MMA Has The Worst Fans Of Any Major Sport

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Boogie_J
Member since 2007 • 1469 Posts

Dont get me wrong, there are some knowledgable MMA fans out there that truly love the sport, but these people are vastly outnumbered by the meathead 'JUST BLEED' fans that boo whenever a fight hits the ground. And after watching machida get knocked out on saturday I realized MMA has a ton of fairweather fans too. Now people are propping up Shogun as the greatest, and casting off machida as some washed-up can (even though thats his first real loss). In MMA, youre only as good as your last fight.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

That happens in every sport. Also in a fighting sport there will be those who just care about the fights than the fighters themselves.

Colin1192

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Colin1192
Member since 2008 • 6221 Posts

I dont think MMA has reached major sport status yet. It is getting there, but I dont think it's there yet

1bigsmoke55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 1bigsmoke55
Member since 2007 • 6856 Posts

Machida isn't washed up. Losing in a sport isn't bad.

kidsmelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 kidsmelly
Member since 2009 • 5692 Posts

That can be said about any sport. Look at football and how eagle fans are treating Mcnabb they think they will be great without him. Don't know what you got til it's gone I say.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

Dont get me wrong, there are some knowledgable MMA fans out there that truly love the sport, but these people are vastly outnumbered by the meathead 'JUST BLEED' fans that boo whenever a fight hits the ground. And after watching machida get knocked out on saturday I realized MMA has a ton of fairweather fans too. Now people are propping up Shogun as the greatest, and casting off machida as some washed-up can (even though thats his first real loss). In MMA, youre only as good as your last fight.

Boogie_J
Exactly. It's ludicrous. I'd say 75+% of MMA fans have no idea what's going on, they just like to see people get punched and kicked in the face. They care little about technique. People saying "Machida is a hack", or "Machida has a glass chin" or "Machida wouldn't last 5 seconds with Jon Jones" akes me laugh because, as you said, he was yesterday's hero. Fact: he got punched in the temple, a hit that WILL scramble your brains 99.9% of the time. Shogun finished it when Machida fell and held on for dear life, thinking he was about to fall out of a plane or something. I can't fathom how anyone could dislike the ground game, but whatever. Some people don't I guess, and don't care to learn about it. I figure those people are the bloodthirsty ex-boxing fans that moved to MMA when they saw it was faster paced and used smaller gloves/more limbs.
RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts
MMA/UFC is all meh to me. I watch it sometimes cuz who doesnt like seeing people get and ass wooping/KO, but I'm not a fan of it. Im a boxing fan, I LOVE BOXING!!!
Avatar image for deactivated-61d91d42c39df
deactivated-61d91d42c39df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#8 deactivated-61d91d42c39df
Member since 2002 • 2741 Posts

Exactly. It's ludicrous. I'd say 75+% of MMA fans have no idea what's going on, they just like to see people get punched and kicked in the face. They care little about technique. People saying "Machida is a hack", or "Machida has a glass chin" or "Machida wouldn't last 5 seconds with Jon Jones" akes me laugh because, as you said, he was yesterday's hero. Fact: he got punched in the temple, a hit that WILL scramble your brains 99.9% of the time. Shogun finished it when Machida fell and held on for dear life, thinking he was about to fall out of a plane or something. I can't fathom how anyone could dislike the ground game, but whatever. Some people don't I guess, and don't care to learn about it. I figure those people are the bloodthirsty ex-boxing fans that moved to MMA when they saw it was faster paced and used smaller gloves/more limbs. Lockedge

maybe because some guys hugging each other on the ground for a whole round is boring.

i'ts amazing how you know the minds of 75% of MMA fans. :roll:

just because people like more of the punching and kicking aspect of mma doesn't make them less "elite" than you.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
So you're ones of those. I like to watch blood sports, ok??? I don't need to know the stats of every fighter to watch it.
DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8785 Posts

