Military Enlistment

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

Would you ever enlist in the military? If so, what branch would you enlist in? I personally would not. I'm not a team player and prefer privacy. Hence, I'm adverse to the prospect of having to rely and constantly interact with fellow troops, share barracks with them, and take showers with them. Furthermore, the idea of being deployed to fight a war is horrifying. Stories of troops who have been horribly disfigured/ maimed or killed as a result of being sent to war are the best deterrent to joining the military. Anyhow, what about you guys?

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Nope. I'm not ready to join the system.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
No.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
Hell no. I'm not going to die for a bunch of politicians.
BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

Hell no. I'm not going to die for a bunch of politicians. l4dak47

What if we were in the future and had a military that spanned the entire galaxy, which means that you could be deployed to other planets and star systems? In that case, I'd do it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts
national guard becuase they defend the nation? i want to stay in america
FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FMAB_GTO
Member since 2010 • 14385 Posts
Military no,rebels yeah!
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Yes (Canadian Forces at least). As I have a degree, I would apply to the commissioned officer program and probably go for a combat role. It was always a possibility for me in high school. I'm not sure why I didn't pursue it though. A military career comes with great benefits. The only problem is the whole negative effect it has on romantic relationships.
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
Definitely not.
Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

I would if a major world war broke out. I would probably pee my pants in combat and regret being there and maybe die but I'd also regret not joining.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts

[QUOTE="l4dak47"]Hell no. I'm not going to die for a bunch of politicians. BluRayHiDef

What if we were in the future and had a military that spanned the entire galaxy, which means that you could be deployed to other planets and star systems? In that case, I'd do it.

Nah, I'd like to be in control of my own life and death.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#12 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

[QUOTE="l4dak47"]Hell no. I'm not going to die for a bunch of politicians. BluRayHiDef

That's different.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#13 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

That one that does nothing.

I think it's either National Guard or Coast Guard.

Or Navy.

Aw hell, just make me a nurse so I can be on pin-ups to keep morale high.

inartistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 inartistic
Member since 2012 • 130 Posts
No, actually maybe the navy as a last resort. I am not a fan of the military though.
Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

I never have, and I don't think I ever will. I believe in personal self-defense, but not joining armies that help pit nations against each other.

Avatar image for DisturbedChild7
DisturbedChild7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DisturbedChild7
Member since 2005 • 3753 Posts
I'm considering it. Marines or Navy.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I would do Air Force or Army. Since I graduated college I would be enlisted in the ROTC and become an officer after training.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I'd be a doctor then. Something like that would need doctors.

Nohtnym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nohtnym
Member since 2010 • 1552 Posts

I had mandatory military service, 1 year.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

I would do Air Force or Army. Since I graduated college I would be enlisted in the ROTC and become an officer after training.

thegerg

If you've already finished school ROTC isn't an option, sorry.

Ok, whatever makes me an officer.

That.

BloooMoonMon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BloooMoonMon
Member since 2012 • 140 Posts
I don't thnk I would do that.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Marine Corp. Or Navy.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Fawk no, I'll make more money when I finish my degrees, and if there was ever a draft I'd just move to Mexico.
Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16880 Posts

Already served in the Air Force.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 THE_DRUGGIE

Fawk no, I'll make more money when I finish my degrees, and if there was ever a draft I'd just move to Mexico.Fightingfan

>want to avoid getting killed

>go to Mexico

PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTHAHAHAHAHA

Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts

Probably not.

Mario_Eater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mario_Eater
Member since 2010 • 344 Posts
I'm waiting until I finish uni. I've wanted to join the Australian Army since I was younger, although I hate the thought of being a political tool. In fact, I have no logical reason to join the army (I don't even agree on many of Australia's current deployments), but it's just something I have always wanted to do...
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Fawk no, I'll make more money when I finish my degrees, and if there was ever a draft I'd just move to Mexico.THE_DRUGGIE

>go to Mexico

Go to the white people section.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 THE_DRUGGIE

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Fawk no, I'll make more money when I finish my degrees, and if there was ever a draft I'd just move to Mexico.Fightingfan

>go to Mexico

Canada?

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

>go to Mexico

THE_DRUGGIE

Canada?

No, I heard they don't like showers.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 THE_DRUGGIE

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] Go to the white people section.Fightingfan

Canada?

No, I heard they don't like showers.

That's Seattle.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#36 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Not a chance.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
I've been in the Air National Guard for 3 years. Half way through my contract. ^^Vuurk
I thought you'd said you were at college right now...?
Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#39 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts

Watch Starship Troopers.
pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts

[QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

If you've already finished school ROTC isn't an option, sorry.

Ok, whatever makes me an officer.

That.

Why
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Would you ever enlist in the military? I personally would not.

BluRayHiDef

The military isn't for everybody, but a reality I saw that was bad for recruiters was the fact that less than 25% of men and women in the US between the ages of 17 and 24 are even eligible to enlist in the first place. The remaining 75% is either too fat, has a criminal record, has medical problems, is a drug addict, or is too dumb to pass the ASVAB.

For the 25% that is eligible, the vast majority of them don't want anything to do with the military because they want to go straight to college or have other plans. Lucky for the military, though, since less than 1% of the population serves at anytime (not counting the past such as during World War 2) they usually still meet their recruiting missions.

