Is this a typical American middle class home?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By LittleAngryDog
Member since 2018 • 263 Posts

Could any of these houses be considered middle class or upper middle class? How much would a house like this cost in the state or city you live in?

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

I live near Miami a few blocks from the ocean. Those houses would probably be in the 1-2M range here. But it's just the location. An old small 2-3 bedroom house built in 50s or 60s and in disrepair would start at like 400K here.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

In Arizona, middle class is something like this. Most 2-story houses get really hot in summer. So, most residential houses are single-story:

$224,000.00

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/7994-E-Ragweed-Dr_Tucson_AZ_85710_M16649-13290#photo14

I think there is also a law that states the house color should blend with its desert surroundings. Hence, the desert tan color so common here. No gaudy paints or material.

Our house is similar to this except we have a 3-car garage and driveway. For a family of 4, it's adequate enough.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

OP: I think even in the cheapest areas of the country (of which I am very familiar with) that would still be considered 'upper middle' in my opinion. but unlikely lower upper in most places

if that answers the question

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LittleAngryDog

@bigfootpart2 said:

I live near Miami a few blocks from the ocean. Those houses would probably be in the 1-2M range here. But it's just the location. An old small 2-3 bedroom house built in 50s or 60s and in disrepair would start at like 400K here.

1 million? Jesus Christ! I thought that Florida had cheaper properties than many American states.

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LittleAngryDog

@jun_aka_pekto: Beautiful house for a house in the middle of the desert. Paying a 220k installment how much a middle-class wage earner should earn per year? Adding a wife who does not work and 1 child?

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LittleAngryDog

@tryit said:

OP: I think even in the cheapest areas of the country (of which I am very familiar with) that would still be considered 'upper middle' in my opinion. but unlikely lower upper in most places

if that answers the question

These two houses look a lot like the house pictured in the movie Home Alone. I think this house should be very expensive because as far as I remember it is located in Chicago.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

@littleangrydog: I moved from FL after 25 years there. My brother still lives there with a roommate because it's so expensive.

Those houses would be in the $300,000 range here in TN, in the rural areas. Much more near town. I don't know what middle class is anymore. I make twice as much as most people in my town and still not considered middle class.

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LittleAngryDog

@joshrmeyer:

@joshrmeyer said:

@littleangrydog: I moved from FL after 25 years there. My brother still lives there with a roommate because it's so expensive.

Those houses would be in the $300,000 range here in TN, in the rural areas. Much more near town. I don't know what middle class is anymore. I make twice as much as most people in my town and still not considered middle class.

I remember reading an article that said that the American middle class practically no longer existed. People have more than one job and family members also work by exponentially multiplying the annual household income.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TryIt

I wanted to sit outside!

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LittleAngryDog

@tryit said:

I wanted to sit outside!

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TryIt

seriously though I traded in my house for something like this and a pocket full left over

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12577 Posts

@littleangrydog: Yeah, household income is a funny thing when you're single lol. Society seems to make fun of people that live with their parents when they are older, but I'm starting to see why they do. Gonna be like Mexico soon, which maybe isn't a bad thing...(families living together to make ends meet).

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LittleAngryDog

@tryit:

@tryit said:

seriously though I traded in my house for something like this and a pocket full left over

There are some American states where trucks catch the girls' attention. If you have one of these you can do well in Texas if you understand what I mean.

Loading Video...

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

That's a very hard question to answer because it's entirely dependent on location. Houses like those pictured can be anywhere from 100k to 1m easily depending on where they are located. It would be better to measure based on price and then figure out where you can live within that price range.

@littleangrydog said:

@jun_aka_pekto: Beautiful house for a house in the middle of the desert. Paying a 220k installment how much a middle-class wage earner should earn per year? Adding a wife who does not work and 1 child?

