New Star Trek: Beyond Trailer is up but no hype? This is disturbing!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56097 Posts

I gotta say that this is way better trailer then the last one. The difference between the first trailer and this one is incredible. I'm hyped. I won't lie, I forgot it was even coming out this summer until I saw this new trailer, is there a reason why there's no big deal made out of it or is it just my imagination? No hype, no marketing.

So OT, are you looking forward to Star Trek: Beyond this summer?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'm largely indifferent.

The first movie was great, despite it's complete lack of science-fiction. The second, drew too heavily on Wrath of Khan and was not nearly as memorable as the first. This... ugh, looks nothing like a Star Trek movie. It looks like a generic action movie in Star Trek clothing.

And that's a shame. The reboot really captured some great nostalgia and balanced it out with some great new story-telling ideas and character development (i.e. the alternate timeline and such). I'm honestly not looking forward to seeing this. And the fact it's not directed by J. J. Abrams (and instead by the guy who did one of the Fast and Furious sequels) significantly undermines my confidence in it.

Now I guess I'm left with the new TV series that's in production.

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3 Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

This is what i want from Star Trek

Loading Video...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Not really a Star Trek fan TBH. Not sure why it bothers you that other people aren't into either.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Looks good. Only thing I'm slightly worried about is that I'm already sensing a lot of political allegory. Hopefully it's not much of a thing in this. I think Star Trek works better when it's not trying to associate with our current politics. Into Darkness was so wrapped up in trying to be a action-thriller 9/11 allegory that they forgot to include a memorable, poignant story. The character interaction and development was pretty boring too. Khan was incredibly half-assed. It's going to probably be ~110 minutes of breakneck action from start to finish so people will at least have something to look at. Likely will end with Spock punching more people in the face.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58956 Posts

Interesting huge shift in tone - still don't care tbh, if it's on tv I'll watch it but that's the extent of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

Star Trek shouldn't be a dumb action movie.

Except First Contact, that movie is awesome.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Im ready, i dont need to see no more. No fear.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Could be good, could be bad. I won't know though unless I see it, so I'll have to see it. I'm not hyped but I'll still see it all the same.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I have litle info on Star Trek, so...looks fun.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

First two were fun, I am sure the third will be as well.

I've always enjoyed Star Trek, but I would not consider myself a "Trekkie" or whatever they call themselves now. Don't really care enough about the "legacy" of Star Trek to be offended if the new ones don't do the old ones justice, and I am not science-savvy enough (though I wish I were) to really appreciate a discourse in quantum physics or whatnot in my movies.

SO not hyped, no, but excited. Will rent.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

Because it looks like crap. I'll probably still see it. Just not hyped.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

@effec_tor said:

This is what i want from Star Trek

Loading Video...

Pretty good (love all of the appearance by ST veterans), but WTF is up with that Klingon general?

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#15 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

It's all about Star Wars these days. It doesn't mean it won't be good though.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

I'm largely indifferent.

The first movie was great, despite it's complete lack of science-fiction. The second, drew too heavily on Wrath of Khan and was not nearly as memorable as the first. This... ugh, looks nothing like a Star Trek movie. It looks like a generic action movie in Star Trek clothing.

And that's a shame. The reboot really captured some great nostalgia and balanced it out with some great new story-telling ideas and character development (i.e. the alternate timeline and such). I'm honestly not looking forward to seeing this. And the fact it's not directed by J. J. Abrams (and instead by the guy who did one of the Fast and Furious sequels) significantly undermines my confidence in it.

Now I guess I'm left with the new TV series that's in production.

It drew too heavily on Wrath of Khan yet destroyed the impact the original movie had all together.. What happened to Spock in the original should have happened to Kirk.. It completely made his sacrifice pointless and gave absolutely no emotional draw with "it's ok we found a solution all of a sudden, making the last 20 minutes pointless!"..

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@Starshine_M2A2 said:

It's all about Star Wars these days. It doesn't mean it won't be good though.

Kind of funny when you think about it.. JJ Abrams directed both.. Both movies heavily ripped large portions of the plotlines of the two most successful movies in the series to make the newest ones..

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

Yeah, I'm excited for it but at the same time just "meh" about it.

As many have pointed out, the Star Trek reboots lack the charm of the original Star Trek with interesting plots and character development. Instead, the films are nothing more than science-fantasy hyperactive action flicks. Then again, looking back at the Star Trek TV series, the plots were always odd and would probably not fare well today on television or in the movies.

"Beyond" sounds like a movie that would explore the boundaries of space and time, similar to Interstellar but with Star Wars thrown in together but watching the trailer, it seems like Star Trek: Beyond is going to be yet another hyperactive action flick.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
@drunk_pi said:

Yeah, I'm excited for it but at the same time just "meh" about it.

As many have pointed out, the Star Trek reboots lack the charm of the original Star Trek with interesting plots and character development. Instead, the films are nothing more than science-fantasy hyperactive action flicks. Then again, looking back at the Star Trek TV series, the plots were always odd and would probably not fare well today on television or in the movies.

"Beyond" sounds like a movie that would explore the boundaries of space and time, similar to Interstellar but with Star Wars thrown in together but watching the trailer, it seems like Star Trek: Beyond is going to be yet another hyperactive action flick.

We have a Star Trek series coming out very soon so I don't think it's an awful idea to keep things Star Trek on the TV and then do something with more action in the movies. Disregarding my ideal fantasy for how Star Trek should be, I'm pretty satisfied with the love/milkage Star Trek has been getting lately. While '09 and Into Darkness weren't great films, I think they could've been much worse. And I'd be lying if I said Star Trek 2009 didn't fuel my interest for Star Trek. It might be the only movie I've seen twice in theaters (and almost saw it a 3rd time). Funny, now that I've watched all of ToS, TNG, and DS9 - I can look back at the 2009 film and see why it's a disappointing movie.

BUT...one thing I loved about Star Trek is that the quality has never been consistent. Within the show, there were super-crap episodes, some genius episodes, and some episodes that were so bad that they're good. But despite the varying quality, the show was pretty much always enjoyable to stick through. A decade ago I never would have imagined myself ignoring the new Star Wars but keeping on top of all things Star Trek. I used to think Star Trek was just some dorky, poorly produced show.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@drunk_pi said:

Then again, looking back at the Star Trek TV series, the plots were always odd and would probably not fare well today on television or in the movies.

Think so? Some of stuff that's popular on TV these days strikes me as pretty odd (Doctor Who, immediately springs to mind), but it still garners a fair audience.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#21 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

Looks o.k.

Ncsoftlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ncsoftlover
Member since 2007 • 2152 Posts

I think people are generally getting less and less hyped about these big budget hollywood productions. I mean why should they? Let's take a look at the slate in 2017, we have Fifty Shades Darker, Resident Evil Final Chapter, Another Wolverine film, Fast and Furious 8, Annabelle 2, Pirates of the Caribbean 5, Transformers 5, Cars 3, The Divergent 4, Despicable me 3, the EMOJI movie, Pitch perfect 3, the croods 2.... Who really wants to see any of this?

With that said, I'm actually pretty excited for Star Trek Beyond, there are films in 2017 I'm genuinely looking forward to as well, just not that many...

Drinkupfoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Drinkupfoo
Member since 2016 • 8 Posts

doesn't look that great, and Star Trek 2 kinda sucked

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

I'd prefer they make a new show instead. You know, one that explores social and societal issues.