Nerds on these forums calling other nerds NERDS.

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RaptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RaptimusPrime
Member since 2008 • 452 Posts

Oh the irony!!!! I just visited the thread from a kid asking how to take off the three hour a day limit on his 360 (put there by his parents) and basically every post was telling him to "get a life" or "hang with friends". I have a news flash: We are all members on a VIDEO GAME WEBSITE. That pretty much makes us all nerds. And I bet half of you play for longer than he does per day (about 6 hours). Now, I'm not saying that that is healthy, but I know that I wouldn't complain if I had 6 hours a day to game (I don't, actually not even close unfortunately). I just think it's ridiculous for nerds to call each other nerds. Let's face it, none of us are "cool" by the traditional definition. And there's nothing wrong with that. Figured I would make a thread to see if anyone else is annoyed by the constant "get a life" statements frrom other gamers.

BTW, I am married, work a lot, and am in college, so please spare me the "get a girlfriend" or "get a job" rhetoric I am sure this will attract.

also im not calling u guyz nerdz, if u dont think ur a nerd then u sir r a nerd

GUNpoint_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 GUNpoint_
Member since 2008 • 1964 Posts
lol i agree. its stupid as hell
shaza91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 shaza91
Member since 2005 • 3696 Posts

So you're calling yourself a nerd?

Oh, and please define a nerd for me. You know, break it down since you believe you have every person on this forum figured out.

jackvegas21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 jackvegas21
Member since 2007 • 3157 Posts
Nerd Power! Wait a min my Hot Pockets gettin cold
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
Thats nice, this isn't exclusive to GS though.
fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts

I'm not a nerd personally. I'm a geek. Nerds are smart.

lukie_pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lukie_pie
Member since 2008 • 413 Posts

what i dont get is why being a nerd is a bad thing

if someone has found something they enjoy (video games/anime/computer stuff) why should they be labeled negitavely?

andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts

So you're calling yourself a nerd?shaza91

I think he already knows that, notice how he says we are all nerds in his post, meaning himself and all of us on here are nerds

Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blood-Scribe
Member since 2007 • 6465 Posts

BTW, I am married, work a lot, and am in college, so please spare me the "get a girlfriend" or "get a job" rhetoric I am sure this will attract.

RaptimusPrime

The fact that you bothered to post this thread makes this little bit rather questionable...

shaza91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 shaza91
Member since 2005 • 3696 Posts

[QUOTE="shaza91"]So you're calling yourself a nerd?andyboiii

I think he already knows that, notice how he says we are all nerds in his post, meaning himself and all of us on here are nerds

But he later says that he has a wife and a job. So it's like he's saying he's an exception.

-Sluggo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -Sluggo-
Member since 2008 • 1345 Posts

Too many "nerds" in the topic title. It should have been "Nerds calling the kettle black"...or something to that effect.

Make it brown, make it brown, make it brown.

andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
[QUOTE="andyboiii"]

[QUOTE="shaza91"]So you're calling yourself a nerd?shaza91

But he later says that he has a wife and a job. So it's like he's saying he's an exception.

I don't think the TC knows what a nerd is :?

freshgman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 freshgman
Member since 2005 • 12241 Posts
this a nerd filled site of course. Im not of course
Montaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Montaya
Member since 2005 • 4269 Posts
Excuse me guys but i dont seem to recall us electing someone to speak on all our behalf?.. Please dont bring every single persons "coolness" into question by making steryotypical statements about all of us, we dont need these type of threads.
NephilimRising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 NephilimRising
Member since 2007 • 1908 Posts

I reserve the right to refuse the term nerd and any other term others may deign to cast at me. Labeling can be fun though...

spidermonkey11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 spidermonkey11
Member since 2007 • 1716 Posts
NERDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
gifteddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 gifteddie
Member since 2007 • 567 Posts
Am I a nerd? I have tons of friends, gone out with a few girls, get good grades, play football and baseball, and usually hang out on the weekends with people, though I am a videogame addict and people call me a nerd for it. I don't think I'm a nerd at all
nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts

People weren't calling that kid a nerd, they were telling him to do something other than spend 1/4 of his life in front of videogames (with more if you include total screen time at the computer and watching TV I bet). The kid was complaining because his dad limited him to only (and I use only very loosely here) 3 hrs a day. Good for his dad to try and get him out and doing other things some. It's not like 3hrs A DAY is an unreasonable amount, it's not like he was restricted to 15mins a day or something.

