Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

User Lists: 0

#51 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19587 Posts

As a millennial (born in the '80s), I regularly eat cereal and lunch. But I'm guilty of the other things (department stores, golf, napkins).

Avatar image for deactivated-5cfbf4322b554
deactivated-5cfbf4322b554

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#52 deactivated-5cfbf4322b554
Member since 2017 • 6 Posts

Generations change, but that doesn't necessarily equate to 'bad'. There is a great VSauce video on this particular psychology, in which the previous generation thinks the next generation is getting worse- its called 'Juvenoia'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD0x7ho_IYc

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38683 Posts

@GTR12 said:

@horgen: "Hard to read" is an understatement, you have vertical scrolling and horizontal scrolling and the weird flip-book animation thrown in.

Its meant to be a semi-serious article, you cant even follow it.

written by a millenial...

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

@comp_atkins said:
@GTR12 said:

@horgen: "Hard to read" is an understatement, you have vertical scrolling and horizontal scrolling and the weird flip-book animation thrown in.

Did you read it?

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#55  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@GTR12:

You are both millenials, I think Gen X is 1964 - 1982 or therabouts.

As for my generation, officially I am among the youngest of the Boomers, but we have little in common with them. Generally, we are called Generation Jones (1956 - 1964) and we are mostly between Baby Boomers and Generation X in how we stand. We have much less in common with true Boomers because we were too young to appreciate Woodstock, too young to remember Kennedys assassination (I was born while he was president), too young for Vietnam, and too young to go to the discos when that crap was popular. Generation Jones were the ones depicted in That 70's Show and the TV series Freaks and Geeks (high school late 70's early 80's ), so as you can guess I understand the things going on in those shows. The big punk movement with The Sex Pistols, Ramones, The Clash, The Damned etc. happened when we were in high school.

I think many of us born in 1960-1964 can relate equally well with Boomers (love 60's Rock for example) and Generation X (loved 80's alternative and early 90's grunge).

Our song was "Your Generation" by Generation X, headed by a young singer known as Billy Idol. It was our rant against the older boomers.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

@tryit said:
@AFBrat77 said:

@multiplat:

The whining millenials (not all) should stop placing the blame on ALL (you made a sweeping statement) baby boomers as if they are responsible for millenials failng to be responsible. And don't blame parenting, most parents of millenials are not even boomers as I stated before.

And I agree with the guy who says we need to curb mass immigration into the U.S., that's one of the very few things Trump got right (just not as heavy handed as he originally proposed) and Obama screwed up on. Many Millenials are just idealistically naive when it comes to this. Millenials have a lot more information at a younger age (mostly thanks to boomers) but they aren't any smarter than any previous generation, they just think they are.

EXACTLY word for word what was said about my generation X-Gen.

EXACTLY the same thing the Greatest Generation said about the hippy generation (which is boomers)

Yup. Nothing but a bunch of people dumping on the younger generation because they don't like how their lives turned out. People have done it since the beginning of time, nothing new. What I really get a kick out of are the people who think they've stumbled upon some big secret. Like "Oh my god, I've had a revelation, everything wrong with the world today, it's because kids today don't try!" And I'm all like "Oh, you mean we had to try? So that's what we've been doing wrong! Thank god, here I am working a minimum wage job, barely paying the bills and making enough to feed myself, navigating financial aid and racking up debt to put myself through college, but all I really have to do is try! Thank you for pointing that out, you're the first person who's ever thought of that!"

And let's not even get started on the people blaming it all on immigrants. I mean, the minimum wage has fallen against inflation since the 70's, unions have declined in membership since the 70's, certain sectors like the financial sector have exploited the tax code and corporate culture to favor certain professions over others and accumulate wealth for those professions since the 70's. But no, it's the immigrants who ruined everything.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 comp_atkins

@horgen said:
@comp_atkins said:
@GTR12 said:

Did you read it?

yes. it was very informative. the style was shit however.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

@Vatusus said:

Getting slammed for not getting married and/or kids is ridiculous. Marriage is worthless. When it comes to "having kids" and "moving away from parents house" I blame the job insecurity that has plagued most jobs for the last decade. ln my country you can hardly get a job with an effective contract. Our future is uncertain but lets not pretend society isn't at fault here

Nope.

Baconstrip78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Baconstrip78
Member since 2013 • 1854 Posts

As a gen Xer, Millenials make me hopeful for the future. Boomers are a generation of insufferable, entitled, racist hypocrites. The world will be a better place once they are gone.

The worst part is working with them. They refuse to learn anything new, are less committed to the success of the team’s they work on, and feel like they should be a supervisor just because they have been around longer.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127517 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

yes. it was very informative. the style was shit however.

Complete crap, the style was.

I will have to read the rest once I have more than 5 minutes to spare.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

@Baconstrip78 said:

As a gen Xer, Millenials make me hopeful for the future. Boomers are a generation of insufferable, entitled, racist hypocrites. The world will be a better place once they are gone.

