It makes me mad that guns now have such a bad reputation... yet undeservedly

• 141 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts

And now, people who have guns are now looked at and feared as some maniac who is pissed off... but it is quite the contrary.

Of course, there are some who truly are like that, but those must be one out of hundreds.

Do people realize that pretty much EVERYONE who buys a gun goes to a shooting range to shoot targets with it? Maybe because, oh, they don't want to kill anyone, and oh, they don't want to join the military? Just throwing that out there... Yet I watch as most of modern society thinks that LEGAL gun owners are devil children...

It's just like thinking that everyone who plays video games lives in their parent's basement, playing 24/7, refusing to get a job. Yet almost everyone who does play video games does NOT do that.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
People like to stereotype. It's nothing new
Avatar image for super_mario_128
super_mario_128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 super_mario_128
Member since 2006 • 23884 Posts
Guns are used by the minority for crimes that get loads of publicity, and because of that the population gets a misinformed opinion on the weapons. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to have weapons; the trouble is determining who these people are in time.
Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Leejjohno
Member since 2005 • 13897 Posts

I don't know dude. If I was in power I would make a general rule that if you "remove the object or person in question, you remove the problem", and if you "abuse it, you lose it". If gun crime was awful then I would ban all sale of fire arms to anybody who wasn't in law enforcement or an agency for the government, up the sentences for illegal gun users and have a constant shoot on sight curfew in gang neighborhoods for repeat offenders. My last proposition would be to relocate the criminal so that they no longer have the resources.

There would also be no such thing as police brutality. Think Mirrors Edge style government. Personally I think it would work well. Just wait until I am in power :D :wink:

Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
Lethal weapons should NOT be used to fool around with at shooting ranges or anywhere else, IMO.
FastNorwegian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FastNorwegian
Member since 2009 • 859 Posts
Well people see 1 incident, and think its gonnna happen again, and again. Some are just stupidly wired like that. And when Europeans tell you that guns are stupid, they are all jealous. I've been there, and now I get to shoot guns frequently, and say, "Na na na na na na, you are so jealous, ha ha ha ha ha ha."
Brainkiller05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Brainkiller05
Member since 2005 • 28954 Posts
You guys seem obsessed with guns.
FastNorwegian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FastNorwegian
Lethal weapons should NOT be used to fool around with at shooting ranges or anywhere else, IMO.jointed
They are only lethal when you give them to douchebags who are insane, have a criminal record, or just are douchebags. You obviously live in the city (stereotype) and never shot one before. Americans should be proud to own weapons. Its in their top 3 Amendments they fought and died from the Revolution to Now. Its a rich part of culture that most of the world doesn't allow anymore, and you should be very grateful to have such a liberty. I wanted to shoot a gun all my life, and almost 20 years later I got to shoot one due to luck of where I get a job.
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DivergeUnify
Lethal weapons should NOT be used to fool around with at shooting ranges or anywhere else, IMO.jointed
A hammer could be used as a lethal weapon
Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Leejjohno

[QUOTE="jointed"]Lethal weapons should NOT be used to fool around with at shooting ranges or anywhere else, IMO.FastNorwegian
They are only lethal when you give them to douchebags who are insane, have a criminal record, or just are douchebags. You obviously live in the city (stereotype) and never shot one before. Americans should be proud to own weapons. Its in their top 3 Amendments they fought and died from the Revolution to Now. Its a rich part of culture that most of the world doesn't allow anymore, and you should be very grateful to have such a liberty. I wanted to shoot a gun all my life, and almost 20 years later I got to shoot one due to luck of where I get a job.

most massacres happen because the people are very good at appearing sane. Until there is a long term fix there is a very good and definite short term one; don't sell guns.

You see gangs mostly shoot at each other, but giving the means to somebody who could get fired and lose the plot. Sane people get sectioned all the time you know.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127536 Posts
Your obsession with guns might have something to do with it...
Jewboy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jewboy25
Member since 2009 • 103 Posts
Its people who sell guns to criminals at garage sales and paper adds and flea markets thats wrong. nothing wrong with using them the right way,especially because they can be used for hunting, which is sometimes the only way to get food in a poor family.
Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Leejjohno

[QUOTE="jointed"]Lethal weapons should NOT be used to fool around with at shooting ranges or anywhere else, IMO.DivergeUnify

But it is a tool used to build things, a gun is a tool designed to shoot at living things, target practice is just there for the meantime.

