My mother's pregnancy will destroy this family.

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RaptorPen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RaptorPen
Member since 2010 • 103 Posts

Excuse the rather harsh title but my family is currently facing an existential crisis.

I'm 25 and the older brother to two developmentally and physically impaired children. Her husband died 5 years ago but my mother quickly found another partner who she felt reminded her of him. My mother and her new lover who despite not being able to marry (he was still technically married and didn't want to divorce so he could keep health benefits) had two children together.

Despite my pleading for my mother to consider other options she decided to go ahead and carry them to term. I'm not going to lie they are a drain on this family financially and mentally.

Now my mother is pregnant for a 3rd time and due to her strong beliefs on abortion refuses to consider it insisting that something will come along. We are living in a one bedroom subsidized housing and are financially at the brink. We pretty much knew there was a good chance the first two would end up the way they did and now its happened again.

Should I attempt to convince my mother to consider other options? Its still very early on. Less than a month. Am I being unfair to her here?

Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
Wow... leave your mother alone man. You shouldn't be forcing anyone into getting an abortion... that's pretty screwed up. Also, what's your current education and employment? And what's your mother's/ her partner's?
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

If you're 25, may I ask how old your mom is?

RaptorPen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RaptorPen

Pirate700
She's 40 but her two children are 5 and 4 respectively. I have a GED and do freelance graphic design from the home.
M4Ntan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 M4Ntan
Member since 2009 • 1438 Posts

Wow... leave your mother alone man. You shouldn't be forcing anyone into getting an abortion... that's pretty screwed up. Also, what's your current education and employment? And what's your mother's/ her partner's?Setsa

would you want to be born with mental and phyiscal disabilities?

Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Setsa

[QUOTE="Setsa"]Wow... leave your mother alone man. You shouldn't be forcing anyone into getting an abortion... that's pretty screwed up. Also, what's your current education and employment? And what's your mother's/ her partner's?M4Ntan

Personally, I'd rather live than never be born. If you're taking a pro-choice stance though, then you really can't support the OP because he's trying to force someone else to do something with her body that she's not comfortable with. How would you feel if people pressured you into getting a vasectomy?
M4Ntan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 M4Ntan
Member since 2009 • 1438 Posts

[QUOTE="M4Ntan"]

[QUOTE="Setsa"]Wow... leave your mother alone man. You shouldn't be forcing anyone into getting an abortion... that's pretty screwed up. Also, what's your current education and employment? And what's your mother's/ her partner's?Setsa

Personally, I'd rather live than never be born. If you're taking a pro-choice stance though, then you really can't support the OP because he's trying to force someone else to do something with her body that she's not comfortable with. How would you feel if people pressured you into getting a vasectomy?

He cannot force her to do anything, he can just let her know his opinion and how they cannot afford another kid, even if they have mental disabilities. Also, vasectomy and abortions are different. A women can still get pregneant after an abortion.

Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Setsa

[QUOTE="Setsa"][QUOTE="M4Ntan"]

M4Ntan

He cannot force her to do anything, he can just let her know his opinion and how they cannot afford another kid, even if they have mental disabilities.

Yeah, but NO ONE has that right to push their beliefs on someone if they've made a life-choice like that. Yeah, you and the OP may think it's an ignorant choice, but you can't oblige someone to do something with their body that they don't want. It's the same as someone pushing their metaphysical/political opinion on you after you've made it clear of your views in each respect. From the OP, it sounds like the mother has already made her choice, and as a 25 year-old adult, the OP is free to leave the household if he doesn't like the conditions he'll be living in. It sounds cold, but you can't dictate someone's life like that. @ edit: it's the same general ideology though, you're making a permanent change to your life that would otherwise be considered undesirable. It's not ethical to force a life change like that on someone. Plus, if the mother really is in her 40s, she's really close to menopause. This could be one of her last chances at having a kid. In her eyes, that might be special.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

She's 40 but her two children are 5 and 4 respectively. I have a GED and do freelance graphic design from the home. RaptorPen

Look, if you guys are really in such a bad way, you need to call Child Protection Services. If you are barely making ends meet, then they will take the children away.

RaptorPen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 RaptorPen
[QUOTE="M4Ntan"]

[QUOTE="Setsa"] Personally, I'd rather live than never be born. If you're taking a pro-choice stance though, then you really can't support the OP because he's trying to force someone else to do something with her body that she's not comfortable with. How would you feel if people pressured you into getting a vasectomy?Setsa

He cannot force her to do anything, he can just let her know his opinion and how they cannot afford another kid, even if they have mental disabilities.

Yeah, but NO ONE has that right to push their beliefs on someone if they've made a life-choice like that. Yeah, you and the OP may think it's an ignorant choice, but you can't oblige someone to do something with their body that they don't want. It's the same as someone pushing their metaphysical/political opinion on you after you've made it clear of your views in each respect. From the OP, it sounds like the mother has already made her choice, and as a 25 year-old adult, the OP is free to leave the household if he doesn't like the conditions he'll be living in. It sounds cold, but you can't dictate someone's life like that.