The worst part is working with them. They refuse to learn anything new, are less committed to the success of the team’s they work on, and feel like they should be a supervisor just because they have been around longer.

agreed!

boomers are the worst of the last 4 generations at least.

borninblood60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 borninblood60
Member since 2017 • 262 Posts

I spent most of my childhood in the 90s born in 89. This was a time when things were becoming more edgy you had the alternative comedy movement, sex appeal started to appear on ads as sex sells. So I grew up where people were unafraid to tell offensive jokes or say certian things as no one gave an F which is why I am against the censorship that goes on now. Never though I'd see a gen of kids willing to destroy their freedoms just to feel good about themselves. I often refer to them as the me, me, me generation but it's also nice to see the younger lot who don't follow the "everthing offends me" crowd.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 TryIt

@borninblood60 said:

I spent most of my childhood in the 90s born in 89. This was a time when things were becoming more edgy you had the alternative comedy movement, sex appeal started to appear on ads as sex sells. So I grew up where people were unafraid to tell offensive jokes or say certian things as no one gave an F which is why I am against the censorship that goes on now. Never though I'd see a gen of kids willing to destroy their freedoms just to feel good about themselves. I often refer to them as the me, me, me generation but it's also nice to see the younger lot who don't follow the "everthing offends me" crowd.

ummmm.

The x gen was LITERALLY nicknamed the Me generation

borninblood60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 borninblood60
Member since 2017 • 262 Posts

@tryit: And the current gen will say the same thing when their kids grow either that or it's a teen phase of being an entitled little prick. I went through it and I'm seeing it in my youngest sister.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#65  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19587 Posts

@jayraby13 said:

Generations change, but that doesn't necessarily equate to 'bad'. There is a great VSauce video on this particular psychology, in which the previous generation thinks the next generation is getting worse- its called 'Juvenoia'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD0x7ho_IYc

"We live in a decaying age. Young people no longer respect their parents. They are rude and impatient. They frequently inhabit taverns and have no self control." - Ancient Egypt

"What is happening to our young people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions. Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?" - Ancient Greece

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By AFBrat77

@tryit:

"boomers are the worst of the last 4 generations at least"

^ that's highly debatable, and I'm sure it wasn't easy for a lot of them moving through the turbulent 60's during Vietnam.....but at least the music was fantastic, particularly 1966 and 1967 :)

mastershake575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By mastershake575
Member since 2007 • 8574 Posts

@Vatusus said: Getting slammed for not getting married and/or kids is ridiculous. Marriage is worthless. When it comes to "having kids" and "moving away from parents house" I blame the job insecurity that has plagued most jobs for the last decade. ln my country you can hardly get a job with an effective contract. Our future is uncertain but lets not pretend society isn't at fault here

Previous generations could get secured jobs for life easier then newer generations, thus more security when moving from their parents house. I'm 30, I already lived out of my parents home for a couple of years but had to return because I didnt had a secure job. Now I'm saving the most I can to finaly be able to buy me a home... but it'll take a while

I remember reading a few months ago that the amount of people that can/want to work full time but can't because there isn't enough full time jobs is the highest ratio it's been in 30 freaking years.

At least where i live, almost every single job under $22 an hour is basically "we'll pay two part timers instead of one full timer" (benefits have gotten so damn expensive and employers want to pocket as much money as possible).

Pre 2007ish, it was worth paying $200 in benefits every month to not have to juggle/deal with 2 or 3 part time employees. Now that the amount is anywhere from $500-700 a month, the employers would rather juggle 2 or 3 part time employees and not have to pay for benefits.

It seems like people are either juggling one or two part times jobs making under $30K a year or are working full time making $50k+ a year.

The entry level professional jobs (full time $32-45K a year ) are basically non existent now a days, even when compared to what was available even just 10 years ago. These where the type of jobs that would get you out of your parents house and help you save for a house/build credit.........

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

@theone86 said:
@tryit said:
@AFBrat77 said:

@multiplat:

The whining millenials (not all) should stop placing the blame on ALL (you made a sweeping statement) baby boomers as if they are responsible for millenials failng to be responsible. And don't blame parenting, most parents of millenials are not even boomers as I stated before.

And I agree with the guy who says we need to curb mass immigration into the U.S., that's one of the very few things Trump got right (just not as heavy handed as he originally proposed) and Obama screwed up on. Many Millenials are just idealistically naive when it comes to this. Millenials have a lot more information at a younger age (mostly thanks to boomers) but they aren't any smarter than any previous generation, they just think they are.

EXACTLY the same thing the Greatest Generation said about the hippy generation (which is boomers)

Yup. Nothing but a bunch of people dumping on the younger generation because they don't like how their lives turned out. People have done it since the beginning of time, nothing new. What I really get a kick out of are the people who think they've stumbled upon some big secret. Like "Oh my god, I've had a revelation, everything wrong with the world today, it's because kids today don't try!" And I'm all like "Oh, you mean we had to try? So that's what we've been doing wrong! Thank god, here I am working a minimum wage job, barely paying the bills and making enough to feed myself, navigating financial aid and racking up debt to put myself through college, but all I really have to do is try! Thank you for pointing that out, you're the first person who's ever thought of that!"