To get an ideal rate on your mortgage, you'd need to be able to get your hands on about 20% of the total price as a down payment (44k) to pay as a lump sum up front. Remaining loan would then be for 176k, so assuming a 30 year fixed mortgage with a 4% interest rate you'd be looking at $840 for the base mortgage payment. Add another couple hundred for property tax and insurance and you'll probably be in the 1k to 1.1k a month range. American consumer Credit Counseling says that you probably shouldn't spend more than 35% of your total income on housing, so your after tax take home should be about 3k or more per month. Keeping the math simple, you'd be able to swing that on a 55k to 60k per year salary (55k per year divided by twelve months is 4,583.33 per month gross, then take another third off of that for taxes and you come out right above 3k).

-Byshop

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TryIt

@littleangrydog said:

@tryit:

@tryit said:

There are some American states where trucks catch the girls' attention. If you have one of these you can do well in Texas if you understand what I mean.

true story, even inside large cities people will buy these trucks even though they never tow anything with it.

anyway..I am a old dude about to retire in less than a year is why I have it

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LittleAngryDog

@Byshop: Could these houses be cheaper if they were sold in a small town or in a rural state?

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TryIt

@littleangrydog said:

@Byshop: Could these houses be cheaper if they were sold in a small town or in a rural state?

yup.

houses like you posted in some rural areas could go for as low as $150,000 I am guessing.

to give you an example, the place I am going to be retiring in the median house is $50,000, the city I came from the median house was $300,000+

now to be fair, the place I am living close to those houses are almost all falling over but I have seen one bedroom new home for $60,000 in great condition

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@littleangrydog said:

Absolutely, but the flip side of that is it may be harder to find a job that pays as much in those areas. It really just depends, but house value is really based more on location than anything else. The size of the lot and the quality of the house really just determine the value of that house relative to other houses in the same area. The balance is to try to find a cheap area to live that's not too far from somewhere that you'd be able to get a good job. Check out this article:

https://www.thestreet.com/story/12963546/1/the-12-absolutely-cheapest-places-to-buy-a-house-in-america.html

It doesn't mention exact square footage but it describes a number of locations in the US where you can get a four bedroom, two bathroom home for between 100k to 110k. If we apply the same math as before you could swing one of those on a job that doesn't pay nearly as much as 55k, although I'd also argue that there's a diminishing return on a lower salary because while the 35% you'd spend on your home has gone down, the price of the food and other living expenses you'd be spending the other 65% on stays the same so the lower you go the harder it is to scrape by even if you can afford your home.

-Byshop

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LittleAngryDog

@tryit: Make your dream a reality. Nothing better than living where you really feel good. Choosing a home is something extremely delicate and important. Good luck!

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TryIt

@littleangrydog said:

@tryit: Make your dream a reality. Nothing better than living where you really feel good. Choosing a home is something extremely delicate and important. Good luck!

just so you know, I am 50 years old, about to retire and have lived my entire working life in a large city but now about to retire in small town america living in a travel trailer that i have lived in now for almost 3 years. I do not plan to ever buy a house again. I am not suggesting against it but I would not default to say its the best option in all cases

just so you have context on who you are talking to :)

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jun_aka_pekto
@littleangrydog said:

It is a used house, not brand new. The monthly payment for ours is $1200/mo. That includes the loan insurance and property taxes. If you're wasteful like us where we have 2 full-size refrigerators + a full-size freezer (24/7 for these 3) along with ceiling fans and central air conditioning, our electric bill can hit $300/mo during the summer. Our stove and water heater are gas. Surprisingly, water isn't that expensive. Tucson may look like a desert outside, but, there are huge subterranean aquifers deep below ground. We have plenty of water. I think we're full or close to full after last year's record monsoon season.

Add groceries, utilities, DirecTV, Netflix, landline (because the wife wants one), Internet, home insurance, home warranty..... I'd say monthly bills would be ~$2k/mo with plenty of room for improvement. We're quite wasteful. ;) You can figure out the rest of the math, including any car-related expenses.

I've seen retirees/senior citizens set their roots at our neighborhood. They don't work. But, they seem to be getting by.

bigfootpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bigfootpart2
Member since 2013 • 1131 Posts

@littleangrydog said:
@bigfootpart2 said:

1 million? Jesus Christ! I thought that Florida had cheaper properties than many American states.

