Is there really a gender gap in the tech industry?

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

Source.

I had no idea that Computer Science degrees were so male-dominated, that's why this article grabbed my attention.

To Jocelyn Goldfein, a director of engineering at Facebook, the math is stark.

Less than 20% of the bachelor's degrees in computer science go to women, according to federal statistics. By comparison, nearly 60% of all bachelor's degrees are awarded to graduating females.

She blames the lack of role models both in popular culture and in day-to-day life as a key reason for the disparity.

"The reason there aren't more women computer scientists is because there aren't more women computer scientists," she said.

Thoughts? Would it not be an improvement to have more women within the field?

Seems to me a business would want to hire more female talent, especially if they are trying to make their products and services appeal to women.

wii60_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 wii60_3
Member since 2007 • 2017 Posts
Thats actually a good thing for us, if women took the jobs field would be oversaturated
Tazzman1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Tazzman1000
Member since 2012 • 638 Posts
I am a great believer in the best person for a job should be given the job. However this sometime isn't the case, maybe due to prejudice or the fear of being accused of discrimination. To make a long story short, should there be more female computer technicions: yes if they are good enough why not. However too think that because they are female means that they will be able to make products more appealing to women is just being daft and blind (no insult is aimed at you in anyway).
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Engineering and other physical sciences have the same kind of gender gap. A lot of different reasons for this have been postulated, including taking time off to raise a family, that women lean towards biology if they have an interest in science, and difficulty breaking into a male-dominated industry.

I think the gap has been slowly shrinking over the last few decades. I don't know if it will be completely equal any time soon.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

its actually very true in my two years of IT in college i had 1 girl my 1st year but she dropped out and then i had another my second year. in classes as large as 40 or so. my teachers while have say nothing concrete to back it up openly admit computer science and IT are male dominate fields and that the turnover for female students in college & university is incredibly low. and after two years of school i say id beleive them at work in my whole department we have 0 female employee's and going across the hall to the everyday consumer side of the customer support cetner id say less than 15% of em are women.. easily.

while im uncertain what the work environments and classes are like in comp sci. due to some overlap in education in both fields and the fact that both require similar skill sets. its safe for me to assume that the reason for both being male dominate work environments is similar.

i think one reason is simply that its looked negatively on in the female mass medium to be incredibly skilled with technology. social networking, and being a trendy.. thats what gets force fe.. i mean sold to the female demographic as being technically relevant in their world. the rest might as well be a foreign tech made by aliens

Corbis-42-18673255.jpg?size=67&uid=00679

kind of a sad thing really..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mjlM_RnsVE&ob=av2e

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Certainly seems like it. The math and science fields aren't really my strong suit though, so I can't exactly criticize women for neglecting them:P.

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
I have noticed that most of the time, whenever a female comes up in the credits of a video game, they're either voice actors, writers, or part of marketing.
Nintendevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nintendevil
Member since 2007 • 6598 Posts

wait, wait, does that really actually surprise you?

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Nintendevil

Yeah I kinda thought this was common knowledge. Maybe it's just because I was exposed to it, I was a Computer Science major and my cIasses were always at least 75% male.

I wouldn't say it's a problem that needs to be fixed, technology is just a subject that many women don't find too appealing. It's kindof the opposite version of nursing.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23047 Posts
It's certainly true in my experience. In our 130 person development team, maybe 10 of those developers are women.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23047 Posts

[QUOTE="Nintendevil"]

JML897

Yeah I kinda thought this was common knowledge. Maybe it's just because I was exposed to it, I was a Computer Science major and my cIasses were always at least 75% male.

I wouldn't say it's a problem that needs to be fixed, technology is just a subject that many women don't find too appealing. It's kindof the opposite version of nursing.

And I agree. I don't so much seeing it as a problem as just a fact. There are simply fewer women interested in the field.
buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

Source.

I had no idea that Computer Science degrees were so male-dominated, that's why this article grabbed my attention.

Less than 20% of the bachelor's degrees in computer science go to women, according to federal statistics. By comparison, nearly 60% of all bachelor's degrees are awarded to graduating females.

She blames the lack of role models both in popular culture and in day-to-day life as a key reason for the disparity.

"The reason there aren't more women computer scientists is because there aren't more women computer scientists," she said.

Seems to me a business would want to hire more female talent, especially if they are trying to make their products and services appeal to women.

topsemag55

maybe chicks don't wanna be around computer nerds??

lol jk

Brozekial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Brozekial
Member since 2010 • 744 Posts
Never once known a woman with a CS degree.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38684 Posts
hmmm.. our team is ~ 15-20 people and of them 1 is a woman... yeah, no gender gap here. :P
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

this has been quite common for 30+ years

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

currently getting my CS degree and yeah i safely there are very few women there. It makes sense though. You really have to have a strong geek/nerd side to be into the stuff. That's just naturally and culturally / socially weird it seems.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

currently getting my CS degree and yeah i safely there are very few women there. It makes sense though. You really have to have a strong geek/nerd side to be into the stuff. That's just naturally and culturally / socially weird it seems.

