Lost my job to a girl

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

chandlerr_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: -2

#1 chandlerr_360
Member since 2006 • 5078 Posts

Ok, so recently I have been waiting to hear back from a distribution warehouse that I applied to for a job that my buddy works at, and today he told me that the position I was applying for was taken...and they gave it to a 18 year old girl (I'm 19). Now I am no sexist or anything, but the reason why this absolutely baffles me is that the entire job revolves around lifting, moving, and loading hevy crates/boxes into trucks...100+ lbs...7 hours a day. I am in pretty good shape and I applied to the job specifically because it was the type of manual labor job where you clock in, work, and clock out just like I was wanting.

Empirically I would be able to do the job better than this chick, any average young male would be able to, yet because of the bull**** political tape and regulations they probably hired this girl because of I am out of the job, a perfectly capable young male perfectly suited for the requirments of the job. So now I am forced to go back looking for some crappy dead end retail job or looking back into the military, because I simply refuse to have my parents spend money for a university degree and I refuse to be buried in debt for the rest of my young adult life.

Personal issues aside, does anyone else see instances like this as a serious problem? I mean there are always reports/statistics claiming that young males are more involved in crime and drugs, scoring lowers on tests, and being unemployed, but it seems as if the clearly obvious reasons whyare simply being overlooked. When more than capable young males out of Highschool are forced to compete with less competent young women or older men past their prime and losing out and being held back, how can they be expected NOT to get angry and discouraged?

Sorry if I am coming off as sexist, however I find the lack of opportunities for young guys like me to be a serious issue plagueing the U.S. (and me lol).

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
Damn you ERA!
MissLibrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 MissLibrarian
Member since 2008 • 9589 Posts

Haha sucks to be you TC, now you must go make us a sammidge.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Stalk her. Then make us sandwiches.
rangegear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rangegear
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts
Man! That sucks.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

If you got the job, she would probably be complaining just like you are, claiming that she is perfectly capable of doing the job.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

Maybe she's a wieght lifter or something. Either that or they are required by law to hire a certain number of female employee's. Whatever the reason, it was probably a good one.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Interesting way to justify you not getting the job. Let me guess, you're the type that also believes immigrants are "stealing" your jobs?

Who's to say she didnt have a better work ethic than you did? Or more relevant experience? No, it HAS to be due to gender "affirmitive action."

Seajack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Seajack
Member since 2011 • 365 Posts
Join the military bro. You'll get to lift plenty ;)
Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
Hurrr, a roommate of mine in Atlanta was trying to get a job at a hotel. The person who turned him down actually said "We really wanted a woman for this job." My roomie then went to the EEOC and got a cash settlement out of the hotel that tided him over until a job came along.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

Interesting way to justify you not getting the job. Let me guess, you're the type that also believes immigrants are "stealing" your jobs?

Who's to say she didnt have a better work ethic than you did? Or more relevant experience? No, it HAS to be due to gender "affirmitive action."

XaosII
Are you ****ing kidding me? The job he described is about lifting ****, how much work experience do you need for that? Next you'll say she was probably more qualified. :lol:
gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
What is this, the 1930's?
flowersjf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 flowersjf
Member since 2008 • 2856 Posts
I would summon the Attack Dogs and have them hunt her down. But that's just me.
Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#14 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts
who uses the words "young male"
Seajack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Seajack
Member since 2011 • 365 Posts

XaosII
Relax. I doubt an 18 year old chick is capable of having a better work ethic in that type of job. It's a good knucklehead job for a young man, I don't think an 18 year old girl would have a lot of quality experience lifting boxes in a warehouse. Let me guess, your that feminist type that takes offense to everything?
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I recommend going all out GTA style if you're going to go down go down in style,
chandlerr_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#17 chandlerr_360
Member since 2006 • 5078 Posts
[QUOTE="XaosII"]

The job is about lifting and moving boxes, and based off what my friends has told me, I am fairly certain I am physically stronger and more capable than she is. Chances are she has the same exact work experience if not less than I do considering her age. Whether she was hired to meet a corporate quota or because of some type of bias, it is pretty lame. And I am no trying to "justify" anything, I'm simply trying to make a point that on average young men are more physically capable at completing a strenuos task than a young women, so why certain positions are open to women is beyond me as far as employee efficiency or what not goes...it makes no sense and is unfair. Infantry and direct combat positions in the military are not open to women for this exact reason, although yes I understand that is a whole different animal.
Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

You cant just let it end like this TC. For you, for all of us, you must fight back. And besides that employers going to be bummed when he finds out you cant lift heavy boxes in a warehouse from the kitchen.

Womens history month joke of the day.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 XaosII

Relax. I doubt an 18 year old chick is capable of having a better work ethic in that type of job. It's a good knucklehead job for a young man, I don't think an 18 year old girl would have a lot of quality experience lifting boxes in a warehouse. Let me guess, your that feminist type that takes offense to everything?Seajack

And you doubt an 18 year old girl would have the capability because? Its unlikely, but it doesnt meant it can't exist. The fact that she displayed it could have been entirely the reason why she was picked considering the usual nature of it.

