It is the end of the year, how is your Mental health/emotional stability?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

The holidays are a hard time for a lot of people, and as seen in a prior thread this is a rough year for a lot of people. Not to mention, on a personal level this is the most anti-social OT has ever been on as a board, and I feel like users don't get to know each other as much. We all have varied backgrounds and life experiences, and I just wanna know how everyone is doing.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Mercenary848

This year I experienced more personal growth then I thought possible. When I first came to college my confidence shot up, and by the time I transferred to a bigger school I thought it had peaked. I went through a rough time, but I have learned so much that I have an appreciation for personal development and feel that I can always increae my self esteem with time.

I am graduating in May, and I am nervous but feel strangely at peace at the same time. So emotionally I am doing good, just always alert.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Life is pretty good. Thanks for asking.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#4 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Life is good, I got my health and my family....no complaints.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

I've got a potential surgery I need to schedule and I'm being a wuss about it. I hyper-extended my ankle a few months back and toughed it out without seeing a doc. Apparently that was the wrong thing to do.

Other than that things are going swimmingly, but I'm stressing over the above.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'm on vacation for three weeks. I'm spending it all at home. Some relatives are here for the holidays. So, the house is like a hen house. It's noisy all the time except past midnight. But, that's part of being a family.

No stress. No worries. We're still somewhat in recovery after losing two loved ones Christmas 2014/New Year 2015. Plus, the wife lost another aunt last summer. But, you know. Family and kin draw closer together and life goes on.

wswedin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 wswedin
Member since 2006 • 198 Posts

I came out of the closet and my wife and I will be filing for divorce soon, so that is up and down I suppose. I am excited and scared for the future... but my wife and I are still best friends, and she would stay married to me if I wanted to. It was a hard decision but I think it is for the best.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

Rock solid as always.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 luckylucious
Member since 2015 • 1198 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

Life is pretty good. Thanks for asking.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

To be honest, I get a bit down during this season. A lot of friends and family have been dying in November-December over the last few years, and I just lost my final grandparent yesterday.

luckylucious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By luckylucious
Member since 2015 • 1198 Posts

No Caption Provided

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

@wswedin said:

I came out of the closet and my wife and I will be filing for divorce soon, so that is up and down I suppose. I am excited and scared for the future... but my wife and I are still best friends, and she would stay married to me if I wanted to. It was a hard decision but I think it is for the best.

Wow man. Holy crap. Good luck!

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I'm actually in a fairly hopeful place right now.

Since 20 I've been fighting a severe chronic illness on and off and the emotional and psychological stress that comes along with it. I stopped treatment for good a year and a half ago (I'm now 39) and have been in school ever since pursuing an English degree, though I really didn't know any particular goal that I wanted from it. Just recently I discovered from a counselor a certificate program to become a pharmacy technician. Pays about $30/hour and requires an internship upon completion of prerequisites, but it will allow me to get away from my parents which is the only thing in the world I care about presently. I can complete it in about three semesters, and that means I'll have my independence in about a year or two (I've some debt to pay off, as well as save up).

Just the thought of that makes me smile when I get up in the morning and gives me immense motivation. This has been a tremendous emotional boost as I'm sick and tired of constantly being sick and tired, being disrespected by the ignorant, and it's a means to my moving on and having MY own life. I'm essentially where people are in their early-mid 20s at nearly 40, but it is what it is.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MirkoS77

@wswedin: wow, that takes some serious courage. Kudos, hope it works out for you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

I want more and I'll work to get mine.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mercenary848

@MirkoS77 said:

Since 20 I've been fighting a severe chronic illness on and off and the emotional and psychological stress that comes along with it. I stopped treatment for good a year and a half ago (I'm now 39) and have been in school ever since pursuing an English degree, though I really didn't know any particular goal that I wanted from it. Just recently I discovered from a counselor a certificate program to become a pharmacy technician. Pays about $30/hour and requires an internship upon completion of prerequisites, but it will allow me to get away from my parents which is the only thing in the world I care about presently. I can complete it in about three semesters, and that means I'll have my independence in about a year or two (I've some debt to pay off, as well as save up).