In a sport such as MMA, one is bound to get knocked out sometime. I don't see how Machida is washed up. But yeah, there are definitely some idiot fans. I'm usually at a bar when I watch. So drunken idiocy is usually in ample attendance.

jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jfcundiff
Member since 2007 • 6365 Posts
That happens in any sport. With MMA fans, you are only good as your last fight. Machida was unstoppable just a year ago, now he is a nobody with some. Everyone of Fedor's opponents are trumped up as great fighters before a fight, and then tore down after because they were "has-beens" or "overrated" when he beats them. Lesnar gets plenty of hate because he was that "WWE guy" even though he was a NCAA wrestling champion.You also have the fans who fight over organizations and bash on anything not related to the organization they worship. You have fans that only wanted to have guys stand and fight with their C-level kickboxing and boo anytime it hits the ground, but you also have fans that claim you nothing of MMA if you say a fight might have been boring. It comes with the sport, but you have fans like this in any sport out there.
xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xhellcatx
Member since 2006 • 9015 Posts
Ok, I love MMA, and I love it for a few reasons. I dont like to see people bleed (so your probably saying 'why the hell is she a fan of this sport then?') Its the passion of the fighters, and the strategy (yea.. there IS strategy). Also... Its pretty hawt (Im a girl.. gimme a break, sheesh). I dont FULLY know whats going on at times, cause I am still learning about it, but .. I am learning more about it and its REALLY interesting and cool. Im not a fair-weather or bandwagon fan... I am a Fedor girl 100% and really admire the guy. The other fighters and fights that I watch are real interesting but I dont really pick a side often. Its a great sport... and it is a sport now. A few years ago.. not so much.. but now yea its a sport.
whackedjob213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 whackedjob213
Member since 2006 • 2103 Posts

MMA fans are pretty terrible. They just want to see KO's 90% of the time and don't care for mat work ever. It would be like if the Trail Blazers started getting boo'd for slowing down the game to give themselves a better chance at winning. It's a sport you fight to win. It's not any help that the President is the biggest douche of them all.

Anti-Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Anti-Venom
Member since 2008 • 5646 Posts
more blood the better
xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 xhellcatx

MMA fans are pretty terrible. They just want to see KO's 90% of the time and don't care for mat work ever. It would be like if the Trail Blazers started getting boo'd for slowing down the game to give themselves a better chance at winning. It's a sport you fight to win. It's not any help that the President is the biggest douche of them all.

whackedjob213
Way to stereotype all fans of MMA. :roll:
cheesyjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cheesyjon
Member since 2009 • 45844 Posts

I don't like NASCAR fans.

EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts
I'm not sure about the worst fans.. but there is something about their personality that I often find lacking.
haggard_korn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 haggard_korn
Member since 2006 • 3662 Posts

I have no martial arts experience but I think I have a good idea of what's going on during the fights. Also, I don't boo when fights go to the ground. In my opinion fights are usually more interesting when they're on the ground.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
Hate me if you want but I don't consider MMA as a sport.
haggard_korn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 haggard_korn

Hate me if you want but I don't consider MMA as a sport.SF_KiLLaMaN

Care to explain why?

Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Boogie_J
Member since 2007 • 1469 Posts

So you're ones of those. I like to watch blood sports, ok??? I don't need to know the stats of every fighter to watch it. bobaban

i'm not sure why, but I found this post hilarious

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]Hate me if you want but I don't consider MMA as a sport.haggard_korn

Care to explain why?

I don't really consider fighting to be a sport. Same goes for boxing. To me a sport is something where a team works together to win a game. It's nothing against MMA, I just don't consider it a sport.
x8VXU6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 x8VXU6
Member since 2008 • 3411 Posts

Boogie_J

shogun is one of the greatest but I think Chuck Liddel in his prime would have beat him. Who said machida is washed up he only lost one fight?

haggard_korn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 haggard_korn

[QUOTE="haggard_korn"]

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]Hate me if you want but I don't consider MMA as a sport.SF_KiLLaMaN

Care to explain why?

