Looking for recommendations on shows to watch mid-season

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

Hey, people.

Figured I'd come to the good people of OT for some feedback. I'm curious on looking for a TV series to watch, and being that I've cut the cord some time back, I'm not even sure what's available recently. The last show I watched was Ash vs Evil Dead, which was probably one of the best new shows I've seen in quite some time. Being that it just wrapped its first season, I was wondering what you've guys been watching lately.

Suggestions?

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

The knick

The expanse

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@dave123321 said:

The knick

The expanse

Not familiar with either...what are they about?

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@Iszdope said:

Married...with Children (again).

Already own the box set. Appreciate the thought, though.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@Iszdope said:

The Wire (again).

Pretty much scratch anything from HBO--seen just about all their shows except Game of Thrones. Watched a few episodes, but it just doesn't click with me.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dave123321

Per wikipedia

"The Knick is an American television drama series on Cinemax created by Jack Amiel and Michael Begler, directed by Steven Soderbergh and starring Clive Owen. In New York City in 1900, the Knickerbocker Hospital operates with innovative surgeons, nurses and staff who have to overcome the limitations of the then-current medical understanding and practice, to prevent staggeringly high mortality rates. Dr. John Thackery (partially based on historical figure, William Stewart Halsted[4]), the newly appointed leader of the surgery staff, battles his cocaine and opium addictions with his ambition for medical discovery and his reputation among his peers. Dr. Algernon Edwards, a Harvard-educated, European-trained black surgeon (probably based on the historical Daniel Hale Williams and Louis T. Wright),[5] must fight for respect within the all-white populated hospital, as well as the racially-charged city. While struggling to keep the lights on, the hospital attempts to attract a wealthy clientele, without sacrificing quality care."

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dave123321

Per wikipedia

"The Expanse is an American space opera / mystery science fiction drama television series on Syfy, based on the series of novels by James S. A. Corey. Set in a future where humanity has colonized the Solar System, it follows police detective Miller (Thomas Jane), ship's officer Jim Holden (Steven Strait), and his crew as they unravel a conspiracy that threatens peace across the System and the survival of humanity"

The Expanse is currently in the middle of its first season

The knick has just completed its 2nd season

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@Iszdope said:
@hallenbeck77 said:
@Iszdope said:

The Wire (again).

Pretty much scratch anything from HBO--seen just about all their shows except Game of Thrones. Watched a few episodes, but it just doesn't click with me.

Get out.

Edit: wait...you talking about The Wire or Game of Thrones?

Game of Thrones. The Wire was a great show. As far as GoT, I understand the appeal it has for some, but dragons, knights, etc was an aspect of the fantasy genre that just never did it for me.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@dave123321 said:

Per wikipedia

"The Expanse is an American space opera / mystery science fiction drama television series on Syfy, based on the series of novels by James S. A. Corey. Set in a future where humanity has colonized the Solar System, it follows police detective Miller (Thomas Jane), ship's officer Jim Holden (Steven Strait), and his crew as they unravel a conspiracy that threatens peace across the System and the survival of humanity"

The Expanse is currently in the middle of its first season

The knick has just completed 2 seasons

I'll have to look into both shows. Amazon Prime already has some programming from Cinemax, I believe. And it's always good to see Thomas Jane working--I'm probably one of the few people who liked him in the 2004 version of The Punisher. Thanks for the recommendations.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

No idea about current American T.V shows :(

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts
  • The Walking Dead [season 5 current]
  • The Expanse on Sy-Fy
  • American Crime Story: The People vs O.J Simpson [Airs Tuesday, February 2 on FX]
  • Heroes: Reborn
  • Mythbusters [The final season is already started]

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@davillain- said:
  • The Walking Dead [season 5 current]
  • The Expanse on Sy-Fy
  • American Crime Story: The People vs O.J Simpson [Airs Tuesday, February 2 on FX]
  • Heroes: Reborn
  • Mythbusters [The final season is already started]

1. I've YET to still watch an episode of The Walking Dead. I think it's zombie overexposure that's kept me from seeing it.

2. Already marked The Expanse as a show to watch.

3. Won't watch because: A. I was pissed in the '90s when they pre-empted episodes of Batman: The Animated Series to cover the O.J. trial, and...B. Ryan Murphy is an overrated, overexposed hack of a writer who can't come up with a coherent story to save his life, never mind an entertaining one--American Horror Story is evidence of that.

