SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45125 Posts

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/jim-carrey-returning-sonic-the-hedgehog-3-dr-robotnik-1235894927/

We haven’t seen the last of Dr. Robotnik.

Jim Carrey will reprise his role as the mad scientist with the formidable facial hair in “Sonic the Hedgehog 3.” The news comes despite the fact that (and here there be spoilers) the second film in the series ended with Dr. Robotnik falling from a giant robot to the ground below, a potentially fatal tumble. In the film’s post-credits scene, however, it is revealed that Dr. Robotnik’s body has not been found, setting the stage for Sonic’s main antagonist to make a dramatic return.

The combined global box office for “Sonic the Hedgehog” and “Sonic the Hedgehog 2” stands at $870.8 million, hence the enthusiasm of Paramount, the studio behind the video game adaptations, for another installment in the franchise. The studio is also making a spin-off series, “Knuckles,'” that will premiere on Paramount+. Carrey’s return was teased on social media with the “Sonic” filmmakers releasing a teaser that included Dr. Robotnik’s distinctive cackle.

Jeff Fowler, who oversaw the first two movies, is returning as the director on the latest sequel. Neal H. Moritz, Toby Ascher, Toru Nakahara and Hitoshi Okuno will produce the film, which will open in theaters on Dec. 20, 2024.

Carrey is one of the most successful comic actors in movie history with box office hits that include “Ace Ventura: Pet Detective,” “Dumb and Dumber,” “The Mask” and “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.” He flexed his dramatic chops in “The Truman Show” and “Man on the Moon,” in which he played Andy Kaufman. He earned Golden Globe Awards for both movies. Carrey also appeared in “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind,” a surrealist romance that earned him some of the best reviews of his career. His most recent film role was “Sonic the Hedgehog 2.”

Oh snap... I thought he was done??

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7272 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: He said something along the lines of maybe coming back if angels descended from the heavens with an amazing script written in gold. Sooooo, this should be pretty good, right?

Anyway, glad he's back. Jim Carrey hamming it up was the best part of the first two movies.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1058 Posts

That's good to hear, wouldn't be the same without him.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58321 Posts

@judaspete: Not the biggest fan of Carrey, but he does ham it up pretty great. I can see his presence making or breaking a movie like this once he was established.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8224 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

@judaspete: Not the biggest fan of Carrey, but he does ham it up pretty great. I can see his presence making or breaking a movie like this once he was established.

Don't like his newer stuff, but Cable guy, Ace ventura, Liar Liar, he's got some gems.

Loading Video...

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23034 Posts

@mrbojangles25: Yeah, I mean, he's not subtle but that's not his game. He's one of the greatest manic physical comedians of all time. Sonic kind of needs that presence, there isn't enough character to carry it otherwise.

And that's coming from a guy who laments the loss of more subtle comedies to the perpetual over the top lunacy of modern comedies.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#7 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26101 Posts

He said he'd only come out of retirement if the script was good enough, so this is hopefully a good sign for Sonic 3!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58987 Posts

Will his buffoonery be sanctioned?

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

Lol. Not by Tommy Lee Jones, that's for sure.

If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend Jim and Andy. Best off skipping through the bits with the beard but it's a good watch. Miloš Forman had the patience of saints.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#10 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts

Can't have Sonic The Hedgehog 3 without Dr. Robotnik. Jim Carrey was hilarious in Sonic The Hedgehog, I need to see Sonic The Hedgehog 2 which I heard was better than the first film.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#11 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19552 Posts

It was kind of obvious he's coming back. Sonic 1 and 2 are his biggest movies in decades. It would be crazy not to return for Sonic 3.

But then again, he's 62. He could very well retire after Sonic 3. But I think he'll probably stick around for a few more movies before retiring.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 uninspiredcup

@sancho_panzer said:
@uninspiredcup said:

If you haven't seen it, I'd recommend Jim and Andy. Best off skipping through the bits with the beard but it's a good watch. Miloš Forman had the patience of saints.

Such a weird insult.

He worked with the latter on the ill-fated “Batman Forever,” in which he played the Riddler to Jones’ Harvey Dent/Two-Face. “I went over and I said, ‘Hey Tommy, how you doin’?’ and the blood just drained from his face like he had been thinking about me for 24 hours a day,” Carrey recalls.

"The maitre said, 'Oh, I hear you're working with Tommy Lee Jones. He's over in the corner having dinner.' I went over and I said, 'Hey Tommy, how are you doing?' and the blood just drained from his face. And he got up shaking—he must have been in mid-kill me fantasy or something like that. And he went to hug me and he said, 'I hate you. I really don't like you.' And I said, 'What's the problem?' and pulled up a chair, which probably wasn't smart. And he said, 'I cannot sanction your buffoonery.'"

awesome3496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 awesome3496
Member since 2008 • 2209 Posts

I'm so glad he's returning can't wait >.<

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
@uninspiredcup said:
@sancho_panzer said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Such a weird insult.

