Kanye West is not sorry about the Taylor Swift incident

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I'm no Kanye hater, but this dude's newest rant is silly as always.

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/hiphopmediatraining/317955/kanye-west-says-taylor-swifts-2009-vma-win-was-disrespectful-claims-today-exploited-him/

So basically Kanye West doesn't regret interrupting Taylor Swift's acceptance speech.

"If I wasn't drunk, I would have been on stage longer," he said.Kanye West

:lol: Quotes like that make me glad that Kanye is in the public consiousness.

He also said this:

When you do things like what happened last year, it's disrespectful to everyone who's creative," West said about MTV's decision to give Swift the honor. "It's a slap in the face to everyone who tries to do something real."Kanye West

I'm sure most people can agree that Beyonce's video was alot better, but the idea that disagreeing with Kanye West's personal choice for best video is "disrespect" can only be the thought of somebody that is totally divorced from any sort of grounded reality.

I remember Madonna making a comment about how silly it is that Kanye West takes award shows so seriously and I agree. Not to mention that this is MTV we're talking about, which means that its pretty much a teenbopper award.But I guess that **** is serious business in Kanye's world. He's fighting for artistic integrity at the MTV awards. :roll:

He also had some interestingstuff to say about the Bushdoesn't care aboutblack people fiasco.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

When you do things like what happened last year, it's disrespectful to everyone who's creative," West said about MTV's decision to give Swift the honor. "It's a slap in the face to everyone who tries to do something real."Kanye West

Because MTV is all about creativity.

v13_KiiLtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 v13_KiiLtz
Member since 2010 • 2791 Posts

"West compared the aftermath of the VMA incident to that of the 2005 Hurricane Katrina telethon in which he accused President Bush of not caring about black people."

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

I love it. It's almost refreshing to see a mainstream artist actually say what's on his mind and not say the typical "Oh I love everybody" stuff. He's crazy and I don't agree with him on some things, but at least you know he's not filtered.

Besides, he shouldn't be sorry about the Taylor Swift incident. What he said in the video was spot on. Taylor Swift rode a wave of great PR after the VMAs. She was really big before that, but if anything Kanye made her a more sympathetic figure and helped her career even more.

huytttr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 huytttr
Member since 2007 • 816 Posts
Dang Kanye West got OT talking. Anyways nothing new. plus i think Taylor is over it already. so this is old.
despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts

[quote="Kanye West"]When you do things like what happened last year, it's disrespectful to everyone who's creative," West said about MTV's decision to give Swift the honor. "It's a slap in the face to everyone who tries to do something real."sammyjenkis898

Obviously your not watching Jersey Shore :P
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JML897

"West compared the aftermath of the VMA incident to that of the 2005 Hurricane Katrina telethon in which he accused President Bush of not caring about black people."

v13_KiiLtz

Wait about him comparing the two is crazy? If you read the two paragraphs following that one it's explained a little better. He's not comparing the VMAs to Katrina.

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

Of course he's not sorry about the Taylor Swift incident. Why would he be sorry about free publicity? His actions resulted in exactly what he intended them to do.

theycallmeRP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 theycallmeRP
Member since 2009 • 1656 Posts

I love it. It's almost refreshing to see a mainstream artist actually say what's on his mind and not say the typical "Oh I love everybody" stuff. He's crazy and I don't agree with him on some things, but at least you know he's not filtered.

Besides, he shouldn't be sorry about the Taylor Swift incident. What he said in the video was spot on. Taylor Swift rode a wave of great PR after that incident. She was really big before that, but if anything Kanye made her a more sympathetic figure and helped her career even more.

JML897

I second this. And I kind of think that he's using controversy to get people talking about him. Why else would he stir the pot on the day his album comes out?

Avatar image for jerk-o-tron2000
jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jerk-o-tron2000
Member since 2007 • 10036 Posts

Yeah, that's great and I'm really happy for you and Imma let you finish, but I fail to care....

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JML897

[QUOTE="JML897"]

Besides, he shouldn't be sorry about the Taylor Swift incident. What he said in the video was spot on. Taylor Swift rode a wave of great PR after that incident. She was really big before that, but if anything Kanye made her a more sympathetic figure and helped her career even more.

theycallmeRP

I second this. And I kind of think that he's using controversy to get people talking about him. Why else would he stir the pot on the day his album comes out?

I wouldn't doubt that either. Even the Yahoo article mentioned that he just released an album so it's almost free advertising.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GreySeal9

Besides, he shouldn't be sorry about the Taylor Swift incident. What he said in the video was spot on. Taylor Swift rode a wave of great PR after the VMAs. She was really big before that, but if anything Kanye made her a more sympathetic figure and helped her career even more.

