Ohio driver sentenced to hold 'idiot' sign

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
That's humiliating. A judge would just have to put me in jail (not saying I'd do such a thing)thebest31406
Yeah, they'd have to surgically attach that sign to my hand. F*ck you, judge, and your Twitter followers, throw me in a hole. Will not be part of your silly games.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
Good. If someone is going to be literally that stupid, they deserve to be a public spectacle.The_Zoid
Publicity and entertainment are not the proper roles of government. The judge's motivation for this sentence is extremely questionable, and I think this qualifies as an abuse of power. This hurts the credibility of the judicial system. That said, I would rather hold a sign for 2 hours than go to jail.
NailedGR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 NailedGR
Member since 2010 • 997 Posts

[QUOTE="NailedGR"]

[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]He should of sentenced all Ohioans to hold an "idiot" sign.dave123321

That's funny because you wrote "should of" instead of "should have".

I could tell you why that is funny but it's funnier to have you be obvlivious.

you showed him

Yes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#54 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Creative punishment that fits the severity of the crime and doesn't fill a jail cell. We need more of this.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

Creative punishment that fits the severity of the crime and doesn't fill a jail cell. We need more of this.

jimkabrhel
We need more of our judicial system turning itself into a circus? What good does that do? What is the point of this punishment? What does it accomplish?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

jimkabrhel
If these kinds of punishments are effective at all, I'd suspect that it's largely because they are relatively rare. People passing by are going to pay attention to that woman, there's a news crew there photographing her. The only real negative aspect to the punishment is the shame of being in that situation. But if this situation were more common...if more people got these kinds of punishments and there was ALWAYS a criminal on that street corner holding an embarrassing sign, who would care? There'd be no one there photographing her, she wouldn't end up on the news, and even the people passing by wouldn't give her a second glance. Even if you support these kinds of unusual punishments, I don't see how it would possibly be appropriate as a common punishment. Making it common would pretty much take away everything that makes it unpleasant in the first place.
WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

MrGeezer

If these kinds of punishments are effective at all, I'd suspect that it's largely because they are relatively rare. People passing by are going to pay attention to that woman, there's a news crew there photographing her. The only real negative aspect to the punishment is the shame of being in that situation. But if this situation were more common...if more people got these kinds of punishments and there was ALWAYS a criminal on that street corner holding an embarrassing sign, who would care? There'd be no one there photographing her, she wouldn't end up on the news, and even the people passing by wouldn't give her a second glance. Even if you support these kinds of unusual punishments, I don't see how it would possibly be appropriate as a common punishment. Making it common would pretty much take away everything that makes it unpleasant in the first place.

We agree with this premiss. While I do like punishments that are unconventional, having it commonplace would remove it's effectiveness.

As to your previous reply, people taking the easy way out is common for everything. While we know that she chose this over jail, we do not know if the judge told her if she failed to stand out there, then she would go to jail. As a matter of fact, I would probably bet that he would have sent her to jail for a period of time for contempt of court if she had failed to stand out there. That should mean that she faced jail no matter what. She did have to pay $250 in court costs and lost her license for 30 days, so she isn't just having to stand on the corner. Now if I were the judge, I would call her back to court to find out why she paid more attention to her phone instead of her sign and possibly give her a couple more days, sans distractions, out there.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

STOP! Woman Humiliated After Passing School Bus has a video of her passing going around a vehicle that stopped for the bus and her driving up a driveway and onto the sidewalk, prior to a police car stopping her for doing so. Apparently, it was something she was doing quite regularly. The driveway was to a day care center. The word alledgely was used to describe her driving on the sidewalk, to which she pled not guilty. I hope said video, taken from the bus was shown in court. Woman to Wear 'IDIOT' Sign after Footpath Drive to Avoid Schoolbus is video of her in court.

Knowing that she did this multiple times, I would have had her stand out there longer, for a couple of days and without her phone.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

He should of sentenced all Ohioans to hold an "idiot" sign.DaBrainz

what?

edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#60 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

I love that the 2nd picture has her smoking. This is the idiot saying, "don't drive on the sidewalk--smoke!"

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#61 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts

"only an idiot would drive on the sidewalk to avoid a bus"

mhm.

Celldrax
Wait, wait, wait. Completely off topic here. Is there actually a Cadence Toss game already? Please tell me it's so.
Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#62 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11293 Posts

Haha, excellent!

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Plus, atleast she's actually using her 4x4 for what it's made for.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

[QUOTE="Celldrax"]

"only an idiot would drive on the sidewalk to avoid a bus"

mhm.

Tylendal

Wait, wait, wait. Completely off topic here. Is there actually a Cadence Toss game already? Please tell me it's so.

I'm sure it's in the works somewhere :P

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
That's how I think most crimes should be handed, public humiliation must be daunting.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

We agree with this premiss. While I do like punishments that are unconventional, having it commonplace would remove it's effectiveness.

As to your previous reply, people taking the easy way out is common for everything. While we know that she chose this over jail, we do not know if the judge told her if she failed to stand out there, then she would go to jail. As a matter of fact, I would probably bet that he would have sent her to jail for a period of time for contempt of court if she had failed to stand out there. That should mean that she faced jail no matter what. She did have to pay $250 in court costs and lost her license for 30 days, so she isn't just having to stand on the corner. Now if I were the judge, I would call her back to court to find out why she paid more attention to her phone instead of her sign and possibly give her a couple more days, sans distractions, out there.

WhiteKnight77
Of course people take the easy way out for all sorts of things, provided that they have an option. But I mean...think of this as like avoiding jail by getting put on probation. That happens all the time. Someone commits the crime and is allowed to remain free, but they have to do stuff like visit an officer once a month, go to rehab, remain within the state, etc. And yeah...people also just plain refuse to abide by those rules all the time. But there's always a backup plan: they don't abide by the rules of their sentence, they go to jail instead. That's pretty much always an option. Refuse to pay your fines? You can go to jail. Refuse to attend rehab meetings? You can go to jail. Refuse to do your mandated community service? You can go to jail. Refuse to stand on the street holding a sign? You can go to jail. And like I said, I don't have a problem with that. That IS taking the easy way out, or getting let off easy, but I don't have a problem with people getting let off easy. That's essentially what happens whenever someone commits a crime and then does community service in order to stay out of jail. Sometimes it works, and it's sufficient punishment in that particular instance. Happens all the time, and a lot of the time it works. I was just saying two things... 1) I don't have a problem with the mere concept of these kinds of punishments, since they're pretty much always voluntary. The person sentenced to these kinds of punishments pretty much always has to AGREE to do it, because there's no way in hell anyone's going to FORCE them to do it. I am largely fine with this kind of stuff simply for the fact that the people sentenced with this kind of stuff totally don't have to do it at all. They're free to not do it if they think it's too harsh, and then there's always the option of something more traditional like simply going to jail. 2) And even though I don't have a problem with this kind of stuff being done (though as I said, it sure as hell should only be done rarely if ever), it's a mistake to think of this kind of stuff as harsher than traditional punishments. Someone above said something like..."this kind of punishment deters people more than a slap on the wrist." I don't have any real problem with people occasionally getting a slap on the wrist, but the fact of the matter is that this kind of stuff IS "a slap on the wrist". Don't get me wrong...when a slap on the wrist is enough, there's not really any need to punch someone in the face. But this IS a slap on the wrist. That's all I'm saying. It's not like these exotic punishments are the way to solve crime. Considering that the lady totally didn't have to do that at all, the fact that she agreed to do it obviously meant she was choosing what she considered to be the lesser punishment.