Just the thought of that makes me smile when I get up in the morning and gives me immense motivation. This has been a tremendous emotional boost as I'm sick and tired of constantly being sick and tired, being disrespected by the ignorant, and it's a means to my moving on and having MY own life. I'm essentially where people are in their early-mid 20s at nearly 40, but it is what it is.

Hey, do not feel bad. Life is nonlinear and you can't measure it in terms of progress or "I should be here at this stage". You had a rough experience with being sick, but it did nt break and you are still pursuing education. I used to feel bad because I am graduating late(I am 24 and will graduate this may) but once I took a step back and realized it does not matter because there are no rules for where you should be in life.

Good luck with the certificate

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mercenary848

@wswedin said:

Wow, I respect that a lot. I am glad you are living true to yourself.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:

The holidays are a hard time for a lot of people, and as seen in a prior thread this is a rough year for a lot of people. Not to mention, on a personal level this is the most anti-social OT has ever been on as a board, and I feel like users don't get to know each other as much. We all have varied backgrounds and life experiences, and I just wanna know how everyone is doing.

Any time is what you make it, and this time is the same as any other before and after.

And life is what you make it, so i chose to have a good life.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

I'm doing okay on a personal level. I'm getting married next year (April 22), college is going alright, I got a permanent full time job at a local newspaper company where I'm doing IT work, and I really love that it's for a news organization because helping people get information is something I can be proud of, and I'm getting things organized to eventually buy a house.

On a less personal level I find myself worried about the results of this latest election and the many consequences that may come from it. Furthermore I see society in general a bit differently than I used to, and that's very disconcerting.

wswedin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 wswedin

@Mercenary848: Thanks. That is what I tell people all the time, I am just trying to be true to myself. The worst part about it is I can't feel the pain she feels about the divorce and that leads to illogical guilt. She is my best friend, but to her I was more than that... so it hurts her so much more. Thanks to MirkoS77 and schu as well. She is being supportive but it is so incredibly hard for her, she considered me her soul mate... bah. Anyway my situation isn't that uncommon, to add more fun to the scenario I am also Mormon and live in Utah lol

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Rock solid. Going back to hang out with the family for a few days and them I will spend the remainder of the year with friends.

wswedin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wswedin

@Serraph105: Good to hear! I am worried about Trump as well, he could be disastrous for scientists like me :( I do Earth Science and he wants to cut ALL funding to that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

Bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I have the things I need - a place, a car, a job, a phone, friends, the support of my family, and the Internet and a 3DS to keep me occupied.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

My state of mind is the same as its been for the past 15 years, feeling like I've been thrown in my own personal hell but trudging through the mud with a smile on my face....

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

The same way I've been feeling for the past 15 years.

Like shit.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MirkoS77

@Mercenary848 said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Hey, do not feel bad. Life is nonlinear and you can't measure it in terms of progress or "I should be here at this stage". You had a rough experience with being sick, but it did nt break and you are still pursuing education. I used to feel bad because I am graduating late(I am 24 and will graduate this may) but once I took a step back and realized it does not matter because there are no rules for where you should be in life.

Good luck with the certificate

Thanks.

I realize life isn't linear, but it sure feels as such when all of my peers are progressing. Having families, buying homes, advancing in their careers, etc. There's a lot of judgement from people when you don't measure up to where they are in life, and as much as I'd like to admit it's not hurtful, it is. My illness is also not outwardly apparent (you'd never suspect I was sick until I remove my shirt) so this breeds ignorant assumptions.

Congrats on your graduation! :)

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

I got diagnosed with schizophrenia a few months ago-- so that was pretty cool. Being medicated now, but yeah.