And let's not even get started on the people blaming it all on immigrants. I mean, the minimum wage has fallen against inflation since the 70's, unions have declined in membership since the 70's, certain sectors like the financial sector have exploited the tax code and corporate culture to favor certain professions over others and accumulate wealth for those professions since the 70's. But no, it's the immigrants who ruined everything.

You just answered your own question and hilariously don't even get the connection. So all those problems started in the 70s? And when did immigration get started? When did idiotic leftist hippies start changing things? Oh, that's right, the 60s. So a few years after the immigration door was swung open and we became liberal the problems started.

Btw, prior to 1965 there were several decades straight where America was greatly restricting immigration. That period produced the strongest working class not only in American history, but world history.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#69  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@AFBrat77 said:

@skipper847:

You are Generation X

Generation X is before the mid 80´s so yup he is not a one

Considering that experts use around mid 1980´s up until early 2000´s as a staring and end point for Millennials.

goodzorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 goodzorr
Member since 2017 • 506 Posts

I didn't think I was a 'millennial' having been born in 1989 but I suppose I am! I went to University, graduated in 2010 with approx £19,000 worth of debt. Now that debt just comes off my monthly wage slip before tax. I don't see it, I don't miss it ergo it's pointless and nothing to worry about. I got married at 23, divorced at 26 and owned by own house during that time. Now I'm back to renting because I essentially started from scratch again.

Everyone always finds something to complain about. The next 'generation' will essentially complain about the same things we are. Life is what you make it, and in my opinion too many people are too lazy these days.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#71 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@loco145:

Ask an old person a question about anything and they'll find a reason to bitch about it and how it's not as good as it was in their time. This literally happens to everyone as they get older. I bet we'll follow suit to next generation.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 AFBrat77

@Jacanuk:

I believe he is Generation X as he was born January 1980, so yes, he is. You defined it yourself.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 TryIt

@AFBrat77 said:

@tryit:

"boomers are the worst of the last 4 generations at least"

^ that's highly debatable, and I'm sure it wasn't easy for a lot of them moving through the turbulent 60's during Vietnam.....but at least the music was fantastic, particularly 1966 and 1967 :)

debate it all you want but I ask you this, how many of those voting boomers ever do anything at all representive of the hippie movement. every vote they do, every radio station they listen to is nazified bullshit

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 TryIt

@Wickerman777 said:
@theone86 said:
@tryit said:
@AFBrat77 said:

@multiplat:

You just answered your own question and hilariously don't even get the connection. So all those problems started in the 70s? And when did immigration get started? When did idiotic leftist hippies start changing things? Oh, that's right, the 60s. So a few years after the immigration door was swung open and we became liberal the problems started.

Btw, prior to 1965 there were several decades straight where America was greatly restricting immigration. That period produced the strongest working class not only in American history, but world history.

when did immigration get started? seriously? the height of it was very much not in the 70s...lol

take a guess. ever see Gangs of New York?

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By comp_atkins

@Wickerman777 said:
@theone86 said:
@tryit said:
@AFBrat77 said:

@multiplat:

it did help that after ww2 europe was a complete mess so the US became the de-facto manufacturing capital of the world..

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 TryIt

@comp_atkins said:
@Wickerman777 said:
@theone86 said:
@tryit said:
@AFBrat77 said:

@multiplat:

it did help that after ww2 europe was a complete mess so the US became the de-facto manufacturing capital of the world..

guys 'immigration explosion' has been in this country for hundreds of years.

ever since the beginning.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 theone86

@Wickerman777 said:
@theone86 said:
@tryit said:
@AFBrat77 said:

@multiplat:

If your whole thesis is that immigration increased exactly at the same time as our wages started to decrease, and my thesis is that government and business decisions favoring elites over the working class went into effect at the same time, then why is your thesis superior to mine? Correlation does not prove causation.

But whatever, I don't really expect to convince people like you, I've learned better than to try. I'd rather just expose you for what you are so that the rest of us can sit around looking at you and saying "ah, so that's what hate looks like. I'm so grateful I'm not like that."

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 multiplat
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts

one thing is for certain, The Greatest Generation is so well respected (at least by younger people, we look up to them) ...wheras as boomers are often thought of as lowly of and crapped on. WHETHER this is justified is another question altogether,

When we think of the

Greatest Generation: we think of heroism, military service, true valor, normandy, tuskagee airmen, airborne divisions, band of brothers, women working hard in the factories to support the effort, truly inspirational stuff, wanting to go up to 90+ year old veterans and giving them a hug, or helping them out in anyway

Baby Boomer: Hypocritical white collar Enron type Corporate fraudster, ex-hippie flower child who gave up the LSD in the volkswagon van for a comfy tudor in the suburbs with white picket fence, now with a healthy 401k or IRA. Who was all for diversity in the past, but no longer. Yet the boomer will live longer to an older age unlike their preceeding generations, thus they need the "entitled" younger people to land the hard to find jobs today, because a huge chunk of the young people's paycheck goes to paying the Boomer's Medicare bills when they eat one too many hot dogs and have angina in the third row of an NBA/NFL/MLB playoff game. So boo-hoo the boomer says to the young women and men of today, boo-hoo you can't get a job,..... but wait, I want to live to very advanced age and go golfing when I am ancient, somebody has to pay for my future West African home attendant when I am 100 years old, not to mention all the diapers and bedpans.... blah blah

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By AFBrat77

@multiplat:

The Greatest Generation will also be far more respected than Millenials ever will, so what's the point there?