I don't really consider fighting to be a sport. Same goes for boxing. To me a sport is something where a team works together to win a game. It's nothing against MMA, I just don't consider it a sport.

The endurance, strength, training, and mindset it requires to succeed in MMA makes me disagree. But if that's how you feel then more power to yuh. :D

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
Disagree. Curling fans have the worst. Most violent, vile, bigoted fans by far.
DEVILinIRON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 DEVILinIRON
Member since 2006 • 8785 Posts
[QUOTE="haggard_korn"]

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"]Hate me if you want but I don't consider MMA as a sport.SF_KiLLaMaN

Care to explain why?

What about wrestling and Greco Roman wrestling? Both are in the Olympics. Not to mention boxing and judo.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lockedge

[QUOTE="Lockedge"] Exactly. It's ludicrous. I'd say 75+% of MMA fans have no idea what's going on, they just like to see people get punched and kicked in the face. They care little about technique. People saying "Machida is a hack", or "Machida has a glass chin" or "Machida wouldn't last 5 seconds with Jon Jones" akes me laugh because, as you said, he was yesterday's hero. Fact: he got punched in the temple, a hit that WILL scramble your brains 99.9% of the time. Shogun finished it when Machida fell and held on for dear life, thinking he was about to fall out of a plane or something. I can't fathom how anyone could dislike the ground game, but whatever. Some people don't I guess, and don't care to learn about it. I figure those people are the bloodthirsty ex-boxing fans that moved to MMA when they saw it was faster paced and used smaller gloves/more limbs. Deano

maybe because some guys hugging each other on the ground for a whole round is boring.

i'ts amazing how you know the minds of 75% of MMA fans. :roll:

just because people like more of the punching and kicking aspect of mma doesn't make them less "elite" than you.

Hugging on the ground? Well, I'll give you that lay and pray is boring, but when there's movement and transitions, struggles for submissions and to improve position...I find that exciting. I see the technique involved in it and I often rewatch fights to see what X fighter did to escape from the situation he was in, etc. "I'd say 75+%" = What I wager from what I've witnessed. I don't order the PPVs at home, I go to pubs or whatnot, and more often than not, I'm one of a select few NOT booing or jeering towards the screen within 5 seconds of the fight hitting the mat. Most people I personally know who like MMA only like it because they like seeing people get beat up and bloodied. Judging by even Sherdog, which is an MMA forum, having loads of people who care little for anything but the surface violence shows that not too many care about the technique behind the ground game, clinch game, and standing game. I don't know, maybe it's a loose assumption, but I figure when a website dedicated to a subject doesn't have at least half the people genuinely interested in that subject, then a 75+% prediction on people who are surface fans is fairly reasonable. It doesn't matter if people like the stand-up game more. I know plenty of MMA fans who love the stand-up game. It's not about liking it more, it's about not liking MMA enough to be anything but a casual fan. Someone can like hockey all they want, but if they don't know or care what an icing or what standup/butterfly goalie styles are, or whatnot, it makes them casual fans. They like the sport, but they don't like it or care enough to get into the details. That's all I'm saying. So there's a lot of those casual fans in MMA who want people to get beat up. They ride the hype train on the "unstoppable" fighters until they lose, where they claim they were never good anyways; because they don't care about the fighters, they care about the fight(and only PART of the fight). There's no denying a large amount of them are out there. I vaguely recall hearing boos during the Robbie Lawler/Scott Smith fight, which was a crazy good fist-fight. MMA fans boo at anything. At least, MMA fans in North America. The Japanese fans seem much better about it, and all in all, they tend to be more into MMA as a whole. I mean, the fact that some North Americans thought Kimbo would actually be good at MMA because he was in a few backyard fights.....that speaks volumes to what level people hold MMA at.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lockedge
Disagree. Curling fans have the worst. Most violent, vile, bigoted fans by far.imaps3fanboy
Curling fans definitely aren't all that great. At the olympics, they broke out into the Canadian national anthem near the end when Canada had basically locked it up, but not completely. Was pretty rude to the very courteous, entertaining Norwegian club.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lockedge