The biggest issue some people have that I see is the misconceptions such as people thinking you won't make any money in the military or you're going to live in Full Metal Jacket type barracks for your career. You actually start out making more than your average high school graduate and for the single guys most Army barracks look like this after basic is over.

Fact of the matter is getting hurt is always going to be a possibility so that's a risk you have to take. But that doesn't mean you will get hurt. There's no ratings showing the 95% of troops who return from deployment unhurt, so the 5% that is hurt or killed gets all of the attention. If CNN did daily reports on Private Smith who plays World of Warcraft without incident nobody would watch.

One more thing to consider is that Call of Duty and the vast majority of other games about the military focus on infantry and Special Operations. That's what holds the attention of gamers. No gamer is going to care about the other "boring" jobs such as being a finance clerk or some other desk job that almost never leaves base, so they focus on the front line jobs that most civilians think are the ONLY jobs in the military.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Fawk no, I'll make more money when I finish my degrees, and if there was ever a draft I'd just move to Mexico.Fightingfan

The draft being reinstated doesn't guarantee being put in the military. There are so many things that could make you unfit for service all it would take is a Google search to figure out which one you want to use. For example, thanks to the Launtenberg Amendment wife beaters can't enlist because they can't legally touch a firearm.

noscope-ak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 noscope-ak47
Member since 2012 • 1318 Posts

Ok I am ex military I was in the navy and army. You guys watch too much tv most jobs are in the rear with the gear. Plus most young people only have cell phone and car payments. Most jobs are just like civilian jobs you go to work and then you go back home. Most people in the military have never fired a shot in a combat zone. Also most guys in the military can't get into spec ops and those that can still have to get on a waiting list and make it thru training. Then after that your just tagged and need to wait for a slot in a platoon. The whole time your still making money just for having that patch. You still retain your original mos and get that bonus for completing your training. You speak and write another language even more money. You got a degree go OCS bingo instant rank and promotion with good food and housing.

So your going to be pulling down a nice tax free check on the 1st and 15th every month. When you deploy your checks get fat. Also if you get married and have kids you get even more money and benefits. Your food and housing with no utility's is a done deal that is bulk of most peoples money taken care of already. However you must stay in shape and don't be late and follow orders and don't be a broke dick. How easy is that. Anything goes wrong you have the best insurence around and you have a life insurance policy that is dirt cheap so your family is covered.

You get hurt you got separation pay then you go to the VA and get a life time tax free check every month. Then you get VOC-rehab ie free school plus extra money for living expenses and full medical and dental while your in school. You make it in the military your get 50% pay plus medical/dental/eye for life and depending on what you did a security clearence that at minimumis worth 10k a year at a civilian job. Your future boss knows you will show up and get the job done plus they get a tax break for hiring a vet.

The military is not for everybody and not everybody can get in but if you do it will be fun. Nobody can party like the military or have jokes and the friends I have made are for life I trust them more than my own flesh and blood. I will not sugar coat it there are **** in the military and some lazy bums and people that use drugs and people that steal. Plus combat is not for girly men. You must have a level head and be committed or you will have problems. You will get on the job training in the military and if you pick a good MOS when you get out then you will be set.

Personally I liked the military and if I had it to do over again I would go OCS.

Oh you get a free gym membership and I have been around the world for free. Kinda sleepy so I might have some spelling issues.

TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

I was not cut for the military.

I can't even imagin myself surviving in an area with conflict.

Im one of those that you should just leave behind as a medic or some other support.

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#45 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

If it was something that I truly felt was a necessary investment of my time and effort, I'd go for it.

As it stands, most of the world's wars atm are kind of meaningless.

Also, the idea of being property of the government bothers me. I'm a human being, not a tool of an establishment to which I don't fully support.

There are a lot of reasons why I wouldn't join the military, but the main driving force against it for me is the fact that our current wars are not meaningful or important to me. If there was a world-scale invasion and war which I felt that there was actually something at stake, I'd probably be more motivated to enlist.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'm done with serving king and country. If the military ever needs me back, they must really be in bad shape.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

I'm not one to always follow protocol. So yeah, definitely not military material.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178873 Posts
I enlisted in the army and served 4 years. And I don't want to burst your fantasies....but showers are not community all the time.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#49 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Would you ever enlist in the military? If so, what branch would you enlist in? I personally would not. I'm not a team player and prefer privacy. Hence, I'm adverse to the prospect of having to rely and constantly interact with fellow troops, share barracks with them, and take showers with them. Furthermore, the idea of being deployed to fight a war is horrifying. Stories of troops who have been horribly disfigured/ maimed or killed as a result of being sent to war are the best deterrent to joining the military. Anyhow, what about you guys?

BluRayHiDef
I respect your reasons, it is not for everyone. I was 4 years active US Army and am now Air Force. I love the camaraderie and teamwork. Most of the things you are talking about are basic training only, I don't have to live in barracks and I don't have to take showers with other dudes lol. Maybe in the Navy;)
OG_LIP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 OG_LIP
Member since 2012 • 370 Posts

LOL.. that's for poor people who can't pass high school.