voyage to the Planets, The American Future, Miss Marple (movie), Doc Martin, Midsomer Murders, The Bill, Silent Witness

ABC2

Dirty Jobs, The Daily Show (daily), The Colbert Report (daily), Misfits, Torchwood, Outnumbered, The Street, The Wire, Ashes to Ashes, E2, Design for Life, 6 going on 60, Millionaires Mission, Psychoville, The Graham Norton Show, Gavin and Stacy, Being Human

Seven

Bones, Castle, Desperate Housewives, Brothers and Sisters, Scrubs, Trauma, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, Schindler's List (movie), How I Met Your Mother, Cougar Town, Family Guy, American Dad, Flashforward, National Treasure (movie), Scrubs, The Man with the Golden Sun (movie)

Seven Two

Heartbeat, Rosemary and Thyme, Infamous Assassinations, The Prisoner, Whacked Out Sports, Ugly Betty, 24, The Sopranos, The Professionals, I Survived a Japanese Game Show, Beauty and the Geek, Knight Rider, Reaper, The Riches, Airline USA, Dr No (movie), Delish, Escape the Country, Ghost Whisperer, Doctor Finlay, Heartbeat, A Touch of Frost, Minder

Nine

Two and a Half Men (7 times this week), The Big Bang Theory, The Mentalist, CSI Miami, Top Gear, Shrek 2 (movie), Connie and Carla (movie)

Go

Total Whipeout (5 times this week), Wife Swap, Community, In Betweeners, Hells Kitchen, Nip/Tuck, South Park (4 times this week), The Middle, New Adventures of Old Christine, The Bachelor, Eastwick, Reno 911, Crash Course, Chuck, Cruel Intentions (movie), Top Gear, ER, Gossip Girl, Blackadder, 'Allo 'Allo, CSI, CSI Miami, CSI NY, Superbad (movie)

Ten

Merlin, The Good Wife, House, Simpsons (5 times this week), Glee, Letterman (5 times this week), Modern Family, NCIS, NCIS LA, Lie to Me, Law and Order: CI, Glee, Law and Order: SVU, Medium, NCIS, Num3ers, Monk, Courage Under Fire (movie).

One

24 hour Sports Channel

SBS1/2

24 hour coverage of FIFA World Cup

That's a lot of shows for a screwed up week. State of Origin is on on Wednesday night, meaning Seven, Nine and Go have changed schedules, outing Criminal Minds. Also because of the World Cup SBS isn't showing their usual weeknight documentaries, or shows like Entourage, Mythbusters and Man vs Wild.

viva_hate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 viva_hate
Member since 2009 • 2414 Posts

I don't really watch TV. When I do, I recorded the show earlier and I can skip through commercials. So no, I can't say they really bother me :P

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

Is that why my TV Cable bill is $120 a month?

The only commercials I can't stand are the ones on cable-only stations. I pay to watch shows, not to have products rammed down my throat.

Besides, the way people smile in commercials is just downright creepy.

br0kenrabbit

Without advertising, it'd probably be a heck of a lot more than $120/month.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#24 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
I agree with Pianist, that they make TV affordable and serve a purpose, but I don't watch them. At all. I DVR, or pause until I know I won't see a commercial everything I watch.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

The commercials themselves are terrible, and I abhor watching them. Their existence I can merely tolerate, as they reduce the costs of what I pay for in media services.

daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 daqua_99

I personally do not see the need to pay for television. My sister has pay-TV and almost every time we go there she cannot find anything decent to watch. Granted she does not have the movie channels, but she pays $88 a month to scroll through 65 channels, of which 14 are news channels, 7 are music channels and 4 channels are 'home shopping'. Also, 95% of shows on pay-TV have already been shown on free-to-air networks and are available on DVD.

The only good things that pay-TV has are sports and movies, and free networks are pushing to allow sports to be played on their digital channels, removing a major benefit of having Foxtel (Australia's only decent pay-tv provider).

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

I personally do not see the need to pay for television. My sister has pay-TV and almost every time we go there she cannot find anything decent to watch. Granted she does not have the movie channels, but she pays $88 a month to scroll through 65 channels, of which 14 are news channels, 7 are music channels and 4 channels are 'home shopping'. Also, 95% of shows on pay-TV have already been shown on free-to-air networks and are available on DVD.

The only good things that pay-TV has are sports and movies, and free networks are pushing to allow sports to be played on their digital channels, removing a major benefit of having Foxtel (Australia's only decent pay-tv provider).

daqua_99

I would die with over-the-air TV. The only thing I would ever watch would be Nova on PBS. I hate sitcoms, I hate reality TV, I hate crime shows...in fact, if my TV is on its on one of the following channels:

Military

History

History International

Nat Geo

Discovery

Science

None of those are free, unfortunately.

The rest of the channel line-up can go to hell.

daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 daqua_99

[QUOTE="daqua_99"]

br0kenrabbit

I would die with over-the-air TV. The only thing I would ever watch would be Nova on PBS. I hate sitcoms, I hate reality TV, I hate crime shows...in fact, if my TV is on its on one of the following channels:

Military

History

History International

Nat Geo

Discovery

Science

See knowledge-based and documentary shows are the only thing, in my opinion, that there aren't enough of on free-to-air television. Whilst ABC and SBS do show a good number of documentaries I would like one of the commercial networks to 'steal' the rights off Foxtel and get either Discovery or the History channel on as a digital channel.