The true Boomers are those born between 1945 and 1955, the male population faced the threat of being drafted and sent to the jungles of Vietnam by a government that was using them as pawns. The hippies were a reaction to that unpopular war. The drugs were an escape from that reality. Of course they changed after that ugly war. I remember as a young kid in the early 70's wondering if I was going to be sent to Nam when I got older, it was a chilling thought. I did join the U.S. Air Force later on, but as a "tweener" my years in there were the Reagan 80's.

But millenials never had to face that kind of reality. I think most would wilt under the pressure, not sure if they could handle putting their phones away, whilst being drafted and sent to the other side of the world to battle foes like the NVA and Vietcong on their home turf. Before doing a side-by-side comparison of Boomers and Greatest, understand the landscape, Greatest were involved in a popular war whereby U.S territory was attacked and objectives were clear. Boomers faced an unpopular Vietnam War with murky objectives (supposedly to stop the spread of communism) in a remote country that had no chance in hell of being able to attack the U.S directly.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By multiplat

@AFBrat77 said:

@multiplat:

The Greatest Generation will also be far more respected than Millenials ever will, so what's the point there?

But millenials never had to face that kind of reality.

The point is simple. Greatest Generation is beloved.

Boomers eat shade and are shat on. (aside from the Vets, who we ALL are indebted to regardless of what war they fought in, and maybe aside from all the great musical contributions, etc, there are always exceptions).

Millenials are viewed as entitled and lazy, yet Boomers deep down inside know that Millenials will end up financing the Boomers' Geriatric Medicare. Yes, many Millenials wilt, but they wilt under a different kind of pressure, knowing that they have to live in their parents basement because of the boomers sequalae, you can do great in school, get a degree, be intelligent, doing EVERYTHING right, yet the cards are so stacked against you which is in great part due to the boomers lack of forsight and greed.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 AFBrat77

@nepu7supastar7:

Be that as it may, it is generally acknowledged that living in the U.S in the 80's and 90's is far superior to living here in the 21st century.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 multiplat

@nepu7supastar7 said:

@loco145:

Ask an old person a question about anything and they'll find a reason to bitch about it and how it's not as good as it was in their time. This literally happens to everyone as they get older. I bet we'll follow suit to next generation.

its called nostalgia bias.... it takes fortitude to resist it.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 theone86

@multiplat said:

one thing is for certain, The Greatest Generation is so well respected (at least by younger people, we look up to them) ...wheras as boomers are often thought of as lowly of and crapped on. WHETHER this is justified is another question altogether,

When we think of the

Greatest Generation: we think of heroism, military service, true valor, normandy, tuskagee airmen, airborne divisions, band of brothers, women working hard in the factories to support the effort, truly inspirational stuff, wanting to go up to 90+ year old veterans and giving them a hug, or helping them out in anyway

Baby Boomer: Hypocritical white collar Enron type Corporate fraudster, ex-hippie flower child who gave up the LSD in the volkswagon van for a comfy tudor in the suburbs with white picket fence, now with a healthy 401k or IRA. Who was all for diversity in the past, but no longer. Yet the boomer will live longer to an older age unlike their preceeding generations, thus they need the "entitled" younger people to land the hard to find jobs today, because a huge chunk of the young people's paycheck goes to paying the Boomer's Medicare bills when they eat one too many hot dogs and have angina in the third row of an NBA/NFL/MLB playoff game. So boo-hoo the boomer says to the young women and men of today, boo-hoo you can't get a job,..... but wait, I want to live to very advanced age and go golfing when I am ancient, somebody has to pay for my future West African home attendant when I am 100 years old, not to mention all the diapers and bedpans.... blah blah

I've often said that Tom Brokaw was the absolute worst author of his generation, not for his work actually being bad but for the negative effect it's had on society. To me, the belief in the greatest generation is more insidious than actually disregarding their contributions would be. Growing up under the pressure of trying to live up to that myth, it's no wonder boomers are so screwed up. And let's not forget, a lot of the things the younger generations are fighting boomers to change, boomers were on the raw end of it. Whether it's misogyny, racism, abuse, oppressive religious experiences, whatever, even though boomers defend it they're also victims of it. In my experience, not only do a lot of boomers feel like they have no right to complain about any of it, they feel some perverse need to glorify those people simply because they're part of the "greatest generation." That being said, it's no more fun being on the receiving end of the boomers' crap. Part of what makes me hopeful for this generation is that we don't seem to feel the need to just constantly praise everything the previous generation does. That's probably part of the animosity for us, they feel like they did their duty and we're shirking ours, but it's a sign of progress nonetheless.

