Mormonism what is your take

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

leathalgamer84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 leathalgamer84
Member since 2009 • 51 Posts

Ever since the election rnded alot of things have surfaced about moronism and as i looked things up about the religion(im athiest) it seemed to me that other reiligions are  big hipocrits when it comes to the LDS religion what is some of your guys take

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

It's an even more batsh!t insane version of Christianity

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
It's an even more batsh!t insane version of Christianitywis3boi
This. Also, apparently, black people can't get into Mormon heaven.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

It's kinda like someone took Christianity and Scientology (even though Mormonism predate Scientology), mixed in a good helping of bugf*ck crazy and mixed it in a blender. It's even got a huckster fraud for a founder just like Scientology.

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]It's an even more batsh!t insane version of ChristianityZeviander

They can now. For a long time they couldn't, but God changed his mind about that in the late 1970s.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

To be honest I don't really know anything about it.

I know one Mormon. He's a pretty nice guy

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

It's kinda like someone took Christianity and Scientology (even though Mormonism predate Scientology), mixed in a good helping of bugf*ck crazy and mixed it in a blender. It's even got a huckster fraud for a founder just like Scientology.

worlock77

Jesus=Muhammed=John Smith.  All just a bunch of people who saw spirituality in their religion losing out to dogma and decided the only way to change things was to posit themselves as divinely-inspired prophets.  The pattern has repeated itself more times than you can fathom.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#7 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
A religion based on a book written by a convicted fraud.
Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Communist_Soul
Member since 2009 • 3080 Posts

I once had someone tell me it was the church of Satan.

IdioticIcarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 IdioticIcarus
Member since 2012 • 2167 Posts
I don't see how it is any crazier than any other religion.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

theone86

Jesus=Muhammed=John Smith.  All just a bunch of people who saw spirituality in their religion losing out to dogma and decided the only way to change things was to posit themselves as divinely-inspired prophets.  The pattern has repeated itself more times than you can fathom.

I think one of Joseph Smith's problems was that things weren't dogmatic enough for him. From what I've read one of his ambitions was to conquer the western half of America and form his own theocracy (which would in time take over the US, then gradually spread out across the globe).

The__Kraken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The__Kraken
Member since 2012 • 858 Posts

Comparable to "normal" Christianity and Islam, and virtually any religion practiced today...

...Which is to say, stupid.

Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

I dont like religious people in general. Let alone mormons.

I guess my bible class teacher traumatised me from religion in general when I was a teenager.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
Not for me but I have no problem with those who do follow it.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
no difference from other religions
Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts
lol
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#16 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts
The only mormon i've ever been acquainted with was a big hypocrit...he would brag about his beliefs all the time, saying how mormonism was "the true religion", how it was the best and how followers of every other religion, even Christianity, were damned because they were not mormons. And then the guy never practiced any of the "tennets" of the religion, and when having debates (like for example, how the bible says that religions like mormonism are fakeand their creators are damned) he would say "I dont believe in that crap [the bible] anyway!" despite he would say he did when people told him "mormons aint Christians because they dont follow the bible." Then after we finished high school he got a job, and a guy turned him into a "rasta" in literally a month.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

I get that it is hard for someone to believe in traditional Christianity because of its miracles.  However, I have issues with Mormonism not simply because it contradicts traditional Christianity and the Bible but because even its "naturalistic" claims are a bit out there.  As a simple example, the cities that are mentioned in the Bible still exist today and under the very same names.  The book of Mormon, however, has cities that seem to have all but disappeared. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

It sound like one of the stranger religions out there, if you go into the details, but if it makes people happy, who am I to care? If they ever come to my door, I dismiss them politely, and they never get upset.

LLYNCES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LLYNCES
Member since 2012 • 378 Posts

There's a girl on youtube who talks about her beliefs and about being a mormon She doesn't seem crazy or anything, which is why I dont understand how these people can actually believe in this stuff. She just comes off as delusional to me, like to actually believe there is an actual living prophet today is just crazy, yet it's all hidden behind a pretty face and the rationalization that "It's just my beliefs and in my opinion it's made my life better" Which I can at the very least respect I guess, but it still seems crazy to me. 