He worked with the latter on the ill-fated “Batman Forever,” in which he played the Riddler to Jones’ Harvey Dent/Two-Face. “I went over and I said, ‘Hey Tommy, how you doin’?’ and the blood just drained from his face like he had been thinking about me for 24 hours a day,” Carrey recalls.

"The maitre said, 'Oh, I hear you're working with Tommy Lee Jones. He's over in the corner having dinner.' I went over and I said, 'Hey Tommy, how are you doing?' and the blood just drained from his face. And he got up shaking—he must have been in mid-kill me fantasy or something like that. And he went to hug me and he said, 'I hate you. I really don't like you.' And I said, 'What's the problem?' and pulled up a chair, which probably wasn't smart. And he said, 'I cannot sanction your buffoonery.'"

I don't think it was even intended as an insult, really, which is what makes it funny (to me, at least). What's amusing is the situation, and the discrepancy in the way these two characters interpret, confront and describe the world.

But you can over-explain and over-analyse a joke. Either it makes you laugh or it doesn't, and that's all that matters.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 uninspiredcup

@sancho_panzer: Read couple of interviews with Tommy Lee Jones. He isn't your typical bullshit smiles and pretend to be best buddies type. Completely avoids the spotlight. Goes into "normal people stores" and ignores people when they ask for autographs.

Difficult to work with, Schumacher swore never to work with him again. He also done the same with Val Kilmer who has an even worse rep, that's how we wound up with Cloony.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34616 Posts

Tommy Lee Jones was mad that everyone wasn't looking at him when Jim Carrey was around.

Proabably also annoyed that Jim is more talented than him. What Jim is doing is way harder than what Tommy is doing. Jim can act all kinds of shit. Tommy can act Tommy.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jag85

What's this whole Carrey vs Tommy beef about?

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sancho_Panzer

@uninspiredcup: Ah, I have no idea to be honest.

Actors. They're another species AFAIC.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 uninspiredcup

@Jag85 said:

I think he simply found him annoying due to goofng around on set. Also a strong suggestion Danny Devito found him annoying.

When they were making Man On The Moon Carry would do weird shit pretending to actually be Andy Kaufman.

Loading Video...

Combine that was a grumpy serous actor who was only playing Two Face because his son liked it.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sancho_Panzer
@Jag85 said:

Loading Video...

He went on Norm Macdonald's show once, during a rough patch, and shared some stories. That was one of them. The whole interview was a bit excruciating (*psst* the find-it-if-you-can, unedited version is horrific, if you're into that kind of thing).

Poor Jim was understandably a little disillusioned by the experience.

Better never to meet your heroes.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Nice. He did much better in the role than expected.

GirlUSoCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GirlUSoCrazy
Member since 2015 • 1058 Posts

@sancho_panzer: That's a cool video, never saw it... damn that's harsh tho

RIP Norm MacDonald

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Are the first two Sonic movies actually worth a watch?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 uninspiredcup

@br0kenrabbit said:

If you're a die hard Sonic fan or a kid, I guess?

Otherwise completely forgettable rando family movie.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:
@br0kenrabbit said:

If you're a die hard Sonic fan or a kid, I guess?

Otherwise completely forgettable rando family movie.

meh

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8415 Posts
@Jag85 said:

It happened on a set of one of the Batman movies where they both played the villains.

Tommy Lee Jones anticipated being the star of the show, then his ego got wrecked when Jim Carrey stole the spotlight with his signature energy on the set, garnishing him the most attention.

Jim Carrey later ran into Tommy at a restaurant and he approached him expecting warm hugs, but Tommy stood up shaking and telling how much he hates Jim, and reasons why is where his famous line "I cannot sanction your buffoonery" came from.

At the end of the day Jim Carrey has stated he has nothing but love and respect for Tommy Lee Jones but unfortunately Tommy's damaged ego does not feel quite the same.

Poor Tommy.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By uninspiredcup

@jaydan: It was very bizarre to have Jim Carrey do Jim Carrey and have Tommy Lee Jones (Two Face) be a clone giggling and laughing. At that point more about being family friendly and selling toys.

Tommy Lee Jones think probably would have made a pretty good Two-Face, if it was Two-Face in a properly toned movie.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jag85
@jaydan said:
@Jag85 said:

It happened on a set of one of the Batman movies where they both played the villains.

Tommy Lee Jones anticipated being the star of the show, then his ego got wrecked when Jim Carrey stole the spotlight with his signature energy on the set, garnishing him the most attention.

Jim Carrey later ran into Tommy at a restaurant and he approached him expecting warm hugs, but Tommy stood up shaking and telling how much he hates Jim, and reasons why is where his famous line "I cannot sanction your buffoonery" came from.

At the end of the day Jim Carrey has stated he has nothing but love and respect for Tommy Lee Jones but unfortunately Tommy's damaged ego does not feel quite the same.

Reminds me of the biopic Amadeus. Mozart is depicted as a buffoon, whereas Salieri is depicted as a serious musician. And yet Mozart is a more talented prodigy and far more famous, so Salieri resents him out of jealousy.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sancho_Panzer

You guys are such shit-stirrers. 😂

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points