Libertarianism is the only political view which makes any sense.

• 184 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sboyer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sboyer2
Member since 2010 • 941 Posts

Libertarianism:

The political party that believes that the government should only be responsible for protecting citizen's physical property, including their lives.

Everything else is up to the individual and their personal desires/choides, including abortion, gun rights, drug use, gay marriage, charity, censorship

Under a Libertarian governement, none of the above would be regulated nor prohibited, and the companies that would provide those services would be privatized, so that people could enjoy the best services at the lowest prices because companies would want to supply it, since the government wouldn't be funding or supporting them.

In other words, everything is based on the truth and accountability of the individual.

Why wouldn't society want this? Democrats and Republicans are too focused on benefitting themselves and other agendas....

Libertarianism is only party which actually believes in true freedom...which our country is supposedly based on.

Thoughts?

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

Libertarianism:

The political party that believes that the government should only be responsible for protecting citizen's physical property, including their lives.

Everything else is up to the individual and their personal desires/choides, including abortion, gun rights, drug use, gay marriage, charity.

Under a Libertarian governement, none of the above would be regulated nor prohibited, and the companies that would provide those services would be privatized, so that people could enjoy the best services at the lowest prices because companies would want to supply it, since the government wouldn't be funding or supporting them.

In other words, everything is based on the truth and accountability of the individual.

Why wouldn't society want this? Democrats and Republicans are too focused on benefitting themselves and encroaches on citizens rights for no reason other than their gain.

Libertarianism seems like it eliminates most aspects of political corruption and in a country where we pride ourselves on "freedom" it finally gives us real freedom.

Thoughts?

sboyer2

yeah ever since I started looking into the Libertarian party I like what I see more and more. here in Canada I don't think we have that party but I might just check it out and see if we do.

Xx_Hopeless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Xx_Hopeless_xX
Member since 2009 • 16562 Posts

Libertarianism:

Everything else is up to the individual and their personal desires/choides, including abortion, gun rights, drug use, gay marriage, charity, censorship

Why wouldn't society want this? Democrats and Republicans are too focused on benefitting themselves and other agendas....

Libertarianism is only party which actually believes in true freedom...which our country is supposedly based on.

Thoughts?

sboyer2

Relying on individuals...sorry that will never work..

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

Capitalism is the only place where you can get rich from being more heartless than a serial killer. Companies need to be kept in line. But the individual should have freedom.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
It does need an extra regulatory section to make sure safety regulations are upheld and companies tell the truth however other than that i'ld say it's the best political system. However i wouldn't say it's the only one that makes sense in practise as in practise all politics seems to be idiotic no matter which party is in charge.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 23050 Posts
The Libertarians that have come up for election have been in favor of getting rid of all government regulation - including anti-trust laws.

No thanks.
IWKYB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 IWKYB
Member since 2010 • 1545 Posts
The Libertarians that have come up for election have been in favor of getting rid of all government regulation - including anti-trust laws.

No thanks.mattbbpl
Yep the new fascists are libertarians.
carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

No thanks.mattbbpl

But don't you want to buy everything from the same company which sets the prices unreasonably high, thus taking control over our lives?

D_Battery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 D_Battery
Member since 2009 • 2478 Posts
If you believe maximal liberty within the eyes of the law is the means to the greatest possible human flourishing, sure. I don't though.
Ingenemployee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ingenemployee
Member since 2007 • 2307 Posts

Eh, no thanks. I feel that the government is a little to libertarian as is with it's lax regulations.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

I don't think so.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Theokhoth
Member since 2008 • 36799 Posts
I extremely highly disagree.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#13 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I remember I had a brief time a while back in college when I flirted with libertarianism because it all sounds well and good on paper... then I thought better of it when I got better acquainted with reality... :P

The invisible hand of the market is all well and good until you get into a situation in which market failure - the inability of individuals acting in their own interest to arrive at the most optimal situation for all parties - is an inevitability. And contrary to the often-made assertion of libertarians, market failure does happen.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Theokhoth

I remember I had a brief time a while back in college when I flirted with libertarianism because it all sounds well and good on paper... then I thought better of it when I got better acquainted with reality... :P

The invisible hand of the market is all well and good until you get into a situation in which market failure - the inability of individuals acting in their own interest to arrive at the most optimal situation for all parties - is an inevitability. And contrary to the often-made assertion of libertarians, market failure does happen.