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Every mormon I know is incredibly nice, it's almost a little creepy. :P
dagreenfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dagreenfish
Member since 2010 • 1818 Posts
I don't see as any different than any other branch if Christianity or other religion.
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

theone86

Joseph Smith, yes. In Jesus' case, I think it's the exact opposite. If he existed, and that's one big IF, and if we follow what's written, I believe Jesus actually wanted jews to stop active like primitive religious fanatics when compared to the far more secular and civilized Roman Empire. Mainly because that would have to be the first step in order to have some kind of legitimate cause to liberate themselves from that empire. Romans were creating a legal and bureaucratic system from which we are still learning things today, after 2000 years, while jews were stoning people and beasts to death for reasons that defied all kind of logic, even back then. (All of this sounds a little bit too familiar, doesn't it?)

Muhammed converted different politheistic and pagan tribes so... I don't know how that works with what you said. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
South Park had a pretty good synopsis on LDS. I have an Uncle who is Mormon and moved to Utah. In the last 10 years or so he has baptized most of my dead relatives. Apparently you can baptize someone after they have died so that they're souls are able to get their own planets.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#24 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

One of my family members was (a?) leader of the mormons :P

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Really fvcking weird.

The Mormons I've run into have always been rather amiable, though.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I don't see how it is any crazier than any other religion.IdioticIcarus

Well, these new religions like Mormonism and Scientology are new enough for us to have the history of how they were founded and by whom.  Mormonism was founded by a known con artist and scientology was founded by a science fiction author who was known to repeatedly admit he wanted to start a cult to get rich.  And the fact that this is known and people still follow them is what makes them weird

Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts

The beliefs are mind numbingly stupid and -- having lived in Utah-- the followers are f*cking creepy nice. It's like Children of the Corn sh*t.

Avatar image for CongressManStan
CongressManStan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CongressManStan
Member since 2010 • 918 Posts
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]It's an even more batsh!t insane version of ChristianityZeviander

No, God changed his mind in 1978 about black people.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I think the episode of South Park pretty much sums it up. And it makes me lol that the 'religion' outlaws anything that makes them outwardly look bad. Drinking, drugs, smoking, dating before age __, premarital sex, unhappy families, rudeness. Basically Mormons are just supposed to be perfect from the outside. The only thing that rivals the stupidity of Mormonism is Jehovahs Witnesses, where if your husband porks another lady you can divorce him, but if he beats you senseless every day that ends in a Y, God says u r forevs.
Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#30 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]It's an even more batsh!t insane version of ChristianityCongressManStan

No, God changed his mind in 1978 about black people.

Because I am a Mormon And A Mormon Just Believes
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

what was funny to me was that during the election all the fundamentalists stopped calling it a cult and pretended it was just another religion.

then after the election everyone ganged back up on mormonism again.

it's pretty funny how people just abandon whatever shyt they believe when it is convenient or they have the chance to get something they want at the expense of their integrity.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
Just as ridiculous as main stream Christianity. Just happens to be less of them so they get picked on, as they should.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lightleggy

[QUOTE="IdioticIcarus"]I don't see how it is any crazier than any other religion.wis3boi

Well, these new religions like Mormonism and Scientology are new enough for us to have the history of how they were founded and by whom.  Mormonism was founded by a known con artist and scientology was founded by a science fiction author who was known to repeatedly admit he wanted to start a cult to get rich.  And the fact that this is known and people still follow them is what makes them weird

This. Say whatever you want about other religions which date from over 2000 years ago, the thing is, there's always the "we dont actually know" factor. But with these things like Scientology and mormonism, we know enough of them, we know why the mormons "approved" poligamy, we know how John Smith died and why did they killed him, and as for Hubbard...the guy literally said "I want to start a religion...that's where money's at!"
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lightleggy
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]I think the episode of South Park pretty much sums it up. And it makes me lol that the 'religion' outlaws anything that makes them outwardly look bad. Drinking, drugs, smoking, dating before age __, premarital sex, unhappy families, rudeness. Basically Mormons are just supposed to be perfect from the outside. The only thing that rivals the stupidity of Mormonism is Jehovahs Witnesses, where if your husband porks another lady you can divorce him, but if he beats you senseless every day that ends in a Y, God says u r forevs.