FastNorwegian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FastNorwegian
I don't think they should be selled in the city, such as states like new yourk or california. but i think that places like wisconsin and kansas whrere there is farming, etc i think it is totally respectable to own a gun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]Lethal weapons should NOT be used to fool around with at shooting ranges or anywhere else, IMO.DivergeUnify

Hammers aren't designed to kill/hurt people and I've yet to see a person who thinks that it's amusing to go around and hit stuff with a hammer. Besides, comparing a hammer to a firearm is a tad far fetched.
ff7fan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ff7fan2
Member since 2006 • 31413 Posts
I'm mostly indifferent on the matter. I can see how people who sit on opposite sides of the fence think the way they do about the matter. Though I've shot a gun on quite a few occasions, so I believe it depends on the person who is wielding the weapon.
Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts
Of course, there are some who truly are like that, but those must be one out of hundreds.GodofBigMacs
Just one of those maniacs with a gun could kill all those hundreds. Personally I think the gun laws in America need serious review, they're archaic and are not suited to the modern world, but oh no, it's in the almighty amendments!
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DivergeUnify
[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"][QUOTE="jointed"]Lethal weapons should NOT be used to fool around with at shooting ranges or anywhere else, IMO.jointed

Hammers aren't designed to kill/hurt people and I've yet to see a person who thinks that it's amusing to go around and hit stuff with a hammer. Besides, comparing a hammer to a firearm is a tad far fetched.

that doesn't mean it's not comparably lethal and much more accessible
auron_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 auron_16
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts
why did i think you were talking about guns 'n roses?
Leejjohno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Leejjohno

[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="DivergeUnify"] A hammer could be used as a lethal weaponDivergeUnify

We should sell nukes to civillians as long as they are responsible adults then right?

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DivergeUnify

[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"][QUOTE="jointed"] Hammers aren't designed to kill/hurt people and I've yet to see a person who thinks that it's amusing to go around and hit stuff with a hammer. Besides, comparing a hammer to a firearm is a tad far fetched.Leejjohno

We should sell nukes to civillians as long as they are responsible adults then right?

yes because a handgun is comparable to a nuke...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFJjaj7pXsA

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfoQsZa8F1c

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"][QUOTE="jointed"]Lethal weapons should NOT be used to fool around with at shooting ranges or anywhere else, IMO.jointed

The only reason the comparison is "far fetched" is because more people own hammers.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
Mm, who'd have thought that something designed for killing people would end up with a bad reputation?
entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"][QUOTE="jointed"] Hammers aren't designed to kill/hurt people and I've yet to see a person who thinks that it's amusing to go around and hit stuff with a hammer. Besides, comparing a hammer to a firearm is a tad far fetched.Leejjohno

guns=hammers=nukes

:lol:

I love this place!

FastNorwegian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FastNorwegian

Nukes are totally irrelevant. Selling them to civilians is absurd. You are either super left, or super sarcastic, because that has nothing to do with guns. Totally irrelevant, and for that matter, why would you bring it up?
entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 entropyecho

Mm, who'd have thought that something designed for killing people would end up with a bad reputation?Funky_Llama

Are you against hunting?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MrGeezer

Mm, who'd have thought that something designed for killing people would end up with a bad reputation?Funky_Llama

Who'd have thought that something designed for feeding the family would end up with a bad reputation?

FastNorwegian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FastNorwegian
If you knew anything, they were designed for hunting -_-
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
Same thing as if you play videogames you're a nerd and if you have lots of cats you're a crazy lady. It's not like this is hindering your hobbies at all.
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 horgen  Moderator

guns=hammers=nukes

:lol:

I love this place!

entropyecho
:lol: I agree. I wonder what the next thing we will see is :P
KOTORkicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 KOTORkicker
Member since 2007 • 4595 Posts
So people are wrong for being suspicious of instruments of death?
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 horgen  Moderator
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Mm, who'd have thought that something designed for killing people would end up with a bad reputation?FastNorwegian

To kill what you hunt... Designed to kill....
Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts

to be a responsible gun owner, all you have to do is not point it at people. being a responsible nuke owner is a completely different thing.
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Sajo7
[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Mm, who'd have thought that something designed for killing people would end up with a bad reputation?FastNorwegian

I have no problem with guns, but that's a tad unrealistic. You're right, technically, but seriously, you're not going to see a robber refuse to use a gun because it's just a hunting tool, they're pretty good at killing people.
FastNorwegian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FastNorwegian
So people are wrong for being suspicious of instruments of death?KOTORkicker
Instruments of food and survival.* If everyone owned a gun, there would be alot less crime. Criminals would be shot more, and if you let someone in your house, you would be more responsible for letting them rape and pillage your family while you cried and did nothing. Not saying it will happen, saying it could tho :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="DivergeUnify"] A hammer could be used as a lethal weaponMrGeezer

The only reason the comparison is "far fetched" is because more people own hammers.