JML897

Why not? I generally do have regrets when I act like a douchebag.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GreySeal9

Yeah, that's great and I'm really happy for you and Imma let you finish, but I fail to care....

jerk-o-tron2000

You're presence in the thread is a little puzzling then.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
This is why I don't like him. You're welcome to disagree, but you don't go humiliate a young woman on stage for no reason, just because you disagree.
DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DudeNtheRoom
Member since 2010 • 1276 Posts
Who?
EolGul2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 EolGul2
Member since 2005 • 1721 Posts

Kanye should have asked her for singling lessons while he was up there. Have you ever heard him sing without autotune? :cry:

I'm really not impressed with Kanye. I've been listening to a lot of Beatles albums lately, but Kanye's new album has gotten such glowing reviews that I decided to give it a listen. If that's the best album of the year, popular music today is in a very, very sad place. It was incredibly underwhelming. But the guy seems to think he's a god with all the attention and praise he's getting.

Avatar image for jerk-o-tron2000
jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jerk-o-tron2000
Member since 2007 • 10036 Posts

[QUOTE="jerk-o-tron2000"]

GreySeal9

You're presence in the thread is a little puzzling then.

I just felt like posting that. I didn't even read the post.
And with that, I bid you Adieu.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GreySeal9

This is why I don't like him. You're welcome to disagree, but you don't go humiliate a young woman on stage for no reason, just because you disagree. XilePrincess

Yeah, pretty much. Kanye West lives on another planet.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JML897

[QUOTE="JML897"]

Besides, he shouldn't be sorry about the Taylor Swift incident.

GreySeal9

If he didn't interrupt her, only the people watching the VMAs that night would have known that she won. Now everybody knows she won the award.

Maybe he should feel a little sorry because yeah, he was a douchebag. But the whole thing was blown way out of proportion. It's just the damn VMAs. This isn't the first time someone interrupted an acceptance speech and yet Kanye was villainized 50 times more than anyone else was.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

[quote="Kanye West"]When you do things like what happened last year, it's disrespectful to everyone who's creative," West said about MTV's decision to give Swift the honor. "It's a slap in the face to everyone who tries to do something real."sammyjenkis898

Well of course it is. :P

DaBlastaMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaBlastaMasta
Member since 2009 • 13250 Posts

Kanye should act like a grown man instead of whining like a toddler when things don't go his way.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="JML897"]

JML897

If he didn't interrupt her, only the people watching the VMAs that night would have known that she won. Now everybody knows she won the award.

Maybe he should feel a little sorry because yeah, he was a douchebag. But the whole thing was blown way out of proportion. It's just the damn VMAs. This isn't the first time someone interrupted an acceptance speech and yet Kanye was villainized 50 times more than anyone else was.

I agree that he was villianized WAY WAY too much. It's ridiculous that people act like he's a horrible person over that. But it really does seem like he lives on a different planet.

muffincakes87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 muffincakes87
Member since 2008 • 3913 Posts

JML897

I was gonna say something exactly like this. He is conterversal, over the top, hated, and I love it. Hate him all you want, but with his album coming out, he's only getting more fans. The crazier the more entertaining.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JML897

But it really does seem like he lives on a different planet.

GreySeal9

This I can agree with. :P

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
Doesn't matter what he thought about her winning, he had no right to go up on stage and do what he did. Incredibly rude, disrespectful and the perfect example of his ego and douchbaggery at work. If it wasn't for the fact that I actually enjoy some of his music, I'd be wishing his mouth was sewn shut.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
I still find it interesting how MTV gave an award to a Country music singer rather than an artist they'd actually play music videos for, though MTV hasn't really played music videos for a while anyway.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JML897

I still find it interesting how MTV gave an award to a Country music singer rather than an artist they'd actually play music videos forStinger78

The VMAs are voted on by the public.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#28 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="JML897"]

JML897

Thing is, Kanye West thrives on attention and gets as much media exposure as he can. Thus, due to his constant publicity stunts, it would be reasonable for the fallout of West's antics at the VMAs to be greater than the usual detours. If it was some no-name Joe off the street then, although it would still garner a bit of attention, it would not be nearly as great as someone like Kanye West who lives off of status conferral.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

[QUOTE="Stinger78"]I still find it interesting how MTV gave an award to a Country music singer rather than an artist they'd actually play music videos forJML897

The VMAs are voted on by the public.

Alright, thanks.
Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts

Good, Taylor Swift had it comin'.