You sure on that JW part? Because a good friend of mine is a JW, his whole family is, and they are pretty...orthodox, and just a few months back, his dad was called to court to testify against his brother in law because he was beating her woman and she had asked for divorce and jail. The guy also told me that a lot of things that "we" hear about JW are bs, most of it apparently spread out by people who dont know anything and just wanted them to make them look back...apparently you have to be part of it to know the "rules".
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

You sure on that JW part? Because a good friend of mine is a JW, his whole family is, and they are pretty...orthodox, and just a few months back, his dad was called to court to testify against his brother in law because he was beating her woman and she had asked for divorce and jail. The guy also told me that a lot of things that "we" hear about JW are bs, most of it apparently spread out by people who dont know anything and just wanted them to make them look back...apparently you have to be part of it to know the "rules".lightleggy

I heard it straight from a JW who I work with, we spent quite a few hours discussing her beliefs. She has been divorced once because her husband cheated on her, but told me when I asked that divorce on grounds of abuse is not a 'scripture' reasoning for divorce. I have asked her hundreds of questions about everything from blood transfusions to gays to divorce to 'the truth' and reincarnation. She also brought me info pamphlets from her church and books they give out to members to read.

I have found that there are MANY other people on the internet who can confirm they stayed in an abusive marriage because they were told divorce wasn't an option, or the victim was told that it was their fault or they're doing something wrong. I googled "Jehovahs witness domestic abuse" and found a lot of people saying just that.

Also it's not unheard of for somebody to get away from the religion and get a divorce, eventually the abuse becomes too much and they run. Just because people are dumb enough to get sucked into religion doesn't mean they won't ever see 'the light' so to speak and realize their religion is binding them to somebody who is abusing them and put an end to it.

It's also required by law if you're subpoenad to testify in a trial. Testifying that domestic abuse had gone on is not the same as you yourself getting a divorce and is not, as far as I know, banned by the religion. It'd look pretty cultish if they made their members lie about domestic abuse.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

I feel that even by religion standards its a nutty religion.

On top of that, the origin story is such an obvious fraud, that I can't see a logical thinker ever following it.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

[QUOTE="IdioticIcarus"]I don't see how it is any crazier than any other religion.wis3boi

spot on
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

what was funny to me was that during the election all the fundamentalists stopped calling it a cult and pretended it was just another religion.

then after the election everyone ganged back up on mormonism again.

it's pretty funny how people just abandon whatever shyt they believe when it is convenient or they have the chance to get something they want at the expense of their integrity.

Riverwolf007
For Conservatives, It's more important to be the right color, than the right religion. Most of the Blacks lynched in the first half of the 20th Century were Christian too. But that didn't stop anyone.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 worlock77

[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]I think the episode of South Park pretty much sums it up. And it makes me lol that the 'religion' outlaws anything that makes them outwardly look bad. Drinking, drugs, smoking, dating before age __, premarital sex, unhappy families, rudeness. Basically Mormons are just supposed to be perfect from the outside. The only thing that rivals the stupidity of Mormonism is Jehovahs Witnesses, where if your husband porks another lady you can divorce him, but if he beats you senseless every day that ends in a Y, God says u r forevs.lightleggy
You sure on that JW part? Because a good friend of mine is a JW, his whole family is, and they are pretty...orthodox, and just a few months back, his dad was called to court to testify against his brother in law because he was beating her woman and she had asked for divorce and jail. The guy also told me that a lot of things that "we" hear about JW are bs, most of it apparently spread out by people who dont know anything and just wanted them to make them look back...apparently you have to be part of it to know the "rules".

I dated a girl for awhile who was brought up as a JW, and one of my best friends since jr high was brought up one as well. From what they've both told me most of what we hear about JW are pretty spot on.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 worlock77

BTW: why do people keep saying John Smith? The man's name was Joseph, not John, but Joseph.

