Judge: Kentucky must recognize same-sex marriage

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@lostrib said:

@themajormayor said:

@lostrib said:

@themajormayor said:

@Makhaidos said:

@themajormayor said:

@GazaAli: Apparently I'm a transphobe because I use the pronoun he for males who feel female. Or something.

You're a transphobe because you can't seem to understand that they are female, not "males who feel female."

Even if that was true then that would make me ignorant, not transphobic.

why not both

Why would it in itself be transphobic?

By purposely referring to men who have undergone treatment to become women as "he"?

In terms of Chromosomes, they're still technically male.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@themajormayor said:
@GazaAli said:

@Makhaidos said:

@GazaAli said:

@Makhaidos said:

@themajormayor said:

@GazaAli: Apparently I'm a transphobe because I use the pronoun he for males who feel female. Or something.

You're a transphobe because you can't seem to understand that they are female, not "males who feel female."

You're a male if you were born with male genitals, and a female if you were born with female genitals. That's about it as far as sex is concerned, the discussion on sexual classification ends right there and goes no further, and the distinction between "sex" and "gender" is quite ridiculous and flat out stupid.

No it isn't. Sex is between your legs and gender is between your ears. Just because you think it's stupid and plug your ears, going "lalalala" when the facts meet them, doesn't suddenly mean transgendered people don't exist or that sex and gender don't always match. It just makes you an idiot.

So explain to me on what ground does "gender" exist independent of sex.

Sex is between your legs. Gender is what you want between your legs.

not shit bro lol

Seriously I have no idea why those who are "pro transgenders" are so self-righteous and under the impression that their views on the matter are infallible and the absolute enlightenment. I can't see any inherent and backed validity in their point of view that would automatically render them right, rational and scientific while also rendering every other point of view that deviates from theirs as wrong, irrational and the acme of ignorance.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@Makhaidos said:

@GazaAli said:

@Makhaidos said:

@themajormayor said:

You're a male if you were born with male genitals, and a female if you were born with female genitals. That's about it as far as sex is concerned, the discussion on sexual classification ends right there and goes no further, and the distinction between "sex" and "gender" is quite ridiculous and flat out stupid.

No it isn't. Sex is between your legs and gender is between your ears. Just because you think it's stupid and plug your ears, going "lalalala" when the facts meet them, doesn't suddenly mean transgendered people don't exist or that sex and gender don't always match. It just makes you an idiot.

The same ground upon which the sense of self exists independent of sex.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#54 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts
@GazaAli said:

@Barbariser said:
@GazaAli said:

You're a male if you were born with male genitals, and a female if you were born with female genitals. That's about it as far as sex is concerned, the discussion on sexual classification ends right there and goes no further, and the distinction between "sex" and "gender" is quite ridiculous and flat out stupid. Now whatever funky stuff you'd like to do with your body is your choice but you can't change your sex, at least science hasn't progressed enough to make it possible and probably won't.

Leaving aside your ridiculous simplification of gender identity disorder and your off-hand dismissal of psychology, the main reason sane people call transsexuals by their gender because it's basic politeness. Transwomen consider themselves female, their brain basically tells them that they are female and people who actually study this issue say that transwomen are male-bodied with a female gender. Same if it's the other way round.

There's no damn reason not to call someone by the gender that they identify as and want to be called unless you're trying to be a pointlessly intransigent dickhead. It would be the same thing with other people who get screwed by biological circumstances like A.I.S. women. If someone actually went up to an A.I.S. woman and called them a man because they have male chromosomes and had male genitals inside their female-gendered female body, that person would be called a fucking asshole and rightfully so.

It's the same thing with transexuals - you can use something resembling biological logic to call a female gendered person a dude or a male gendered person a chick but it doesn't do anything other than annoy/hurt/anger the other person. Or you can do it like psychologists and/or non-assholes and not be pointlessly and purposelessly rude because it hardly takes any fucking effort.

If you go back to my post you'll realize that I was not addressing the issue of pronouns' choice when addressing transgender people. I was talking about the original premise or conviction of gender being something divisible from sex. If I knew a transgender, I'd probably call him whatever the hell he prefers me to out of courtesy as I'm generally speaking not too big on being a dickhead. How I personally perceive him however won't change and it does not have to by any rationale whatsoever.