This was not a "Hey kettle, you're black" moment at all. Most of us here probably DON'T play 6hrs every single day. I do once in a blue moon, but trust me, I've earned that when I do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
deactivated-5e376fa88bd45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5e376fa88bd45
Member since 2004 • 4403 Posts

Meh.

The way I see it Nerdom/Geekdom is an acceptable lifestyle anyways. These days I don't think anyone should take offense ever again do being called a nerd. Hell I don't even take offense to being called a nerd anymore. Because these days, a whole lot of the stereotypes we associated with nerds and geeks have pretty much diminished to a point of obscurity. We are more socially acceptable, more welcomed by people, and increasingly dated, either amongst our own ranks or the other social cliques. This rise could be in part because more of the lay people are beginning to adopt forms of our life style that would have got your ass kicked decades earlier. More of em are watching sci-fi, reading comics, eating japanese culture, and most of all playing more and more video games.

I'll go so far as to say that Nerd behavior, if applied correctly can elevate your social status to a better place in life with a superior job that will gain prestige that you may or may not have obtained, during high school years. But eh, maybe i'm just glorifying nerdom a tad too much. But one thing for sure, its really nothing to be ashamed of at all.

MasterKingMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MasterKingMP
Member since 2008 • 1740 Posts

Nerds don't even play video games anymore, everybody does!!! XD

TheJustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 TheJustin
Member since 2006 • 2197 Posts
Hey hey! I don't think I'm a nerd!! I just enjoy your guys' company sometimes. I personally don't look at this place as a video game site since I get all my video game information from other places because, personally, I believe gamespot to be a crappy place for new information/ratings/videos and pretty much everything else video game related. Trust me if these forums weren't here I would be long gone. I don't think you guys are nerds.
nosferatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nosferatu
Member since 2002 • 4292 Posts

i don't know if you are a nerd, but you sure are a f@ggotradu123

Woah, I bet that sounds like a big tough guy word when you're hanging from the jungle gym doesn't it lil fella? Grow up and maybe mommy will throw a fruit roll-up into your lunch bag for ya.

EnigManic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#24 EnigManic
Member since 2008 • 1804 Posts

Imagine a couple of stoners who play guitar and videogames, watch anime, go to rock concerts and gothic night clubs, drop **** and play Magic The Gathering.

zero9167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 zero9167
Member since 2005 • 14554 Posts
I have, what, 13,000 posts here but i am not a nerd :| It's just called boredom and a really easy way to pass/waste time... plus a hobby (gaming does not make you a nerd)
tb254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tb254
Member since 2006 • 1091 Posts

Say it loud and proud.... oh wait wrong slogan.

Avatar image for SuperSaiyanLink
SuperSaiyanLink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 SuperSaiyanLink
Member since 2003 • 19542 Posts
I ain't no nerd.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
I made a post about how Uwe Boll was a douche who should think about finding a new profession and like 10 people started calling me a video game nerd who needs to get a life...it was rich soming from sumone with 7k+ posts.
Premier1101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Premier1101
Member since 2008 • 13515 Posts

Define your definition on Nerd, as apparently it isnt the same to everyone.

If you think everyone that has an account at Gamespot is a nerd, than you have one too are a nerd.

I define myself as a cool nerd. I do sports, hang with friends, chat with ladies, work, drive and enjoy my family as much as anyone. I dont spend every hour possible playing WOW or attached to the TV.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

[...] I have a news flash: We are all members on a VIDEO GAME WEBSITE. That pretty much makes us all nerds. [...] also im not calling u guyz nerdz, if u dont think ur a nerd then u sir r a nerd

RaptimusPrime

There's a contradiction in terms.

Ayways: the term 'nerd' was invented by fools to bully on people they consider inferior and have different interests. Why would you define yourself as such?

falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#31 falconclan
Member since 2005 • 15885 Posts
I'm pretty sure most of us can agree that if you are on this site you are a nerd or a geek, or somewhere in between. For gods sake, were on an internet forum.
BohemianAndy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BohemianAndy
Member since 2007 • 1413 Posts

Oh the irony!!!! I just visited the thread from a kid asking how to take off the three hour a day limit on his 360 (put there by his parents) and basically every post was telling him to "get a life" or "hang with friends". I have a news flash: We are all members on a VIDEO GAME WEBSITE. That pretty much makes us all nerds. And I bet half of you play for longer than he does per day (about 6 hours). Now, I'm not saying that that is healthy, but I know that I wouldn't complain if I had 6 hours a day to game (I don't, actually not even close unfortunately). I just think it's ridiculous for nerds to call each other nerds. Let's face it, none of us are "cool" by the traditional definition. And there's nothing wrong with that. Figured I would make a thread to see if anyone else is annoyed by the constant "get a life" statements frrom other gamers.