Not South Florida. South Florida has some of the highest real estate prices in the country, and they go up the closer you get to the ocean.

Places like Palm Beach, Boca Raton, Ft Lauderdale, Coral Gables, Lighthouse Point, Key Biscayne, etc are really, really expensive.

Central and North FL are cheap though.

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LittleAngryDog

@jun_aka_pekto : If the monthly expenses are 2k I believe that 50k per year is enough to supply all the bills and the rest can be used to buy a mid-size car adding gas and maintenance. Also spare to spend time with some hobbie(consoles and games for exemple), and maybe travel once a year. If there is any other member of the family who works and earns at least one minimum wage the expenses become even lighter and so on. Lastly, I believe that the income compatible with the lifestyle that this house suggests is something around 50 ~70k per year.

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LittleAngryDog

@bigfootpart2: Okay, I must have been confused.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jun_aka_pekto

@littleangrydog said:

@jun_aka_pekto : If the monthly expenses are 2k I believe that 50k per year is enough to supply all the bills and the rest can be used to buy a medium-sized car for gas and maintenance. Also spare to spend time with some hobbie and maybe travel once a year. If there is any other member of the family who works and earns at least one minimum wage the expenses become even lighter and so on. Lastly, I believe that the income compatible with the lifestyle that this house suggests is something around 70k per year.

50k is close to the amount Byshop mentioned. More is always better though for that safety margin in case something bad happens.

For travel, California is next door. That's where we vacation if we're not visiting relatives up north in Nevada.

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LittleAngryDog

@jun_aka_pekto:

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@littleangrydog said:

@jun_aka_pekto : If the monthly expenses are 2k I believe that 50k per year is enough to supply all the bills and the rest can be used to buy a medium-sized car for gas and maintenance. Also spare to spend time with some hobbie and maybe travel once a year. If there is any other member of the family who works and earns at least one minimum wage the expenses become even lighter and so on. Lastly, I believe that the income compatible with the lifestyle that this house suggests is something around 70k per year.

50k is close to the amount Byshop mentioned. More is always better though for that safety margin in case something bad happens.

For travel, California is next door. That's where we vacation if we're not visiting relatives up north in Nevada.

California is a dream. But it's an expensive dream. Is it possible to dive on the Californian beaches or are they cold?

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@littleangrydog said:

@jun_aka_pekto:

California is a dream. But it's an expensive dream. Is it possible to dive on the Californian beaches or are they cold?

If you're just vacationing, it's not that expensive. But, yes. The water is fricking cold, even near San Diego. You need a wet suit if you want to frolic in the water. Not me. I stayed ashore (at Oceanside last summer) and admired the view:

LittleAngryDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LittleAngryDog

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@littleangrydog said:

@jun_aka_pekto:

If you're just vacationing, it's not that expensive. But, yes. The water is fricking cold, even near San Diego. You need a wet suit if you want to frolic in the water. Not me. I stayed ashore (at Oceanside last summer) and admired the view:

Dude, San Diego is a magnificent city. I'm amazed at the photos and videos of this city. I want to visit this place someday. Maybe live there.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

In my area of FL those houses are not middle class. Upper middle, depending on the neighborhood. Otherwise, definitely uppderclass as those are $500k+ houses in my region.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto: I hate open rooms

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TryIt

@shellcase86 said:

In my area of FL those houses are not middle class. Upper middle, depending on the neighborhood. Otherwise, definitely uppderclass as those are $500k+ houses in my region.

yup...same for texas I would think.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TryIt

This is my idea of 'got it made'. top of the list, cream of the crop. high class

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@pimphand_gamer said:

It all depends on the interior design you want. There are several to pick from. Our house isn't open-room either. It's only the exterior layout which looks identical. Plus, we have Spanish-style ceramic roof tiles, not shingles.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3481 Posts

Wish there were more detached houses in the UK.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

3 million+ for either of the 2 houses TC posted.