4. Heroes is a thing again?! Didn't even know they brought it back. The question is "Why?"

5. No beef with Mythbusters. Decent show.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#18 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

I watched 11 seasons of Criminal Minds recently.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

I don't watch cable so don't know what's currently mid season, that being said I'm currently watching (or just finished) these series:

-Making of a Murderer

-F is for Family (animated comedy similar to Married with Children with Bill Burr as main character)

-Narcos (excellent)

-Hemlock Grove (decent, can be slightly corny at times though)

-Trailer Park Boys (technically on my 2nd or 3rd full series run through lol)

-Man in the High Castle (can't recommend enough)

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#20 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

I hear good things about The Expanse and Mr Robot, however.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Better Call Saul / Breaking Bad

X-files (and by the way Season 10 begins on January 24th after a 13 year hiatus!). Oh, and by the way if you want to instantly see what x-files is all about, check out the first movie, then watch the entirety of Season 6 (which continues from the movie) , a season which pretty much has everything the X-Files is about.

If you do watch The Walking Dead, watch season 1, then skip to seasons 4 and 5. Season 6 has so far been the best season.

iloveatlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 iloveatlus
Member since 2009 • 599 Posts
Loading Video...

humans

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@AFBrat77: I'm eagerly awaiting season 2 of Saul--from what I heard, season one is supposed to be on Netflix about two weeks before AMC premieres the new season. Have the complete series on Blu ray, got it as a gift.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

Some pretty interesting choices--now I gotta see how I can watch some of them.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

@hallenbeck77 said:
@Iszdope said:

The Wire (again).

What is wrong with you? HBO has some real quality shows. BoB, Deadwood, Rome, Generation Kill etc.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dave123321

@bmanva: he's just saying he's real aquainted with their programming already

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Jessica Jones.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23032 Posts

@AFBrat77 said:

X-files

Yup! Only a few weeks away!

If you haven't seen it already and are looking for something waaaaaay different, check out Pushing Daisies. It's a little older, but it's excellent and the time investment is small.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@dave123321: Right on the nose. Watched the majority of their shows before I cut the cord, and the handful of items I didn't are shows I don't care for (Girls, GoT, The Newsroom.)

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - It will make you believe in eugenics. Funny and random.

Firefly - Cowboys in Space. A cult classic with lovable characters.

14: Diaries of the Great War - A TV series dedicated to the lives of 14 people - soldiers, children, wartime volunteers, and medics - who all fought in World War I. The show is a combination of live action and documentary footage that go seamlessly together. If you like history and learning more about World War I, watch it.

Freaks and Geeks - A surprisingly good high school teen drama show

Avatar: The Last Airbender - A good animated show about characters you will like

Legend of Korra - Another good animated show that follows its predecessor (Avatar: TLA). The stories are better. The characters, however, are debatable depending on who you ask.

Generation Kill - Based on a Marine Recon battalion during the beginning of the 2003 Iraq Invasion. Not a show glorifying war or violence (in fact, not a lot of violence to be shown) but a show about the bullshit of wartime, dealing with higher ups and the obscurity of war.

Narcos - About a guy named Pablo Escobar who works hard but the man keeps him down.

Danger Five - Watch it. And kill Hitler!

Those are my recommendations so far. All are amazing shows but I highly recommend 14: Diaries of the Great War.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

I also heard the new season of Homeland was phenomenal...an excellent show in any event, as is its Showtime compadre Ray Donovan.

....and back to the X-Files, I also mentioned season 6 because Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan has a big hand in that season, and it features the episode that brought he and Cranston together for the first time, not to mention several episodes featured Michael Mckean, who plays Sauls brother Chuck on Better Call Saul.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@AFBrat77 said:

I also heard the new season of Homeland was phenomenal...an excellent show in any event, as is its Showtime compadre Ray Donovan.

....and back to the X-Files, I also mentioned season 6 because Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan has a big hand in that season, and it features the episode that brought he and Cranston together for the first time, not to mention several episodes featured Michael Mckean, who plays Sauls brother Chuck on Better Call Saul.

I heard he was a writer for the X-Files prior to Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul.

You know, some of these shows are ones I've missed on during their initial runs--X-Files included.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@Allicrombie said:

I hear good things about The Expanse and Mr Robot, however.