Gen007
until personal computers became the norm, women were very prevalent in programming fields. I think pop culture killed it off
cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
Oh hell yeah, there's a gap. Women generally don't take engineering degrees at all. They're more inclined to sciences and liberal arts. I'd estimate the male/women ratio at the CS department at my school would be 20/1. It's worse in CE and EE.
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
women don't have time for all those 1's and 0's
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

I've heard this from other sources before so I'm not surprised.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Serraph105
I am a great believer in the best person for a job should be given the job. However this sometime isn't the case, maybe due to prejudice or the fear of being accused of discrimination. To make a long story short, should there be more female computer technicions: yes if they are good enough why not. However too think that because they are female means that they will be able to make products more appealing to women is just being daft and blind (no insult is aimed at you in anyway). Tazzman1000
True, however the article mentions college degrees being given more to men than women. That's not really prejudice at work so much as women not being overly interested in the field.
ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
From experience, men are usually more interested in computer related things than women are. Don't know why but that's just how it is. So obviously more men will get computer science degrees than women.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Not shocking in the least. As others have shared, experienced this first hand.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Serraph105
[QUOTE="Serraph105"][QUOTE="Tazzman1000"]I am a great believer in the best person for a job should be given the job. However this sometime isn't the case, maybe due to prejudice or the fear of being accused of discrimination. To make a long story short, should there be more female computer technicions: yes if they are good enough why not. However too think that because they are female means that they will be able to make products more appealing to women is just being daft and blind (no insult is aimed at you in anyway). thegerg
True, however the article mentions college degrees being given more to men than women. That's not really prejudice at work so much as women not being overly interested in the field.

In reality this has nothing to do with degrees being given to men, it's about degrees being earned by men.

Okay? Same conclusion though.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
I too can confirm the lack of females in my medical classes, they stop after the basics for Nurses, and nurses assistance.
Tazzman1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Tazzman1000
Member since 2012 • 638 Posts
[QUOTE="Serraph105"][QUOTE="thegerg"][QUOTE="Serraph105"] True, however the article mentions college degrees being given more to men than women. That's not really prejudice at work so much as women not being overly interested in the field.

In reality this has nothing to do with degrees being given to men, it's about degrees being earned by men.

Okay? Same conclusion though.

Probably should've read the question properly, because that actually makes my view unreliable, not only because im not on a computer science degree but i'm also on a female dominated course, which isn't fashion i should add lol. Anyway my defence here is that you get the point in getting a degree is to get a top end job, which also isn't the case in some circumstances.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts

Yes and yes more women is definitely an advantage. However I think too many people these days are looking at the industry and saying that because there's no women there the industry has something against them, especially with this new love for the term 'brogrammers'. There's a little of a boy's club feel to computer science however it's no where near as bad as the reputation and it's not intentional or malevolent in any way.

IMO women are turned off from tech well before getting anywhere near the industry. I constantly see posts from female programmers that their teachers always suggested that because they were girls they weren't expected to be as good at math, physics or IT; that when they were growing up they were always praised for being 'pretty' or 'beautiful' but not for being clever and their friends never shared their interest in tech and they were ostracised for this.

When a women does join a tech company they're often the only one there and have no female peers. Some feel that they can't ask fro help because they have to prove that women can work in technology. I've also heard that the meetings don't suit them as they're often confrontational, not in an aggressive manner, but in a way that people are constantly shooting down each others ideas and women prefer more collaborative approaches than competitive ones.

This isn't to say there aren't jerks in the industry, I have heard of people being denied jobs simply because they were women and misogynist comments being thrown around the office. I'm sure some people here have heard of Boston API Jam which advertised women serving beer as 'perks'. However this is not a trait of the tech industry as a whole and there is definitely no big brogrammer movement.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 markop2003

Gen007
The original programmers were all women if I remember correctly, the men were busy shooting Germans.
xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
In my 10 years in many different areas of the IT field I think I've only directly worked with 4 women. Sure there are some that are programmers, account support, student workers or at the help desk, but actual Desktop Support or Network Support its pretty small. I think the various classes I had maybe 2 were in there? I don't remember it was awhile ago but it is a pretty male dominated field at least in my experiences.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
I really want to ask one question, with how things are going in today's world and how everyone has his/her chance to do whatever the fvck they want, why do we need women to have more of this or more of that?
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Who cares? This just sounds like people trying to bring it up for the sake of bringing it up, it's not like it's a big deal, if women don't want to do that job how does that effect anything at all?
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
Who cares? This just sounds like people trying to bring it up for the sake of bringing it up, it's not like it's a big deal, if women don't want to do that job how does that effect anything at all? bobbetybob
but teh feminists don't like it. We should force women into the field, to give them more right and liberty.
theonlylolking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 theonlylolking
Member since 2010 • 152 Posts