GabuEx
Balderdash, I say! There's never been a time in history when market failure has been demonstrated to occur. And the 1930's never happened, so don't even bring that song and dance up!
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#15 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Balderdash, I say! There's never been a time in history when market failure has been demonstrated to occur. And the 1930's never happened, so don't even bring that song and dance up!Theokhoth

I've brought up the Great Depression with anarcho-capitalists before; the answer I always get back is that, somehow, it was still the fault of too much government regulation, and that if only the government had interfered even less, everything would've been fine.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11790 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Theokhoth

Balderdash, I say! There's never been a time in history when market failure has been demonstrated to occur. And the 1930's never happened, so don't even bring that song and dance up!

The market, this is such a mystified concept.

what? don't you understand the entire monetary system is temporary, we need an entire global overhaul of society (if we want a prolonged, stable world to live in) The system we have now is evidently becoming obsolete.

In essence we are running the country(and much of the world) on a machine that is really starting to show its age, and has become beneficial only to a select few, Its time we evolve it.

lyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lyeti
Member since 2009 • 554 Posts

Anarchism always fails. In the best situations anarchism evolves into a good governing system, or keeps an easily abused status Quo.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
Sounds good. Where do i sign?
Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
No thanks.
smc91352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 smc91352
Member since 2009 • 7786 Posts
read the first 2 lines and already I don't like it...
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 23050 Posts

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"]The Libertarians that have come up for election have been in favor of getting rid of all government regulation - including anti-trust laws.

No thanks.carrot-cake

But don't you want to buy everything from the same company which sets the prices unreasonably high, thus taking control over our lives?

Hahaha... Definitely not. The whole point of a competitive market is so that no one has that kind of power - neither the government nor a private party. If you begin to legally allow things like monopolies and collusion the entire point of a free market is voided.

Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
Yeah, because sociological affairs won't affect a society :roll:
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
Libertarianism is convenient, thats why you like it so much. Convenient=/=Right.
Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
I've actually been recently coming to the conclusion that I just might be a Libertarian. I'm not sure though. I've been all over the place lately with my beliefs.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

[QUOTE="mattbbpl"]The Libertarians that have come up for election have been in favor of getting rid of all government regulation - including anti-trust laws.

No thanks.IWKYB

Yep the new fascists are libertarians.

You sir created a contradiction. :)

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Anarchism always fails. In the best situations anarchism evolves into a good governing system, or keeps an easily abused status Quo.

lyeti

Libertarianism requires a government that protects the rights of its people, mantain an army, and etc. Anarchism doesn't. :|

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
The way I see politics is a lot like parenting. Liberals are like the parents that allows children to run wild but spoils their children by giving them money. Libertarians allow their children to run wild, but let them earn their money as well. Conservatives discipline their children by enforcing their moral beliefs upon them, but let them earn their money as well. To me, the best option is conservatism because it doesn't spoil the child and it doesn't let them run wild, the best option of the three. I like libertarianism a lot, but socially, they seem to be for the freedom of the country's foreign enemies, women who do not an abortion but want one anyway, and people who want to smoke their lives away.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="lyeti"]

leviathan91

Libertarianism requires a government that protects the rights of its people, mantain an army, and etc. Anarchism doesn't. :|

