Is The Muslim Religion REALLY Peaceful?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts

I don't know much about it really. But I've flipped through the Koran before, and it doesn't seem peaceful to me. So, are peaceful muslims doing it wrong?

dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dunl12496

I doubt that they WANT suicide bombing in the Koran, but like I said, I don't know much.

hokies1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 hokies1313
Member since 2005 • 13919 Posts

Yes, it really is peaceful if you actually take time to understand some of it and not just read it. There's no way you can claim that Islam is inherently more violent than any other.

xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
No less peaceful than the Bible.
DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

I don't know much about it really. But I've flipped through the Koran before, and it doesn't seem peaceful to me. So, are peaceful muslims doing it wrong?

dunl12496

I stopped reading there.

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 raynimrod
Member since 2005 • 6861 Posts

Why are you saying "the Muslim religion" instead of Islam?

clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts
The Qur'an in no more violent than the Bible is.
_R34LiTY_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 _R34LiTY_
Member since 2008 • 3331 Posts

It's just as peaceful and as violent as the Christian holy book

[QUOTE="dunl12496"]

DarthJohnova

I stopped reading there.

Why would him admitting that he doesn't know much about Islam while asking for somewhat of a clearer understanding of it put you off from the rest? Are you really that full of yourself?

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Christianity has God striking people down with great regularity. Also flipping through a large religious text that's meant to be read in Arabic isn't usually the best way to get a feel for a religion. Kind of like me getting a chinese translation of the bible and reading revelations cause it's the fun part.
dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dunl12496

The Qur'an in no more violent than the Bible is.clayron

Yes, but the bible changed in the new testament. Murder and other stuff is no longer accepted. Plus, a big thing is obey the law over all but God.

thattotally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 thattotally
Member since 2008 • 3842 Posts

[QUOTE="dunl12496"]

DarthJohnova

I stopped reading there.

raynimrod

This makes me skeptical over the tc's intentions on "learning" more about the religion.

dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dunl12496

[QUOTE="DarthJohnova"]

[QUOTE="dunl12496"]

I stopped reading there.

thattotally

raynimrod

This makes me skeptical over the tc's intentions on "learning" more about the religion.

Because this is about the koran itself, not the people. Christianity almost NEVER represents what's in the bible anymore. So many false things.

_R34LiTY_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 _R34LiTY_

raynimrod

Does it really matter how he labels it if you know what he means? Besides, he said he doesn't know much about the religion, so that should've answered your question before even asking. No?

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

[QUOTE="thattotally"]

[QUOTE="DarthJohnova"]

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

dunl12496

Because this is about the koran itself, not the people. Christianity almost NEVER represents what's in the bible anymore. So many false things.

Aren't you the guy who said that you have to follow the bible exactly or you go to hell forever?
majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts

And he [Elisha] went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head. And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them. 2 Kings 2:23-24

Sorry, but the only reason Islam is thought of as "more violent" is because of cultural biases. The Bible is no different.
clayron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 clayron
Member since 2003 • 10121 Posts

[QUOTE="clayron"]The Qur'an in no more violent than the Bible is.dunl12496

Yes, but the bible changed in the new testament. Murder and other stuff is no longer accepted. Plus, a big thing is obey the law over all but God.

The New Testament doesn't wash away the Old Testament. You know that right? Plus, there is violence in the New Testament. Hell, doesn't Jesus flip out in a church? Say what you will and what not, but you could read that as "If you don't like it, turn over a table, and start yelling at people about it." I can't recall the exact passage but I think people fled from that church.

A guy walks in and claims to be the son of God, and then gets pissed off. That'd scare the f*** out of me. Especially with God's track record of not taking any s***

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Nope, just as violent as Christianity.
DarthJohnova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarthJohnova
Member since 2010 • 4599 Posts

It's just as peaceful and as violent as the Christian holy book

[QUOTE="DarthJohnova"]

[QUOTE="dunl12496"]

_R34LiTY_

I stopped reading there.

Why would him admitting that he doesn't know much about Islam while asking for somewhat of a clearer understanding of it put you off from the rest? Are you really that full of yourself?