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

I don't hate them but you do get some really funny ones once and awhile.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
D-V-R, Streaming or disc.

daqua_99
I look through it in advance for something good, it is light but if you want to watch sports you have to buy it.
daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 daqua_99

I look through it in advance for something good, it is light but if you want to watch sports you have to buy it.X360PS3AMD05
I hope, when the next TV rights deal comes up there are more NRL and AFL games played on free-to-air television. I would also like to see the A-League and EPL being free, but that won't happen because they play during the non-ratings period and at crappy times.

ognen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#32 ognen
Member since 2005 • 2974 Posts

Some commercials make me laugh a lot, but in general I really hate them :)

amirzaim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 amirzaim
Member since 2007 • 1720 Posts
I hate commercials when it shows more than 5 minutes and most of the commercials are beauty products. Who wants to buy that thing? Also, i'm likely sick of some korean commercials that are dubbed and involving the products like febreeze. But when the axe spray product, i like it...
ognen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#34 ognen
Member since 2005 • 2974 Posts

Anyway, I really don't understand why they think that by advertising their product on TV, somebody would consider buying it. A commercial never changed my opinion in the supermarket..

daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 daqua_99

Anyway, I really don't understand why they think that by advertising their product on TV, somebody would consider buying it. A commercial never changed my opinion in the supermarket..

ognen

It's a way to get a product known. People wouldn't know about products unless they are advertised to them. Advertisements are communication.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

theres not much for me to like about them, pretty much everything about them is annoying. normally whatever show i'm watching has sorta low volume so that when an ad comes on its really loud and obtrusive, on top of that they seem to start at the same time so when ya change channel during an ad break, there on almost every channel. the only slightly entertaining value they have is when an ad is funny, but then it's played so much that it loses its humor real fast. not to mention that they seem to mostly consist of commercials about feminine itching, yeast infections, prostate problems, hemorrhoids, diarrhea , or some new drug that has the same 43 side effects....i hate commercials.

Avatar image for moonlightcharm6
moonlightcharm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 moonlightcharm6
Member since 2009 • 1581 Posts
yup always bugging you to buy something
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
I was putting back a tremendous amount of PBR watching the soccer game on Saturday and I was stuck to my seat, unable to piss because they play for 50 minutes without commercials. I felt like a 5-year old trying not to piss myself, but my buddy missed America's lucky goal and I didn't. I would have given anything to have Slap Chop come allow me to relieve myself somewhere in the 30th minute.
S3XYT1M3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 S3XYT1M3
Member since 2009 • 834 Posts

Only when I'm watching a 1 and 1/2 hour movie and they have commercials so frequently that it takes 3 hours to watch it.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#40 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts

[QUOTE="daqua_99"]

br0kenrabbit

Military

History

History International

Nat Geo

Discovery

Science

Add the ESPN lineup and HBO & Showtime from time to time and that's the exact same list I'd make. I could do with only those channels plus the one's I mentioned. I especially love History Int.
Ceraby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ceraby
Member since 2009 • 3306 Posts

I don't mind them for the most part. There are some I actually like watching ( the funny ones anyway ) and the ones I dislike, I either change channel or keep watching them to realize how much I really hate them.

I do like watching foreign commercials though. They're interesting to me. :?

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

I totally understand why they exist but they do essentially ruin most programming. Watching a TV show or a newscast isnt that bad. Trying to watch a movie on non-premium channels is almost unbearable.

Nowadays its even worse. You watch 10 minutes worth of commercials and then the show comes back on and then they have the nerve to give you ad popups DURING the ******* program. Its infuriating.

Not to mention how they ALWAYS seem to run a tampon or "hygiene product" ad while im having dinner...every time....without fail.

No. I dont think i want to hear about the new super dulcolax stool softener product while im eating. Thanks though i guess :|

gugler990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gugler990
Member since 2010 • 2009 Posts

if they are showed more frequent and longer i hate them, but sometimes some commercials are informative and funny

xionvalkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 xionvalkyrie
Member since 2008 • 3444 Posts

Hate them, especially on Hulu where they play the SAME commercials.

Avatar image for tocklestein2005
tocklestein2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 tocklestein2005
Member since 2008 • 5532 Posts

9/10 are annoying and a total waste of my time but occasionally there is a funny one.

daqua_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 daqua_99

theres not much for me to like about them, pretty much everything about them is annoying. normally whatever show i'm watching has sorta low volume so that when an ad comes on its really loud and obtrusive, on top of that they seem to start at the same time so when ya change channel during an ad break, there on almost every channel. the only slightly entertaining value they have is when an ad is funny, but then it's played so much that it loses its humor real fast. not to mention that they seem to mostly consist of commercials about feminine itching, yeast infections, prostate problems, hemorrhoids, diarrhea , or some new drug that has the same 43 side effects....i hate commercials.

iwilson1296

Can you complain about ads in the US? In Australia we can. It's also illegal here for ads to be played at a louder noise level then the actual program itself (though they still do it sometimes). Also here (I don't know about the US) there can only be 14 minutes of ads played every hour in prime time averaged out over the 6 hours, so each break is usually only 3-4 minutes long

Mr_Leonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Mr_Leonis
Member since 2007 • 4615 Posts
Commercials I can stand...ads before internet videos should cease to exist. :x