Justin Bieber not knowing what "German" means

• 138 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DriftRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 DriftRS
Member since 2004 • 3491 Posts

Noticed this on booting up msn, a news article about justin bieber apparently not knowing what "german" means. In fact, a quick google search showed that news articles everywhere have picked up on this and are now mocking the kid for not knowing what "germany" or "german" is.

Here's the thing, personally I couldn't care less about bieber, but news articles flaming a kid, mocking himand calling him stupid is kinda sick. Especially as they've completely taken the interview it occured in out of context. The kid never said he didn't know wht germany is, here's what the interviewer asked him.

"Bieber, is German for basketball?"

then when the kid asked the interviewer to repeat the question, the interviewer simply said

"Is German for basketball?"

He obviously thought the interviewer was simply addressing him by his name the first time he asked the question, and on asking him to repeat it, the interviewer just repeats that last part, which obviously makes no sense. As a result a media-storm kicks in, and as I've said the kid is being mocked accross the media.

It isn't really right to put a kid through this sort of thing, I'm not for blatant sueing, but I wouldn't much mind if these media publications were sued for slander or whatever else these sort of derogatory comments go under. I'm sure as a public figure he could also get them for loss of sales and tarnishing his image due to unfounded claims, as well as emotional and mental damages.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
Who cares, he's a singer. That's not really his domain. If he was Secretary of State, or a diplomat or something, that's when this should be newsworthy.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
It's just a dumb misunderstanding. I don't like the kid (I should say I don't really give a crap about him) but he's not that dumb. The interviewer phrased the question poorly. Should have been like "Are you aware Bieber means basketball in German?"
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts
[QUOTE="Danm_999"]Who cares, he's a singer. That's not really his domain. If he was Secretary of State, or a diplomat or something, that's when this should be newsworthy.

Yeah,that's one thing.But not knowing what "German" means? Maybe next time he'll ask what the Holocaust was...
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SgtKevali
Member since 2009 • 5763 Posts

Heh, apparently people didn't read the OP.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

SgtKevali
Seems like it.
muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

Me thinks the interviewer did that on purpose.

DriftRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DriftRS

Who cares, he's a singer. That's not really his domain. If he was Secretary of State, or a diplomat or something, that's when this should be newsworthy.Danm_999

Whether you think it's news worthy or not, as a public figure, the media picks up on it. When someone doesn't know what the word "German" means, it really is pretty pathetic. I mean, if you were picked up widely in the news and called an idiot without founding, you'd be pretty pissed. And this kid looks to be... early teens or something? It's not the sort of thing someone that age will handle very well, and kinda irresponsible of the media.

And everyone else, l2read, your as bad as the media, probably worse cause my topic isn't something as easilly misinterpreted...

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Danm_999
[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"][QUOTE="Danm_999"]Who cares, he's a singer. That's not really his domain. If he was Secretary of State, or a diplomat or something, that's when this should be newsworthy.

Yeah,that's one thing.But not knowing what "German" means? Maybe next time he'll ask what the Holocaust was...

So what? Again, he's a singer. He's not advocating anything, he isn't giving a stupid opinion, it may even be the question was phrased in such a way he didn't understand it rather than what Germany was. HIs ignorance of global affairs should not be this newsworthy.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lto_thaG

SgtKevali
Aah,I see it now...Yeah,I didn't read the OP...Still early.
Tangmashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Tangmashi
Member since 2007 • 1093 Posts

Noticed this on booting up msn, a news article about justin bieber apparently not knowing what "german" means. In fact, a quick google search showed that news articles everywhere have picked up on this and are now mocking the kid for not knowing what "germany" or "german" is.

Here's the thing, personally I couldn't care less about bieber, but news articles flaming a kid, mocking himand calling him stupid is kinda sick. Especially as they've completely taken the interview it occured in out of context. The kid never said he didn't know wht germany is, here's what the interviewer asked him.

then when the kid asked the interviewer to repeat the question, the interviewer simply said

He obviously thought the interviewer was simply addressing him by his name the first time he asked the question, and on asking him to repeat it, the interviewer just repeats that last part, which obviously makes no sense. As a result a media-storm kicks in, and as I've said the kid is being mocked accross the media.