Of course, the problem is when you start trying to define what the rights of the people are, and what constitutes protecting them. Suddenly, bam! You either have very few rights or you have a fairly large government designed to protect the rights you have--the antithesis of libertarianism. Or, you have a flimsy and easily loopholed list of rights that are basically meaningless and thus you have anarchy. "Protect our rights and property" is a great soundbite, but when you start really thinking about it (What are rights, how do you determine what these rights are, do we all agree on these rights, how do you protect these rights, are there any exceptions where it is justifiable to violate these rights, what are the criteria for these exceptions, and the it goes on and on and on), you see that libertarianism falls completely short on its goal. The idea of a "small government" is an appealing idea until you start considering what the government is there for and how you come to that conclusion; then Libertarianism becomes a self-contradicting idea that does not stand to critical consideration. In the end, because of these reasons, libertarianism can only lead in one of two directions: Totalitarianism or Anarchy, and Anarchy inevitably leads to totalitarianism.
CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts

sboyer2

I lol'd. If only humans could understand that concept.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
The problem with libertarianism is that they don't take into account that the political power can be replaced by an equally fascist economical power. Which is basically what happens.
Avatar image for moonlightcharm6
moonlightcharm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 moonlightcharm6
Member since 2009 • 1581 Posts
i don't know a lot of things would go wrong. people are not all good some all they want is money and don't care who they have to step on to get there.
QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 QuistisTrepe_
Member since 2010 • 4121 Posts

Libertarianism:

Thoughts?

sboyer2

vince-shamwow-picture.jpg image by LTDEDRACING

This is just backwards to me. America had a government like that once under the Articles of Confederation and it flopped. Generally I find that Libertarians are good at telling you what they're against but don't seem to stand for anything. Libertarianism just isn't practical in terms of a functioning society.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

sboyer2

I would think if we've learned anything from history it's that people are... you know. (Language warning)

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="sboyer2"]

Libertarianism:

Thoughts?

QuistisTrepe_

vince-shamwow-picture.jpg image by LTDEDRACING

This is just backwards to me. America had a government like that once under the Articles of Confederation and it flopped. Generally I find that Libertarians are good at telling you what they're against but don't seem to stand for anything. Libertarianism just isn't practical in terms of a functioning society.

Again, with the Ayn Rand quote in your sig, I am sitting here wondering if I have gone insane. That's twice in two days. Stop hurting my sanity.

lyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lyeti
Member since 2009 • 554 Posts

[QUOTE="lyeti"]

leviathan91

Libertarianism is made on the principles than an unregulated society and lax laws (business, gun law, etc,) would make the country better. It believes that individuals are good enough/intelligent enough/calm enough to co-exist peacefully with(in) society: the same as anarchy even though it is obviously utterly impossible in a realistic setting. It seeks to get rid of government corruption and failures, yet the only thing you're going to get rid of is parking tickets (even though they serve a vital purpose,) and other things which normal people consider "minor" but which are usually quite important to make society work the way it is.

So you will stop governments from doing petty laws, yet the main areas of government are welfare, healthcare, maintenance, utilities, development, planning, military and law. Which will all remain in their current form or in a slightly watered down form but the corruption and failures that the government had before libertarians would still be there. Libertarians are like anarchists, communists or fascists: good idea, f**ks up big-time in real life. Libertarianism promises the bests of anarchism (individuality) with the structure and organisation of current governments, yet conveniently ignores the fact that all it will do is change a lot of the small stuff, A.K.A: make it worse and be more lax on the big problems, which would make them worse as well.

In any case libertarian future is never going to happen, thanks to the conservatives (they do serve many purposes.) Conservatives are the most stable political leadership, but often they are too slow compared to the rate of change in the real world. The liberals can be a lot better than conservatives but they are also full of ideas which do not fit reality and usually fail. So I guess the libertarians aren't doing anything different than other political parties, but the libertarian ideals are clearer and as such the public can see that its going to fail.

T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts

Thoughts?sboyer2

It seems like you're too focused on promoting your ideology and not fairly evaluating the ideological and partisan grounds of others.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 QuistisTrepe_

Again, with the Ayn Rand quote in your sig, I am sitting here wondering if I have gone insane. That's twice in two days. Stop hurting my sanity.

