Obama looks to reform the "injustice system".

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

These changes will be a good thing for America, it obviously won't solve all social problems but at least it will give non violent people caught up in the circle of drugs a chance to get ahead in life, steer them onto the path of a bright future, instead of more jail time.

“Any system that allows us to turn a blind eye to hopelessness and despair, that’s not a justice system, it is an injustice system,” he said.

The president called for:

• lowering – if not ending – mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent drug offenses
  • restoring the voting rights of ex-felons
  • revisiting hiring practices that require applicants to list criminal activity
  • expanding job training programs so inmates are better prepared to reintegrate into society"

full article here

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

All that needs to happen to solve most of the issues with the prison system is eliminate mandatory minimum sentences for victimless crimes.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

"Obama laid out a comprehensive approach to reforming a system that is stacked against black and Hispanic communities in particular – most of which would require Congress to take action – during an impassioned speech"

"The president called for:

• lowering – if not ending – mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent drug offenses
  • restoring the voting rights of ex-felons
  • revisiting hiring practices that require applicants to list criminal activity
  • expanding job training programs so inmates are better prepared to reintegrate into society"

Regarding those^^^

• He should grow a pair and call for the legalization of marihuana and commute the sentence of everyone incarcerated for merely possession. Other drugs should be legalize/decriminalized.
  • Yes.
  • No.
  • Depends on the details.
Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ariabed

@foxhound_fox said:

All that needs to happen to solve most of the issues with the prison system is eliminate mandatory minimum sentences for victimless crimes.

That is not all that needs to happen at all.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ariabed

@Master_Live: hey dude i stole your bullet points hope you dont mind? I should have included those points in my opening post in the first place for those who haven't the time to read the article. Thanks

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

Considering how ambitious the undertaking is and the kind of customary fierce push-back the proposal will get from a republican majority congress, I doubt Obama will get any of this done before his incumbency expires. I suspect this is one last attempt to beef up his legacy before leaving the presidency.

Alfie03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Alfie03
Member since 2015 • 10 Posts

The United States Prison Industry INC is a system of slave labor that grants favors of cheap labor to connected criminals (check it out - do some research - they even ignore unfair competition laws) and a system designed to maximize recidivism.

The criminals in charge got so greedy they bought laws through sleazy politicians to increase incarceration rates for petty crimes and manipulated State taxpayers into not just spending - but borrowing Billions - to build the prisons for them - at the taxpayers expense in a way that bypassed State voters mandated bond limitations.

The United States Prison Industry is a slightly watered down version of black sites.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

I've managed to stay out of prison for 29 years. That shit is hard work

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

Everyone including the President missed a big one close 3/4 of the law schools. There's were all of this come from. You mentioned criminal listing convictions on job applications. You also have to get rid of the laws regarding not asking them if you don't. It is a catch 22 for employers.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Too bad his word's not worth much.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@plageus900 said:

ROFL

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Well for starters, don't people think that it is alittle fucking crazy we have for profit private prisons whose sole purpose is to get as many prisoners as possible? That seems to be a extremely glaring point of corruption right there.. Another part is the entire bullshit with things like civil forfeiture, which a police officer can literally shake a person down for large amounts of money with out a legitimate reason to confiscate it.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

lowering – if not ending – mandatory minimum sentences for nonviolent drug offenses

Should be decriminalized altogether, but a great step.

restoring the voting rights of ex-felons

Not a bad idea, although hopefully it would require some period of time along with some kind of proof the person has made a positive change in their life. For instance, after 2 years with no criminal activity and having held a job for some period of time.

revisiting hiring practices that require applicants to list criminal activity

I'm not sure what that will ential, but certainly criminal activity is relevant to people hiring. If I am doing hiring at a bank the fact someone was sent to jail for fraud/theft I def need to know that.

expanding job training programs so inmates are better prepared to reintegrate into society

That's a good idea, along with changes to sentencing (for non-violent crimes) I def would like to see us look at ways to reduce recidivism.

Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Planet_Pluto
Member since 2011 • 2235 Posts

There is no such thing as an ex-felon. You can be a felon that has completed serving your sentence, but you are still a felon. Always will be.

Beyond that.... what confuses me about this is it seems almost every time I hear about rough, inner-city neighborhoods, people lament "the drug problem."

"Oh, he would have been a good boy but he was living in a neighborhood where drugs are rampant...." and so on.

So, are these communities going to be helped by easing punishment for drug dealers? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Then again, so little makes sense to me these days.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@Renevent42 said:

Not a bad idea, although hopefully it would require some period of time along with some kind of proof the person has made a positive change in their life. For instance, after 2 years with no criminal activity and having held a job for some period of time.