It isn't really right to put a kid through this sort of thing, I'm not for blatant sueing, but I wouldn't much mind if these media publications were sued for slander or whatever else these sort of derogatory comments go under. I'm sure as a public figure he could also get them for loss of sales and tarnishing his image due to unfounded claims, as well as emotional and mental damages.

DriftRS

I disagree. The kid is stupid. Anyone with half a brain knew what he was asking.

Bieber even responded 'We don't talk like that in America, we use the G-word.' Are you freaking serious? This kid is a moron, or he spent his entire childhood living in a bubble.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lto_thaG
[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="Lto_thaG"][QUOTE="Danm_999"]Who cares, he's a singer. That's not really his domain. If he was Secretary of State, or a diplomat or something, that's when this should be newsworthy.

So what? Again, he's a singer. He's not advocating anything, he isn't giving a stupid opinion, it may even be the question was phrased in such a way he didn't understand it rather than what Germany was. HIs ignorance of global affairs should not be this newsworthy.

It's basic knowledge imo.
DriftRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DriftRS

[QUOTE="DriftRS"]

Tangmashi

I disagree. The kid is stupid. Anyone with half a brain knew what he was asking.

Bieber even responded 'We don't talk like that in America, we use the G-word.' Are you freaking serious? This kid is a moron, or he spent his entire childhood living in a bubble.

Watch again mate, your misinterpreting what happened. The interviewer says very clearly "Is German for basketball" You tell me what that means? I'm guessing he interpreted "German" as some sort of slang, when asking the interviewer to restate the question he says something along the lines of "I don't know what "german for" means"

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Danm_999

Whether you think it's news worthy or not, as a public figure, the media picks up on it. DriftRS

Because they know we'll react. We're all as bad as each other (me as well).

Today, Britain is in the final days of its elections, Greece is virtually paralyzed by civil unrest and strike, Israel and the US have begun peace talks in the Middle East again, but we're all discussing a Canadian pop singer's geography knowledge.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="DriftRS"]

Whether you think it's news worthy or not, as a public figure, the media picks up on it. Danm_999

Today, Britain is in the final days of its elections, Greece is virtually paralyzed by civil unrest and strike, Israel and the US have begun peace talks in the Middle East again, but we're all discussing a Canadian pop singer's geography knowledge.

So should we all be extremely serious all the time? It's not like I can do anything about any of those major issues. We might as well talk about Justin Bieber.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Danm_999

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

[QUOTE="DriftRS"]

Whether you think it's news worthy or not, as a public figure, the media picks up on it. SgtKevali

So should we all be extremely serious all the time? It's not like I can do anything about any of those major issues. We might as well talk about Justin Bieber.

Of course we don't have to be serious all the time. But the coverage this issue is receiving (and I am exacerbating) is ridiculous.I don't see how we can do anything about this issue either. I don't even see how it's relevant to anything, except to give people a smug feeling of satisfaction they know more than a teenager.

Even for celebrity news this rates below puerile. I'm suggesting we talk about something with more substance than a 16 year old pop singer's knowledge of Germany.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#18 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
I don't really care about the kid, but there shouldn't be any articles based off an interviewer's **bleep**y question. Dude can't even speak English correctly, I don't blame the kid for asking him to repeat the question.
Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

Me thinks the interviewer did that on purpose.

muller39

Me too. Maybe we should go out for dinner some time.

SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

[QUOTE="Danm_999"] Because they know we'll react. We're all as bad as each other (me as well).

Danm_999

Of course we don't have to be serious all the time. But the coverage this issue is receiving (and I am exacerbating) is ridiculous. Even for celebrity news this rates below puerile. I'm suggesting we talk about something with more substance than a 16 year old pop singer's knowledge of Germany.

Why? It's not like we're all foreign policy experts here on GS offtopic.

Tangmashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Tangmashi

[QUOTE="Tangmashi"]

[QUOTE="DriftRS"]

DriftRS

Watch again mate, your misinterpreting what happened. The interviewer says very clearly "Is German for basketball" You tell me what that means? I'm guessing he interpreted "German" as some sort of slang, when asking the interviewer to restate the question he says something along the lines of "I don't know what "german for" means"

No, sorry, I'm not stupid enough to misinterpret the meaning to what he said. He clearly asked if it was true or false that Bieber in German means Basketball.