And let's say something else that needs to be said, being part of a generation doesn't make you inherently good or bad. There are great people and there are crappy turds in each generation. Hell, most of the things the greatest generation was praised for aren't even due to most of the people in that generation. "when the call went out, they stepped up and served." Uh, most of the service members in world war two were draftees, not volunteers. And really, are we going to praise them for just happening to serve in the military when we happened to win one of the few justified wars in history (not that we knew it was justified anyway, we were turning away Jewish refugees and interning Japanese civilians)? Were the soldiers in world war one any less great? If they had been born in Germany would they have still fought Hitler, or would they have joined the military of their birth country like most soldiers throughout history have? Or how about "they oversaw the largest expansion of public services and infrastructure spending in history." Again, did they do that, or did politicians do that? How much can voters really be credited with a politician's agenda? Trump talks all the time about infrastructure spending, but where is it? People don't vote for agendas, they vote for rhetoric, and FDR just happened to be a master of rhetoric. If they love infrastructure and government programs so much, then why are their kids voting to destroy it? Hell, how many of them have been voting against infrastructure and government programs since FDR? The idea that any generation acted with a unified purpose, much less that they should praised for it, is just ludicrous. Most people in this world are just going with the flow.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By multiplat

@theone86: as stated before, it's not just the crap put on you, (and obviously there are bad people in a good generation, and good people in a bad generation)... but rather it's the blatant hypocrisy.

"We are all for the AMERICAN way and protect our way of life. yayyy. GO USA!, long gone are our days of our psychadelic shrooms and afghan heroin, instead we have quaint suburbia, soccer practices, honda odysseys and fabio novels to read and daytime soaps to watch, plus we upgraded to mexican heroin as chicago is the master distribution center"

Yet you basically embrace Clearcut Socialist Programs (USSR, Cuba, etc) like Medicare because you get Ego Integrity vs. Despair during your elderly years. And you need some financial source to pay your healthcare bills. = enter Millenials and Gen-x'ers to shoulder your burden, because after all somebody has to be milked.

Wheras admittedly Dorky Tom Brokow's Greatest Generation, was looking out for their succeeding generations (meaning the soon to be flowerchildren then to be turned into monday morning sloth quarterbacks)....

....AKA Boomers, who on the other hand only look out for themselves only. Please just enjoy the fruits of your cool dad and mom's labor in your last decades with the least collateral damage you can put out. That's all we ask.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#85  Edited By Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

It's probably not fair to judge an entire generation of people, because there are always exceptions. Especially in politics, everyone is really quick to group together large numbers of people, even when there is the possibility of only one common trait.

That said, there are underlying philosophies and values in each generation as a whole (some of these I've found on the web, others just in my own experience):

The Greatest Generation seemed to value work ethic, they embraced challenges instead of running from them, personal responsibility, faith (in each other, in people, in some higher purpose), humility (in its true sense, not in the negative connotation that many seem to place on that word today), somewhat frugal living. I'm sure there are plenty more.

The Boomers were all about sex, drugs, and rock N roll, I'll do whatever I want and to hell with the consequences, I'll do whatever I feel like and whatever feels good, spend money like there is no tomorrow. They wanted absolute freedom without any responsibility. The results of that basic philosophy may have looked different when they were "kids" and protesting a crappy war than the results looked once they were in positions of power to run political and corporate America, but the values they had remained, at least for those that never really "grew up".

There might not be such a stark contrast in succeeding generations for a long time to come. Boomers were almost the exact opposite of their parents.

GenX and Millennials books are yet to be completely written. My hope it that both our generations find a way to have much freedom while also realizing that it comes with much responsibility. In American politics, neither side seems to realize this yet.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 multiplat

@todddow said:

GenX and Millennials books are yet to be completely written.

The first 5 chapters are going to be devoted to how GenX and Millennials have to clean up the feces that the Boomers left.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By TryIt

@multiplat said:
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@loco145:

its called nostalgia bias.... it takes fortitude to resist it.

yes there exceptions. I am one of them.

I have grown more positive about the current the older I get. not less but I agree most people are far too nostalgic for their own good.

I personally think its because of depression or because ones life didnt turn out as they had hoped or at least their expectations of it.

Todddow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#88 Todddow
Member since 2017 • 916 Posts

@multiplat said:
@todddow said:

GenX and Millennials books are yet to be completely written.

The first 5 chapters are going to be devoted to how GenX and Millennials have to clean up the feces that the Boomers left.

