oscar nod for Heath Ledger?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JERMINITIS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 JERMINITIS
Member since 2007 • 1517 Posts

How much of this oscar talk for Heath Ledger is brought on because of his death?

In other words, would he be getting all this hype if he we're still alive?

I think he would. How about you?

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts
He did a good job, but, I think if he was alive, Aaron Eckhart would have been given the nomination.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
We will never know if he would have been nominated if he was alive or not. I think he deserves the award. Not because of his death, but because it was one of the best performances of the year. There was Oscar talk way before his death.
gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gobo212
Member since 2003 • 6277 Posts
Overrated movie. Overrated performance.
gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gobo212
We will never know if he would have been nominated if he was alive or not. I think he deserves the award. Not because of his death, but because it was one of the best performances of the year. There was Oscar talk way before his death.sammyjenkis898
But he died before the movie came out.
ms_nintendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 ms_nintendo
Member since 2004 • 201 Posts
Alive or dead, he did a phenomenal job as the Joker, so I think he deserves whatever awards he gets.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 sammyjenkis898
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]We will never know if he would have been nominated if he was alive or not. I think he deserves the award. Not because of his death, but because it was one of the best performances of the year. There was Oscar talk way before his death.gobo212

Your point is? :?
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#8 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Overrated performance.gobo212

Watch me.

gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gobo212
[QUOTE="gobo212"][QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]We will never know if he would have been nominated if he was alive or not. I think he deserves the award. Not because of his death, but because it was one of the best performances of the year. There was Oscar talk way before his death.sammyjenkis898

How could there be Oscar talk "way before his death" when the movie was released several months after his death?
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]We will never know if he would have been nominated if he was alive or not. I think he deserves the award. Not because of his death, but because it was one of the best performances of the year. There was Oscar talk way before his death.gobo212

There are test audiences, rough cuts, people on the set, etc. People responsible for this kind of buzz see the rough cuts long before special effects are put in, and remember that they were in post-production when Ledger died. People had already seen his performance.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
He died so long ago. I would be slightly suspicious if he died 2 or 3 months ago but it has been a while now since his death.
AlphaRail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 AlphaRail
Member since 2007 • 1789 Posts

I think both were a bit over rated..but I think he still deserved a nomination.

edit: by both I mean TDK and Ledger's performance.

gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gobo212

[QUOTE="gobo212"] Overrated performance.biggest_loser

Watch me.

Ok now what?
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sammyjenkis898
[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="gobo212"] But he died before the movie came out.gobo212

How could there be Oscar talk "way before his death" when the movie was released several months after his death?

You do realize people had seen clips before his death. There was Oscar buzz for his performance coming from the set and the press.
gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gobo212
[QUOTE="gobo212"][QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]We will never know if he would have been nominated if he was alive or not. I think he deserves the award. Not because of his death, but because it was one of the best performances of the year. There was Oscar talk way before his death.MAILER_DAEMON

There are test audiences, rough cuts, people on the set, etc. People responsible for this kind of buzz see the rough cuts long before special effects are put in, and remember that they were in post-production when Ledger died. People had already seen his performance.

True but the hype went out of control after he died. I don't know why I am even arguing about this when I couldn't care less about the Oscars...
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

[QUOTE="gobo212"] Overrated performance.gobo212

Watch me.

Ok now what?

You watched it. Good. Now you can understand the amount of effort that he went to to transform himself from a role like that in Two Hands to the Joker in The Dark Knight. Can you just tell me why you think its overrated? By that do you mean that you've heard about it too much? Or is there some different approach to the acting of the performance that you would have researched had you been selected for the role of The Joker in an alternate universe!! Starring Gobo! Gobo! Gobo! As the Joker! Joker! Jokerrr!!
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="gobo212"][QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"][QUOTE="gobo212"] But he died before the movie came out.

True but the hype went out of control after he died. I don't know why I am even arguing about this when I couldn't care less about the Oscars...

It drew attention to the movie - a lot of publicity. But that means nothing to the fact that regardless, it was still an extraordinary performance.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts

[QUOTE="gobo212"] Overrated performance.biggest_loser

Watch me.

that movie is awesome, is that where he steals money on the beach or something?? and his brother is dead and he see's him or something along those lines?:P
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

[QUOTE="gobo212"] Overrated performance.sAndroid17

Watch me.

that movie is awesome, is that where he steals money on the beach or something?? and his brother is dead and he see's him or something along those lines?:P

Correct. I just wish more members from the Experts of Acting Association Inc. would have a look at that film before they open their snouts about Heath Ledger's Joker being "overrated" - their words. I'm just so sick of hearing it.
gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gobo212
[QUOTE="gobo212"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

Watch me.

biggest_loser
Ok now what?

You watched it. Good. Now you can understand the amount of effort that he went to to transform himself from a role like that in Two Hands to the Joker in The Dark Knight. Can you just tell me why you think its overrated? By that do you mean that you've heard about it too much? Or is there some different approach to the acting of the performance that you would have researched had you been selected for the role of The Joker in an alternate universe!! Starring Gobo! Gobo! Gobo! As the Joker! Joker! Jokerrr!!