Source.

topsemag55
Duh because almost every single woman in college wan'ts to be a teacher of some sort.(that is what many of the girls say when asked) =/
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
It's true. There's only about 7 or so girls in my class out of total of say, 50.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Obviously, it's not because of a lack of role models, it's because women in general have much less concept or interest in computers beyond social networking. I mean seriously, most girls I've known struggle enough with facebook, they're hardly going into computer sciences.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#39 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

As long as the gap is not a result of decreased opportunities, I dont have as much of a problem with it. If women willingly choose not to go into computer science majors because they find them unattractive, then so be it.

CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts

Hasn't the vast majority of the science and engineering workforce always been male? I got my BS in Electrical Engineering a year ago, and I think there were about 4 girls whom I constantly saw in my upper division EE courses. It'd be great if more females went the science and engineering route; this generation's constant exposure to technology at early ages may spark that.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
[QUOTE="bobbetybob"]Who cares? This just sounds like people trying to bring it up for the sake of bringing it up, it's not like it's a big deal, if women don't want to do that job how does that effect anything at all? GazaAli
but teh feminists don't like it. We should force women into the field, to give them more right and liberty.

That's pretty much what it sounds like to me, maybe we should force them to be plumbers and electricians as well, I mean, just because they have no interest in the field it must be because there's no good role models right, couldn't have anything to do with them just not having an interest in that particular area. You know what, in fact I'm sure I only started enjoying drawing when I was in primary school because I loved DaVinci and Picasso so damn much, you know, even though I'd never even heard of them.
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I'm sure it will fill itself over time.

Inb4 gubmint should regulate this so that women are represented equally.

wii60_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wii60_3
Member since 2007 • 2017 Posts
The field is already full with men alone, thats why the salaries are still decent. Women who do get the degree have easy times getting jobs because they are so rare in this field. Men are starting to nurse, so its turning around , but i prefer a good salary if it means having a few less girls around , don't try to force people into fields because your feminist
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 markop2003

Who cares? This just sounds like people trying to bring it up for the sake of bringing it up, it's not like it's a big deal, if women don't want to do that job how does that effect anything at all? bobbetybob

Because if you have women on the team perhaps you won't lose all your sponsors because you did something stupid like this:

apijam.png

Also Women make up 51% of the world's population so it's pretty stupid to not have any of them on the team, you're missing out on a telent pool and you could pottentially be missing out on them as a market. Finally diversity is a good thing in any team, it means you don't have as much group think and have more innovative ideas as you're pulling from a much broader range of ideas for inspiration.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 markop2003
[QUOTE="Overlord93"]Obviously, it's not because of a lack of role models, it's because women in general have much less concept or interest in computers beyond social networking. I mean seriously, most girls I've known struggle enough with facebook, they're hardly going into computer sciences.

Why are you treating that as an inherent property of them being female and not a learned trait. All the articles and presentations on women in tech I've seen have pointed towards the issue starting well before they hit their teens. Girls get Barbies for xmas and boys get an Atari, girls are told that they're not expected to be as good at math as boys ect
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
So cupcakes are good but pizza's lame?
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
[QUOTE="bobbetybob"]Who cares? This just sounds like people trying to bring it up for the sake of bringing it up, it's not like it's a big deal, if women don't want to do that job how does that effect anything at all? GazaAli

Excuse me while I find a single feminist who thinks that women should be forced into computer science.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Serraph105

I honestly think this is the only reason this is being made an issue. If women don't want to get into the computer field they shouldn't feel obligated to do so simply because the industry is lopsided.
markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 markop2003
So cupcakes are good but pizza's lame? JML897
It seems that way... I guess pizza is a bit of a cliche at these sort of events
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
[QUOTE="Overlord93"]Obviously, it's not because of a lack of role models, it's because women in general have much less concept or interest in computers beyond social networking. I mean seriously, most girls I've known struggle enough with facebook, they're hardly going into computer sciences.markop2003
Why are you treating that as an inherent property of them being female and not a learned trait. All the articles and presentations on women in tech I've seen have pointed towards the issue starting well before they hit their teens. Girls get Barbies for xmas and boys get an Atari, girls are told that they're not expected to be as good at math as boys ect

I agree with you, but gender socialization in that respect is a bit more subtle than that. Girls aren't always "told" that they will be worse. There are a lot of messages in society about gender norms that acumulate and then serve as the agents of gender socialization.