Boomers did bring about some important and needed social changes. For instance, we don't have "colored" and "white only" anymore. Personally, I'd like to see a more inclusive society, but one that embraces many of the values of the Greatest Generation. I think it'd be great to be able to combine the positives from previous generations, while combing out the negatives. It seems to me that the Boomers "threw the baby out with the bathwater". Meaning, they just adopted a completely opposite set of values in almost every single way from their parents, to make some good changes, instead of hanging onto the positives values already in place and weeding out the negatives. Honestly, I see Millennials values as very similar to Boomers.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 theone86

@multiplat said:

@theone86: as stated before, it's not just the crap put on you, (and obviously there are bad people in a good generation, and good people in a bad generation)... but rather it's the blatant hypocrisy.

"We are all for the AMERICAN way and protect our way of life. yayyy. GO USA!, long gone are our days of our psychadelic shrooms and afghan heroin, instead we have quaint suburbia, soccer practices, honda odysseys and fabio novels to read and daytime soaps to watch, plus we upgraded to mexican heroin as chicago is the master distribution center"

Yet you basically embrace Clearcut Socialist Programs (USSR, Cuba, etc) like Medicare because you get Ego Integrity vs. Despair during your elderly years. And you need some financial source to pay your healthcare bills. = enter Millenials and Gen-x'ers to shoulder your burden, because after all somebody has to be milked.

Wheras admittedly Dorky Tom Brokow's Greatest Generation, was looking out for their succeeding generations (meaning the soon to be flowerchildren then to be turned into monday morning sloth quarterbacks)....

....AKA Boomers, who on the other hand only look out for themselves only. Please just enjoy the fruits of your cool dad and mom's labor in your last decades with the least collateral damage you can put out. That's all we ask.

I mean, even this I think is the problem with talking about generations. We act as if we can just classify a whole generation based on how it was portrayed in popular culture, but is that accurate? Studies show drug use wasn't as prominent during the 60s as it was portrayed, and even when it got to be more prominent in the 70s there are a lot of people who just weren't into drug culture. There's probably a good 50% of the boomer population who didn't attend protests, didn't do drugs, and have basically always been typical conservative-minded Christians. In the same way, there are plenty of their parents who didn't fight, didn't do anything to really help the war cause (outside of probably working for an employer who was helping the war cause), and basically did what most other people have done with their lives throughout history. Just the same as there are plenty of millennials who buy houses, have families, buy napkins, and don't eat avocado toast (I mean, how else could they afford their houses?) Defining a nation by what's trending or popular doesn't really capture their attitudes or why they make the choices they make.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By multiplat

@theone86: why do you fail to address a very undeniable and simple concept... it's like a classic error of omission. who will pay for your way of life, your medications, your doctor visits, your nursing home stay, your poop and urine chucks, or the suspicious mole excision and biopsy you will be forced to get when your're an old man/woman? who will fund your existence as you grow older and older?

1) just answer this simple question, who will pay for it? you? your fellow boomers who are so generous and charitable? who I ask?

2) The greatest generation did not have to DEPEND on the boomers to live the later stages of their life.

3) The boomers HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO RELY on Milleneals/Gen-xers to pay for their soon to come geriatric days. In fact they are paying right now, and have been paying for years. so who really is entitled here.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By AFBrat77

@theone86:

Well said, it's also sad to see people in here praising WW2 vets but not giving any credit to the Boomers who fought in Vietnam, just a shame. Again, as I have said, I wonder how millenials would react if they had the constant threat of being drafted into a nasty war on the other side of the world. And no smart phones ;). Not very well I'm sure. Perhaps the Boomers did a 180 after the war because they realized how precious life is after living through a wartime reality, so they did what they could to make the best for themselves.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By AFBrat77

@multiplat:

.....and millenials SHOULD pay for it, just as someone will pay for the millenials someday. Take care of the elderly, not that boomers are there yet.

Despite what you said, it's mostly the so-called "Greatest Generation" and the Silent Generation (the Silent Generation are the parents of us tweeners or Generation Jones as we are sometimes called, President Obama is the most famous of Generation Jones, he is 3 weeks older than me) being cared for in the nursing homes. You do realize the oldest boomers are only 71/72 years old, right?

You seem to be particularly hatefull and arrogant toward boomers, not sure why you have a stick up your butt about them.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 theone86

@multiplat said:

@theone86: why do you fail to address a very undeniable and simple concept... it's like a classic error of omission. who will pay for your way of life, your medications, your doctor visits, your nursing home stay, your poop and urine chucks, or the suspicious mole excision and biopsy you will be forced to get when your're an old man/woman? who will fund your existence as you grow older and older?

1) just answer this simple question, who will pay for it? you? your fellow boomers who are so generous and charitable? who I ask?

2) The greatest generation did not have to DEPEND on the boomers to live the later stages of their life.

3) The boomers HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO RELY on Milleneals/Gen-xers to pay for their soon to come geriatric days. In fact they are paying right now, and have been paying for years. so who really is entitled here.

