Isn't gamespot in clear violation of the first amendment with it's tos?

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blackblade_Inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Blackblade_Inc
Member since 2004 • 1967 Posts

Frankly surrendering full capacity of speech to a gaming site with such stringent policies is absurd. Although some of the rules provide utility in a minuscule view the majority are nothing more than a gag order imposed on the users of the site. Frankly, the quality of posts takes a severe plunge due to the restriction of opinion and free speech (much akin to a dictatorship) and this is easy to see if you compare activity prior to the revised restrictions. Honestly, im rather flabbergasted people even put up or bother posting at such an abomination of a message board. The forum in a nutshell has simply degenerated into nothing more than adull lifeless overmoderated pool ofconversation. The lack of leaway is appalling and goes to show the ruthless nature of several moderators and administrators (some of whom may possibly suffer from inferiority complexes and will with no doubt take offense). Of course the very fact that a topic such as this has started means relatively nothing in the magnanimous face of cnet and it's respected affiliates, this thread will simply be locked (with no good reason mind you, despite the fact it's in off topic, and provides a source of intelligent conversation) I will be suspended (perhaps permanently, though honestly it's quite pointless with dynamic ip's these days) and the few who will voice an opinion will also be moderated. Thus in point showing that this site restricts all thought contrary to it's TOS and any criticismfor or againstit. So only one question remains, how can the American visitors of this site possibly relish the action of posting here when their freedoms are ripped from them by a faceless corporation? How can ANY people of free speech not just Americans mind you show no outrage to such a site? In addition, I should add that I simply wish to hear the opinions voiced by the sites visitors whether or not such a message board is constitutionally sound (unfortunately I've gone off tangent a few times, therefore the post is a little muddled, neverminding the fact this thread will be locked before any fruits can be harvested from it).

AcronymnsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 AcronymnsFTW
Member since 2009 • 475 Posts
It's a private site, not a public site. You have the right not to post on gamespot.
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
No....you're partaking in a private enterprise....by agreeing to post on here you are agreeing to follow their rules....rights are not absolute....
-Chimera-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Chimera-
Member since 2009 • 1852 Posts
Their site. Their terms. I think the ToS is terribly worded and vague, and I hate the censorship, but I'm still willing to post here.
DrSponge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 DrSponge
Member since 2008 • 12763 Posts
Not at all...it's a private website.
Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
Didn't even bother reading...now they aren't, its a private enterprise, they can do what they want, the ammendment is to keep the government from taking away your freedom of speech...not a website...
Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Wolls
Member since 2005 • 19119 Posts

Well would you really feel better if everyone trolled or just cursed in every post. Honestly man you need to grow up and if you cant do that then go somewhere else.

Avatar image for deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 deactivated-60678a6f9e4d4
Member since 2007 • 10077 Posts

There shouldn't be an apostrophe in the word "its" in your title. :x

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts

*walks over to door*

Nothing has binded you to this site....you do not like it, leave.

I see no problem with the TOS...have a little basic human decency and things will be fine. The only reason the mods are so strict is because kids generate a lot of traffic on this site.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
Didn't bother reading, please put it into paragraphs next time.. Wall of texts are daunting.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178872 Posts

No. The amendments apply to government not private entities.:|

bronxxbombers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 bronxxbombers
Member since 2009 • 2840 Posts
Nope. This isnt America, its Gamespot.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
:lol: It's not like anybody is forcing you to post on Gamespot.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
If this were a .gov site, or if the government put sanctions on GS telling us to not talk about certain things, then your post would be a good assessment of the situation. However, no one's rights are being violated, because as a visitor to this website, you are basically a visitor on CBS Interactive property. It's like when you go to someone's house and they tell you that they will throw you out if you get unruly, get drunk, or are disrespectful. So basically, you're getting angry over the wrong problem.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#16 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Man, sometimes the level of legal knowledge of Americans really dumbfounds me. Gamespot is a private institution.
IndigoSunrise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 IndigoSunrise
Member since 2009 • 1141 Posts

Frankly surrendering full capacity of speech to a gaming site with such stringent policies is absurd. Although some of the rules provide utility in a minuscule view the majority are nothing more than a gag order imposed on the users of the site. Frankly, the quality of posts takes a severe plunge due to the restriction of opinion and free speech (much akin to a dictatorship) and this is easy to see if you compare activity prior to the revised restrictions. Honestly, im rather flabbergasted people even put up or bother posting at such an abomination of a message board. The forum in a nutshell has simply degenerated into nothing more than adull lifeless overmoderated pool ofconversation. The lack of leaway is appalling and goes to show the ruthless nature of several moderators and administrators (some of whom may possibly suffer from inferiority complexes and will with no doubt take offense). Of course the very fact that a topic such as this has started means relatively nothing in the magnanimous face of cnet and it's respected affiliates, this thread will simply be locked (with no good reason mind you, despite the fact it's in off topic, and provides a source of intelligent conversation) I will be suspended (perhaps permanently, though honestly it's quite pointless with dynamic ip's these days) and the few who will voice an opinion will also be moderated. Thus in point showing that this site restricts all thought contrary to it's TOS and any criticismfor or againstit. So only one question remains, how can the American visitors of this site possibly relish the action of posting here when their freedoms are ripped from them by a faceless corporation? How can ANY people of free speech not just Americans mind you show no outrage to such a site? In addition, I should add that I simply wish to hear the opinions voiced by the sites visitors whether or not such a message board is constitutionally sound (unfortunately I've gone off tangent a few times, therefore the post is a little muddled, neverminding the fact this thread will be locked before any fruits can be harvested from it).