The messed up thing is that she isn't even considering the views of the father on this matter. He lives with her and he isn't exactly capable of supporting the family but she is just completely disregarding his views on the matter.
LiftedHeadshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LiftedHeadshot
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts
Why don't you do something to help financially support the family then? It can't be easy for your mother to support 3 stay at home children
LiftedHeadshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LiftedHeadshot
Member since 2009 • 2460 Posts

Excuse the rather harsh title but my family is currently facing an existential crisis.

I'm 25 and the older brother to two developmentally and physically impaired children. Her husband died 5 years ago but my mother quickly found another partner who she felt reminded her of him. My mother and her new lover who despite not being able to marry (he was still technically married and didn't want to divorce so he could keep health benefits) had two children together.

Despite my pleading for my mother to consider other options she decided to go ahead and carry them to term. I'm not going to lie they are a drain on this family financially and mentally.

Now my mother is pregnant for a 3rd time and due to her strong beliefs on abortion refuses to consider it insisting that something will come along. We are living in a one bedroom subsidized housing and are financially at the brink. We pretty much knew there was a good chance the first two would end up the way they did and now its happened again.

Should I attempt to convince my mother to consider other options? Its still very early on. Less than a month. Am I being unfair to her here?

RaptorPen
Sounds like you staying home is also being a "drain" on the family finances
RaptorPen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RaptorPen

Free lance work at 25?? Time for you to get a full time job and leave your Mom's apt.

roulettethedog
I really like living with her though and she likes me living with her. Its a good relationship. Why should I move out just because society says I have to?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

I really like living with her though and she likes me living with her. Its a good relationship. Why should I move out just because society says I have to? RaptorPen

It's a fire-hazard? How many people are living in that tiny apartment?

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#16 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts
You could always join the military which would get you out of the house and pay for an education that would get you beyond freelance work and mooching off of your mother.
cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

[QUOTE="roulettethedog"]

Free lance work at 25?? Time for you to get a full time job and leave your Mom's apt.

RaptorPen

I really like living with her though and she likes me living with her. Its a good relationship. Why should I move out just because society says I have to?

Not because of society but because of the fact that you are contributing to the financial "drain" that you speak of.

RaptorPen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RaptorPen

[QUOTE="RaptorPen"]I really like living with her though and she likes me living with her. Its a good relationship. Why should I move out just because society says I have to? airshocker

It's a fire-hazard? How many people are living in that tiny apartment?

Its not an apartment its a house. Two bedrooms. The children get their own room so there is plenty of space.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Its not an apartment its a house. Two bedrooms. The children get their own room so there is plenty of space.RaptorPen

That's not what you said.

We are living in a one bedroom subsidized housing and are financially at the brink. We pretty much knew there was a good chance the first two would end up the way they did and now its happened again.RaptonPen

MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

Surely she can have diagnostic pregnancy tests to discover whether the child is disabled or not?

At the end of the day it's her choice though. If she wants to have the child there's nothing much you can do about it.

RaptorPen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RaptorPen

[QUOTE="RaptorPen"]Its not an apartment its a house. Two bedrooms. The children get their own room so there is plenty of space.airshocker

That's not what you said.

We are living in a one bedroom subsidized housing and are financially at the brink. We pretty much knew there was a good chance the first two would end up the way they did and now its happened again.[/URL]

RaptonPen
There are two bedrooms but floor space considered its really no different from an average one bedroom apartment.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#22 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

[QUOTE="RaptorPen"]She's 40 but her two children are 5 and 4 respectively. I have a GED and do freelance graphic design from the home. airshocker

Look, if you guys are really in such a bad way, you need to call Child Protection Services. If you are barely making ends meet, then they will take the children away.

This. Better to give new lives a chance to get somewhere.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

There are two bedrooms but floor space considered its really no different from an average one bedroom apartment. RaptorPen

And how many people are living there currently?

RaptorPen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RaptorPen

[QUOTE="RaptorPen"]There are two bedrooms but floor space considered its really no different from an average one bedroom apartment. airshocker

And how many people are living there currently?

There are currently 4 people living here.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
You're 25, you should move out get yourown place. worry about yourself.. what she does is her problems.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

There are currently 4 people living here.

RaptorPen

You mean five? You, your mom, her lover, and two handicapped children.

Either way you need to help your family. Do it anonymously through the Police department.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d25ae64ef918
deactivated-5d25ae64ef918

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5d25ae64ef918
Member since 2008 • 8101 Posts
I say work on finding a way to move out so you don't have to worry about it so much.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#28 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

[QUOTE="Setsa"]Wow... leave your mother alone man. You shouldn't be forcing anyone into getting an abortion... that's pretty screwed up. Also, what's your current education and employment? And what's your mother's/ her partner's?M4Ntan

the TC didnt even mentioned what kind of disabilities his siblings have. which leads me to ask this question: tc whata are this physical and mental disabilities you speak of?
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lightleggy
You're 25, you should move out get yourown place. worry about yourself.. what she does is her problems.Dogswithguns
yeah some people dont like to completly abandon their loved ones...just saying
Drakes_Fortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Drakes_Fortune
Member since 2009 • 5259 Posts
[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

RaptorPen
She's 40 but her two children are 5 and 4 respectively. I have a GED and do freelance graphic design from the home.