1) I'm not a boomer, I'm a millennial. And no one's going to pay for me in my old age, I'll probably live out my days in some subpar elder care facility, if I even make it that far. That's what's probably going to happen because I've been paying into the trust fund my whole life, but politicians have conspired to use that money to fund boomers' retirements and then end the program entirely before I see any benefits. As much as I despise this, I realize that boomers did not all get together in some massive stadium and take a straw vote to screw my generation over. Like I said, generations don't act as some unified mob making decisions collectively, most of them are just going with the flow. I think plenty of them are extremely selfish and shortsighted, but there are plenty who aren't as well. Is the former a majority? An extremely large minority? Does it really matter? The practice of putting large masses of people into a group and making generalizations about their character is just asinine to me.

2) They absolutely did have to depend on boomers. It's programs like Medicare and Social Security, paid for by boomer paychecks, that have led to the quality of life improvements that are letting the greatest generation live into their 90's with relative comfort. If you've ever had to deal with the costs of getting older then you know that hard work alone doesn't set you up for an easy senescence, it's an extremely costly proposition for even modest care. I've got plenty of bones to pick with the boomers, but they are taking care of their parents with a great deal of care. Too bad the millennials won't do the same, but then again we didn't create the economy that's probably going to prevent us from being able to.

3) Yup, they're going to feel the pain of their own decisions (although, again, plenty of them worked against those decisions). When they do, the cries about millennials ruining everything are only going to get louder. Like I said, we didn't create the economy that's going to prevent us from focusing on caring for them. We didn't explode the costs of college tuition, bust unions, hand tax breaks to corporations that didn't need it, cripple the environment, or send all the productivity gains from the past forty years to the top one percent. We didn't make the mess, we're just the ones who get to clean it up. On a certain level I kind of like that. Not only is it a challenge, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something meaningful. It also allows me to laugh every time I hear someone ranting about how entitled millennials are, how we're screwing everything up. Don't get me wrong, I could definitely do without that, but knowing that we're mostly working towards giving something better to the next generation allows me to laugh it off. Yeah, there are plenty of entitled boomers who do nothing but complain about how millennials aren't kissing their butts and calling it chocolate, but let them be entitled. "A good man cannot be harmed, in life or in death."

@AFBrat77 said:

@multiplat:

.....and millenials SHOULD pay for it, just as someone will pay for the millenials someday.

You seem to be particularly hatefull and arrogant toward boomers, not sure why you have a stick up your butt about them.

Maybe it's because millennial-bashing has practically become a modern pastime. Maybe it's because millennials keep hearing about how they broke everything under the sun, when in reality boomers still dominate politics and business. Maybe it's because millennials feel resentment at the fact that whenever they try to address these concerns (e.g. go to college so they can have a well-paying job, buy a house, and start a family) they get criticized for having to deal the consequences that are already burdening them (e.g. student debt). Maybe it's because of decisions like paying out medicare and social security for boomers, but ending it for millennials essentially stealing from their paychecks. It's actually a little amusing to me that one person goes on a boomer-bashing rant and you get all defensive, but we millennials have to deal with that sort of crap all the ****ing time. If I had a nickel for every time I had to listen to a rant about why my generation sucks, I'd be able to afford a house in the housing market that boomers broke. And I'm not saying the solution is to start bashing boomers, but you shouldn't be surprised when constant rants piling on people for being part of a generation breed a bit of animosity. My read on multiplat is that he sees how those rants affect us adversely and resents it. It's a good thing if you get angry when you see someone else being pushed around, even if you don't always respond in the best way.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By multiplat

@AFBrat77: we already know what the current nursing home demographic is and we are totally cool with it. I was obviously referring to what is soon to come. it's not just about the financial cost that we "SHOULD" pay.. consider this, Millenials/Gen-xer's will also play the lifesupport "roles" for Boomers in the near future. We will be your civic leaders, policymakers, doctors, nurses, lawyers, home aides etc.

This whole thing about generalizing, well DUH....., there are always exceptions to the rule (yes there are aholes in the greatest gen, and there are some inspirational human beings amongst boomers,... we get that already)

You can call it a rant if you want, but you ever here of the word TRIAGE?

We are and we will continue to take care of the very very very elderly first (even though some here dislike the brokow coined greatest generation term), because seriously, how can you not love them? with whatever resources we can muster, because they will come first. Second in line will be our peers, fellow Millenials/Gen-xer's/and the younger generations.

Have you ever considered that the resentment towards your specific generation has become so intense, that you realize we would much rather "take care" of you dads and moms, if they are blessed to live that long, and we much prefer to take care of you sons and daughters before we come to bat for you. Like it may be a conscious triage , or it might be a subconscious triage, but it is a reality, ...

Your entitled to you opinion, likewise we are entitled to how we are going to triage or allocate our manpower and services. So to your point we ARE and WILL CONTINUE TO BE taking care of the elderly with sincerity, just those more elder than you.

