Mainstream rap/hiphop is sad.

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

G-O-M-J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 G-O-M-J
Member since 2009 • 1520 Posts

Talking about women as if there nothing more than objects, bragging about how much money they have, how many people they have supposedly killed. Does this seem pathetic to you guys? I mean they're sending a really bad message and people just lap it up. Who here listens to 50 cent? show yourselves..

SteverXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SteverXIII
Member since 2010 • 3795 Posts
Yeah, I can't stand music that sends a bad message Now, excuse me while I go listen to some Cannibal Corpse
Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
I keep a cutie with a soft booty hoes be running up can I get your autograph L no b*tch Im off duty
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I'm not gonna lie, when I finish my PhD I'm gonna go on a "Fawk You" rampage.
DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DaJuicyMan
Member since 2010 • 3557 Posts

Most mainstream music, genre ignored, sucks and much of it also has no/bad messages.

No need to try and villianize hip-hop..

G-O-M-J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 G-O-M-J

Yeah, I can't stand music that sends a bad message Now, excuse me while I go listen to some Cannibal CorpseSteverXIII
Now that **** disturbing.

Sunfyre7896

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sunfyre7896
Member since 2011 • 1644 Posts

Hipsters unite

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bucked20

What do you think of this song Im listening to?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zm1Urn2xcmQ

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

Bucked20
Webbie still makes music? The only song I know from him was Independent, and when he was with Boosie.
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

I don't care how crude some Rap is, it is still awesome.

JustBeYourself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JustBeYourself
Member since 2012 • 686 Posts
[QUOTE="SteverXIII"]Yeah, I can't stand music that sends a bad message Now, excuse me while I go listen to some Cannibal Corpse

It totally sends a bad message and has created an army of wannabe gangstas who thinks that is what they should be aiming for in life. The Alpha Male hip-hop caricature propagated in a lot of gangsta rap and hip hop has definitely been a negative force on modern society. Frankly I'm surprised if there's anyone who agrees with that who's actually set their foot out the door and gone into the real world. No good can come of young people looking up to people who brag about killing, crime and misogyny.
Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bucked20

[QUOTE="Bucked20"]

Fightingfan

Webbie still makes music? The only song I know from him was Independent, and when he was with Boosie.

Yup,he had an album out last year savage life 3

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DarkGamer007

[QUOTE="SteverXIII"]Yeah, I can't stand music that sends a bad message Now, excuse me while I go listen to some Cannibal CorpseJustBeYourself
It totally sends a bad message and has created an army of wannabe gangstas who thinks that is what they should be aiming for in life. The Alpha Male hip-hop caricature propagated in a lot of gangsta rap and hip hop has definitely been a negative force on modern society. Frankly I'm surprised if there's anyone who agrees with that who's actually set their foot out the door and gone into the real world. No good can come of young people looking up to people who brag about killing, crime and misogyny.

No good can come out of young people who playing video games that depict graphic violence, sexualizes women, and use crude and harsh language. Video games have clearly been a negative force on modern society. I mean just look outside with all these school shootings!

JustBeYourself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JustBeYourself
No good can come out of young people who playing video games that depict graphic violence, sexualizes women, and use crude and harsh language. Video games have clearly been a negative force on modern society. I mean just look outside with all these school shootings!DarkGamer007
Well if someone did "look up" to Tommy Vercetti or something then I imagine that wouldn't be a very good thing, wouldn't you agree? But video game character's aren't even real, you won't find many people looking up or idolizing a video game character but you will a real, actual PERSON.
G-O-M-J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 G-O-M-J

Bucked20
soulless
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DarkGamer007

[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]No good can come out of young people who playing video games that depict graphic violence, sexualizes women, and use crude and harsh language. Video games have clearly been a negative force on modern society. I mean just look outside with all these school shootings!JustBeYourself
Well if someone did "look up" to Tommy Vercetti or something then I imagine that wouldn't be a very good thing, wouldn't you agree? But video game character's aren't even real, you won't find many people looking up or idolizing a video game character but you will a real, actual PERSON.