If the person has served his sentence I don't see any legitimate reason to deny them the right to vote.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
@Master_Live said:
@Renevent42 said:

If the person has served his sentence I don't see any legitimate reason to deny them the right to vote.

Depends on the crime...if someone was sent to prison for terrorism/murder/rape/pedophilia/etc, for instance, I think that's a legitimate reason they shouldn't be allowed to vote. I view voting as more of a responsibility and that it should be exercised by a responsible and informed electorate. To be honest while I don't agree with how the founders implemented the system (only white, male land owners) I think they also understood democratic government is only as good as it's electorate. I cringe every time I see ads compelling people to vote as that's somehow patriotic for people who didn't have any intention on voting in the first place and were convinced by some stupid MTV get out the vote ad to rush out to the polls without having any idea of what they are really voting for is a good thing. It's not a good thing, in fact, I think it's a big part of why we are in the mess we are in (two party system, congress lowest approval numbers ever yet still keep getting elected, etc).

I don't think we should go back to only land owners being able to vote and anything like that, but I happen to agree with felony disenfranchised laws. If someone can't even function in society without breaking the laws, and were talking felonies here...not misdemeanors...well...I don't think they are responsible enough to vote. Not without at least having a couple years back in society without breaking any laws and showing they are once again functioning part of society.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#21 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

why is it always "non-violent drug offenders" that the "reformers" want to help, why not also include other non-violent offenders such as tax evaders?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#22 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@ariabed: that would be great in my opinion, the justice system is so flawed in the US

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

Stating the obvious; I guess that's what passes for a decent President these days.

It is PR statement. Nothing more.

Yeah.

SamusBeliskner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SamusBeliskner
Member since 2015 • 569 Posts

Oh, boy. Here we go. I am sure we'll hear from the other side how the only problem is that

@magicalclick said:

???? I got notification by SuperaGT, but, I see no post here?? Anyway, the source as long being recycled and I did not find a digital equivalent of the article. So I can only recommend the person who is interested in verify the source. It is best to visit arcadia and ask locals about theft and increasing number of home owners buying guns to protect themselves.

What the hell does this have to do with anything? There are plenty of dopes across this country who buy a gun every single day because they make irrational decisions based on fear instead of fact, buying into the lie that it will make them safer.

@plageus900 said:

Is it that hard? There are 320,000,000 people in the country with only 2,000,000 in jail. What's that, a little more than 1/2 of 1% of the population? I did lol at your post, however :)

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

@whipassmt said:

why is it always "non-violent drug offenders" that the "reformers" want to help, why not also include other non-violent offenders such as tax evaders?

While I agree Tax Evaders shouldn't get punished so harshly anymore (like prison and such,) another stupid law that proves the justice system is flawed/outdated is the criminal offense for resisting arrest. No one should get extended jail time for that, because its quite clear the civilian could have had good reason to resist arrest, definitely not all the cases and decisions of police officers arresting the civilians is legit.

SamusBeliskner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SamusBeliskner

@magicalclick: my post was quite clear. Any home owner who thinks a gun makes then safer, despite all evidence to the contrary is a dope who makes decisions based off of emotion, instead of reason.

Don't know what you mean by the rest of the world. I never mentioned it...

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

If it's justice that interests him then he should turn himself in for prosecution as a war criminal.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I think the person who hires you has a right to know if you have any criminal history against your name, hell I wouldn't want a thief or murderer working for my company.

SamusBeliskner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SamusBeliskner

@magicalclick said:

@samusbeliskner:

My bad, you said rest of the country, which has nothing to do with my original post, still.

So what you want them to do when they are frequently getting robbed???? You call them dopes because they want to protect themselves by buying guns? When they get robbed, and you want what??? Police or security only come 20 minutes later, they would have easily get hurt before that. You criticize them without giving any viable solution for them, that's just not helpful at all.

But, say whatever you like to them. I don't live in Arcadia that has been getting robbed a lot more frequently after those criminals are released in the wild.

I am only here to share their story and struggles.

On the side note, I think Korean mounting machine guns on top of their store is a very effective solution during the riot in LA. They are brave and strong willed. Not sissy pants begging for mercy.

Maybe they should get alarm systems. I don't care what they do, but the statistics demonstrate quite clearly that a gun in the home does not make you one bit safer, and instead makes you less safe. That's just simple reality.

SamusBeliskner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SamusBeliskner

@magicalclick said:

@samusbeliskner:

And what makes you assume they didn't have alarm system already???? You are not them.

It doesn't really matter and is quite irrelevant. The fact still remains that the gun does not make them safer, having the opposite effect.

SamusBeliskner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SamusBeliskner

@magicalclick said:

@samusbeliskner:

You are not making any sense. And I think our conversation should end here as there is nothing constructive will be made. Especially this is off-topic to my original post.

You should not have derailed this thread in the first place.