Yes, you basically wrote "penis = male, vagina = female" and then argued that gender and sex are indistinguishable. Considering that this was a response to TMM who was explicitly being a douchebag about the issue, it looked a lot like you were arguing for him. But leaving that whole thing aside, it's utterly bizarre to think that gender and sex are not "divisible". Transsexuals as psychologists understand them cannot exist unless gender and sex are distinct from each other.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 GazaAli

@Makhaidos said:

@GazaAli said:

@Makhaidos said:

@GazaAli said:

@Makhaidos said:

@themajormayor said:

The same ground upon which the sense of self exists independent of sex.

Edgy.

The self can exist independent of its material manifestation, the body, but it does not contradict it. It exists within the limits of the human body and is directly tied to it and the extent of its ability and the nature of its biology. So if someone came to you and said I'm a divine being in the form of a human being, you'd most likely dismiss him as bat shit crazy or just delirious/demented.

Even if the explanation you provided was true, there's nothing scientific or infallible about it so virtually everyone can object to it and reject it altogether. So again I don't understand the self-righteousness of those who admit of the existence of the notion of gender and are fanatical in their efforts to silent any dissent or questioning of the validity of transsexualism.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 GazaAli

@Barbariser said:
@GazaAli said:

If you go back to my post you'll realize that I was not addressing the issue of pronouns' choice when addressing transgender people. I was talking about the original premise or conviction of gender being something divisible from sex. If I knew a transgender, I'd probably call him whatever the hell he prefers me to out of courtesy as I'm generally speaking not too big on being a dickhead. How I personally perceive him however won't change and it does not have to by any rationale whatsoever.

Yes, you basically wrote "penis = male, vagina = female" and then argued that gender and sex are indistinguishable. Considering that this was a response to TMM who was explicitly being a douchebag about the issue, it looked a lot like you were arguing for him. But leaving that whole thing aside, it's utterly bizarre to think that gender and sex are not "divisible". Transsexuals as psychologists understand them cannot exist unless gender and sex are distinct from each other.

I have a great respect for psychologists, but its in the nature of their science that it involves a lot of speculation and unverifiable theories. For instance, would it be possible for me to use that rationale and make the statement that schizophrenic people cannot exist unless there actually two persons inhabiting the same body?

I have no problem admitting of the fact that some people may encounter a problem or get confused in how they perceive their sexual identity, but the notion of "I'm a woman but was born a man so I need to change my sex" seems quite ridiculous and unfounded to me.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@themajormayor said:
@GazaAli said:

@Makhaidos said:

@GazaAli said:

@Makhaidos said:

@themajormayor said:

Sex is between your legs. Gender is what you want between your legs.

not shit bro lol

Seriously I have no idea why those who are "pro transgenders" are so self-righteous and under the impression that their views on the matter are infallible and the absolute enlightenment. I can't see any inherent and backed validity in their point of view that would automatically render them right, rational and scientific while also rendering every other point of view that deviates from theirs as wrong, irrational and the acme of ignorance.

Yeah it's this self-righteousness that bothers me. They're so smug about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#58 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

@jimkabrhel:

It's actually quite amazing how far things went forward just last year alone.

Not far enough:

http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/12/4817862/kansas-house-approves-response.html

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@bforrester420 said:

@lostrib said:

@themajormayor said:

@lostrib said:

@themajormayor said:

@Makhaidos said:

@themajormayor said:

why not both

By purposely referring to men who have undergone treatment to become women as "he"?

"You know what, i don't really give enough of a shit to argue this"

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 bforrester420

@lostrib said:

@bforrester420 said:

@lostrib said:

@themajormayor said:

@lostrib said:

@themajormayor said:

@Makhaidos said:

@themajormayor said:

why not both

"You know what, i don't really give enough of a shit to argue this"

I was just playing devil's advocate on that one. I haven't taken any biology course work since my freshman year of college (17 years ago), so I'll defer to your expertise on that one. I don't even know whether my statement about chromosomes was even factually correct.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 GazaAli

@bforrester420: It most likely is, since you can't "genetically engineer" a human being and alter his DNA. There's a reason why DNA is used in solving crimes as an unquestionable evidence.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By bforrester420

@GazaAli said:

@bforrester420: It most likely is, since you can't "genetically engineer" a human being and alter his DNA. There's a reason why DNA is used in solving crimes as an unquestionable evidence.

