Movies that never got made that you wish did.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

So what movies did you hear about potentially getting made that never did? Personally I wish there had been a Shanghai Dawn with Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson. I loved both Shanghai Noon and Shanghai Knights with the first admittedly being better than the second, but still, both were quality films in my opinion. There was discussion of it happening off and on for a while, but it never surfaced.

Anyways, what movies, sequels or otherwise, had you heard about that got you excited, but ultimately never came to be?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts
  • Peter Jackson's Halo
  • Joss Whedon's Batman
  • Joss Whedon's Wonder Woman
  • Film adaptation of Neil Gaiman's Death
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Rendezvous with Rama

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

So what movies did you hear about potentially getting made that never did? Personally I wish there had been a Shanghai Dawn with Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson. I loved both Shanghai Noon and Shanghai Knights with the first admittedly being better than the second, but still, both were quality films in my opinion. There was discussion of it happening off and on for a while, but it never surfaced.

Anyways, what movies, sequels or otherwise, had you heard about that got you excited, but ultimately never came to be?

A few obvious ones spring to mind. Buckaroo Banzai versus the World Crime League. The Adventures of Remo Williams II.

Another would be The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass, which were the names of the other two books in the "His Dark Materials" series aka The Golden Compass series. The Golden Compass is actually the name of the first book, just like how the Game of Thrones series is actually the "Song of Fire and Ice" series but everyone just refers to it as GoT (which is actually the name of the first book). They made a movie based (mostly) on the first book but it was less than awesome and did poorly in the box office.

Another I really would have liked to see would be Luc Besson's originally planned sequel to Leon aka The Professional that would have focused on a now older Mathilda working as a hitman using the skills that Leon taught her.

-Byshop

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Bio Dome 2

Half Baked 2

Dredd 2

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

A live action Voltron... and not directed by Michael Bay. I think Pacific Rim stole any chance of this happening soon.

Kail11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kail11
Member since 2017 • 12 Posts

Matrix reboot :(

Jackamomo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Jackamomo
Member since 2017 • 2157 Posts

@Byshop: Another I really would have liked to see would be Luc Besson's originally planned sequel to Leon aka The Professional that would have focused on a now older Mathilda working as a hitman using the skills that Leon taught her.

I'm not sure how this would work as a film as at the core of Leon was a buddy story about two lonely folks, living in highly tumultuous circumstances finding a kind of peace and light at the end of the tunnel. Plus a load of mazing action sequences and Gary Oldman.

You would need to find a central theme as strong with an older Mathilda which still resonates above just another action film. The question is, why is older Mathilda interesting?

Take Mad Max. The first film. Very original and strong concept. A road warrior ex highway cop now surviving alone in an apocalyptic dystopia. The second film. There is the beginnings of a new civilisation but the bandits want to pillage it for short term gains. Can Max save the beginnings of a new civilisation. Mad Max 3: Tina Turner. Peter Pan theme but it had a new but less orderly new civilisation of sorts in Bartertown which is imperfect but Tina Turner is a pragmatist and believes in Bartertown. Mad Max 4: errrm. Well there Max. He doesn't drive a car much, spends about 40 minutes of the film tied to the front of a car like jesus. There is a bad man and he has an evil slave town in a mountain. I honestly can't remember the rest. It was horrendously shit. That's what happens when you make a film just because you think it will make money. **** the story. They even ditched the driving. Better off with the game there as it's 90% driving around.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

When I hear a movie is 'being made' I immediately tune out.

I try to stay in the now

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Lord_Daemon
Member since 2005 • 24535 Posts

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

Was going to say Dredd 2, but a tv series may end up being more beneficial.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@jackamomo said:

@Byshop: Another I really would have liked to see would be Luc Besson's originally planned sequel to Leon aka The Professional that would have focused on a now older Mathilda working as a hitman using the skills that Leon taught her.

I'm not sure how this would work as a film as at the core of Leon was a buddy story about two lonely folks, living in highly tumultuous circumstances finding a kind of peace and light at the end of the tunnel. Plus a load of mazing action sequences and Gary Oldman.

