Obama tells NASA to make Muslims feel good about themselves.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GmasterRED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 GmasterRED
Member since 2006 • 1051 Posts

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/obamas-new-mission-for-nasa-rea
ch-out-to-muslim-world-97785979.html

"In a far-reaching restatement of goals for the nation's space agency, NASA administrator Charles Bolden says President Obama has ordered him to pursue three new objectives: to "re-inspire children" to study science and math, to "expand our international relationships," and to "reach out to the Muslim world." Of those three goals, Bolden said in a recent interview with al-Jazeera, the mission to reach out to Muslims is "perhaps foremost," because it will help Islamic nations "feel good" about their scientific accomplishments."

I mean, really? Is that our job as a nation, to make other peoples and other countries feel good about their achievements? Is it not NASA's job to ensure the dominance of Americans in space? I fail to see how the American space program is even remotely connected with a religion based on the other side of the world.Should we not be focusing our efforts on making Americans feel good about our accomplishments?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50634 Posts

What a joke, not surprised though.

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#3 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
I mean, really? Is that our job as a nation, to make other peoples and other countries feel good about their achievements?GmasterRED
It's called diplomacy... I see nothing wrong with reaching out to new people (any people) to involve them in sciences. The more the merrier.
Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

What a joke, not surprised though.

Chutebox
I agree. I lol'd when I read it.
Foxi911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Foxi911
Member since 2008 • 1676 Posts
I think those are very smart ideas! :)
zidan4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 zidan4000
Member since 2006 • 3167 Posts
dude most muslim geniuses go and travel to USA because their achievements are never recognized in their countries (thanks to the great arab leaders) , so they go to america get a nice job that pays well and get an american nationality , i heard that the head of the NASA used to be egyptian , not sure if that is true though.
Dance_Gavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dance_Gavin
Member since 2010 • 93 Posts
Wow..kind of disturbing trend we're seeing. Why does Obama keep messing with NASA? ...From bad to worse...
GmasterRED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GmasterRED
[QUOTE="GmasterRED"]I mean, really? Is that our job as a nation, to make other peoples and other countries feel good about their achievements?Daavpuke
It's called diplomacy... I see nothing wrong with reaching out to new people (any people) to involve them in sciences. The more the merrier.

That's not diplomacy. Diplomacy is not doing another government's job for them.
Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Franklinstein
Member since 2004 • 7017 Posts
Space is kind of a waste of money, bridging the tension between the muslim world and America could be much more beneficial...
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Daavpuke
[QUOTE="Daavpuke"][QUOTE="GmasterRED"]I mean, really? Is that our job as a nation, to make other peoples and other countries feel good about their achievements?GmasterRED

Then what is diplomacy, if not interacting with other governments/people/etc in order to maintain an open and friendly relationship with them?
zidan4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 zidan4000
Space is kind of a waste of money, bridging the tension between the muslim world and America could be much more beneficial... Franklinstein
since you brung it up , space IS the waste of money , at this point exploring more space doesnt benefit the human kind in any way , and in such a bad economy they could use that money to do better things than searching for alien lives that doesn't exist.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
It sounds like this means that Obama wants NASA to work with Muslim nations. What exactly is wrong with that?! NASA has always been at the forefront of things like this. Its always good when nations work together for a common goal.
Dance_Gavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dance_Gavin
Space is kind of a waste of money, bridging the tension between the muslim world and America could be much more beneficial... Franklinstein
That's wishful thinking, if not a bit naive...both parts..
NightStalkerBX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NightStalkerBX
Member since 2006 • 2032 Posts

How exactly would we go about doing that? Remove three-quarters of the moon? :?

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#15 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
And yet I feel better about myself now. Bravo Obama. Bravo.
GmasterRED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GmasterRED
[QUOTE="GmasterRED"][QUOTE="Daavpuke"] It's called diplomacy... I see nothing wrong with reaching out to new people (any people) to involve them in sciences. The more the merrier. Daavpuke

Then what is diplomacy, if not interacting with other governments/people/etc in order to maintain an open and friendly relationship with them?