Ok, I love MMA, and I love it for a few reasons. I dont like to see people bleed (so your probably saying 'why the hell is she a fan of this sport then?') Its the passion of the fighters, and the strategy (yea.. there IS strategy). Also... Its pretty hawt (Im a girl.. gimme a break, sheesh). I dont FULLY know whats going on at times, cause I am still learning about it, but .. I am learning more about it and its REALLY interesting and cool. Im not a fair-weather or bandwagon fan... I am a Fedor girl 100% and really admire the guy. The other fighters and fights that I watch are real interesting but I dont really pick a side often. Its a great sport... and it is a sport now. A few years ago.. not so much.. but now yea its a sport. xhellcatx

Fedor :D

Fedor eats icecream

Aye, I'm not the biggest fan of the blood. I don't like seeing anyone get decimated. :(
I agree, there's always a lot you can learn from watching, and there's definitely a lot of strategy :)

The_AI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The_AI
Member since 2006 • 4791 Posts

I agree, the fans are idiots. There are a ton of MMA fans at my school that won't shut up about it. :x

Personally, I think it's interesting and I definitely respect it more than pro "wrestling" or boxing, but it's nothing that I'd get obsessed with.

xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 xhellcatx

[QUOTE="xhellcatx"]Ok, I love MMA, and I love it for a few reasons. I dont like to see people bleed (so your probably saying 'why the hell is she a fan of this sport then?') Its the passion of the fighters, and the strategy (yea.. there IS strategy). Also... Its pretty hawt (Im a girl.. gimme a break, sheesh). I dont FULLY know whats going on at times, cause I am still learning about it, but .. I am learning more about it and its REALLY interesting and cool. Im not a fair-weather or bandwagon fan... I am a Fedor girl 100% and really admire the guy. The other fighters and fights that I watch are real interesting but I dont really pick a side often. Its a great sport... and it is a sport now. A few years ago.. not so much.. but now yea its a sport. Lockedge

Fedor :D

Fedor eats icecream

Aye, I'm not the biggest fan of the blood. I don't like seeing anyone get decimated. :(
I agree, there's always a lot you can learn from watching, and there's definitely a lot of strategy :)

*tackle hugs and trembles on impact.. and not for teh ice cream* *hugs Lockedge too for providing pic of her idol, and for being awesome in general*

Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts

It's sports fans in general if you ask me...That's one of the reasons I don't really care for/follow sports, along with if you say "I like this sport" other fans ask super obscure questions that only the most hardcore fans can answer and if you don't know the answer you aren't a "true fan."

The_AI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 The_AI
Member since 2006 • 4791 Posts

It's sports fans in general if you ask me...That's one of the reasons I don't really care for/follow sports, along with if you say "I like this sport" other fans ask super obscure questions that only the most hardcore fans can answer and if you don't know the answer you aren't a "true fan."

Bluestorm-Kalas

Agreed, agreed, agreed. That's really all I can say. Most "hardcore" fans are exactly like this.

Avatar image for diegosanchezMMA
diegosanchezMMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 diegosanchezMMA
Member since 2010 • 830 Posts

yea and it also made me mad when people were throwing stuff at josh koscheck

MMA fans can be brutal, but what sport isent, if you think MMA is go to a euro soccer game lolllll

but anyways no matter what i always root for my favorites, diego sanchez and randy the natural catoure!!

Strider_91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 Strider_91
Member since 2007 • 6570 Posts

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"][QUOTE="haggard_korn"]

Care to explain why?

haggard_korn

The endurance, strength, training, and mindset it requires to succeed in MMA makes me disagree. But if that's how you feel then more power to yuh. :D

I agree with SF_KILLaMaN And from what you say haggard i agree.. They're in top shape and are athletes but i still wouldn't say that qualifys it.. But like you say.. its opinions
DanteSuikoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DanteSuikoden
Member since 2008 • 3427 Posts

It does attract the douche's of the world as a fanbase

It doesn't bother me much though

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

Soccer Hooligans>every other sporting fan.