You are 25 and she is only 40? You were born when she was :O Im 20 and my mom is almost 60 :(
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lightleggy

[QUOTE="Setsa"][QUOTE="M4Ntan"]

RaptorPen

Yeah, but NO ONE has that right to push their beliefs on someone if they've made a life-choice like that. Yeah, you and the OP may think it's an ignorant choice, but you can't oblige someone to do something with their body that they don't want. It's the same as someone pushing their metaphysical/political opinion on you after you've made it clear of your views in each respect. From the OP, it sounds like the mother has already made her choice, and as a 25 year-old adult, the OP is free to leave the household if he doesn't like the conditions he'll be living in. It sounds cold, but you can't dictate someone's life like that.

The messed up thing is that she isn't even considering the views of the father on this matter. He lives with her and he isn't exactly capable of supporting the family but she is just completely disregarding his views on the matter.

well maybe because she is carrying another life inside of her?

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lightleggy
[QUOTE="RaptorPen"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Drakes_Fortune

You are 25 and she is only 40? You were born when she was :O Im 20 and my mom is almost 60 :(

yeah tc would have been born when his mom was 15 years old...and since he says that she was married, I assume she got pregnant during the marriage. and 20 years ago, that was the 90's...so Im not betting it was one of those 1910 cases where a 15 years old girl married a 40 years old man. sorry tc, but im not buying it
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts
It's your mothers life....not yours.:|
Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

If you don't like it move out. Its not your house.

Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts

Judging strictly from your post, it sounds like a pretty bad move on your mothers part.

I also get the vibe that you help with the little ones? I know it's going to be a tough choice, but you shouldn't make your life miserable to appease/help her. You might want to consider moving out and letting the two of them take care of their children if it's going to burden you.

You only get one life, and you shouldn't have to spend it trying to help someone fix their mistakes.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
I got to say that you sound like you are speaking about your wife not your mother. Especially since these 2 kids get their own room? So you sleep in the same room as your 40 year old mother and her lover? I..We..need more information!
MrMe1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MrMe1000
Member since 2007 • 2215 Posts

You'd best get a job and move out so it doesn't bring you down as well.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lightleggy
I got to say that you sound like you are speaking about your wife not your mother. Especially since these 2 kids get their own room? So you sleep in the same room as your 40 year old mother and her lover? I..We..need more information!CreasianDevaili
that or maybe this thing is just bs because TC's story doesnt really adds up.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lightleggy

Judging strictly from your post, it sounds like a pretty bad move on your mothers part.

I also get the vibe that you help with the little ones? I know it's going to be a tough choice, but you shouldn't make your life miserable to appease/help her. You might want to consider moving out and letting the two of them take care of their children if it's going to burden you.

You only get one life, and you shouldn't have to spend it trying to help someone fix their mistakes.

Baconbits2004
ok I wonder why the hell hasnt anyone said "move out of the house and help your family financially, at least with a bit of money"
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Move out. It dosn't sound like the relationship will go well and she's far from in a perfect position to take care of the kid, however you are under her roof and it is her body and life.
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts

ok I wonder why the hell hasnt anyone said "move out of the house and help your family financially, at least with a bit of money"lightleggy

If he has some to spare, sure. That's a nice idea.

I don't think he'll have enough extra to make much of a difference though, especially not at first.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lightleggy

[QUOTE="lightleggy"] ok I wonder why the hell hasnt anyone said "move out of the house and help your family financially, at least with a bit of money"Baconbits2004

If he has some to spare, sure. That's a nice idea.

I don't think he'll have enough extra to make much of a difference though, especially not at first.

he wouldnt have to contribute much, he is leaving the house so its less "money drained"
Avatar image for PWSteal_Ldpinch
PWSteal_Ldpinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PWSteal_Ldpinch
Member since 2011 • 1172 Posts
It's your mothers life....not yours.:|LJS9502_basic
Don't forget his siblings who will be brought up in a dysfunctional household.
PWSteal_Ldpinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PWSteal_Ldpinch

The solution to this problem is in your hands, TC. I think you should get a job and support your family financially.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

It's time for you to flap your wings and fly far, far away. With three kids your mom should qualify for government assistance anyway. I'm not going to say whether or not she should get an abortion because that's simply not my business but at 25 you need to do something besides working from the house. Someone earlier mentioned the military but with just a GED nobodyis going to take you except the Army and that's only if you score high on the ASVAB and have a clean criminal background. You may want to just look into financial aid and taking communty college classes.

PWSteal_Ldpinch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PWSteal_Ldpinch
[QUOTE="PWSteal_Ldpinch"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]It's your mothers life....not yours.:|thegerg

Whether or not he is living in that crappy household doesn't change whether or not his siblings will be there.

I just saying that this situation will have an impact on more lives than just his and his mother's. His siblings have no say in the matter and he bears some responsibility for them. It is unethical for him to just remove himself from the situation.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]It's your mothers life....not yours.:|PWSteal_Ldpinch

Still not his business to tell his mother how to live her life. He's 25...time for him to move out anyway.