No, im not a feminist. Not even a woman. But i have been discriminated over my age before in employment situations. Same faulty logic used by the TC.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
How does TC look in the work uniform? Does she look better in it?
shadow13702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shadow13702
Member since 2008 • 1791 Posts

Ok, so recently I have been waiting to hear back from a distribution warehouse that I applied to for a job that my buddy works at, and today he told me that the position I was applying for was taken...and they gave it to a 18 year old girl (I'm 19). Now I am no sexist or anything, but the reason why this absolutely baffles me is that the entire job revolves around lifting, moving, and loading hevy crates/boxes into trucks...100+ lbs...7 hours a day. I am in pretty good shape and I applied to the job specifically because it was the type of manual labor job where you clock in, work, and clock out just like I was wanting.

Empirically I would be able to do the job better than this chick, any average young male would be able to, yet because of the bull**** political tape and regulations they probably hired this girl because of I am out of the job, a perfectly capable young male perfectly suited for the requirments of the job. So now I am forced to go back looking for some crappy dead end retail job or looking back into the military, because I simply refuse to have my parents spend money for a university degree and I refuse to be buried in debt for the rest of my young adult life.

Personal issues aside, does anyone else see instances like this as a serious problem? I mean there are always reports/statistics claiming that young males are more involved in crime and drugs, scoring lowers on tests, and being unemployed, but it seems as if the clearly obvious reasons whyare simply being overlooked. When more than capable young males out of Highschool are forced to compete with less competent young women or older men past their prime and losing out and being held back, how can they be expected NOT to get angry and discouraged?

Sorry if I am coming off as sexist, however I find the lack of opportunities for young guys like me to be a serious issue plagueing the U.S. (and me lol).

chandlerr_360

Maybe she came after she applied and give the boss or whoever is hiring and "persuade" him

J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#22 J-man45
Member since 2008 • 11043 Posts

I honestly do not think that type of job is for her the way you described it.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 XaosII

The job is about lifting and moving boxes, and based off what my friends has told me, I am fairly certain I am physically stronger and more capable than she is. Chances are she has the same exact work experience if not less than I do considering her age.

Whether she was hired to meet a corporate quota or because of some type of bias, it is pretty lame. And I am no trying to "justify" anything, I'm simply trying to make a point that on average young men are more physically capable at completing a strenuos task than a young women, so why certain positions are open to women is beyond me as far as employee efficiency or what not goes...it makes no sense and is unfair. Infantry and direct combat positions in the military are not open to women for this exact reason, although yes I understand that is a whole different animal.chandlerr_360

I'll take your word for your phsyical capabilities.

Maybe she demonstrated that she wanted to job more than you did and she showed up earlier than you and they value punctuality highly. You're immediately jumping to a conclusion thats its their fault and not your own.

There could be plenty of reasons of why she got the job over you that dont involve invoking EEOC. I can think of plenty.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I understand your dilemma. I hold a physically demanding job while attending college, and there is a necessity for strong individuals to be employed there, or work simply wouldn't get done. It sucks for sure that you didn't get the job, and from personal experience, you deserve it if you truly are more capable than her at performing the job duties.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
Suck it up and move on.
GHlegend77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GHlegend77
Member since 2009 • 10328 Posts
didn't read op but going by title, sexism itt
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

It's generally the boss will think "Oh wait, most of our staff are male, i don't want people thinking i'm sexist!" as this can cause issues when people start complaining about sexism and racism in the workplace. Happens everywhere now, people go around specifically to sue others with only money on their mind so your boss is just covering his behind as not to be rude but guys like us are "Just a number" these days. It's plaguing the world not just the US, i've applied for a few jobs for the summer but been declined by three and no reply from i think 4 others, and i can imagine these jobs might be going to the foreigners just so the companies can say "See... we are not racist, come buy our products!".

mahlasor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mahlasor
Member since 2010 • 1278 Posts

[QUOTE="Seajack"] Relax. I doubt an 18 year old chick is capable of having a better work ethic in that type of job. It's a good knucklehead job for a young man, I don't think an 18 year old girl would have a lot of quality experience lifting boxes in a warehouse. Let me guess, your that feminist type that takes offense to everything?XaosII

And you doubt an 18 year old girl would have the capability because? Its unlikely, but it doesnt meant it can't exist. The fact that she displayed it could have been entirely the reason why she was picked considering the usual nature of it.

No, im not a feminist. Not even a woman. But i have been discriminated over my age before in employment situations. Same faulty logic used by the TC.

Umm hate to break your bubble, but he totally out ranks her in the physical area, its innate. Read a biology book. This would make me mad to, it is like there is no logic to the way things work anymore.... So what is the point of bettering yourself if no one cares? I love how emotions, not logic rules the world... And that is what politics are.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XaosII

Umm hate to break your bubble, but he totally out ranks her in the physical area, its innate. Read a biology book. This would make me mad to, it is like there is no logic to the way things work anymore.... So what is the point of bettering yourself if no one cares?

mahlasor

Well, thats the exact kind of attitude i wouldn't want any employee to have if i were an employer.