Theokhoth

You're making a lot of assumptions. Libertarianism =/= Objectivism.

T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 T_P_O
I've actually been recently coming to the conclusion that I just might be a Libertarian. I'm not sure though. I've been all over the place lately with my beliefs.t3hrubikscube
Join the club, I've been haywire with my political philosophy for the last month or so.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

Libertarianism:

Everything else is up to the individual and their personal desires/choides, including abortion, gun rights, drug use, gay marriage, charity, censorshipsboyer2

What a lovely idea! So I get to set up a government, and my only mandates are to protect individuals lives and property? I can probably create a government so small it makes the United States government look tiny by comparison! Sounds easy right?

Well no, those are two of the most complicated things to protect. Apart from obvious jobs like defence, policing and a legal system, there is an insane amount of governance done to make sure people are kept safe, and their possessions kept safe.

Think, for example, of agencies like the FDA, which is designed to protect public health and ensure the quality of food, or the massive US Department of Transportation, which ensures that all US citizens are provided the safest transportation systems possible.

Or even something like the US SEC, which is designed to catch fraud and malfeasance which would cheat citizens out of their currency and property? Libertarianism is a very nice idea on paper, but it just isn't practical.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="leviathan91"]

[QUOTE="lyeti"]

Theokhoth

Of course, the problem is when you start trying to define what the rights of the people are, and what constitutes protecting them. Suddenly, bam! You either have very few rights or you have a fairly large government designed to protect the rights you have--the antithesis of libertarianism. Or, you have a flimsy and easily loopholed list of rights that are basically meaningless and thus you have anarchy. "Protect our rights and property" is a great soundbite, but when you start really thinking about it (What are rights, how do you determine what these rights are, do we all agree on these rights, how do you protect these rights, are there any exceptions where it is justifiable to violate these rights, what are the criteria for these exceptions, and the it goes on and on and on), you see that libertarianism falls completely short on its goal. The idea of a "small government" is an appealing idea until you start considering what the government is there for and how you come to that conclusion; then Libertarianism becomes a self-contradicting idea that does not stand to critical consideration. In the end, because of these reasons, libertarianism can only lead in one of two directions: Totalitarianism or Anarchy, and Anarchy inevitably leads to totalitarianism.

Kind of over-simplified. Arguing for more limited government is not at all an advocation of no government. While libertarians may view the role that government should play in sociey to be more limited than what you agree with, it doesn't make the existence of government self contradictory with libertarianism. It just happens to strike a different balance than you prefer. Many libertarians realize what government is there for. Much of what the government does is what libertarians typically consider to be unnecessary and harmful. A large government, at least to the extent which is currently the case in the U.S. is not necessary to protect the rights of the people. Libertarians argue that the government could be significantly smaller while equally protecting the rights and property of the people by removing rather large amounts of government activity that do neither. In summation, your post is baseless as it assumes that government needs to be large in order to perform the functions that it should.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 coolbeans90

I in fact do prefer libertarian policies generally. I find most of their political arguments tend to be very logically sound, and tend to be pragmatically beneficial to society. Ayn Rand kinda ****es me off for some reason though.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

QuistisTrepe_

Objectivism was the Mother of modern libertarianism. The entire libertarian movement can be summed up with Atlas Shrugged. There is very, very little difference in the two philosophies.
T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 T_P_O

I in fact do prefer libertarian policies generally. I find most of their political arguments tend to be very logically sound, and tend to be pragmatically beneficial to society. Ayn Rand kinda ****es me off for some reason though.

coolbeans90
Eh, Ayn Rand wasn't really a friend to libertarianism. She'd never take the label. Whether that's a good or bad thing, I couldn't tell you.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 coolbeans90

The problem with libertarianism is that they don't take into account that the political power can be replaced by an equally fascist economical power. Which is basically what happens.kuraimen

Not really. The ONLY case where that happens is in industries with very high barriers to entry in the market.

Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="leviathan91"]

coolbeans90

Kind of over-simplified. Arguing for more limited government is not at all an advocation of no government. While libertarians may view the role that government should play in sociey to be more limited than what you agree with, it doesn't make the existence of government self contradictory with libertarianism.

You misread me. I said that when you start trying to define and lay out the rights of the people, and what constitutes protection of those rights, then if you're consistent with your own philosophy then a libertarian government will have to be fairly large in order to protect the rights laid out--thus, big government, the opposite of libertarianism.

It just happens to strike a different balance than you prefer. Many libertarians realize what government is there for.

I don't think they do.

Much of what the government does is what libertarians typically consider to be unnecessary and harmful.

Hence why I don't think libertarians are aware of what the government is there for.

A large government, at least to the extent which is currently the case in the U.S. is not necessary to protect the rights of the people.

I disagree.

Libertarians argue that the government could be significantly smaller while equally protecting the rights and property of the people by removing rather large amounts of government activity that do neither. In summation, your post is baseless as it assumes that government needs to be large in order to perform the functions that it should.

If the government's purpose is to protect rights, then the government needs to have power in order to secure those rights for the people, unless the people have few rights to begin with, or unless it is NOT the government's purpose to protect rights.

QuistisTrepe_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 QuistisTrepe_

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

Objectivism was the Mother of modern libertarianism. The entire libertarian movement can be summed up with Atlas Shrugged. There is very, very little difference in the two philosophies.

You really don't know what you're talking about.:|

http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pagename=education_campus_libertarians

Q:Libertarians advocate the politics you advocate. So why are you opposed to the Libertarian Party? [FHF: "Egalitarianism and Inflation," 1974]

AR:They are not defenders of capitalism. They're a group of publicity seekers who rush into politics prematurely, because they allegedly want to educate people through a political campaign, which can't be done. Further, their leadership consists of men of every of persuasion, from religious conservatives to anarchists. Moreover, most of them are my enemies: they spend their time denouncing me, while plagiarizing my ideas. Now, I think it's a bad beginning for an allegedly pro-capitalist party to start by stealing ideas.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

T_P_O

Eh, Ayn Rand wasn't really a friend to libertarianism. She'd never take the label. Whether that's a good or bad thing, I couldn't tell you.

Eh, she struck me as overly dogmatic, not at all pragmatic. Those types bother me.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"]

Theokhoth

Unfortunately, she had a great influence on modern libertarianism. It is true.

T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 T_P_O

[QUOTE="T_P_O"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

coolbeans90

Eh, she struck me as overly dogmatic, not at all pragmatic. Those types bother me.

I understand you, I was just saying that Rand herself would probably go crazy if someone branded her work as "libertarian". I don't like Ayn Rand personally, not my type of philosophy, I prefer analytical.
Theokhoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Theokhoth

[QUOTE="Theokhoth"][QUOTE="QuistisTrepe_"]

QuistisTrepe_

You really don't know what you're talking about.:|

http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pagename=education_campus_libertarians

Q:Libertarians advocate the politics you advocate. So why are you opposed to the Libertarian Party? [FHF: "Egalitarianism and Inflation," 1974]

AR:They are not defenders of capitalism. They're a group of publicity seekers who rush into politics prematurely, because they allegedly want to educate people through a political campaign, which can't be done. Further, their leadership consists of men of every of persuasion, from religious conservatives to anarchists. Moreover, most of them are my enemies: they spend their time denouncing me, while plagiarizing my ideas. Now, I think it's a bad beginning for an allegedly pro-capitalist party to start by stealing ideas.

That's not a difference in policy, but a difference in technique. :| I know quite well what I'm talking about. :| It even says in that quote--twice--that their ideas are essentially the same. They go about it in different ways.