Blackblade_Inc
No but its a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment.
Zerocrossings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Zerocrossings
Member since 2006 • 7988 Posts

And not everyone in the world practicespromotes first amendment..

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MAILER_DAEMON
[QUOTE="Blackblade_Inc"]

IndigoSunrise

Dangit! Why won't GameSpot let me carry a gun on the premises? :evil:
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23053 Posts
Man, sometimes the level of legal knowledge of Americans really dumbfounds me. Gamespot is a private institution.Vandalvideo
Let's be fair now. Clearly the TC doesn't represent the average American.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="IndigoSunrise"] No but its a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment.

The right to bear arms? 0_o
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MAILER_DAEMON
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="IndigoSunrise"] No but its a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment.

The right to bare arms? 0_o

Cover them arms up, now! :o So indecent...
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

TC, I agree with most everything you said, however as others have pointed out this is a private message board and CNET has the right to moderate as it does withint the ToU. I know the Supreme Court has roundly rejected prior restraint, but this isn't a First Amendment thing, man.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Omni-Slash
[QUOTE="IndigoSunrise"] No but its a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment.Vandalvideo

no no no no no....it['s the right to arm bears......totally different thing...
IndigoSunrise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 IndigoSunrise
[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"][QUOTE="IndigoSunrise"][QUOTE="Blackblade_Inc"]

Dangit! Why won't GameSpot let me carry a gun on the premises? :evil:

Also. Why won't Gamespot let me own slaves? I don't recall that being in the bill of rights!
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LJS9502_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 178872 Posts

[QUOTE="IndigoSunrise"] No but its a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment.Vandalvideo

Obviously Gamespot is not allowing us to bear arms. Very crafty of them.....who'd have thought a website had such power. Must be subliminal messaging in the game reviews.:o

Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Wolls
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="IndigoSunrise"] No but its a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment.Omni-Slash

I thought i was the right to have bear's arms, man this is so confusing :?
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Vandalvideo
[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="IndigoSunrise"] No but its a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment.Omni-Slash

I demand a revolution
Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Omni-Slash
I demand a revolution  Vandalvideo
Bear's Rights Now!.......
IndigoSunrise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 IndigoSunrise

[QUOTE="Vandalvideo"][QUOTE="IndigoSunrise"] No but its a clear violation of the 2nd Amendment.MAILER_DAEMON
The right to bare arms? 0_o

Cover them arms up, now! :o So indecent...

HAHAHAHA try and stop me now!

Mid-1945 produced M1911A1 U.S. Army semi-automatic pistol by Remington Rand. This one was re-built by Anniston Army Depot, October 1972, and carries the ANAD 1072 stamp. The cartridges shown are the .45 ACP (left) and 7.65 mm Browning/.32 ACP (right).

File:Shotgunslaidout.jpg

File:M16a1m16a2m4m16a45wi.jpg

USA! USA! USA! To arms men! To arms! The revolution will not be telivised!

AcronymnsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AcronymnsFTW
I just remembered that South Park episode. Oh I'm sorry I thought this was America.
Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Wolls
I just remembered that South Park episode. Oh I'm sorry I thought this was America.  AcronymnsFTW
Wait is that the one with the little leage?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

Blackblade_Inc

Uh...what?!

Gamespot hasn't ripped any of my freedoms from me. Before being allowed to post here, we all voluntarily agreed to a contract. We AGREED to follow the TOS in exchange for the ability to post here, and Gamespot has the right to suspend us accordingly. Apparently you don't know what free speech means, because this is anything BUT a first amendment issue.

Hey, when you're at work, do you think that you have the right to insult your customers without getting fired? Is THAT a violation of the first amendment as well?

Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 Eddie5vs1
Member since 2004 • 6085 Posts
It's a private site, not a public site. You have the right not to post on gamespot.AcronymnsFTW
Exactly. There's a huge difference between private and public domains. If you want to use GS you have to agree to their ToU. If you don't agree with it you have the right not to use their site, it's that simple.
AcronymnsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AcronymnsFTW
[QUOTE="AcronymnsFTW"]I just remembered that South Park episode. Oh I'm sorry I thought this was America.  Wolls

Yes, where Randy beats up other fathers. Oh I'm sorry I thought this was America, I thought I was in America.
IndigoSunrise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 IndigoSunrise
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="Blackblade_Inc"]

Uh...what?!

Gamespot hasn't ripped any of my freedoms from me. Before being allowed to post here, we all voluntarily agreed to a contract. We AGREED to follow the TOS in exchange for the ability to post here, and Gamespot has the right to suspend us accordingly. Apparently you don't know what free speech means, because this is anything BUT a first amendment issue.

