Is psychology a pseudo-science?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

silly_pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 silly_pants
Member since 2012 • 233 Posts
Seriously as someone who has taken psychology... And done a decent job, not well mind you but decent enough to pass. I am not really good at academia or born with the intellectual gift but I digress. I mean it is the science of the mind, science of labels and condescension. Every message board I go to or have gone to show it to be one. Everyone throws around diagnosing people they dislike with disorders, in my view psychology is used as a club by those in power, or those who hold certain oratory, or intellectual gifts to denegrate humans deemed inferior. Further proof is how these terms are thrown around in a negative connotation and the criteria for each so called "disorder" are so broad that everyone pretty much can be designated to one.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Some areas are, such as folk psychology. As a fourth year in Psych, no it isn't a pseudo-science. There are branches of cognitive, neuro, behavioural-cog...etc that all rely on the scientific method.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

uhhhh.....no.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

nothegerg

uhhhh.....no.

wis3boi

absolutely enthralling responses

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
Depends on how you look at it. It is certainly a science alright, as it uses scientific methods to come to informed conclusions and so on. But whether, like medicine, it actually helps patients is another issue entirely. I personally take the view, I could be wrong, that the only way to get yourself out of problems like depression etc is to do it yourself. While talking about it is good, at the end of the day, you and only you can change the circumstances around you and take responsibility for your life. That's what I believe.
TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

go away banjo

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

I mean, it's not physics, but I have bad news for you, OP . . .

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

It is the science of the mind. The rest of the things you mention dont apply.

Theres nothing wrong about organizing and labeling the things that can be correctly identified. Classifying people's races as "caucasian," "German," "African-American," or "Aborginal" is not condescending. Neither is classyfing someone who does, in fact, have a disorder.

And no, the criteria for a disorder are pretty specific. Someone who sees visual an auditory hallucinations is a schizophrenic and theres no way to stretch that definition to someone who is healthy.

Being classified or actually having a disorder doesn't mean a person is crazy, or even unhealthy.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e799a72eb68
deactivated-60e799a72eb68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-60e799a72eb68
Member since 2008 • 1678 Posts

When you take into account psychiatric drugs and treatment for said disorders, pretty much.

"Bipolar? We don't know what causes it, but here, take these drugs that were designed to treat schizophrenia and epilepsy and hope for the best."

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
Psychology is not a pseudo-science; psychological research is minimally based on the scientific method, additional tools such as surveys notwithstanding. How people wrongfully engage in psychological research, blindly diagnose people, and distort definitions used in psychology is irrelevant.
Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts

No, but it's not a hard science either.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="thegerg"]no22Toothpicks

uhhhh.....no.

wis3boi

absolutely enthralling responses

simple question gets a simple response

silly_pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 silly_pants

Theres nothing wrong about organizing and labeling the things that can be correctly identified. Classifying people's races as "caucasian," "German," "African-American," or "Aborginal" is not condescending. Neither is classyfing someone who does, in fact, have a disorder.

And no, the criteria for a disorder are pretty specific. Someone who sees visual an auditory hallucinations is a schizophrenic and theres no way to stretch that definition to someone who is healthy.

Being classified or actually having a disorder doesn't mean a person is crazy, or even unhealthy.

XaosII
It absolutely elitist and vile to classify people by race. I would argue by gender as well but I might lose that debate. We are all human and bleed red... I disagree, the criteria is not specific really, it is just condescending and elitist to label others as disordered and inferior.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

Niff_T
I don't understand why the distinction between hard sciences and soft sciences even matters.
Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts
[QUOTE="XaosII"]

silly_pants
It absolutely elitist and vile to classify people by race. I would argue by gender as well but I might lose that debate. We are all human and bleed red... I disagree, the criteria is not specific really, it is just condescending and elitist to label others as disordered and inferior.