Or it's because using a gun can't be compared to using a hammer. At all. Sure, if people want to have them for self-defense, that's one thing, but don't try to use the "most people only want to have fun!" argument as a valid point.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="FastNorwegian"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Mm, who'd have thought that something designed for killing people would end up with a bad reputation?horgen123

lol So now eating is wrong! :lol:

sparkypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 sparkypants
Member since 2007 • 2609 Posts
Im sorry sir but the human race has clearly proven to us that they cant handle fire arms responsibly. I mean its fine for people to have a handgun in their house for protection, and maybe a rifle for hunting(and by hunting I mean for SURVIAL not just for game). However you have gangs, you have robberies, you have hunters killing for game(which is the equivalent of taking a human life for no reason) and you have the military playing with firearms to see how many lives they can take with a single shot. So because humans let there obsession with guns go out of hand I think the reputation guns have gotten is pretty well deserving.
entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 entropyecho

to be a responsible gun owner, all you have to do is not point it at people. being a responsible nuke owner is a completely different thing.Xeros606

:lol: "responsible nuke owner"

So it's ok to point nukes at people? :P

JabbaDaHutt30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JabbaDaHutt30
Member since 2009 • 370 Posts

All guns?! :lol:
FastNorwegian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 FastNorwegian
[QUOTE="FastNorwegian"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Mm, who'd have thought that something designed for killing people would end up with a bad reputation?Sajo7

I have no problem with guns, but that's a tad unrealistic. You're right, technically, but seriously, you're not going to see a robber refuse to use a gun because it's just a hunting tool, they're pretty good at killing people.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Guns are objects with no morals. Its the people, and you should be able to regulate whoever owns one. i.e. High IQ, No Criminal Record, Sanity...etc.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="jointed"] Hammers aren't designed to kill/hurt people and I've yet to see a person who thinks that it's amusing to go around and hit stuff with a hammer. Besides, comparing a hammer to a firearm is a tad far fetched.jointed

Or it's because using a gun can't be compared to using a hammer. At all. Sure, if people want to have them for self-defense, that's one thing, but don't try to use the "most people only want to have fun!" argument as a valid point.

Ever hit someone in the head hit a hammer? It's JUST as lethal as shooting them.

Then we can go on about all of the massive numbers of lethal knives that most people have sittiing in their kitchens. Aren't knives, in fact, one of the most common murder weapons?

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
Only reason I think owning a fire-arm is appropriate is for home defense. Only one is needed, and it doesn't need to be a of a large caliber. I don't think people should be allowed to go out and buy a Desert Eagle .50 or the like. It just isn't necessary for anything.
entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 entropyecho

If everyone owned a gun, there would be alot less crime. Criminals would be shot more, and if you let someone in your house, you would be more responsible for letting them rape and pillage your family while you cried and did nothing. Not saying it will happen, saying it could tho :PFastNorwegian

If everyone owned guns, I would argue the rule of law would be rendered useless; people would take the law into their own hands. Six-shooters > due process :(

Jewboy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Jewboy25
Member since 2009 • 103 Posts

[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"][QUOTE="jointed"]Lethal weapons should NOT be used to fool around with at shooting ranges or anywhere else, IMO.Leejjohno

But it is a tool used to build things, a gun is a tool designed to shoot at living things, target practice is just there for the meantime.

a gun is a tool designed to shoot at living things, then you eat it to stay alive. unless its human, at that case you dont shoot it and you certainly dont eat it
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="FastNorwegian"][QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Mm, who'd have thought that something designed for killing people would end up with a bad reputation?Sajo7

And you're not going to see a robber refuse to use a hammer because it's a carpentry tool.

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sajo7
[QUOTE="Sajo7"] I have no problem with guns, but that's a tad unrealistic. You're right, technically, but seriously, you're not going to see a robber refuse to use a gun because it's just a hunting tool, they're pretty good at killing people.FastNorwegian
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Guns are objects with no morals. Its the people, and you should be able to regulate whoever owns one. i.e. High IQ, No Criminal Record, Sanity...etc.

You're right, people kill people. I'm fine with people owning guns. But I think the idea that guns aren't meant to kill is just absurd. What it comes down to is that you point it at the thing you want to maim/kill. :P
horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 horgen  Moderator

[QUOTE="horgen123"][QUOTE="FastNorwegian"] If you knew anything, they were designed for hunting -_-MrGeezer

lol So now eating is wrong! :lol:

Didn't say that.... I didn't even say what they were designed to kill... I guess I should assume that you buy handguns for hunting, to get food to survive? :P
raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts

[QUOTE="Sajo7"][QUOTE="FastNorwegian"] If you knew anything, they were designed for hunting -_-MrGeezer

And you're not going to see a robber refuse to use a hammer because it's a carpentry tool.

Your also not going to see a psychopath bust down the door and come in wielding a hammer.... Sure a hammer can be used to kill, anything can. But is it as deadly as 9mm handgun with 15 rounds, each round capable of taking a life? Certainly not. The whole argument is stupid.
xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
You're sig really fits in well with your post, hahaha.