The same thing could be said about any entertainer, doesn't mean their work negatively influences people, or that they negatively influence people. Blaming rap music solves nothing, and is just a scapegoat for something that is either a lack of education and thought by a person or parenting. To go with my example, true you will not find many people idolizing a video game character, but hey its interactive, the player is the one chainsawing someone in half, beating someone with a baseball bat, and shooting people.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]No good can come out of young people who playing video games that depict graphic violence, sexualizes women, and use crude and harsh language. Video games have clearly been a negative force on modern society. I mean just look outside with all these school shootings!JustBeYourself

Lots of these gangsta rappers are fake too. They're creating a character for themselves much like an actor who plays a drug dealer. There are definitely some out there who really live the life they claim to live but a lot of times it's all an act.

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts
no sadder than songs about war or how bruno mars wants to protect every fat girl he can
JustBeYourself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JustBeYourself
The same thing could be said about any entertainer, doesn't mean their work negatively influences people, or that they negatively influence people. Blaming rap music solves nothing, and is just a scapegoat for something that is either a lack of education and thought by a person or parenting. To go with my example, true you will not find many people idolizing a video game character, but hey its interactive, the player is the one chainsawing someone in half, beating someone with a baseball bat, and shooting people.DarkGamer007
Um I'm saying that the propagation of a violent, misogynist alpha male caricature negatively affects many young people, especially those who are more easily influenced. People look up to singers/artists and often grow to respect what they say and how they act - if said artist is rapping about how women are worthless and that a true man is always carrying a gun - how is that not a bad thing? Your counterargument seems to be saying "you can't blame rap for everything" but that doesn't at all refute what i'm saying which is that overall it does have a tangibly negative influence on many young people - how they act, think and see the world.
G-O-M-J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 G-O-M-J
I most listen to metal but these raps are very good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjvUMr1-AAU&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBNeD57-RVg&feature=fvst
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JML897
JustBeYourself must also hate violent video games and that devilish rock n roll music.
Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts
Many rappers are too narcissistic and misogynistic for me. I don't have a problem with people listening to it though.
JustBeYourself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JustBeYourself
JustBeYourself must also hate violent video games and that devilish rock n roll music. JML897
I think I've clearly established the difference between video games and gangsta rap. Maybe you should read what I write before talking about me :-)
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JML897

[QUOTE="JML897"]JustBeYourself must also hate violent video games and that devilish rock n roll music. JustBeYourself
I think I've clearly established the difference between video games and gangsta rap. Maybe you should read what I write before talking about me :-)

"Video games are okay because I play video games"
"Rap music is a bad influence because I don't like rap music"

Let's be real, that's basically your argument. What you've been saying is no better than the old out-of-touch people who wanted to ban some rock music in the 80s & 90s.

kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts
I keep a cutie with a soft booty hoes be running up can I get your autograph L no b*tch Im off duty Bucked20
dayumm
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#26 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
You described essentially what most 'radio music' is.
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DarkGamer007

[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]The same thing could be said about any entertainer, doesn't mean their work negatively influences people, or that they negatively influence people. Blaming rap music solves nothing, and is just a scapegoat for something that is either a lack of education and thought by a person or parenting. To go with my example, true you will not find many people idolizing a video game character, but hey its interactive, the player is the one chainsawing someone in half, beating someone with a baseball bat, and shooting people.JustBeYourself
Um I'm saying that the propagation of a violent, misogynist alpha male caricature negatively affects many young people, especially those who are more easily influenced. People look up to singers/artists and often grow to respect what they say and how they act - if said artist is rapping about how women are worthless and that a true man is always carrying a gun - how is that not a bad thing? Your counterargument seems to be saying "you can't blame rap for everything" but that doesn't at all refute what i'm saying which is that overall it does have a tangibly negative influence on many young people - how they act, think and see the world.

What I'm saying is the propagation of violence, and objetification of women for entertainment purposes negatively affects many young people, especially those who are more easily influenced. People play vidoe video games and often grow desensatized for what they saw and played - if said video game depicts people being cut in half, beaten to death and making women merely objects for pleasure - how is that not a bad thing? Your counterargument seems to be saying that rap is a negative influence while ignoring every other facet of life that is filled with many could be negative influences, such as video games, movies, books, and other genres of music. What I am saying is that is it possible for art to affect someone negatively? Yes ofcourse it can, but there are plenty of people who listen to rap and are nice, respectful, and peaceful people. The whole "rap music is bad for the children" argument is just as stupid and irrelavent as the "video games caused Colombine" argument. You are using rap music as a scapegoat for stupidity, lack of direction, poor environments, and/or bad parenting. People have been doing stupid things, commiting crimes, committing horrible attrocities, and being violent and mysoginistic well before rap music, well before video games, well before movies, comics, and Buddy Holly. I think saying that any of these mediums have a widespread negative impact on people is completely false. Yeah maybe they will negatively affect a small number of people, but that will be true of anything.

TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA
Member since 2011 • 1852 Posts
gangsta rap made me do it
JustBeYourself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JustBeYourself
You are using rap music as a scapegoat for stupidity, lack of direction, poor environments, and/or bad parenting. People have been doing stupid things, commiting crimes, committing horrible attrocities, and being violent and mysoginistic well before rap music, well before video games, well before movies, comics, and Buddy Holly. I think saying that any of these mediums have a widespread negative impact on people is completely false. Yeah maybe they will negatively affect a small number of people, but that will be true of anything.DarkGamer007
 No, I'm not using rap as a scapegoat. I'm simply stating the fact that rap music that uses violent and misogynistic imagery negatively influences a lot of young people and how they think and view the world. You call those people a "small" group but its really not as small as you think. And obviously most of the people most affected are those who grew up in a poor enviroment often with a missing father figure etc......but that's not the issue here. Rap music doesn't make that situation better, it makes it worse. You need to stop trying to go into some mode where you have all these pre-programmed responses and assumptions like "He's blaming rap for EVERYTHING!" and actually read what people are saying.
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DarkGamer007

[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]You are using rap music as a scapegoat for stupidity, lack of direction, poor environments, and/or bad parenting. People have been doing stupid things, commiting crimes, committing horrible attrocities, and being violent and mysoginistic well before rap music, well before video games, well before movies, comics, and Buddy Holly. I think saying that any of these mediums have a widespread negative impact on people is completely false. Yeah maybe they will negatively affect a small number of people, but that will be true of anything.JustBeYourself
 No, I'm not using rap as a scapegoat. I'm simply stating the fact that rap music that uses violent and misogynistic imagery negatively influences a lot of young people and how they think and view the world. You call those people a "small" group but its really not as small as you think. And obviously most of the people most affected are those who grew up in a poor enviroment often with a missing father figure etc......but that's not the issue here. Rap music doesn't make that situation better, it makes it worse. You need to stop trying to go into some mode where you have all these pre-programmed responses and assumptions like "He's blaming rap for EVERYTHING!" and actually read what people are saying.

I am reading what you are saying. You are saying that rap music has a negative influence on people. So can I ask you how you feel about video games, movies, books, and every other person that is considered relavent or important to a mass population?

JustBeYourself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JustBeYourself
I am reading what you are saying. You are saying that rap music has a negative influence on people. So can I ask you how you feel about video games, movies, books, and every other person that is considered relavent or important to a mass population?DarkGamer007
I'm not saying it has a negative influence on everyone and I'm well aware plenty of people are smart enough to not take what rappers say seriously Regarding movies/games/books............I don't know if you've noticed but when it comes to musical artists, people tend to get a lot more attached to them and what they're saying than they are of some violent video game or book character. As for movies....are there really many people looking up to violent movie characters? Definitely nothing compared to music.
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

Talking about women as if there nothing more than objects, bragging about how much money they have, how many people they have supposedly killed. Does this seem pathetic to you guys? I mean they're sending a really bad message and people just lap it up. Who here listens to 50 cent? show yourselves..

G-O-M-J

atleast someone else has noticed

cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts

You should try listening to Danny Brown then. I can suggest more if you like that.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
For rap, i just know that mainstream will always be bad, honestly. I listen to Dan bull for my rap needs, i mean he raps about games too :P
digimonkey12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 digimonkey12
Member since 2009 • 1851 Posts

I most listen to metal but these raps are very good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjvUMr1-AAU&feature=related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBNeD57-RVg&feature=fvstG-O-M-J
I was just browsing thorugh some of the new metal, it it just awful. I can´t decide whether the mainstream metal or the not so known metal is most awful. That genre has been soulless since the 70´s.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#36 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts
I don't even know whats mainstream anymore.
TH1Sx1SxSPARTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TH1Sx1SxSPARTA
Member since 2011 • 1852 Posts
if you listen to mainstream rap. your doing it wrong
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DarkGamer007

[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]I am reading what you are saying. You are saying that rap music has a negative influence on people. So can I ask you how you feel about video games, movies, books, and every other person that is considered relavent or important to a mass population?JustBeYourself
I'm not saying it has a negative influence on everyone and I'm well aware plenty of people are smart enough to not take what rappers say seriously Regarding movies/games/books............I don't know if you've noticed but when it comes to musical artists, people tend to get a lot more attached to them and what they're saying than they are of some violent video game or book character. As for movies....are there really many people looking up to violent movie characters? Definitely nothing compared to music.