Jfisch93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#38 Jfisch93
Member since 2008 • 3557 Posts

All sports has THOSE fans. You don't have to be elitist about it.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

Soccer Hooligans>every other sporting fan.

October_Tide

This... the amount of damage they do at the stadiums on the trains/busses in the cities is almost comical. On the other hand I feel as though it's good they get it all out of their system or else there would be countless rapes and murders.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Machida is the only guy i've ever liked in that sport :(
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
The best ones are those guys who watch MMA and think they can fight like that just because they watch the stuff, makes me chuckle.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
I'm gonna come out and say it, but I think MMA will never become a main stay sport like Boxing. I personally think that it will fall on the wayside with other sports like Wrestling (not the WWE acting stuff, I mean the real professional wrestling) if it's lucky. This MMA hype-train will eventually die down.
_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

[QUOTE="haggard_korn"]

Care to explain why?

A definition of sport: "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc."

MMA seems to fit nicely within the actual definition of the word.

Soccer Hooligans>every other sporting fan.october_tide

I agree with this.

Personally i enjoy a good ground display in an MMA fight.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
At first i hated the "bros" it seemed to attract, but i think it's here to stay, if someone in my family buys it i enjoy the PPVs.
EolGul2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 EolGul2
Member since 2005 • 1721 Posts

Boogie_J

I think it's split. Hardcore MMA fans can be some of the most passionate, knowledgable sports fans in the world. Casual fans seem to be the ones who have the "just bleed" mentality, but I think this exists in every sport. Almost all hockey fans love fights, football fans love big hits, baseball fans love it when a fight clears the dugout, Nascar fans love crashes, etc. The casual MMA fans generally don't appreciate the finer points of the sport, so they boo. They don't represent the hardcore fans, who often **** about all their booing.

I do agree that there are a lot of fair-weather fans in MMA, even among the hardcore fans. After you've been a fan for long enough however, you realize that fighters aren't just as good as their last fight. **** happens in life, and it's not like these guys play 4 games a week. They fight about once every four months and their fights never last more than 25 minutes. As a result, the wiser MMA fans know that you have to look at the big picture more than someone's last fight. And I'm not just speaking out of my ass, here's the proof. I supported Shogun after a couple lackluster performances because I never forgot what he was capable of. In the long run, I turned out to be right about his Griffin loss being an off night, probably caused by his knee surgeries.

Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
MMA is a terrible sport anyway..
LikeHaterade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LikeHaterade
Member since 2007 • 10645 Posts

I doubt they're worse than LSU fans.

_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

MMA is a terrible sport anyway..Shadowhawk000

Ha ha ha ha.... :|

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

[QUOTE="Shadowhawk000"]MMA is a terrible sport anyway.._Tobli_

Ha ha ha ha.... :|

Its his opinion i guess :P Personally, I'm not a big MMA fan, but I don't think it's "terrible". If you want to talk about terrible, just watch an American Football match. They spend more time huddled up and standing at the line than actually moving. Rugby is like American Football without the suck. Any sport that requires you to be inactive for an extended period of time usually bores me (i.e. Baseball, American Football, Golf, etc...)
oldmanriver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 oldmanriver1
Member since 2009 • 726 Posts

[QUOTE="SF_KiLLaMaN"][QUOTE="haggard_korn"]

Care to explain why?

_Tobli_

A definition of sport: "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc."

MMA seems to fit nicely within the actual definition of the word.

Soccer Hooligans>every other sporting fan.october_tide

I agree with this.

Personally i enjoy a good ground display in an MMA fight.

Calling fishing and hunting a sport is stretching it a bit. Personally agree with the guy you quoted's definition of a sport.

As for TC there are fans like that in every sport, just deal with it. I wouldn't be complaining about fans for MMA either considering by the sound of things MMA needs all the fans it can get to raise in popularity and become a more mainstream sport. Never even heard of it until just now.