I heard Mr. Robot was a good show as well, but it looks like I'll have to wait for it to pop up on Amazon Prime this spring.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Fell in love with Mr Robot. An accurate depiction of the modern corporate world of America and it's very symbolic to a lot of real events.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#35 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58954 Posts

Enjoyed The Last Kingdom, even though it rushed the ending, the main body of first season was good.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

I need me a list too. I finished watching the Season 2 of Fargo, that was off da hook. Never saw season 1. Besides that i recently started watching Dr. Ken, so far its pretty funny, trying to adjust to it.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 bmanva
@hallenbeck77 said:

@dave123321: Right on the nose. Watched the majority of their shows before I cut the cord, and the handful of items I didn't are shows I don't care for (Girls, GoT, The Newsroom.)

All I have to say is that you have strange taste. What shows DO you like to watch?

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38  Edited By ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

Blindspot (NBC) was probably my favorite new show of the fall and it's currently on break. It's definitely a new and interesting crime drama. The Expanse has also been good. Shannara Chronicles (MTV, yes I know) actually had pretty decent premiere episodes which you can currently watch on Youtube.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@bmanva: I watch a little bit of everything, although it was mostly cable or streaming programing--I don't watch network programming too often (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX). A lot of the more popular shows out there I either miss out on during their initial runs because I'm usually too busy , or just can't get into (I got a lot of strange looks from people when I told them I never watched certain shows willingly, like Friends). The only recent show I've made an active effort to watch when it premiered every week was Ash vs Evil Dead--probably one of the most fun shows to watch so this TV season so far. Definitely worth watching, especially if you're a fan of the Evil Dead trilogy.

As far as the three more popular shows on HBO I mentioned that I didn't watch, I don't watch Girls because all the characters come off as whiny, narcissistic, and unlikable...worst of all, it's not funny, and it's supposed to be a comedy. Game of Thrones I'm just not into--it looks well made, but I'm not big on the fantasy genre. And I couldn't make it past The Newsroom without falling asleep repeatedly.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#40 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I enjoyed Doctor Who on Christmas day. It was my first experience of watching an episode from start to finish. I watched three that day.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By bmanva

@hallenbeck77: Ok, but you didn't really answer the question other than repeat what was said before. There's no other shows you like other than Ash vs Evil Dead? Honestly I'm genuinely curious about your taste. If there's no others, then maybe you simply just don't like shows in episodic format?

Also GoT is not high fantasy, especially the earlier seasons. It's more medieval drama more than anything.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

I recently binged watched Brooklyn Nine-nine and really enjoyed that.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Man in the High Castle is Amazing.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@bmanva: I don't really watch a whole lot of tv, so a good chunk of what I DO watch is older shows that most people have already seen--I'm pretty out of touch like that. But right off the top of my head:

It's Always Sunny, House M.D, Rick and Morty, Archer, Burn Notice, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Boardwalk Empire, and the Marvel shows on Netflix.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 bmanva

@hallenbeck77: You know Boardwalk Empire is HBO right? There are several other show like it as well. Check out Sopranos, Deadwood and Rome. If you like comedies check out curb your enthusiasm (Larry David, one of the guys who made Seinfeld) and Eastbound and Down.

Outside of that based on your list you should check out Agents of Shields which is in the same MCU as the movies and the shows on Netflix. Also Blacklist.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@bmanva: I know--Boardwalk Empire was the last show I watched before pulling the plug on my cable altogether. Once it ended, I ditched it all. Got too expensive to keep considering I don't have the time to watch due to work, and I don't think the cable companies are going to offer channels Ala carte anytime soon. Made note of the suggestions and will check them out on Amazon Prime if they got them. They still offer some of the older HBO shows on their service, gotta see what's still up there. Been meaning to actually watch Eastbound and Down when I still had it, but it slipped my mind.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bmanva

@hallenbeck77: You know HBO has a subscription stream service now called HBO Now? It's bit more than Netflix or Hulu ($14.99 IIRC) but has all of their shows and some newer movies. I'm digging it so far.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Hallenbeck77  Moderator

@bmanva: I'll look into it. Thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#49 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@hallenbeck77: If you're up for some laughs, then I'd say Archer and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - their new seasons are supposed to be starting soon. (I'd watch them if I had cable.)

Someone made a good mention with Mythbusters. Sometime after the series ends, the old episodes will be moved to Science Network, so they might not air on Discovery as they have for years. It will be weird to not have new episodes of that show to look forward to as we have for such a long time now.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bmanva

@hallenbeck77: No problem. Hope you find a good show to occupy your time.