Why are you so defensive about this? I never claimed I could do a better job. He didn't do a bad job but I didn't think any of the acting in Dark Knight was award worthy (and Christian Bale is downright bad in it).
jazzkrotch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jazzkrotch
Member since 2009 • 827 Posts
A deadboy doesn't make an Oscarboy. Neither deserve an Oscar for that one, but Bale gave a better performance.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 biggest_loser
[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="gobo212"] Ok now what?gobo212

Why are you so defensive about this? I never claimed I could do a better job. He didn't do a bad job but I didn't think any of the acting in Dark Knight was award worthy (and Christian Bale is downright bad in it).

lol! Okay mate. You seem to have very high standards for acting then if you thought Bale was bad. So what should he have done to improve the performance? Or would you have just prefered George Clooney who didn't even bother to change his voice?
gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gobo212
[QUOTE="gobo212"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"] You watched it. Good. Now you can understand the amount of effort that he went to to transform himself from a role like that in Two Hands to the Joker in The Dark Knight. Can you just tell me why you think its overrated? By that do you mean that you've heard about it too much? Or is there some different approach to the acting of the performance that you would have researched had you been selected for the role of The Joker in an alternate universe!! Starring Gobo! Gobo! Gobo! As the Joker! Joker! Jokerrr!!biggest_loser

lol! Okay mate. You seem to have very high standards for acting then if you thought Bale was bad. So what should he have done to improve the performance? Or would you have just prefered George Clooney who didn't even bother to change his voice?

I think 90% of Hollywood movies are crap.
Avatar image for Cloud_Insurance
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Cloud_Insurance
Member since 2008 • 3279 Posts
Its pathetic that a certain group of people will always believe that the praise for his role as the joker is due to his untimely death.
jazzkrotch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jazzkrotch
Member since 2009 • 827 Posts

[QUOTE="biggest_loser"][QUOTE="gobo212"] Why are you so defensive about this? I never claimed I could do a better job. He didn't do a bad job but I didn't think any of the acting in Dark Knight was award worthy (and Christian Bale is downright bad in it).gobo212

I think 90% of Hollywood movies are crap.

I'll totally grant you that one, but still, remember, it is the lesser of two weevils.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sammyjenkis898
Its pathetic that a certain group of people will always believe that the praise for his role as the joker is due to his untimely death.Cloud_Insurance
Agreed.
sAndroid17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sAndroid17
Member since 2005 • 8715 Posts
[QUOTE="sAndroid17"][QUOTE="biggest_loser"]

Watch me.

biggest_loser

Correct. I just wish more members from the Experts of Acting Association Inc. would have a look at that film before they open their snouts about Heath Ledger's Joker being "overrated" - their words. I'm just so sick of hearing it.

yeah exactly, and no one else did a better job acting in any film nominated, IMO, let alone in a Supporting role!
Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts

He did a good job, but, I think if he was alive, Aaron Eckhart would have been given the nomination.Andrew_Xavier

Yes someone who agrees with me, I thought Harvey Dent's character was better

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Overrated movie, and an overrated performance by Ledger. I won't speculate on whether or not his death affected his Oscar nomination, though.
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts
I think he deserves it. That was one of the craziest most sadistic characters I have ever seen. He did a phenominal job with it.
mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts
[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"][QUOTE="gobo212"] But he died before the movie came out.gobo212

Although sadly that is very true, that does not take away from how fantastic the movie was, same with Heath Ledgers performance. Was the movie overhyped? Yes, but was the movie overrated? No.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]Its pathetic that a certain group of people will always believe that the praise for his role as the joker is due to his untimely death.sammyjenkis898
Agreed.

Why, exactly, is that pathetic?

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 chessmaster1989

I think he deserves it. That was one of the craziest most sadistic characters I have ever seen. He did a phenominal job with it.Guybrush_3

Javier Bardem as Chigurh in No Country for Old Men owns Heath Ledger as The Joker.

Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cloud_Insurance

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"][QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]Its pathetic that a certain group of people will always believe that the praise for his role as the joker is due to his untimely death.chessmaster1989

Agreed.

Why, exactly, is that pathetic?

Because its wrong? And because it attaches a little footnote to his performance, that attempts to cheapen his accomplishment
rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
Haven't seen it. (TDK)
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Cloud_Insurance

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]I think he deserves it. That was one of the craziest most sadistic characters I have ever seen. He did a phenominal job with it.chessmaster1989

Javier Bardem as Chigurh in No Country for Old Men owns Heath Ledger as The Joker.

While this is an opinion, I'll argue it anyway.

Its much harder for an actor to give a faithful and widely accepted interpretation of a highly identifiable and recognizable character such as the Joker than it is to play a role that while defined in another medium, is nowhere close to being as established or rigid. So while Chigurh was given an identity in the book, Bardem was given plenty of leeway in portraying him. As long as he makes the character believable, its a success. With the Joker its a different story.

The Joker has been around for close to 70 years, several generations of people have been exposed to him in one medium or another (comics, tv, film). Every one of those people with more than a passing interest in the character has their own idea of who is he, how he is. So for Ledger to succeed in the role, its not just about making his character seem real, tangible. He had to play it in such a way that the majority of the fans (of one degree or another) deemed "correct" if you will. I think its safe to say that people of all ages thought Ledger did a true and faithful realization of the character. Its not just that he looked the part (but that is a big part of it obviously, since what we see with our eyes is one of the main ways we identify a person or character). It was his mannerisms, his speech, his stance, how he carried himself, how he played with his knives, all of that stuff.