People can be just as influenced by a book, movie, or video game as they can a musical artist. Arguing that rap music makes a situation worse is illogical in my opinion, real world violence and nature will be far more destructive and influential than any spoken words. **** da Police" did not spread anti-police sediment, the negative views of the police held by people due to bad encounters with the police spread anti-police sediment.

wii60_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 wii60_3
Member since 2007 • 2017 Posts
why diss 50? hes atleast decent when he wants to be, hustlers ambition
JustBeYourself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JustBeYourself
People can be just as influenced by a book, movie, or video game as they can a musical artist. Arguing that rap music makes a situation worse is illogical in my opinion, real world violence and nature will be far more destructive and influential than any spoken words. **** da Police" did not spread anti-police sediment, the negative views of the police held by people due to bad encounters with the police spread anti-police sediment.DarkGamer007
Can people be influenced by books/movies/video games? Yeah sure, but I've already explained the distinction - video game and movie characters that display misogynistic/violent attitudes simply aren't as likely to influence anywhere near as many young people. And maybe if a book encouraging people to view women as objects and that gang culture is awesome sells a million copies, I'll be a bit more worried about books. And just how many movies have a character that is violent and misogynistic and paints them in a good light to be admired? I'm making the distinction very clear, I don't see why you're pretending like music is in the same boat as books/movies/video games because they're quite evidently not. You're viewing this in a very shallow manner that doesn't relate to the real world.
Wolf-Man2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 Wolf-Man2006
Member since 2006 • 4187 Posts

There are a couple "mainstream" rappers that avoid being a stereotype

JustBeYourself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JustBeYourself

Wolf-Man2006
Chamillionaire for example, his music is pretty awesome
kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts
[QUOTE="Wolf-Man2006"]

JustBeYourself

He still is a stereotype though
cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 cmpepper23

[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]People can be just as influenced by a book, movie, or video game as they can a musical artist. Arguing that rap music makes a situation worse is illogical in my opinion, real world violence and nature will be far more destructive and influential than any spoken words. **** da Police" did not spread anti-police sediment, the negative views of the police held by people due to bad encounters with the police spread anti-police sediment.JustBeYourself
Can people be influenced by books/movies/video games? Yeah sure, but I've already explained the distinction - video game and movie characters that display misogynistic/violent attitudes simply aren't as likely to influence anywhere near as many young people. And maybe if a book encouraging people to view women as objects and that gang culture is awesome sells a million copies, I'll be a bit more worried about books. And just how many movies have a character that is violent and misogynistic and paints them in a good light to be admired? I'm making the distinction very clear, I don't see why you're pretending like music is in the same boat as books/movies/video games because they're quite evidently not. You're viewing this in a very shallow manner that doesn't relate to the real world.

Where's your evidence then? I'm pretty sure they are in the same boat.

Wolf-Man2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Wolf-Man2006

[QUOTE="JustBeYourself"][QUOTE="Wolf-Man2006"]

kingkong0124

At least he tried to move away from that in his second album, which wasn't all that bad to be honest

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Bucked20

50 still good what you think about this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wle7aaKAF0

cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 cmpepper23

[QUOTE="kingkong0124"][QUOTE="JustBeYourself"] Chamillionaire for example, his music is pretty awesomeWolf-Man2006

At least he tried to move away from that in his second album, which wasn't all that bad to be honest

It was good and one of the better produced albums of that time.

Wolf-Man2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Wolf-Man2006

Bucked20

Meh... Still as monotone and boring as ever

barren_176

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 barren_176
Member since 2011 • 1441 Posts

This is why I listen to bands like Shinedown. Real music with a good message.

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Bucked20

[QUOTE="Bucked20"]

Wolf-Man2006

Meh... Still as monotone and boring as ever

Its not suppose to be a hype song