Even with his Aussie accent I understood perfectly what he said, and you haven't even addressed his idiotic comment that we don't use words like that in America which actually confirms that he had no idea what German means because he's a numbskull.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
i fail to see the issue
dr_octagon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 dr_octagon
Member since 2003 • 625 Posts

[QUOTE="DriftRS"]

Whether you think it's news worthy or not, as a public figure, the media picks up on it. Danm_999

This is OT. We talk about what we want. It can't be buzzkill politics all the time.

I could care less for the kid, obviously he's not the smartest celebrity - he's only 16. But when you're famous, and you say something stupid, it sticks in people's heads.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Danm_999

[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="SgtKevali"]

SgtKevali

Of course we don't have to be serious all the time. But the coverage this issue is receiving (and I am exacerbating) is ridiculous. Even for celebrity news this rates below puerile. I'm suggesting we talk about something with more substance than a 16 year old pop singer's knowledge of Germany.

Why? It's not like we're all foreign policy experts here on GS offtopic.

Virtually anything would have more of a point. I'm suppose I'm venting here at a media establishment that thinks this qualifies as news too.
Tangmashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Tangmashi

i fail to see the issueweezyfb

The issue is we don't use the G-word in America, apparently. As if German is a bad word along the lines of something like the N-word.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Danm_999

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

[QUOTE="DriftRS"]

Whether you think it's news worthy or not, as a public figure, the media picks up on it. dr_octagon

This is OT. We talk about what we want. It can't be buzzkill politics all the time.

Icould less for the kid, obviously he's not the smartest celebrity - he's only 16. But when you're famous, and you say something stupid, it sticks in people's heads.

I didn't say it had to be politics. Right now there are topics floating around about sport, movies, music, all topics of immensely more substance.
kidsmelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kidsmelly
Member since 2009 • 5692 Posts

He just need to release a track in German, that will show them.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lto_thaG

He just need to release a track in German, that will show them.

kidsmelly
Dear lord...
seabiscuit8686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 seabiscuit8686
Member since 2005 • 2862 Posts

DriftRS
Shed a tear for him. I tear I will never shed. The kid makes millions singing re-washed pop songs. He will never deal with adversity or have to work at anything in life.
SgtKevali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SgtKevali

[QUOTE="dr_octagon"]

[QUOTE="Danm_999"] Because they know we'll react. We're all as bad as each other (me as well).

Danm_999

Icould less for the kid, obviously he's not the smartest celebrity - he's only 16. But when you're famous, and you say something stupid, it sticks in people's heads.

I didn't say it had to be politics. Right now there are topics floating around about sport, movies, music, all topics of immensely more substance.

Why would anything like that have substance either? It's all fluff.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

So is Bieber truly the word for basketball in the german language? Oh and I saw the video and there was confusion about the question.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lto_thaG
So is Bieber truly the word for basketball in the german? Nifty_Shark
Not at all.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Danm_999

[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="dr_octagon"]

SgtKevali

Why would anything like that have substance either? It's all fluff.

I disagree. I think topic is so monumentally narrow and irrelevant I think even the most uninformed discussion about those other topics would be of more merit. Maybe I'm just jaded.
DriftRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DriftRS

[QUOTE="DriftRS"]

[QUOTE="Tangmashi"]

Tangmashi

No, sorry, I'm not stupid enough to misinterpret the meaning to what he said. He clearly asked if it was true or false that Bieber in German means Basketball.

Even with his Aussie accent I understood perfectly what he said, and you haven't even addressed his idiotic comment that we don't use words like that in America which actually confirms that he had no idea what German means because he's a numbskull.

You hate the kid in the first palce, and areclearly seeing what you want to see. The interviewer when asked to repeat the question states very very very clearly "Is German for basketball". If some guy of the street asked you "Is german for basketball" You'd assume he was asking you about your last name? Obviously beieber assumes "german" is some sort of slang, and states they don't use that in America. I'm unsure about you, but most Americans don't use that expression... it doesn't mean he has no idea what "German" means.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 weezyfb
link to the video?
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

link to the video?weezyfb

Here

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lto_thaG

[QUOTE="weezyfb"]link to the video?Nifty_Shark

Here

Well,he did show him the word...
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 weezyfb

[QUOTE="weezyfb"]link to the video?Nifty_Shark

Here

thanks. To respond to the Op i dont see the big deal.. people have brain farts all the time.
DriftRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DriftRS

[QUOTE="Nifty_Shark"]

[QUOTE="weezyfb"]link to the video?Lto_thaG

Here

ahh yeah, but the kid didn't have a problem with the word "german" he had a problem wit the phrase "Is German for basketball"

The question should have been worded "Does the name Beiber mean "Basketball" in german?". Not the way it was, especially not with the interviewers fumbling at the start and repeating of the question as being "IsGerman for basketball?"