Sure, that is diplomacy. Sending Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden to say nice things is diplomacy. Wasting money from a department already having budget issues is not.
GmasterRED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GmasterRED

How exactly would we go about doing that? Remove three-quarters of the moon? :?

NightStalkerBX
LOL....we already use the Arabic number system, that's about the only thing there is to praise.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wolverine4262
[QUOTE="GmasterRED"] Sure, that is diplomacy. Sending Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden to say nice things is diplomacy. Wasting money from a department already having budget issues is not.

How would this be wasting money? Its called sharing ideas...
Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Franklinstein
[QUOTE="Franklinstein"]Space is kind of a waste of money, bridging the tension between the muslim world and America could be much more beneficial... Dance_Gavin

How is it naive?
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23048 Posts
[QUOTE="Franklinstein"]Space is kind of a waste of money, bridging the tension between the muslim world and America could be much more beneficial... zidan4000
since you brung it up , space IS the waste of money , at this point exploring more space doesnt benefit the human kind in any way , and in such a bad economy they could use that money to do better things than searching for alien lives that doesn't exist.

You have to make an initial investment for later payoff. The space program has some far-reaching goals that could have enormous payoffs in the future like colonization and mining.
Plzhelpmelearn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Plzhelpmelearn
Member since 2010 • 1270 Posts

So basically we have an organization filled with rocket-science geniuses, who have spent years studying physics and other applicable sciences, whose job is now to reach out to the muslim world? Are we going to have our sociologists start building rocket ships now?

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Daavpuke
[QUOTE="Daavpuke"][QUOTE="GmasterRED"] That's not diplomacy. Diplomacy is not doing another government's job for them.GmasterRED

Sure, that is diplomacy. Sending Hillary Clinton or Joe Biden to say nice things is diplomacy. Wasting money from a department already having budget issues is not.

I don't see how you can foresee this to be a waste of money, as you can't predict the success rate it will have beforehand. For all we know, they might reach an untapped source that will create the next age in space technology. Intelligence isn't restricted to a specific belief/religion or otherwise.
Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Franklinstein
[QUOTE="zidan4000"][QUOTE="Franklinstein"]Space is kind of a waste of money, bridging the tension between the muslim world and America could be much more beneficial... mattbbpl

You have to make an initial investment for later payoff. The space program has some far-reaching goals that could have enormous payoffs in the future like colonization and mining.

We don't have the money for these initial investments though, we need to make smaller investments first, such as balancing the debt, and building a surplus.
kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
I lol'd a little.
Dance_Gavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dance_Gavin
[QUOTE="Dance_Gavin"][QUOTE="Franklinstein"]Space is kind of a waste of money, bridging the tension between the muslim world and America could be much more beneficial... Franklinstein

How is it naive?

thinking that Nasa can bridge the tension between Muslims and Americans. You serious? How is it not naive?
IWKYB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 IWKYB
Member since 2010 • 1545 Posts

[QUOTE="Daavpuke"][QUOTE="GmasterRED"] That's not diplomacy. Diplomacy is not doing another government's job for them.GmasterRED

Especially for a group of people (RELIGION he is messing with religion and not GOVERNMENT affairs) and not the nation itself. What is wrong with people who can't see this? He is favoring his religion over his nation!

kidsmelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kidsmelly
Member since 2009 • 5692 Posts

Tha kind of made me laughed.

IWKYB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 IWKYB
[QUOTE="Dance_Gavin"][QUOTE="Franklinstein"][QUOTE="Dance_Gavin"] That's wishful thinking, if not a bit naive...both parts..

How is it naive?

thinking that Nasa can bridge the tension between Muslims and Americans. You serious? How is it not naive?

Some muslims are americans. It's a religion you know.
Plzhelpmelearn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Plzhelpmelearn
Member since 2010 • 1270 Posts
[QUOTE="zidan4000"][QUOTE="Franklinstein"]Space is kind of a waste of money, bridging the tension between the muslim world and America could be much more beneficial... mattbbpl

yea, tell Isaac Clarke that colonization and mining paid off....
Dance_Gavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dance_Gavin
[QUOTE="IWKYB"][QUOTE="Dance_Gavin"][QUOTE="Franklinstein"] How is it naive?