If so, great but TC's title of 'Is The Muslim Religion REALLY Peaceful?' suggested an incredulous disbelief that it could possibly ever be peaceful. Also note, he never said Islam, as if he didn't know it was called it 0.o
Avatar image for BlindBluMonstah
BlindBluMonstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BlindBluMonstah
Member since 2009 • 13858 Posts

you mean Islam :/

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
Modern islam commonly interprets the quran in a peaceful manner, but the writing is quite violent and it's easy to interpret it in a violent manner, hence why you get all of these muslim extremists blowing **** up in the name of god. People will point out the old testament as a case against christianity, but christianity generally follows the new testament which is far more peaceful than the quran.
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#21 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 16026 Posts

The dogma itself is, but the followers aren't always peaceful-- that's true for many different religions. To learn about a religion, the best way is to look at what its holy book says. I wouldn't look to the Westboro Baptist church as an accurate representation of Christianity because I know that the New Testament adamantly opposes what they do. In the same way, it's not fair to base Islam on what you see on the news all the time. There is some violent stuff in the Qur'an, but if you look at the context, you'll find that Muhammad [p.b.u.h] and his followers suffered a lot of persecution at the hands of the pagan rulers.

Muhammad's people were taught to fight if it's absolutely necessary, but Muhammad [p.b.u.h] stressed that you should stop fighting if the opposition surrenders. Not to sound like a broken record, but it's better to go to the source [the Qur'an] to find out that Islam only advises violence in a time where there's no other choice. The Qur'an says in Surah 5 that if you were to murder someone, it would be as if you murdered all of humanity.

raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 raynimrod

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

_R34LiTY_

Does it really matter how he labels it if you know what he means? Besides, he said he doesn't know much about the religion, so that should've answered your question before even asking. No?

You expect me to assume he's really that ignorant? We're talking about one of the biggest religions in the world - its name is pretty bloody obvious, even without knowing about its inner workings and teachings.

ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

Muslim extremists are the minority. Most Muslims desire peace.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 majoras_wrath

The dogma itself is, but the followersaren't always peaceful-- that's true for many different religions. To learn about a religion, the best way is to look at what its holy book says. I wouldn't look to the Westboro Baptist church as an accurate representation of Christianity because I know that the New Testament adamantly opposes what they do. In the same way, it's not fair to base Islam on what you see on the news all the time. There is some violent stuff in the Qur'an, but if you look at the context, you'll find that Muhammad [p.b.u.h] and his followers suffered a lot of persecution at the hands of the pagan rulers.

Muhammad's people were taught to fight if it's absolutely necessary, but Muhammad [p.b.u.h] stressed that you should stop fighting if the opposition surrenders. Not to sound like a broken record, but it's better to go to the source [the Qur'an] to find out that Islam only advises violence in a time where there's no other choice. The Qur'an says in Surah 5 that if you were to murder someone, it would be as if you murdered all of humanity.

dracula_16

Whoa, hold on, have you converted? I noticed the "peace be upon him", but I distinctly remember you being atheist.

If so, that's really cool.

EDIT: Ok yeah, I read your blog, I'm good at picking up on things like that.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

Things like the Crusades, the Spanish Inquistion, and the Salem Witch Trials puts the bodycount made by extremist Christians far above that made by extremist Muslims.

_R34LiTY_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 _R34LiTY_

[QUOTE="_R34LiTY_"]

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

raynimrod

You expect me to assume he's really that ignorant? We're talking about one of the biggest religions in the world - its name is pretty bloody obvious, even without knowing about its inner workings and teachings.

I guess that because this is OT, the usual assumption is that someone is trying to sarcastically ask for help in understanding just to have people catch themselves in admitting how violent a particular religion can come off as thanks to some nutjobs. But does it ALWAYS have to be that kind of lame assumption? No one is ever genuinely asking for genuine understanding/help here in OT, right?

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

From very personal experience, i can say that Islam encourages violence far more than it does peace.

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 nervmeister

From very personal experience, i can say that Islam encourages violence far more than it does peace.