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts
Well it's just as crazy as all the other religions.
IdioticIcarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 IdioticIcarus
Member since 2012 • 2167 Posts

Well in LDSs case, they don't believe he was a con artist. (There is a huge debate over what happened in 1826.) It's not like they admit he was a con artist and follow him anyway.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

BTW: why do people keep saying John Smith? The man's name was Joseph, not John, but Joseph.

worlock77
Pocahontas is why.
LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

worlock77

Theone86 played mind tricks on me. :(

leathalgamer84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 leathalgamer84

yeah this is why i say this judging of mormons are reily stupid in my opinion yes the way i see it organized religion is the dumbest thing but i as a black athiest have looked this so called racism up in the church and this is what ive come across From the beginning, black people have been members of Mormon congregations, When the Mormons migrated to Missuri they encountered the pro-slavery sentiments ofrom their neighbors such as baptised the most dominated minority church in christianity. Joseph smith jr  upheld the laws regarding slaves and slaveholders(becuase fear of persicution, but remained abolitionist in his actions and doctrines. After the Mormons were expelled from Missouri, Smith took an increasingly strong anti-slavery position, and a few black men were ordained to the LDS Priest hood and another thing i have encountered is that Blacks treated worse in all other christian churches 

leathalgamer84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 leathalgamer84

[QUOTE="Zeviander"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]It's an even more batsh!t insane version of Christianityworlock77

They can now. For a long time they couldn't, but God changed his mind about that in the late 1970s.

yeah this is why i say this judging of mormons are reily stupid first reading the doctrine they mintion a curse however they do not state they cant get into heaven until 1978 they werent allowed to get the priesthood untill 1978 but as you will se down the line some blacks did racieve this priesthood before then and als in my opinion yes the way i see it organized religion is the dumbest thing but i as a black athiest have looked this so called racism up in the church and this is what ive come across From the beginning, black people have been members of Mormon congregations, When the Mormons migrated to Missuri they encountered the pro-slavery sentiments ofrom their neighbors such as baptised the most dominated minority church in christianity. Joseph smith jr  upheld the laws regarding slaves and slaveholders(becuase fear of persicution, but remained abolitionist in his actions and doctrines. After the Mormons were expelled from Missouri, Smith took an increasingly strong anti-slavery position, and a few black men were ordained to the LDS Priest hood and another thing i have encountered is that Blacks treated worse in all other christian churches 

leathalgamer84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 leathalgamer84

To be honest I don't really know anything about it.

I know one Mormon. He's a pretty nice guy

whiskeystrike

and this what brought me to ask this i have a moromon friend aswell and he is black but he and the other moromons i hang out are cool even though i dont egree with there beliefs i would rather hang with them then certant other people honestly they dont even bother anybody except for coming to your door but if you turn them down they dont act like asses and get pissed unlike JAHOVA witnesses also they dont stand on street corners screeming about how jesus can save you like Catholics and Baptised do once the south park director once said that if there was truly a god that said for you to live a certant way to get into heaven and that if there were only one type of people that would get into heaven it would be the Members of the LDS church

lo_Pine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 lo_Pine
Member since 2012 • 4978 Posts
Just visited Utah for family reasons. My Mormon family members seem to think putting marijuana users in prison is a good idea.... So, that pretty much sums up their idiocy. Strict marijuana users ( not users of other drugs) are non violent and not criminals. Marijuana is not a physically addictive substance. Users won't do anything to get another fix because they are not physically compelled to do so. Case in point, Mormons are irrational hicks.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Just as crazy as most other extreme ideologies.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 worlock77

yeah this is why i say this judging of mormons are reily stupid in my opinion yes the way i see it organized religion is the dumbest thing but i as a black athiest have looked this so called racism up in the church and this is what ive come across From the beginning, black people have been members of Mormon congregations, When the Mormons migrated to Missuri they encountered the pro-slavery sentiments ofrom their neighbors such as baptised the most dominated minority church in christianity. Joseph smith jr  upheld the laws regarding slaves and slaveholders(becuase fear of persicution, but remained abolitionist in his actions and doctrines. After the Mormons were expelled from Missouri, Smith took an increasingly strong anti-slavery position, and a few black men were ordained to the LDS Priest hood and another thing i have encountered is that Blacks treated worse in all other christian churches 

leathalgamer84

There were two black men admited to the priesthood under Joseph Smith. Smith died in 1844, and under his successor, Brigham Young, the LDS church adopted a racist policy, denying the higher priesthood and many church functions to blacks, claiming that blacks were under a curse by placed upon them by God (black skin being, as they claimed, the "Mark of Cain"). This policy lasted until 1978 when it basically became politically untenable for the church to hold such posititions any longer.