Hey, when you're at work, do you think that you have the right to insult your customers without getting fired? Is THAT a violation of the first amendment as well?

Yes it is. Maybe you like living in Nazi Russia where you can't call your boss a bunch of insults but here in Murica we don't play that sort of game buddy.
Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Eddie5vs1
I just remembered that South Park episode. Oh I'm sorry I thought this was America.AcronymnsFTW
It is America, and again you have the right not to use the site.
JesusFreak1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 JesusFreak1990
Member since 2007 • 1298 Posts

Why would we get so angry that there is no free speech? There's no reason to get angry about it, it is made clear when joining this site that you will not have free speech, and by agreeing with the TOU (which you cannot join until you do), you accept these terms.

Besides, the reasons for the rule are good, it helps keep this place safe, fun, and family friendly. If that is not what one desires, there are other game sites out there with no rules.

AcronymnsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AcronymnsFTW
[QUOTE="IndigoSunrise"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

[QUOTE="Blackblade_Inc"]

Uh...what?!

Yes it is. Maybe you like living in Nazi Russia where you can't call your boss a bunch of insults but here in Murica we don't play that sort of game buddy.

You can't insult your boss. It'd be "workplace harassment" and depending on what you said. "Sexual harassment"
Wolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Wolls
[QUOTE="Wolls"][QUOTE="AcronymnsFTW"]I just remembered that South Park episode. Oh I'm sorry I thought this was America.  AcronymnsFTW

Yes, where Randy beats up other fathers. Oh I'm sorry I thought this was America, I thought I was in America.

But he saves the day in the end :P, i love that episode. :D
AcronymnsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AcronymnsFTW

[QUOTE="AcronymnsFTW"]I just remembered that South Park episode. Oh I'm sorry I thought this was America.Eddie5vs1

I was quoting Randy Marsh, read my original post, the first reply :)

Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Eddie5vs1

[QUOTE="Eddie5vs1"][QUOTE="AcronymnsFTW"]I just remembered that South Park episode. Oh I'm sorry I thought this was America.AcronymnsFTW

I was quoting Randy Marsh, read my original post, the first reply :)

Woops, sorry I confused you with the TC. :P I actually quoted you and agreed with you on the previous page. Again, sorry. :)
Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#43 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts

Honestly, im rather flabbergasted people even put up or bother posting at such an abomination of a message board. Blackblade_Inc
Say what? 1969 posts to draw that conclusion.

I find the TOS vague and moderation prone to bias, just the same with each moderation or suspension I adjust the things I will or won't post accordingly, there are plenty of people here that are insightful or fun, if I think a topic is stupid or I have no input I just stay out of it.

Could you imagine the poo storm of negativity this place would become without any moderators? Just look at the nonsensical posts on youtube or foxsports and you may have a renewed appreciation for GS forums.

Eddie5vs1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Eddie5vs1

[QUOTE="Blackblade_Inc"]Honestly, im rather flabbergasted people even put up or bother posting at such an abomination of a message board. Second_Rook

Say what? 1969 posts to draw that conclusion.

I find the TOS vague and moderation prone to bias, just the same with each moderation or suspension I adjust the things I will or won't post accordingly, there are plenty of people here that are insightful or fun, if I think a topic is stupid or I have no input I just stay out of it.

Could you imagine the poo storm of negativity this place would become without any moderators? Just look at the nonsensical posts on youtube or foxsports and you may have a renewed appreciation for GS forums.

Agreed. I've been a member of other forums over the years and GS's is the only one I've stuck with due to rampant and unpunished flaming and trolling.
way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

People from around the world can post here. Not everyone has a first ammendment. Thats the problem the government and large enterprises have with the internet. Controlling the internet would solve a lot of problems and annoyances for them.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

People from around the world can post here. Not everyone has a first ammendment. Thats the problem the government and large enterprises have with the internet. Controlling the internet would solve a lot of problems and annoyances for them.

way2funny

I think it's a little ironic how you included corporations in that statement when we are, in fact, talking about a corporation that is successfully controlling their corner of the internet.

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts

I've seen some bears pass through here with loaded guns. Why does Gamespot allow these types of transgressors to pass by?!?!?! I call this unfair!!!

Free_Marxet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Free_Marxet
Member since 2009 • 1549 Posts

Nope, its not part of the government. The first ammendment does not grant you freedom of speech everywhere you go. You wouldnt let someone to come into your house and tell you youre an idiot and let them stay or continue.

Same exact thing.

But I do think if a corporation gets money from government, then constitutional rights should apply. Gamespot does get money from the government, because its owned by cbs. CBS gets a ton of corporate welfare.

corwinn01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 corwinn01
Member since 2004 • 842 Posts

As soon as I read that I knew somebody would say something about paragraphs:lol: Predictable huh:roll:

Arab-man666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50 Arab-man666
Member since 2006 • 2244 Posts

The internet isn't the United States, and this is a private website at that, so yes, Gamespot can restrict everything we say and do here.

God, this Topic makes americans look like retards.