Some muslims are americans. It's a religion you know.

If he's so concerned with making the "religious" sect feel happy, then why isn't he making Nasa reach out to other religions too? Wow people are blind.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 wolverine4262

Especially for a group of people (RELIGION he is messing with religion and not GOVERNMENT affairs) and not the nation itself. What is wrong with people who can't see this? He is favoring his religion over his nation!

IWKYB

Did you just call Obama Muslim?! Wow, you lost all credibility right there.

Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Franklinstein
[QUOTE="Dance_Gavin"][QUOTE="Franklinstein"][QUOTE="Dance_Gavin"] That's wishful thinking, if not a bit naive...both parts..

How is it naive?

Why not? Many middle eastern countries are very interested in science, this seems like an area where we all have common ground... there is nothing to argue about in science, just math a physics.
Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Franklinstein

[QUOTE="GmasterRED"][QUOTE="Daavpuke"] Then what is diplomacy, if not interacting with other governments/people/etc in order to maintain an open and friendly relationship with them? IWKYB

Ok... so how is trying to build bridges not helping the "nation" ?
GmasterRED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GmasterRED

[QUOTE="GmasterRED"][QUOTE="Daavpuke"] Then what is diplomacy, if not interacting with other governments/people/etc in order to maintain an open and friendly relationship with them? Daavpuke

I don't see how you can foresee this to be a waste of money, as you can't predict the success rate it will have beforehand. For all we know, they might reach an untapped source that will create the next age in space technology. Intelligence isn't restricted to a specific belief/religion or otherwise.

Well, first of all, Obama said the Muslim world. I think I can take a pretty good guess at the success rate of a scientific endeavor with a religion that....well I can't say or I'd get moded.

Secondly, he said to make them feel good. Not to collaborate on working on the problems of the universe.

Immortalica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Immortalica
Member since 2008 • 6309 Posts
Pfft... Obama...
Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Animatronic64
Member since 2010 • 3971 Posts
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="zidan4000"] since you brung it up , space IS the waste of money , at this point exploring more space doesnt benefit the human kind in any way , and in such a bad economy they could use that money to do better things than searching for alien lives that doesn't exist.Franklinstein

We don't have the money for these initial investments though, we need to make smaller investments first, such as balancing the debt, and building a surplus.

Eventually, it's going to go down the drain again. In my opinion, more emphasis on space, less emphasis on the rest.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wolverine4262

Well, first of all, Obama said the Muslim world. I think I can take a pretty good guess at the success rate of a scientific endeavor with a religion that....well I can't say or I'd get moded.

Secondly, he said to make them feel good. Not to collaborate on working on the problems of the universe.

GmasterRED

"reach out to the muslim world"....MEANING: reach out to muslim scientists to work in collaboration. The effect of this would be to make those individuals feel good about the work they are doing...

IWKYB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 IWKYB

[QUOTE="IWKYB"] Especially for a group of people (RELIGION he is messing with religion and not GOVERNMENT affairs) and not the nation itself. What is wrong with people who can't see this? He is favoring his religion over his nation!

wolverine4262

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQqIpdBOg6I

cover up. Guy is indonisian and was brought up with Muslim teachings.

Ultimas_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ultimas_Blade
Member since 2004 • 3671 Posts

I swear if Obama said beef was tasty you all would become vegetarians. :roll:

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Daavpuke

GmasterRED

So, you're prejudiced? That's ok, I get where you're coming from. But I think it's a good thing he's trying to reach out to make people see new things, other than just saying "Well, you never did before, so you're bound to be useless". If anything it will help other people think differently of Muslims and make progressive changes to their ways of life.

And yes he did, which can be interpreted in endless ways, but I don't see a negative side to making someone feel good.

Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Animatronic64

Ultimas_Blade
If Obama said beef is tasty, I would say, "it depends".
Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Franklinstein
[QUOTE="Animatronic64"][QUOTE="Franklinstein"][QUOTE="mattbbpl"] You have to make an initial investment for later payoff. The space program has some far-reaching goals that could have enormous payoffs in the future like colonization and mining.

Eventually, it's going to go down the drain again. In my opinion, more emphasis on space, less emphasis on the rest.

Well, I think that's completely backwards. The only way it'll go down the drain again, is if we get into more pointless wars. It doesn't matter, nothing is ever going to change.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
I'd much rather have Muslims in the developing world turn to science, math, and engineering than to radical islamism, and if NASA has the means to potentially help promote these things in these regions of the world then what exactly is the harm in trying, especially when considering the fact that the ideology of our enemies that we are at war with is that of radical islamism. And on a related note, the one thing I've always liked about space exploration is that it has the potential to encourage international cooperation on a very large scale, because it's increasingly becoming more and more costly and more difficult in general to explore space without the help of other nations.
Animatronic64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Animatronic64
[QUOTE="Franklinstein"][QUOTE="Animatronic64"][QUOTE="Franklinstein"] We don't have the money for these initial investments though, we need to make smaller investments first, such as balancing the debt, and building a surplus.

Well, I think that's completely backwards. The only way it'll go down the drain again, is if we get into more pointless wars. It doesn't matter, nothing is ever going to change.

Which we will....
Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Franklinstein

Ultimas_Blade
I feel like people do that too. But I guess I can understand. When Geo W. Bush was in office, pretty much anything he said I was just like "Wtf? Seirously?"
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
I think there's some pretty sad spin on this. Telling NASA to reach out to scientists in the middle east is not the same thing as telling Nasa to 'make muslims feel good about themselves.'
Franklinstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Franklinstein
[QUOTE="Animatronic64"][QUOTE="Franklinstein"][QUOTE="Animatronic64"] Eventually, it's going to go down the drain again. In my opinion, more emphasis on space, less emphasis on the rest.

Which we will....

I know, I hate talking about politics because it always gets to this point, and most people don't realize it. Nothing is ever going to change ever, until there is some kind of revolution. And then, a lot of people will die, and the world will step backwards culturally for a few decades.
zidan4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 zidan4000
I'd much rather have Muslims in the developing world turn to science, math, and engineering than to radical islamism, and if NASA has the means to potentially help promote these things in these regions of the world then what exactly is the harm in trying, especially when considering the fact that the ideology of our enemies that we are at war with is that of radical islamism. And on a related note, the one thing I've always liked about space exploration is that it has the potential to encourage international cooperation on a very large scale, because it's increasingly becoming more and more costly and more difficult in general to explore space without the help of other nations.-Sun_Tzu-
you make it sound that in the muslim world all they do is "islamism" dude i used to live in saudi arabia and trust me ,people don't give a **** about religion or islam , dont believe all what you see on tv.
wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 wolverine4262
[QUOTE="wolverine4262"]

[QUOTE="IWKYB"] Especially for a group of people (RELIGION he is messing with religion and not GOVERNMENT affairs) and not the nation itself. What is wrong with people who can't see this? He is favoring his religion over his nation!

IWKYB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQqIpdBOg6I

It was an obvious misstatement... You do realize he worked with his church community for many years right? EITHER WAY, I couldnt care less. Obama's religion has nothing to do with politics and government. This objective was clearly meant to build ties with a part of the world where there is a mutual distrust. Science is one of the best ways to being people of different backgrounds together.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
I'd much rather have Muslims in the developing world turn to science, math, and engineering than to radical islamism, and if NASA has the means to potentially help promote these things in these regions of the world then what exactly is the harm in trying, especially when considering the fact that the ideology of our enemies that we are at war with is that of radical islamism. And on a related note, the one thing I've always liked about space exploration is that it has the potential to encourage international cooperation on a very large scale, because it's increasingly becoming more and more costly and more difficult in general to explore space without the help of other nations.-Sun_Tzu-
My sentiments exactly.