This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

Are you the kind of person where everything you buy has to be a popular name brand? From food clothes electricals ect.

Or can you settle for cheaper brands for things like food but clothes have to be top brands? Also do you think the top name brands are always the best quality?

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Never do.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

#3 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

If it's something worth paying extra for, then yes. Branded jeans, of course. Branded socks, probably not.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Quality > Brand, ideally for me. Big brands doesn't necesarily mean quality, a brand that makes one good product doesn't mean their other lineups are as good, and vice versa. Ex. I choose iphone for it's size, looks, and competitive with rival, but I think their mac books/desktop sucks more baws than Sasha Grey.

The most popular brand doesn't mean is the best, seriously too many people fall victim to that, I cannot stress that enough. I base my purchase on research, reviews, experience, opinions etc. and not on popularity. Sometimes I don't give a frack, because my wallet says otherwise or I just don't care. As for clothing, I always mean to dress up, but I end up keeping my immature cartoon/anime shirt instead more like those plaid shirt that everyone is wearing now (whoop 90s again).

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ariabed

@Bikouchu35: @SolidSnake35: I gotta have my Calvin Klein undies and socks lol

@Biko, iPhone is a prime example of a fashionable product, and it seems this is fueled on further by other companies that produce other goods putting little iphone docks on their products lol. What pisses me off about the iPhone is they bring out a new one every two weeks.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

I'll buy whatever is on sale for most brands. I won't say I have no preferences, but if the difference is $7 for a tub of Ben & Jerry's or $3 for a tub of the store-brand copycat, I'll go for the copycat.

I love a lot of expensive brands of things, but I won't spend the money, so instead I buy secondhand or find deep discounts where I can to get it for less. Kitchenaid is my vice, but I won't spend $70 on a BOWL, so I'll hope if someone's baking-loving grandma died that they're selling her estate at a garage sale.

Brands are NICE, but most of the time not worth the MSRP cost compared to their generics, especially food items.

The only thing I am brand-preferential and would never want generic for is birth control of any kind. I know the generic of the birth control pills I take is probably made in the same factory as the name-brand ones I take, but I'd feel squeamish using the generic for something so important. It's a mental thing. If I still used condoms, I'd skip the dollar store ones, no matter how much testing they say they went through.

When I'm TTC I'll be buying pregnancy tests from the dollar store in bulk, though, because the test strip in them is the exact same one as in the $14 Clearblue and First Response tests. Name brand is absolutely useless in that situation, you're paying for packaging and not quality.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

No.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I do like to buy branded stuff but not all the time.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

I do have a thing for Armani T-shirts.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

generally no, but if I did buy name brand there'd have to be a good reason, but I don't buy name brand for the prestige of the name brand

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

For the most part, fck em. But,

food: I never skimp on peanut butter; Peter Pan brand forever. Morton Salt gets my nod too...

clothes: I do like Ralph Lauren; it reminds me that Polo is a real sport. However, I'm fine rocking a blank polo.

electricals... I'm pretty faithful to Google/Android right now and I always buy Nintendo systems before whatever their competition has out. I may try finding a brand of headphone/earbud manufacturer to jump on, I've been listening to a lot more music lately.

etc: i don't know what this means

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Food wise not too picky as long as it isn't processed foods since i gym a lot. Clothes wise I am not too picky either but I would definitely go for $40 jeans over $10 ones with no brand because I know the $40 jeans will last a whole lot longer than the $10 and are generally more fashionable.

I usually guage the situation as it comes but stuff like socks and underwear I buy the cheapest thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@themajormayor said:

I do have a thing for Armani T-shirts.

My man

I'm a-okay with brands if the quality or goes above the price.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

depends on the product i'm looking to buy

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Depends. My 3-piece suits are all custom made as well as my leather jacket/trenchcoat.

Most of our hard wood furniture are custom-built.

I used to have name-brand PC monitors such as NEC, Mitsubishi. Iiyama. Then I switched to cheaper stuff like Samsungs, HP, and finally to cheap Best Buy stuff like Dynex.

Sony and Samsung seems pretty popular with my family from 1080p TVs to Blu Ray players to tablets and smart phones. My work-provided phone is Samsung. But, it's just a flip-up phone.

I happen to like Logitech PC accessories from keyboards/mice to joystick to driving wheel/pedals.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

The only thing that I probably buy name brand on is clothing, but that's mostly because I buy my clothing at Men's Warehouse and they don't really carry what you would consider off brand.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ariabed

@XilePrincess: tut tut hoping someones sweet old nanny dies so you can get cheap kitchen equipment(I shake my head at you with a dissapointed look on my face) lol

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ariabed

@jun_aka_pekto: is it really worth having a tablet if you have a PC and a smart phone? Lol do you have a laptop also?

I know I could prob google this but,,,,I'll just ask you :) are tablets as good as laptops? It's just that I haven't broken into the tablet world yet.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

Most of the time, no.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#20  Edited By Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I'm not anti-brand. Example, I like real coca cola products and real converse shoes, not the supermarket brand, or Payless rip-offs. I'm not opposed to other brands- it's all about quality.

"Anti-brand" people piss me off, though. Those are what "hipsters" are to me.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@ariabed said:

@jun_aka_pekto: is it really worth having a tablet if you have a PC and a smart phone? Lol do you have a laptop also?

I know I could prob google this but,,,,I'll just ask you :) are tablets as good as laptops? It's just that I haven't broken into the tablet world yet.

Heck, no. If you have a smartphone, don't bother with a tablet unless you're like me where I use a tablet mainly to surf the Web or watch videos. For those functions, I need a bigger screen size than what most smartphones can handle. If you're doing multipage reports, I suggest sticking with a laptop. A tablet is only good for "touching up" stuff. If I decide to do full-blown reports on a tablet, I'd go with an iPad. At least it has MS Office available for it. For what I do with a tablet, Androids are fine.

I don't own a smartphone. I used to have one. But, I passed it on to my kid. I make do with the work-provided flip-up phone.

GoogleAndroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GoogleAndroid
Member since 2013 • 162 Posts

Depends on the product. For things like food and electronics, yes. For clothes, yes. But I care more about the quality than the brand. Usually the name brands are better quality, but if the non name brand is, I will buy that instead.

Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#24 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts

Generic is fine for some things. But I've tried generic Cheerios and they just don't taste the same. So there are some brands you simply need.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

@ariabed said:

@Bikouchu35: @SolidSnake35: I gotta have my Calvin Klein undies and socks lol

@Biko, iPhone is a prime example of a fashionable product, and it seems this is fueled on further by other companies that produce other goods putting little iphone docks on their products lol. What pisses me off about the iPhone is they bring out a new one every two weeks.

Just like any other smartphones now they release on a yearly basis. The upside about them is that they stick with a identical design for 2 years which gives you a bigger selection of phone cases. The amount of aftermarket support makes it a better choice for me tech wise and like you said is "fashionable", so is a two bird one stone win-win scenario for me.

Lmao at CK undergarments.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ariabed

@Bikouchu35: I'm sure there wasn't a year in between iphone5 and the 5c. Hey don't laugh at my Calvin's lol they are good good quality, I've had boxers and sox that have lasted for years, where cheaper ones have withered away.not saying you can't get quality cheaper ones but I just stick with what I know is good.