You CANNOT buy a house for less than 900,000 AUD, where I live. 300,000 in the countryside.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@pimphand_gamer said:

It all depends on the interior design you want. There are several to pick from. Our house isn't open-room either. It's only the exterior layout which looks identical. Plus, we have Spanish-style ceramic roof tiles, not shingles.

Now I do like those Spanish roof tiles. I also like the look of stucco but I hear it's not always that great at keeping out water.

Piisexactly4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Piisexactly4
Member since 2017 • 65 Posts

Upper Middle imo. In michigan where I live, I'd estimate those to cost ~400k-500k

Bush_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Bush_Dog
Member since 2017 • 294 Posts

In my country that's an upper class home.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@pimphand_gamer said:

Now I do like those Spanish roof tiles. I also like the look of stucco but I hear it's not always that great at keeping out water.

If you look closely at the outside wall textures, the stucco panels here aren't bare that are just painted over. There's a thick coarse sand coating mixed in with the paint that helps a lot in repelling heavy downpours. After that coating, a final coat of paint is sprayed over. We get drenched here every summer. Home builders here are pretty good about waterproofing houses.

The roof style in my neighborhood. Taken while I was photographing thunderstorm cumulonimbus clouds from my driveway.

This is common here every monsoon season. In this case, 3/4" of rain fell in 22 minutes. It's a rude awakening for those new here. Ha Ha! ;)

Loading Video...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58378 Posts

Depends on what state you live in, and even where in that state you live.

In California, that house might cost you upwards of 1.5 million within 40 minutes of San Francisco, Santa Barbara, LA, San Diego, etc. However if you drive out to Modesto, Bakersfield, and some other less desirable places you might find it going for 800k or something.

@littleangrydog said:

@jun_aka_pekto:

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@littleangrydog said:

@jun_aka_pekto : ...

Freezing. Firemen will actually let you drown if you are too far out from the beach because they'd get hypothermia if they tried to rescue you.

But you know if you like to dive or surf, get a wetsuit.

It warms up, though, depending on season but you don't see many people swimming in Santa Cruz a lot of the time, for example, and that is typical California beach town.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58378 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto: damn, no wonder everyone is moving to Arizona. You guys need more breweries, by chance? Might find my way out there one day.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TryIt

@mrbojangles25 said:

@jun_aka_pekto: damn, no wonder everyone is moving to Arizona. You guys need more breweries, by chance? Might find my way out there one day.

I get very tired of rocks

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jun_aka_pekto
@tryit said:

I get very tired of rocks

There's always Flagstaff in northern Arizona.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
@mrbojangles25 said:

Freezing. Firemen will actually let you drown if you are too far out from the beach because they'd get hypothermia if they tried to rescue you.

But you know if you like to dive or surf, get a wetsuit.

It warms up, though, depending on season but you don't see many people swimming in Santa Cruz a lot of the time, for example, and that is typical California beach town.

Beside being too cold, the currents can also be treacherous if you swim out too far. Riptides are a constant danger there.

Does the marine layer stratus and fog reach as far south as San Diego? I know it reaches as far south as Oceanside because we had it overhead when we left. It was good the preceding few days were sunny. ;)

It's the cold currents that cause the marine layer clouds and fog to form.

As for beer, I think whoever makes Corona has the market here cornered.

Loading Video...

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

@tryit said:
@shellcase86 said:

Texas is interesting. It's such a massive state! Depending on where you live the same house can swing from $150k - $650k easily.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TryIt

@shellcase86 said:
@tryit said:
@shellcase86 said:

Texas is interesting. It's such a massive state! Depending on where you live the same house can swing from $150k - $650k easily.

yup.

in fact I think it has a few towns that are the cheapest in the country list while at the same time somethig like Austin, Houston and Dallas which are expensive within the city limits

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#49 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

@thegerg said:

Probably ~$4-500,000 around my way.

SW alabama?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127513 Posts

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@littleangrydog said:

@jun_aka_pekto:

How come the water is so cold?

Edit: And what is considered cold?