I just can't even remember whether the "XX" or "XY" are even present after sexual development occurs in gestation. I can't believe how much I've forgotten. I was going to major in biology (wanted to do physical therapy) until after my first semester Freshman year and now I can't even remember something I likely learned in junior high.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#63 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

In less than ten years Gay Marriage will be totally legal in the United States. I think by then Marijuana will be as well.

I wonder what ethnicity/culture will be conservatives next target after gays?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

Its fun seeing people post in a thread claiming they're tired of being called out on their intolerant beliefs. These threads are OPTIONAL. If you post your opinion you open yourself up to criticism (and any opinion against marriage equality or homosexuals in general deserves to be criticized).

A thread showing the rising tide of EQUALITY being met with people getting grumpy over it. Its actually quite pathetic.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 lostrib

@bforrester420 said:

@GazaAli said:

I just can't even remember whether the "XX" or "XY" are even present after sexual development occurs in gestation. I can't believe how much I've forgotten. I was going to major in biology (wanted to do physical therapy) until after my first semester Freshman year and now I can't even remember something I likely learned in junior high.

Yes, they are

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By lostrib

@GazaAli said:

DNA evidence isn't entirely unquestionable

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By HoolaHoopMan

@GazaAli said:

Of course you could genetically engineer human genomes to some extent. We eat genetically engineered plants and animals all the time.

I'm not quite sure how forensics plays into this, unless somehow you think that every DNA marker used to identified individuals could be changed let alone swapping sex chromosomes.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By themajormayor

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Its fun seeing people post in a thread claiming they're tired of being called out on their intolerant beliefs. These threads are OPTIONAL. If you post your opinion you open yourself up to criticism (and any opinion against marriage equality or homosexuals in general deserves to be criticized).

A thread showing the rising tide of EQUALITY being met with people getting grumpy over it. Its actually quite pathetic.

Is anyone in the thread actually grumpy over these news?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By HoolaHoopMan

@themajormayor said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Sarcastically butt hurt then.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#70 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts
@GazaAli said:

@Barbariser said:
@GazaAli said:

I have a great respect for psychologists, but its in the nature of their science that it involves a lot of speculation and unverifiable theories. For instance, would it be possible for me to use that rationale and make the statement that schizophrenic people cannot exist unless there actually two persons inhabiting the same body?

I have no problem admitting of the fact that some people may encounter a problem or get confused in how they perceive their sexual identity, but the notion of "I'm a woman but was born a man so I need to change my sex" seems quite ridiculous and unfounded to me.

You're thinking of MPD/DID and people do treat "bodies" with that condition as being inhabited by different and distinct personalities. Gender and sex are distinct and extremely blurry; after all by your original criteria, an AIS woman is a man. Transsexuals can perceive themselves to be of the opposite gender for a variety of reasons, one of which is having a brain that is structured like the brain of someone of the opposite gender. Naturally, personhood is in the mind and so is "gender".

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#71 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

@GazaAli said:

You're a male if you were born with male genitals, and a female if you were born with female genitals. That's about it as far as sex is concerned, the discussion on sexual classification ends right there and goes no further,

Lies

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By GazaAli

@HoolaHoopMan said:

@GazaAli said:

Of course you could genetically engineer human genomes to some extent. We eat genetically engineered plants and animals all the time.

I'm not quite sure how forensics plays into this, unless somehow you think that every DNA marker used to identified individuals could be changed let alone swapping sex chromosomes.

I was referring to the impossibility of altering the DNA of a living, already born, human being. Of course science can and is genetically engineering all kinds of basic cellular formations.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

@themajormayor said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Yes.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 themajormayor

@TacticalDesire said:

@themajormayor said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Yes.

Who?

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

@themajormayor said:

@TacticalDesire said:

@themajormayor said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Yes.

Who?

Limpbizkit seems at least irked by the news and its coverage.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#77 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

@lostrib said:

I thought DOMA says that states don't have to recognize out of state same-sex marriages?

And it looks like the federal government has now doomed Kentucky:

"This decision moves us down the slippery slope toward launching Kentucky into moral chaos and depriving children of their innate need of both a father and a mother," Chitwood said. "I pray the appeals process will honor the Commonwealth's constitution and protect her children."

I thought so too. And that was the section of DOMA that was upheld by the Supreme Court.