Videodogg
Alright. Let's hear about your experience then.
VintageClock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 VintageClock
Member since 2011 • 40 Posts

im not sure that true muslims are allowed to be peaceful if they really follow what the koran teaches

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 majoras_wrath

Videodogg
So we are supposed to extrapolate your personal experience to the rest of the world. Hah. Ok :D Because a group of kids (white btw) threw stones at me for having one hand, that means that all whites are evil! (i'm white)
halo1399

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 halo1399
Member since 2003 • 617 Posts

Things like the Crusades, the Spanish Inquistion, and the Salem Witch Trials puts the bodycount made by extremist Christians far above that made by extremist Muslims.

nervmeister

Uhhh..no it doesn't, not even close.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
most of the ancient texts were violent
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#34 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

How can Islam be peaceful if so many people that practice it are so violent? (etc. 9/11, brutal beheadings, murders, suicide bombings, need I go on?)

halo1399

The number of non-violent Muslims outnumber the violent ones by quite a bit.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
My whole family is for the most part Muslim. It is indeed peaceful. Must tell you that most of them don't even pray or anything though.
one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

How can Islam be peaceful if so many people that practice it are so violent? (etc. 9/11, brutal beheadings, murders, suicide bombings, need I go on?)

halo1399

How many of them out of 1.5 billion?

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nervmeister

[QUOTE="nervmeister"]

halo1399

Uhhh..no it doesn't, not even close.

Yes it does, by far.
raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 raynimrod

[QUOTE="raynimrod"]

[QUOTE="_R34LiTY_"]

_R34LiTY_

I guess that because this is OT, the usual assumption is that someone is trying to sarcastically ask for help in understanding just to have people catch themselves in admitting how violent a particular religion can come off as thanks to some nutjobs. But does it ALWAYS have to be that kind of lame assumption? No one is ever genuinely asking for genuine understanding/help here in OT, right?

My question had nothing to do with that, nor did it make that assumption. Sure, he could be legitimately asking whether Islam is a peaceful religion - I never said anything to the contrary.

What I asked was, why he didn't use the name of the religion. Instead, he said something to the effect of "is the Jew religion bad", rather than "is Judaism bad". The question of ignorance related to not knowing the name of one of the biggest religions in the world.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#39 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

dunl12496
well if one studies the strict code of conduct their armies had (we are talking about pre medieval armies) then yeah you could see the rules were quite peaceful...not sure about what the quran says though...or what do they understand about it...all I know is that their armies had rules like "dont kill women or children or enemies giving up, dont destroy water wells" and stuff like that
Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Serioussamik
Member since 2010 • 773 Posts

Any religion is as peaceful or violent as it's followers are.Saying that extremist Islam followers are cuuting a very sorry picture indeed.They may be the minority but even the peace lovin' majority are not totally free of age-old prujudices irrespective of their degree of education.They still love to keep their women in veil,for crying out loud.And the general degree of intolerance shown by Islam followers towrads other religions is also greater in areas where Muslims are the majority.

Princesswookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Princesswookie
Member since 2011 • 48 Posts
No religion is peaceful because of the men that run them. Men is the primary cause of evil in this world and they should just be gone or something.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

I've read both the Bible and the Qur'an and I can say that Islam's holy text is no more violent than Christianity's holy text (perhaps less so, when considering context), and is on the whole actually more liberal than the Bible is.

Deihjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Deihjan
Member since 2008 • 30213 Posts
If you bothered to read the Quoran, you'd know much more..instead of trying to start foolish flame wars..
dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 dunl12496

[QUOTE="dunl12496"]

[QUOTE="thattotally"]

Ace6301

Aren't you the guy who said that you have to follow the bible exactly or you go to hell forever?

Yes, because that's true. You can repent though.

dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 dunl12496

If you bothered to read the Quoran, you'd know much more..instead of trying to start foolish flame wars..Deihjan

I'm not trying to start something! Can I just ask a flipping question?

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

The Koran has pretty specific rules for muslims to defend themselves. I believe Christianity states that hurting people under any circumstance is wrong (even defense). Still many Christians find ways to justify violence beyond their religion just like many muslims do.

Jawsus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Jawsus_
Member since 2011 • 54 Posts
Is the Christian religion REALLY peaceful?
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
It's not nearly as violent as people make it out to be, but I am still skeptical about the religion in general.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
Is the Christian religion REALLY peaceful? Jawsus_
What does Christianity have to do with this topic? :/
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#50 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
No religion is peaceful because of the men that run them. Men is the primary cause of evil in this world and they should just be gone or something. Princesswookie
What about the Matriarchal religions?