This topic is locked from further discussion.

gamer1049

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 gamer1049
Member since 2006 • 566 Posts
any Linux users here?
Avatar image for SmashBrosLegend
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SmashBrosLegend
Member since 2006 • 11344 Posts
Yeah. Why do you ask?
gamer1049

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gamer1049

Yeah. Why do you ask?SmashBrosLegend

just wondering

Avatar image for Raged-wolverine
Raged-wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Raged-wolverine
Member since 2005 • 6075 Posts

[QUOTE="SmashBrosLegend"]Yeah. Why do you ask?gamer1049

just wondering

need any help with linux commands...:P

gamer1049

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamer1049
nope.
pspdseagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pspdseagle
Member since 2007 • 3307 Posts
Is Linux any good!
borris_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 borris_1
Member since 2003 • 7181 Posts
I used some distros for a while, and generally found it to be a little less useful than windows. It's fine to be free, organised and stable, but what good is that if you're not compatible with 95% of the market?
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SmashBrosLegend
I used some distro for a while, and generally found it to be a little less useful than windows. It's fine to be free, organised and stable, but what good is that if you're not compatible with 95% of the market?borris_1
WINE will run a lot of Windows programs on Linux. And with Ubuntu, you get a whole bunch of programs for free that work as well as or even better than their Windows counterparts. Having used Mac OSX, Windows XP, and Ubuntu, I'd say that Ubuntu is more useful and functional for everything except gaming.
borris_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 borris_1

[QUOTE="borris_1"]I used some distro for a while, and generally found it to be a little less useful than windows. It's fine to be free, organised and stable, but what good is that if you're not compatible with 95% of the market?SmashBrosLegend
WINE will run a lot of Windows programs on Linux. And with Ubuntu, you get a whole bunch of programs for free that work as well as or even better than their Windows counterparts. Having used Mac OSX, Windows XP, and Ubuntu, I'd say that Ubuntu is more useful and functional for everything except gaming.

WINE, in my experience, does have its issues. I was impressed, however, when I got Mountain of Faith to work on it. The other side of the argument, of course, is that in Windows, you could just install it, and not have to dive through the WINE hoop.

Ubuntu's free programs are great, no doubt. I did consider switching. But every now and then, I just want to do one thing in Ubuntu which requires lengthy paths.

In Windows, after using it since 98, I've gotten used to it (as I'm sure, you have also.) I find it very difficult to make a mistake in Windows now, and where one does occure, it's usually quite easy to fix. After service pack 2, XP is tip-tip.

Merkaba-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Merkaba-
Member since 2008 • 367 Posts
I'll immediately switch to Linux forever as soon as it supports DX10.
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SmashBrosLegend

[QUOTE="SmashBrosLegend"][QUOTE="borris_1"]I used some distro for a while, and generally found it to be a little less useful than windows. It's fine to be free, organised and stable, but what good is that if you're not compatible with 95% of the market?borris_1

WINE, in my experience, does have its issues. I was impressed, however, when I got Mountain of Faith to work on it. The other side of the argument, of course, is that in Windows, you could just install it, and not have to dive through the WINE hoop.

Ubuntu's free programs are great, no doubt. I did consider switching. But every now and then, I just want to do one thing in Ubuntu which requires lengthy paths.

In Windows, after using it since 98, I've gotten used to it (as I'm sure, you have also.) I find it very difficult to make a mistake in Windows now, and where one does occur, it's usually quite easy to fix. After service pack 2, XP is tip-tip.

I still run XP on my laptop, and it's definitely a great OS. But the efficiency of Ubuntu is just awesome when you finally get everything down.
borris_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 borris_1
[QUOTE="borris_1"]

[QUOTE="SmashBrosLegend"][QUOTE="borris_1"]I used some distro for a while, and generally found it to be a little less useful than windows. It's fine to be free, organised and stable, but what good is that if you're not compatible with 95% of the market?SmashBrosLegend

In Windows, after using it since 98, I've gotten used to it (as I'm sure, you have also.) I find it very difficult to make a mistake in Windows now, and where one does occur, it's usually quite easy to fix. After service pack 2, XP is tip-tip.

I still run XP on my laptop, and it's definitely a great OS. But the efficiency of Ubuntu is just awesome when you finally get everything down.

Oh, absolutely. Moreover, I actually find it quite fun working with a new OS. Hell, I'll probably end up slamming my Ubuntu disk in in a few weeks. But, alas, I was never able to get Ubuntu working at what, I imagine, is 100% capacity.

erikgergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 erikgergal
Member since 2006 • 902 Posts
ya i use linux but im very frustrated with it. i have about 95% of it working...the only problem is that i cant get sound, ive tried everything on the ubuntu forums and still no luck(damn 64-bit version...why did i have to get you). i was just thinking of uninstalling it just for the simplicity of windows
SmashBrosLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SmashBrosLegend
ya i use linux but im very frustrated with it. i have about 95% of it working...the only problem is that i cant get sound, ive tried everything on the ubuntu forums and still no luck(damn 64-bit version...why did i have to get you). i was just thinking of uninstalling it just for the simplicity of windowserikgergal
Just reinstall 32-bit Gutsy Gibbon.
erikgergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 erikgergal
Member since 2006 • 902 Posts

[QUOTE="erikgergal"]ya i use linux but im very frustrated with it. i have about 95% of it working...the only problem is that i cant get sound, ive tried everything on the ubuntu forums and still no luck(damn 64-bit version...why did i have to get you). i was just thinking of uninstalling it just for the simplicity of windowsSmashBrosLegend

can i reinstall it over the 64-bit partition or do i have to repartition everything?

gamer1049

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gamer1049
ya i use linux but im very frustrated with it. i have about 95% of it working...the only problem is that i cant get sound, ive tried everything on the ubuntu forums and still no luck(damn 64-bit version...why did i have to get you). i was just thinking of uninstalling it just for the simplicity of windowserikgergal
what probs are u having with the sound?
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

[QUOTE="SmashBrosLegend"][QUOTE="erikgergal"]ya i use linux but im very frustrated with it. i have about 95% of it working...the only problem is that i cant get sound, ive tried everything on the ubuntu forums and still no luck(damn 64-bit version...why did i have to get you). i was just thinking of uninstalling it just for the simplicity of windowserikgergal

can i reinstall it over the 64-bit partition or do i have to repartition everything?

Yeah, everything will already be formatted properly. Just reinstall over that partition and assign the same swap partition to the new installation. No need to re-partition anything.

tsduv21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tsduv21
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts
I use Linux. Not great with it though.