You would need to find a central theme as strong with an older Mathilda which still resonates above just another action film. The question is, why is older Mathilda interesting?

Take Mad Max. The first film. Very original and strong concept. A road warrior ex highway cop now surviving alone in an apocalyptic dystopia. The second film. There is the beginnings of a new civilisation but the bandits want to pillage it for short term gains. Can Max save the beginnings of a new civilisation. Mad Max 3: Tina Turner. Peter Pan theme but it had a new but less orderly new civilisation of sorts in Bartertown which is imperfect but Tina Turner is a pragmatist and believes in Bartertown. Mad Max 4: errrm. Well there Max. He doesn't drive a car much, spends about 40 minutes of the film tied to the front of a car like jesus. There is a bad man and he has an evil slave town in a mountain. I honestly can't remember the rest. It was horrendously shit. That's what happens when you make a film just because you think it will make money. **** the story. They even ditched the driving. Better off with the game there as it's 90% driving around.

I'm not sure how it would work either, but as I mentioned this was what Besson had originally planned to do. But then Portman got a bit too famous/expensive so it didn't end up happening. Yeah, it would be a very fundamentally different film without Reno and Oldman but I'd still have been curious to check back in on Mathilda to see how she ended up, especially after the first film left so many elements of her eventual fate uncertain.

As for Mad Max, you're in the minority not liking it although I get what you're saying about how different it was from the previous films.

-Byshop

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

The sequel to Treasure Planet (And its planned television series). At the time, Disney had nailed traditional animation to its core. It really was well done. But they completely blew it when the first film got released next to the behemoth known as Harry Potter (Which no surprise, destroyed everything in its path that year). The franchise could've been so much more... but wasn't.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

English version......The Girl who Played with Fire with Rooney Mara.

Both versions of The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo were great.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#15 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@judaspete said:
  • Peter Jackson's Halo

First thing that came to mind.

I'd also love to see a Hulk vs Superman movie, with the obvious winner being Hulk this time.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#16 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

Smack her sweaty ass.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 judaspete

@themajormayor said:

Rendezvous with Rama

A few year's ago I would have said no chance in Hell. But then Childhoods End actually got made, so maybe there is hope.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@judaspete:

Childhoods End got made? How did I miss that?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 judaspete

@AFBrat77: Sy Fy channel made a mini-series of it about a year ago. It turned out pretty well, but they did not give it the biggest marketing push.

BantiSarrios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BantiSarrios
Member since 2017 • 5 Posts

George Romero was gonna make a Resident Evil movie, whatever he wanted to do was surely miles better than the movies we got

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

The Lensmen Series by E.E.(Doc)Smith

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

Well not a movie but a TV series.

A TV series based on Urban Cowboy set in modern day.

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bush_Dog
Member since 2017 • 294 Posts

I want a prequel to 'Watchmen' or a "League of Extra Ordinary Gentleman 2". Also looking forward to Universal pictures' 'Dark Universe'.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24940 Posts

I think King of the Hill would've been nice to see for a movie.

lorddaggeroff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#26 lorddaggeroff
Member since 2008 • 2433 Posts

Ah Denis robman for having the balls to dip.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

A good Dune movie. I love Star Wars, more than most people I know, but it would be nice to see it dethroned.

The Dune novels are my favorite books ever, though.

I mean "space opera" is a term used too often imo--not every large-scale sci-fi movie needs to be called a "space opera" simply because it's grand--but Dune could easily be turned into a six-movie kind of deal to rival Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc.

And all the Dune stuff outside of the books has sucked majorly; I mean the sci-fi miniseries was all right, but you need to treat it as an actual opera to take it remotely serious (small set design, overacting, etc).

@Lord_Daemon said:

Dear god, not that version of Dune. It'd basically be "Barbarella" except worse because you would have to take it serious, since it's Dune.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a5b7b9d9f03e
deactivated-5a5b7b9d9f03e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5a5b7b9d9f03e
Member since 2018 • 6 Posts

The Foundation, by Isaac Assimov. I hear they've started making it.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

I'm still distraught that Guillermo Del Toro abandoned his At the Mountains of Madness project due to bickering about the R rating.