Consider this, in the future, you are on the operating table at age 80 because you need a quintuple bypass due to all the sunday county club brunches that clogged your arteries all through the Reagan era right up until last weekend, your cardiothoracic surgeon can either be your fellow highschool mate who is also 80 and is starting to have resting hand tremors and has not bothered to learn anything new since Denzel left St. Elsewhere,..... or it more likely will be an up-to-date Milleneal/Gen-xer' who has years of brewing contempt, that his average indebtedness from college and med school tuition (INFLATION ADJUSTED) that is, is at absurd levels because of the Boomers' recklessness. Inflation Adjusted Indebtedness that you cannot even fathom. You really think said younger surgeon is going to be so pureminded, that it doesn't matter who walks in, be it a democrat, a republican, old, young, supremist, bigot, nazi, terrorists, saint, nun, that he will check his ego and check his bias at the door? cmon get real. Don't bite the hand that may or may not decide to feed you in the near future.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By AFBrat77

@multiplat:

Just for the record I am not a true Boomer for reasons I stated earlier, it isn't all about dates. Our group, while dated within Boomers, have as much in common with GenX as with Boomers, generally we are called Generation Jones, we didn't have the benefits or go through the same experiences as older Boomers, and again Vietnam, Woodstock, Disco, hippies and protests were all just things we heard about as kids.

We were in high school in the late 70's not the 60's. And the 1980's were our prime time. President Obama was the first of us to be president.

Just wanted to clarify that true Boomers were born between 1945 - 1955, we aren't anything like them.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By AFBrat77

@multiplat:

....you just come across as way too bitter. Truth be told at 80 I will probably be in better shape than you are, heart problems are not in my future and I have already kicked Cancer to the curb, and will do it again if need be. I am smart enough to sidestep diabetes. No joint issues. At 56, I need only 1 medication for slight hypothyroidism....basically that's it. I'm on top of health issues, eat right, and stay ahead of the game. No gray, full head of hair, and I could even date women half my age if I wanted ( I prefer women in their 30's) Barring an accident or a freak disease that anyone could get I'm set and happy.

But most people aren't as bitter about a certain generation as you are, so yes, doctors and other medical professionals will continue to act professionally and help people irregardless of Generation not follow your resentment of individuals because of their generation. When it comes down to it, are you saying the majority of millenials would not take care of their grandparents? I think that's insane thinking.

But again I hope you are not talking about my group of people in any event, because we deserve NONE of your resentment. We weren't the Boomers of the 60's or really even belong to that group other than doling out the years.

multiplat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By multiplat

@AFBrat77 said:

But most people aren't as bitter about a certain generation as you are

Are you even reading the other posters in this very thread? They just have more decency and a better filter than me.

@AFBrat77 said:

doctors and other medical professionals will continue to act professionally and help people irregardless of Generation

You are right, I forgot about the "doctors" who will get their medical training from the University of Phoenix Online. They can get their M.D. degree in a crash course completed over 6 weekends, especially when training using the Milton Bradley "Operation" app. These docs are gonna go all out for you making sure you are in better shape than your dad ever was or your sons will ever be. You must be proud of your fountain of youth 56 year old body, of course 30 year old chicks are going to be attracted to you because you are such a beautiful person on the inside and out. Golddigging into Boomer IRA's and 401Ks,??? what a preposterous notion.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By AFBrat77

@multiplat:

Haha, well at least your post gave me a good laugh. It's all good brother. Natural charm and confidence good sir, and still looking 35. Gene on mom's side of family, we all look young. Still, if you take care of yourself it goes a long way to looking young and healthy also, everything in moderation, don't smoke, and eat a half cup blueberries every day as part of your antioxidant regiment (for me it's an almond milk, blueberry, banana, cinnamon, plant protein mix smoothie every day). Once I beat Cancer I did a 180 with my eating habits.....works wonders.

I digress, but I'm tired of the subject matter. Needless to say I'm not part of that big boomer group from 1945 - 1954, we are the first ones after the big boomer experience of the 60's and early 70's. Most of my friends are GenX or Gen Jones, but a few of my closest are true Boomers, and because of them I defend Boomers because these guys are like big brothers to me, they got my back in troubled times.

The only ones I don't "get" are the under 30 millenials, and I'll admit it might be partly my fault. I know it's not a great time for them, and they may not be as lost a generation as I thought. The internet certainly provides them alot of information at a young age, and I wonder if it's too much info. As far as parenting, you can't blame the True Boomers (1945 -1954) for that, the blame can be placed squarely on those of us from Generation Jones (1955 - 1964) and GenX (1965-1982).

NakedHeadcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#99 NakedHeadcrab
Member since 2007 • 138 Posts

Marrying and having kids while you're still young is an overrated concept, this is an overpopulated world, we don't need more people... As a member of the previous generation (Generation X, which was not that great after all) I must say I still have some confidence in millennials, they still have time to do things right, and the fact they are not making the same mistakes of previous generation proves that they are not that lost.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I don't mind my eldest kid still staying with us even though she's legally an adult. It's typical for Asians to have several generations under one roof and we have a strong Asian heritage. We take care of our own. Family ties matter the most.

I went totally on my own when I was 22. I'm not going to hold my eldest kid to the same. She can stay with us or move out whenever she wants.