There are plenty of reasons she could have gotten the job. If you can't see past the "I R STRONG LIKE BULL. I R GOOD WORKER," maybe thats the reason you wouldn't get the job?

zeldaluff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 zeldaluff
Member since 2008 • 3387 Posts

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

[QUOTE="Seajack"] Relax. I doubt an 18 year old chick is capable of having a better work ethic in that type of job. It's a good knucklehead job for a young man, I don't think an 18 year old girl would have a lot of quality experience lifting boxes in a warehouse. Let me guess, your that feminist type that takes offense to everything?mahlasor

Umm hate to break your bubble, but he totally out ranks her in the physical area, its innate. Read a biology book. This would make me mad to, it is like there is no logic to the way things work anymore.... So what is the point of bettering yourself if no one cares?

Without actually knowing what this girl looks like or anything, you can't say he outranks her in the physical area. Generally guys are stronger, but she might be built like the Hulk.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

Well first I'll state that you ACTUALLY didnt lose YOUR job, you lost a competition for A JOB. All you can do is apply somewhere else and move on.

but if I was you, I'd check back with that company in a few weeks. Ask them how the new employee is doing....if she's really not fit for the job, then she might quit after a couple weeks. you never know, they might still hire you later down the road. Companies are often pressured to hire minorities and women to fill quotas. but sometimes it backfires on them and the person they hire is NOT fit of the job and quits. Then they decide to actually hire someone that is appropriate for the position. Thats how I see it.

Ceraby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 Ceraby
Member since 2009 • 3306 Posts

I'm not trying to start anything here, and apologies if this comes off insulting ( not trying to be ) but are you sure the job JUST involves moving boxes? It may also involve taking inventory, talking to different departments, being able tocoordinate correctly, etc...Maybe she was smarter and showed more adaptability to varied situations than you? It may be that the company is also looking for someone to promote in the future and not just someone to move boxes around.

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts

Damn bro, tough **** to swallow there :P

ravenhost91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ravenhost91
Member since 2011 • 167 Posts
i agree, now some other guys going to have to pick up her slack picking up the boxes ect.. women should get jobs in human resources
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
Community college is a good way of starting higher education without paying very much at all (relatively). If you can get a little scholarship or grant, you might actually cover most of your costs. And if you never go beyond an associate's degree, that's still a step up compared to your GED or HS diploma competitors.
Xbot_720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Xbot_720
Member since 2008 • 834 Posts

She's probably attractive, or at least the hiring manager wants to bone her.

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
Suck it up and move on.SF_KiLLaMaN
^this. OP your being more of a girl than the chick that "took" your Job. Man up and Move on. Its not like stacking boxes was gonna get you anywhere in life anyway.
Delkura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Delkura
Member since 2010 • 689 Posts

She probably had to do some riding if you know what I mean. ;)

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
And how long do you think this girl will last doing this job?? Give them two weeks and they'll come crying back at you.
theBeorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 theBeorn
Member since 2003 • 1378 Posts
she probably knows how to do certain "job" better than you.
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2SvLUOJbgk

mywalletsgone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mywalletsgone
Member since 2010 • 1344 Posts

because I simply refuse to have my parents spend money for a university degree and I refuse to be buried in debt for the rest of my young adult life.

chandlerr_360

Nice guys finish last =p

Smart guys don't get into debt.

chandlerr_360

Well I'd go out on a limb here and say that your lack of opportunities are down to a lack of a degree. Just a thought I guess =P

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
You didn't get the job, get over it. Complaining to gamespot is not going to get you that job.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
[QUOTE="chandlerr_360"] The job is about lifting and moving boxes, and based off what my friends has told me, I am fairly certain I am physically stronger and more capable than she is.

You being stronger than her is irrelevent if she is strong enough. [QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"] Are you ****ing kidding me? The job he described is about lifting ****, how much work experience do you need for that?

Good work experiance proves that you actually do what your boss says, turn up on time ect. Even work experiance in a completely different feild strengthens an application.
bebop013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bebop013
Member since 2004 • 4225 Posts
I created a topic about this a while back. my argument was it appears easier for girls to acquire jobs (at least entry level positions) over males. its usually a result of sexual implications/appeal (you can be as politically correct as you want, but this happens) or because the employer worries about the repercussions of not hiring them i.e lawsuits or what have you. my example is when i was job hunting in HS. i can't tell you how many times i went to a store like a gamestop or blockbuster weeks after applying only to see some cute new blonde chick being trained. now i'm not saying: "theres no way these girls were more qualified!". i'm just saying it doesn't take a genius to realized having cute girls behind the counter won't hurt business.
mamelon2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mamelon2012
Member since 2011 • 309 Posts

Stalk her. Then make us sandwiches.JigglyWiggly_

Laughed so hard water came out my nose. Sorry you didnt get the job, and for getting so many not serious responses (most of which are hilarious). However I worked a job like that during a summer in college, and it totally sucked. I worked my ass off stocking 18 wheelers and got paid almost nothing, hopefully the job you were applying for had better pay... So you never know, she might have done you a favor 8)

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

Date her :D

That sucks man, but hey, live continues, just forget about it, wish her good luck and move on, maybe you'll find something else sooner.