It's a Lovecraft story that doesn't feature any "on screen" violence, for crying out loud. It would have been perfectly fine - perhaps even preferable - to not show what he believed would push it over that rating threshold.

jdc6305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 jdc6305
Member since 2005 • 5058 Posts

Sequel to 2003 dawn of the dead

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

@bush_dog said:

Also looking forward to Universal pictures' 'Dark Universe'.

After seeing what their final product was with The Mummy, maybe it's for the best that the rest of this planned cinematic universe is now dead.

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Bush_Dog
Member since 2017 • 294 Posts
@hallenbeck77 said:
@bush_dog said:

Also looking forward to Universal pictures' 'Dark Universe'.

After seeing what their final product was with The Mummy, maybe it's for the best that the rest of this planned cinematic universe is now dead.

But I really love fantasy teamups like in 'The League of Extra Ordinary Gentlemen'.

Johndmgs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Johndmgs
Member since 2018 • 323 Posts

I remember there being rumours of a Heavy Rain movie a while back. Game-based movies usually suck but considering Heavy Rain was pretty much an interactive movie, I thought it would've worked well.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

I'm still distraught that Guillermo Del Toro abandoned his At the Mountains of Madness project due to bickering about the R rating.

It's a Lovecraft story that doesn't feature any "on screen" violence, for crying out loud. It would have been perfectly fine - perhaps even preferable - to not show what he believed would push it over that rating threshold.

Can't say that I've read it, but I've heard that the script got leaked and it seems like it would have been a pile of crap anyway.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

A Star Trek movie that featured the casts from ST:TNG, DS9, and Voyager. Make it an epic in 3 parts.

Also have space travel breakthroughs that link the Alpha and Delta quadrants, similar to Borg transwarp conduits.

lorddaggeroff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#36 lorddaggeroff
Member since 2008 • 2433 Posts

Aliens 4 blomkamps

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Stanley Kubrick wanted to make a movie about Napoleon. That would've been awesome. Also, for years, Martin Scorsese was planning to make a biopic of Frank Sinatra, but unfortunately the Sinatra estate objected to the panned portrayal and the project was canceled. What a bummer.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Shanghai Dawn: Yes. While each Rush Hour sequel became worse, Shanghai Knights was nearly as good as Shanghai Noon. It would have been interesting to see a third adventure with the Jackie Chan / Owen Wilson duo.

28 Months Later: Many thought 28 Weeks Later was not as good as 28 Days Later, but I thought it was an intense and action-packed sequel (like how Aliens was a more action-packed sequel to horror film Alien). The cliffhanger ending left me wanting more.

Mortal Kombat Devastation: MK Annihilation sucked, but the next film would have ignored the events of that film and would have followed on the events of the much better original film.

Spider-Man 4: Spider-Man 3 did not live up to its hype, but it was not all that terrible and I didn't feel that the franchise was beyond redemption that warranted a reboot. I also didn't feel that SM3 provided a satisfying closure to the series and that Tobey's Peter Parker still had room to develop as a character.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@lorddaggeroff said:

Aliens 4 blomkamps

Honestly, I always thought that that idea just seemed like expensive fan-fiction. Like, if that's what's going on, why bother?

but then having seen Prometheus and Alien Covenant, I started thinking, "shit, might as well do it." I mean, I'm sure that the proposed Neil Blomkamp Alien Sequel Retcon would probably be a pile of crap, but it's not as if Ridley Scott's recent Alien-related movies were worth a damn either. As far as I can see, Neil Blomkamp's Aliens movie would just be a case of swapping out one pile of shit for a different pile of shit. So hey...why the hell not?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#40  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

The Alien, a 1960s film written and directed by Satyajit Ray that was going to star Peter Sellers and Marlin Brando. The film was cancelled, but its script later inspired Stephen Spielberg's ET in the 1980s. Would've been interesting to see Satyajit Ray's original vision from the 1960s (although that would mean erasing ET from history).