Avatar image for SuprmanLuvHandl
SuprmanLuvHandl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SuprmanLuvHandl
Member since 2010 • 989 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"]

muffincakes87

I was gonna say something exactly like this. He is conterversal, over the top, hated, and I love it. Hate him all you want, but with his album coming out, he's only getting more fans. The crazier the more entertaining.

albums already out, and its great:P

muffincakes87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 muffincakes87

Kanye should have asked her for singling lessons while he was up there. Have you ever heard him sing without autotune? :cry:

I'm really not impressed with Kanye. I've been listening to a lot of Beatles albums lately, but Kanye's new album has gotten such glowing reviews that I decided to give it a listen. If that's the best album of the year, popular music today is in a very, very sad place. It was incredibly underwhelming. But the guy seems to think he's a god with all the attention and praise he's getting.

EolGul2

Boo hoo. I love The Beatles and I love Kanye's new album. I hate that ol excuse "music is in a sad place today, back in my day.."

If there were message boards back in the 60's, people who post threads on how controversial Lennon and The Beatles were. Half the people would say Lennon was a douche; half the people would say Lennon was a genius.

EolGul2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 EolGul2

[QUOTE="EolGul2"]

muffincakes87

Boo hoo. I love the Beatles and I love Kanye's new album. I hate that ol excuse "music is in a sad place today, back in my day.."

If there were message boards back in the 60's, people who post threads on how controversial Lennon and The Beatles were. Half the people would say Lennon was a douche; half the people would say Lennon was a genius.

It's possible to be both a douche and a genius.

I'm not sure if you are, but please don't compare Kanye's musicianship to Lennon or McCartney's. Please.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

He's just mad bro.

Avatar image for SuprmanLuvHandl
SuprmanLuvHandl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SuprmanLuvHandl
Member since 2010 • 989 Posts

[QUOTE="muffincakes87"]

[QUOTE="EolGul2"]

EolGul2

Boo hoo. I love the Beatles and I love Kanye's new album. I hate that ol excuse "music is in a sad place today, back in my day.."

I'm not sure if you are, but please don't compare Kanye's musicianship to Lennon or McCartney's. Please.

Kanye is the Lennon of this generation8)

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#36 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

He's just mad bro.

Gaming-Planet
Cue picture of Woody with a "U Mad" caption in 3...2... [spoiler] and yeah, he's mad [/spoiler]
iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

He shouldn't, just made both of 'em that much more popular, it's like a wrestling show. Kanye drew heat to put Taylor over, it's exactly what everyone wanted.

EolGul2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 EolGul2

Kanye is the Lennon of this generation8)

SuprmanLuvHandl

That's an indictment of this generation.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JML897

He shouldn't, just made both of 'em that much more popular, it's like a wrestling show. Kanye drew heat to put Taylor over, it's exactly what everyone wanted.

iloverikku11

That's a great analogy actually.

muffincakes87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 muffincakes87

[QUOTE="muffincakes87"]

[QUOTE="EolGul2"]

EolGul2

I'm not comparing there musicianship. I'm comparing there controversy. Lennon got crucifed for saying that the Beatles were bigger Jesus. Kanye got crucfied for saying George Bush dosen't care about black people. Blowing things out of proportion.

In the end, does really matter what one person says?

DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DudeNtheRoom
Member since 2010 • 1276 Posts

iloverikku11
i don't think she would be as popular if it weren't for that incident in all reality.
EolGul2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 EolGul2

[QUOTE="EolGul2"]

[QUOTE="muffincakes87"]

muffincakes87

I'm not comparing there musicianship. I'm comparing there controversy. Lennon got crucifed for saying that the Beatles were bigger Jesus. Kanye got crucfied for saying George Bush dosen't care about black people. Blowing things out of proportion.

Well, controversy is irrelevant to musicianship, which is what I was talking about.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

JML897

On the part that I made bold, I strongly disagree. Being an "artist" doesn't give a person a free pass to act like a jackass without being labelled as a jerk. Would his "art" have been any better if he HADN'T done that? Probably not. He was just acting like an ass.

He should be "filtering" himself. Before he says ****, he SHOULD be thinking about whether or not he's making an artistically valid statement, or just plain being an ass for the sake of getting attention and making a scene.

As far as whether or not his comments were spot-on, that's irrelevant. It was a dirtball move. He could've criticized Taylor Swift's win in a socially acceptable manner, but instead he just plain acted like a total prick Were his comments giving any kind of meaningful commentary about WHY she didn't deserve the award? No. Were there other opportunities to express his feelings other than the precise moment that she was given the award? Yes. This isn't about him being right, it's about him acting like a total ass. He could have been right WITHOUT being a total ass, but he chose to act like an ass instead. Instead of acting like a ****ing professional who has to deal with people, he threw a tantrum like a spoiled little kid whose mom won't buy him a Snickers bar because he's already too fat.

