Know any martial arts or weapon disciplines?

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 WolfGrey
Member since 2004 • 3799 Posts

I have studied TaeKwonDo, Judo, Karate, and Bushido(katana discipline). Have my own real katana that i practice with everyday. Anyone else study?

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I know the arts of Ju-Pulltrigger. Does that count?

Neon-Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 Neon-Tiger
Member since 2008 • 7683 Posts
I know some basic drunk fighting, kickballs and I'm good at sprinting.
WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 WolfGrey

I know some basic drunk fighting, kickballs and I'm good at sprinting.Neon-Tiger

LOL made my day.

Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts

I started doing karate 3 months ago. I'm currently a yellow belt, and I really enjoy it.

WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WolfGrey

I started doing karate 3 months ago. I'm currently a yellow belt, and I really enjoy it.

bangell99

Good to hear it.Have you participated in any tourneys yet? Back when i was actually in it and not self studying, tournament participation was a requirement in order to advance.Still have my old trophies in storage somewhere. Was great fun to spar with my fellow classmates and forms(though hard to memorize) were fun to execute.

To those who dont know: forms is the term for a performance of a series of predetermined moves set in a specific pattern.Most of my tourneys were split into a sparring competition and a forms competition.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

Pirate700
:lol: I'm writing that down.
dodgerblue13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dodgerblue13
Member since 2004 • 20846 Posts
Not one bit. I'm non-confrontational though.
WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 WolfGrey

Not one bit. I'm non-confrontational though.dodgerblue13

Dont think of martial arts as confrontational. If you are just studying it or participating in a class just think of it as a discipline.A way to sharpen your senses and your mind. Just because a great deal is physical doesnt mean its confrontational.

Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts

[QUOTE="bangell99"]

WolfGrey

Good to hear it.Have you participated in any tourneys yet? Back when i was actually in it and not self studying, tournament participation was a requirement in order to advance.Still have my old trophies in storage somewhere. Was great fun to spar with my fellow classmates and forms(though hard to memorize) were fun to execute.

To those who dont know: forms is the term for a performance of a series of predetermined moves set in a specific pattern.Most of my tourneys were split into a sparring competition and a forms competition.

We do sparring in our training sessions, but I think it's only the brown and black belts who do proper tournaments. Sparring is required as part of grading though, of course.

PerilousWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 PerilousWolf
Member since 2007 • 1544 Posts

Is there a way to learn martial arts by youself?

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#12 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts
I learned some palm crushing moves from D3nnyCrane, does that count?
AnObscureName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 AnObscureName
Member since 2008 • 2069 Posts
Nope. I always meant to try to learn Muay Thai one day...I can't be bothered though.
WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WolfGrey

[QUOTE="WolfGrey"]

[QUOTE="bangell99"]

bangell99

We do sparring in our training sessions, but I think it's only the brown and black belts who do proper tournaments. Sparring is required as part of grading though, of course.

Hmm sure has changed since i was in it.Then again i think its because of recent safety regulations.Thinking of going into kendo soon and im hoping for very little restriction.

Ah so thats how it is worked for karate these days huh? Shame that takes away alot of excitement and fun you could be having.You gonna go all the way? And also how is your sparring system setup? Mine was based on a 3 points-3 rounds system.All but below the belt and the neck was considered legal to attack for points.All blocks equaled 0 points while successful direct hits counted as a point.

WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 WolfGrey

Is there a way to learn martial arts by youself?

PerilousWolf

Yes there is.Its called self studied martial arts.You can take up books and videos to learn.Then practice yourself.Heres a good example:

Get a good TaeKwonDo video to start off on.Look it up if you can.Then before you start training or participating with the video as may be the case i recommend you perform basic exercices to loosen up.You need to do a few stretches and at least 10 reps of each.I would have to say at least 5 different ones.Then either participate with the video or train in what you have learned.Concentrate on simply getting the basics of each technique.movement. and stance.Then master each one , 1 by 1 tell you think you have mastered it.Then move on tot he next tech,movement, or stance.Classes are usually a total of 2 hours with 15 minutes of stretches before hand.So try to set a time.You can do this every morning if you like.But fair warning you will be very sore when you first start.

WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 WolfGrey

Nope. I always meant to try to learn Muay Thai one day...I can't be bothered though.AnObscureName

Its a very powerful martial art that is difficult to truly master.But very versatile.You should really give it a try someday.

monkeyd_93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 monkeyd_93
Member since 2007 • 6848 Posts
im black belt in taekwando, plus we all know a guys weakness ;)
WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 WolfGrey

im black belt in taekwando, plus we all know a guys weakness ;)monkeyd_93

But some of us just wont kick there.Me being one who wont.

HorrayForAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HorrayForAnime
Member since 2009 • 37 Posts

I'm a senior green belt in Tae-Kwon-Do. My strength is round kicks and my weakness is street fighting.

WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WolfGrey

I'm a senior green belt in Tae-Kwon-Do. My strength is round kicks and my weakness is street fighting.

HorrayForAnime

Nice to see a fellow martial artist come on. Along with what i have already said my strength is kicks,throws, and disarming attacks to weak points of the body.

WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WolfGrey

[QUOTE="HorrayForAnime"]

WolfGrey

Nice to see a fellow martial artist come on. Along with what i have already said my strength is kicks,throws, and disarming attacks to weak points of the body.

Forgot to say. Weakness - arm strength is low, only use to parry,throw, and hit pressure points.i dont punch.

eo_the_shaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 eo_the_shaman
Member since 2009 • 1800 Posts

does drunken boxing count as a figting style?

WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 WolfGrey

does drunken boxing count as a figting style?

eo_the_shaman

Its a official martial art so i dont see why not.Some martial artists actually fight better drunk.Its hard to explain why.Something about returning thier minds to base instincts and flowing with unbalance of the alchohol.

Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts

I know a little wrestling, but not much.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
I really love the Wushu Tiger Taming form and Hung Gar, but it's not practical to learn..
DarkSmokeNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DarkSmokeNinja
Member since 2008 • 3485 Posts

Karate, and wrestling.

WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WolfGrey

I really love the Wushu Tiger Taming form and Hung Gar, but it's not practical to learn.. th3warr1or

Almost any form can be practical.But its recommended you place abit of your own style in it to make it as such.Learn what you wish and work with it.

Im busy developing a style that i wont use unless under extreme pressure.Its based on stopping blood flow at certain points momentarily then attacking the those points with alot of force to disable that limb or part of the body.Havent named it yet.

WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WolfGrey

Glad to see my topic gettin active.

Btw any questions about martial arts just pm me.Ill answer what i can.Plus i dont get the computer that much so never know when.

shoot-first

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#29 shoot-first
Member since 2004 • 9788 Posts

Pirate700

I hope it does because I'm screwed if it doesn't.

WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 WolfGrey

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

shoot-first

I hope it does because I'm screwed if it doesn't.

At point blank right up front of one another a gun loses to a knife or CQC.In the time it takes you to pull out your gun or pull the trigger your hand would be against the wall, the gun on the ground and your arm about to be broken.

Honestly if your gun isnt drawn you lose and you hesitate more in firing a gun then using CQC.Its a fact, even if its a fraction of a second of hesitation, you still lose.Long range is another matter.The only chance a martial artist has is to watch your hand and move the second your finger does.Then run and look for a place to hide and attack you from.Bait and lure becomes the only way to fight.But one mistake and martial artist is dead sadly.

DarkSmokeNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DarkSmokeNinja

[QUOTE="WolfGrey"]

[QUOTE="HorrayForAnime"]

WolfGrey

Forgot to say. Weakness - arm strength is low, only use to parry,throw, and hit pressure points.i dont punch.

If you need to get your arm strength up do weight-lifting. It helps a lot.:D

WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 WolfGrey

[QUOTE="WolfGrey"]

[QUOTE="WolfGrey"]

DarkSmokeNinja

It does and doesnt.Too much build up ruins flexibility.I can twist my arms in ways that make alot of people sick haha. But serouisly i have my arms built this way to further the effienciency of my martial styles. Besides i prefer to kick someone rather than punch.

DarkSmokeNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DarkSmokeNinja

[QUOTE="DarkSmokeNinja"]

[QUOTE="WolfGrey"]

WolfGrey

It does and doesnt.Too much build up ruins flexibility.I can twist my arms in ways that make alot of people sick haha. But serouisly i have my arms built this way to further the effienciency of my martial styles. Besides i prefer to kick someone rather than punch.

Is the rib-cage the first place that you usually kick your oppenents?

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
I wanna start boxing, it sounds awesome. But I only know basic street stuff, and since I work out that's a plus. I don't wanna take a karate class, they often tend to lead you the wrong directions, and end up being an even worse fighter than when you started. I'm talking about those "discount" karate places.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Unless brawler technique with some touches of Taekwon-Do is a martial art, then no.
WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 WolfGrey

[QUOTE="WolfGrey"]

[QUOTE="DarkSmokeNinja"]If you need to get your arm strength up do weight-lifting. It helps a lot.:D

DarkSmokeNinja

I typically do a high kick to the chin(as i can kick almost straight up) to phase my opponent then rooundhouse the ribcage.Then i follow up by using my elbow to drop them down low and use a axe kick directly to the middle of thier back. This is what i prefer to do but doesnt always work out that way.

WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 WolfGrey

I wanna start boxing, it sounds awesome. But I only know basic street stuff, and since I work out that's a plus. I don't wanna take a karate class, they often tend to lead you the wrong directions, and end up being an even worse fighter than when you started. I'm talking about those "discount" karate places.mohfrontline

If you want to learn boxing i recommend getting a small punching bag and a boxing dummy(the ones you fill with sand) then look up getting a book or vid and train yourself. You will be surprised how much you can learn on your own.From there you can decide if you wish to continue.If you do look up taking a professional class fromt here when you get the chance. Having a friend to take the place of a dummy to punch you rapidly.This way you can learn to duck and weave, which is really important in boxing. Just a suggestion.

DarkSmokeNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DarkSmokeNinja

[QUOTE="DarkSmokeNinja"]

[QUOTE="WolfGrey"]

WolfGrey

I typically do a high kick to the chin(as i can kick almost straight up) to phase my opponent then rooundhouse the ribcage.Then i follow up by using my elbow to drop them down low and use a axe kick directly to the middle of thier back. This is what i prefer to do but doesnt always work out that way.

Awsome:D

btw, I like this topic

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
there's also this skinny freshman in my school who's a blackbelt in his karate class that is constantly bullied, and I've seen him use his "skills", well I gotta say they suck. I don't know what they've been teaching the poor kid over at his class, but wow he'd be better off not even going.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
Done some TKD soon to learn Muay Thai, Boxing and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu...
WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WolfGrey

Unless brawler technique with some touches of Taekwon-Do is a martial art, then no.Treflis

Almost any fighting style is a martial art.Placing your own personal touch to a martial art is important.Think of the disciplines as guidlines.Then work on your own from there. Trust me on that. So regardless since you are fighting with martial knowledge then you are at least somewhat of a martial artist.

WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 WolfGrey

[QUOTE="WolfGrey"]

[QUOTE="DarkSmokeNinja"]Is the rib-cage the first place that you usually kick your oppenents?

DarkSmokeNinja

Awsome:D

btw, I like this topic

Im glad to see you do.Its hard to find appreciation for such things anywhere, so this was a long shot.Besides i dont mind answering questions for people too.

DarkSmokeNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DarkSmokeNinja

Okay WolfGrey I have a quick question, which fighting style is your favorite?

WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 WolfGrey

there's also this skinny freshman in my school who's a blackbelt in his karate class that is constantly bullied, and I've seen him use his "skills", well I gotta say they suck. I don't know what they've been teaching the poor kid over at his class, but wow he'd be better off not even going.mohfrontline

You have to understand.Most classes typically teach the discipline and not practicality.Its taught to sharpen the mind and bring focus to oneself.Being able to use it in actual combat is all up to the person who learns it.The martia art does not adapt to you, you adapt to it.Back when i first learned TaeKwonDo i used this knowledge to heighten the power of my kicks and concentrate on firm execution of fighting techniques.Most martial schools these days are meant as a basis not as what you can fully use in combat.Mostly toned down these days anyway.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

[QUOTE="Treflis"]Unless brawler technique with some touches of Taekwon-Do is a martial art, then no.WolfGrey

Almost any fighting style is a martial art.Placing your own personal touch to a martial art is important.Think of the disciplines as guidlines.Then work on your own from there. Trust me on that. So regardless since you are fighting with martial knowledge then you are at least somewhat of a martial artist.

Wow..I'm a Martial artist then.
WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 WolfGrey

Okay WolfGrey I have a quick question, which fighting style is your favorite?

DarkSmokeNinja

I would have to say judo.It helped me learn a great deal about shifting my weight and learning to flow with every move.Thanks to learning and mastering it i can move much quicker and deliver far harder kicks from gaining momentum from the movements i adapted from judo.

MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
there's also this skinny freshman in my school who's a blackbelt in his karate class that is constantly bullied, and I've seen him use his "skills", well I gotta say they suck. I don't know what they've been teaching the poor kid over at his class, but wow he'd be better off not even going.mohfrontline
Well the belief in karate is to never use it unless your in a life or death situation or have to use it. The belief is that a person can take down the opponent in one strike...
WolfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 WolfGrey

Well keep this topic alive my friends if you can.Add me to your friend lists and message my username if you have any questions.I have to get off of the computer now im sorry all. But i dont mind if you all add me.Ill check my inbox when i can and answer anything you ask.Training regiments,diets for training,questions about different styles,adaptations of such styles and more.Ill answer all i can for anyone who wishes to know.Anyway take care all sorry that i have to go.Might be back on tonight sometime or in the morning again.

kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts

I know judo and a little arnis.