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lto_thaG

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"][QUOTE="Nifty_Shark"]

Here

DriftRS

ahh yeah, but the kid didn't have a problem with the word "german" he had a problem wit the phrae "Is German for basketball"

I hope so.

Jinroh_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jinroh_basic
Member since 2002 • 6413 Posts

[QUOTE="DriftRS"]

Tangmashi

that question made absolutely no sense. not saying i like Bieber, but this interviewer needs a serious check about his job ethics.

dr_octagon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 dr_octagon

I didn't say it had to be politics. Right now there are topics floating around about sport, movies, music, all topics of immensely more substance.Danm_999

Didn't realize topics in OT were being judged on their content. (at least, in terms of relevancy)

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Danm_999

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

I didn't say it had to be politics. Right now there are topics floating around about sport, movies, music, all topics of immensely more substance.dr_octagon

Didn't realize topics in OT were being judged on their content. (at least, in terms of relevancy)

I'm not really that frustrated with the OT, more with the media circus surrounding it.
dr_octagon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dr_octagon

[QUOTE="dr_octagon"]

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

I didn't say it had to be politics. Right now there are topics floating around about sport, movies, music, all topics of immensely more substance.Danm_999

I'm not really that frustrated with the OT, more with the media circus surrounding it.

Yeah, so am I. I think it's been a big waste of time. Soooooo...

DriftRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DriftRS

[QUOTE="dr_octagon"]

[QUOTE="Danm_999"]

haha, sign into msn once in a while, the ammount of stupid news articles that pop up is insane, they can be rather ammusing sometimes though...

Tangmashi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Tangmashi

I do hate the ignorance shown by this 16 year old kid, and more so the people that defend it. I'm not taking him out of context, I'm using his own words. The interviewer even said 'German, german, you know german?'. Then he says he 'never heard that before, we don't say that in America.'

You're also just trying to win an argument by pinning me as prejudiced against this kid. I only heard of him about 2 weeks ago, but I am prejudiced against ignorance. Ignorance should be held accountable and ridiculed by everyone that knows what this kid said. I'm not taking him out of context, I'm using his own words. The interviewer even said 'German, german, you know german?'. Then he says he 'never heard that before, we don't say that in America.'

If he said Prussian, Barvarian or Saxon, well then I might understand, but still if he didn't then maybe he should have said 'Can you explain what said word means'? Nope, we don't say that in America, certainly I never have :roll:

my_mortal_coil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 my_mortal_coil
Member since 2009 • 2839 Posts

Who really knows what "German", "means" ... is German "German" for ""German""? Pfffft.

Who really knows what "Lybian" means? Or "Dominican" or "Canadian"?

Is basketball Beiber for "German"???? HUH!!!!

Peace I'm out *drops mic*

DriftRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DriftRS

I do hate the ignorance shown by this 16 year old kid, and more so the people that defend it. I'm not taking him out of context, I'm using his own words. The interviewer even said 'German, german, you know german?'. Then he says he 'never heard that before, we don't say that in America.'

You're also just trying to win an argument by pinning me as prejudiced against this kid. I only heard of him about 2 weeks ago, but I am prejudiced against ignorance. Ignorance should be held accountable and ridiculed by everyone that knows what this kid said. I'm not taking him out of context, I'm using his own words. The interviewer even said 'German, german, you know german?'. Then he says he 'never heard that before, we don't say that in America.'

If he said Prussian, Barvarian or Saxon, well then I might understand, but still if he didn't then maybe he should have said 'Can you explain what said word means'? Nope, we don't say that in America, certainly I never have :roll:

Tangmashi

He thought "German" was some expression, the interviewer used the word German as an adjective as in for example "That game was so German!" In which case, the kid did not know what "german" meant, and he never did "hear that before". The interviewer used the word German in a context that didn't make sense.

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
Urgh, give me back a minute of my life on this topic...