1) That was the wrong ****ing time and place to be criticizing Talor Swift's work. He had ample opportunities before and after to state who he thinks should win/ should have won. But you don't do that **** when the winner is walking up on stage to accept the award. That's a jerk move, period. That's not standing up to his principles, that's throwing a tantrum like a spoiled kid because the person who he wanted to win didn't win. Did you see James Cameron acting like an ass when his ex-wife's movie whipped Avatar at the Oscars? No, because James Cameron is a ****ing professional.

2) Even if Kanye West absolutely HAD to "speak his mind", what he spoke was absolutely worthless. Did he give a well-reasoned criticism of why Taylor Swift shouldn't have won, or why Beyonce should hve? No. He just threw a ****ing meaningless tantrum, like any spoiled brat who doesn't get his way. He didn't give a well-reasoned argument about WHY the award was going to the wrong person, he simply spewed **** from his mouth while diminishing the accomplishments of the winner. At least he could have backed up his "performance" with a rational justification for why the chick won, and he wasn't able to even do that.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

iloverikku11

1) Was that Kanye West's INTENT in acting that way?

2) People on wretling shows generally know a rough idea of how the "match" is going to play out. Does this mean that Taylor swift KNEW that Kanye West was going to act like that if she won, and AGREED prior to her win that Kanye West should act like a douchebag (in the condition that she won) in order to help her career?

muffincakes87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 muffincakes87

[QUOTE="muffincakes87"]

[QUOTE="EolGul2"]

EolGul2

Well, controvercy is irrelevant to musicianship, which is what I was talking about.

I'm not gonna try argue with you that Kanye makes good music. Your mind is already set. You don't like. Everyone's has a diffrent taste. My arguement is that you that you were listening to The Beatles, and then you listened to Kanye, and you have made the great assumption that music is in a sad place. That's something my granny says. It's apple to oranges. Just because you listene to The Beatles dosen't mean you have some superior taste and that people are less exquiste because they listen to Kanye. I'm not arguing all night. Last post.

BIG-BOSSMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46 BIG-BOSSMAN
Member since 2010 • 594 Posts

JML897
He wasn't speaking his mind in any situation, probably lying. He just did it to get free publicity and more sales, but theres nothing wrong with that.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#47 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Well Kanye, that's fine and all, and Imma let you finish, but this is what people think about you.

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

iloverikku11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 iloverikku11
Member since 2005 • 11039 Posts

[QUOTE="iloverikku11"]

MrGeezer

2) People on wretling shows generally know a rough idea of how the "match" is going to play out. Does this mean that Taylor swift KNEW that Kanye West was going to act like that if she won, and AGREED prior to her win that Kanye West should act like a douchebag (in the condition that she won) in order to help her career?

1. No

2. No, but I bet she doesn't hold a grudge on him. She was probably been shocked and sad at the time, but she still won the award, still got the sympathy from viewers and journalists, probably had people watch her video and compare it to Beyonce's. Although she was a victim and probably won't forget that night, I don't think her career or personal life is suffering for it in anyway.

BIG-BOSSMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 BIG-BOSSMAN

[QUOTE="EolGul2"]

[QUOTE="muffincakes87"]I'm not comparing there musicianship. I'm comparing there controversy. Lennon got crucifed for saying that the Beatles were bigger Jesus. Kanye got crucfied for saying George Bush dosen't care about black people. Blowing things out of proportion.

muffincakes87

Well, controvercy is irrelevant to musicianship, which is what I was talking about.

I'm not gonna try argue with you that Kanye makes good music. Your mind is already set. You don't like. Everyone's has a diffrent taste. My arguement is that you that you were listening to The Beatles, and then you listened to Kanye, and you have made the great assumption that music is in a sad place. That's something my granny says. It's apple to oranges. Just because you listene to The Beatles dosen't mean you have some superior taste and that people are less exquiste because they listen to Kanye. I'm not arguing all night. Last post.

I think kanye can and has made great music, but pretty much anything hes made sense '07 has sucked. The beats are just weak and muddy. The snare drums never have any impact. I like hard hitting hip hop songs, not quiet over-emotional talking ballads over weak drums with predictable sounds and styles. Kanye could never compete with the big boys of the 90s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6UTzidsgREhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUsr0ralES4
BIG-BOSSMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BIG-BOSSMAN

[QUOTE="iloverikku11"]

MrGeezer

He probably did intend to do it. He was probably told to do it by beyonce and Jay-Z. These people don't get to these levels by just doing random stuff, they make things happen. Kanye may play dumb but hes never been a fool.