RaptimusPrime

I haven't played a videogame in 5 months :|

Also, I go out every weekend with my friends to have fun. And yes, lots of them do happen to be ...OMG >> female :|

Also, I take part in gym and university sports games.

Also, I'm studying to become a doctor (I'll be a biomedical scientist first, by the end of this year)

So yeah....your brash generalization doesn't quite work, mate, Lots of us here DO have lives :|

EnigManic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 EnigManic

I'm pretty sure most of us can agree that if you are on this site you are a nerd or a geek, or somewhere in between. For gods sake, were on an internet forum. falconclan

I disagree. Playing videogames are no less a hobby then sports and ther's nothing uncool about participating in intellectual debates online.. unless you're a fanboy.

falconclan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#34 falconclan
Member since 2005 • 15885 Posts

[QUOTE="falconclan"]I'm pretty sure most of us can agree that if you are on this site you are a nerd or a geek, or somewhere in between. For gods sake, were on an internet forum. EnigManic

I disagree. Playing videogames are no less a hobby then sports and ther's nothing uncool about participating in intellectual debates online.. unless you're a fanboy.

But we aren't playing sports, or video games right now... we are on the internet... talking to people we don't know or care to really know... IE being socially retarded. ITS AWESOME!

I bet it'd be even better if I wasnt exactly like I was here in real life. Then i'd have 2 lives... but then im getting greedy.

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
When I'm not out with friends, gaming is what I do. Besides posting on GS. Nothing wrong with that.
reelbigfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 reelbigfish
Member since 2005 • 919 Posts

Wooah, people are taking his post way to seriously.
There is no need to defend yourself here, people posting "I aint no nerd, I do ____ and ____" shouldnt really bother, no one is questioning your way of life nor do they care what you do and how you look upon yourself.

We all are geeks if anything, considering we are on a video game forum.:)
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

Is strong teh irony in this.

Meh.....generalizations are the lazy way to group people.

flowdee79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 flowdee79
Member since 2007 • 4483 Posts

Reminds me of the people on SW who tricked me into thinking Crysis was on 360...then began ridiculing me because of it :|

Chitzu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Chitzu
Member since 2007 • 419 Posts

Get a life, nerd. I'm not a nerd. Your generalization is preconceived. :o

a-c-slater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 a-c-slater
Member since 2007 • 900 Posts
Well I'm a cool nerd. I talk and hang out with the popular kids, I'm not afraid of talking to girls, but I still like to play video games and hang out with my nerdy friends. I don't care if you lable me as a nerd, I'm happy with it.
Zaeryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#41 Zaeryn
Member since 2005 • 9070 Posts

NERDS!!!!

But on a more serious note, isn't video games like a million times more mainstream now? I guess half of everybody I know is a nerd then.

Pepsidesk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pepsidesk
Member since 2006 • 751 Posts
Almost everyone I know owns and plays on a next gen console. If they dont have a next gen console, they have a last gen console, and play on it regularly (I know practically everyone in my year at school). Does this make these people "nerds"? I find it laughable that you can make a huge sociological generlisation about a frankly huge, group of people, labelling them with a stereotype, and all you base it on is the fact that they have an account on a website. Pretty unintelligent if you ask me.
darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts

RaptimusPrime
Lol nerd for complaining on forums... JK JK ;p
wrlyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 wrlyy
Member since 2006 • 7632 Posts
I don't find playing videogames or going on forums to be exclusively nerdy pastimes anymore. Most of us on OT are regular people who would like to retain our judgemental name calling privileges.
EnigManic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 EnigManic

I don't find playing videogames or going on forums to be exclusively nerdy pastimes anymore. Most of us on OT are regular people who would like to retain our judgemental name calling privileges.wrlyy

Furthermore, can the term "nerd" be applied to millions of people who use Myspace forums?

Avatar image for metallica_fan42
metallica_fan42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#46 metallica_fan42
Member since 2006 • 21143 Posts
I really don't care what a bunch of people say in system wars or wherever that was posted. There are a lot of childish posts here everyday. I ignore most of them.
flipv6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 flipv6
Member since 2006 • 167 Posts
Get over your mid-life crisis! JK, yeah, well we're dealing with A LOT of kids on this website so it's give and take with what gets posted and said on here.
L8erSquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 L8erSquare
Member since 2007 • 2599 Posts
Im a nerd and proud of it... im just glad im not a geek.
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
Are you unaware of the nerd hierarchy?