How is it vile and elitist to classify races? (Assuming there is no set of values attached)
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#18 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Study it and find out.
silly_pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 silly_pants
[QUOTE="silly_pants"][QUOTE="XaosII"]

Ring_of_fire

How is it vile and elitist to classify races? (Assuming there is no set of values attached)

Because we are the human race... Race is largely a social construct, that crap by the nazis was proven false.
Niff_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Niff_T
Member since 2007 • 6052 Posts

I don't understand why the distinction between hard sciences and soft sciences even matters.ghoklebutter

It generally only matters to those working in the hard sciences. :P

silly_pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 silly_pants
Study it and find out.BranKetra
Already studied general psychology and abhorred the blatant condescension and elitism found in the text.
Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ring_of_fire
[QUOTE="silly_pants"][QUOTE="Ring_of_fire"][QUOTE="silly_pants"] It absolutely elitist and vile to classify people by race. I would argue by gender as well but I might lose that debate. We are all human and bleed red... I disagree, the criteria is not specific really, it is just condescending and elitist to label others as disordered and inferior.

Because we are the human race... Race is largely a social construct, that crap by the nazis was proven false.

But the Nazis had a set of hierarchical set of values in race, hence the "Master Race". Answer my question, without spewing empty rhetoric. If there is no set of values related to race, how is it vile and elitist?
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="Niff_T"]

ghoklebutter

I don't understand why the distinction between hard sciences and soft sciences even matters.

Methodologies.

silly_pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 silly_pants

I mean, it's not physics, but I have bad news for you, OP . . .

coolbeans90
What is the news?
silly_pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 silly_pants
[QUOTE="Ring_of_fire"][QUOTE="silly_pants"][QUOTE="Ring_of_fire"] How is it vile and elitist to classify races? (Assuming there is no set of values attached)

But the Nazis had a set of hierarchical set of values in race, hence the "Master Race". Answer my question, without spewing empty rhetoric. If there is no set of values related to race, how is it vile and elitist?

How is it empty rhetoric, scientifically race is a social construct rather than a biological one. We are all human.
Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
Nope.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#27 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]Study it and find out.silly_pants
Already studied general psychology and abhorred the blatant condescension and elitism found in the text.

I view the snobby attitude of the academic community as a whole with disdain.
Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ring_of_fire
[QUOTE="silly_pants"][QUOTE="Ring_of_fire"][QUOTE="silly_pants"] Because we are the human race... Race is largely a social construct, that crap by the nazis was proven false.

How is it empty rhetoric, scientifically race is a social construct rather than a biological one. We are all human.

By invoking the Nazis. Empty rhetoric that, ultimately, means nothing. We all may be human, yes, but again, without any hierarchy of set values in race attached to the classifications of race, how is it elitist (which under these conditions, can't be elitist) and vile? Can I finally get an answer, is the third time asking the charm?
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Seriously as someone who has taken psychology... And done a decent job, not well mind you but decent enough to pass. I am not really good at academia or born with the intellectual gift but I digress. I mean it is the science of the mind, science of labels and condescension. Every message board I go to or have gone to show it to be one. Everyone throws around diagnosing people they dislike with disorders, in my view psychology is used as a club by those in power, or those who hold certain oratory, or intellectual gifts to denegrate humans deemed inferior. Further proof is how these terms are thrown around in a negative connotation and the criteria for each so called "disorder" are so broad that everyone pretty much can be designated to one.silly_pants

lol

"I don't know how to think, but what do you think about this half baked idea?"

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
No, but it isn't a "hard" science. For the most part, it follows the scientific method (unlike pseudo-science) but the observations aren't wholly objective.
silly_pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 silly_pants
[QUOTE="silly_pants"][QUOTE="BranKetra"]Study it and find out.BranKetra

I view the snobby attitude of the academic community as a whole with disdain.

Same, although I concede part of it is because I suck...
HybridPhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 HybridPhoenix
Member since 2007 • 3598 Posts
Not really, not at it's heart. It follows the scientific method. You can get an arts degree in it, but it is also a science degree.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
Well disorders can be applied to almost anyone because most people are pretty messed up.
silly_pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 silly_pants
Well disorders can be applied to almost anyone because most people are pretty messed up. dkdk999
Or maybe noone is messed up. Maybe we are all humans with different minds but not disordered.
The_Zoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 The_Zoid
Member since 2006 • 59984 Posts
u wot m8
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

It's a soft science, not psuedo science.

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

No

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
Short answer: Yes. Long answer. Yeah
SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

It's not a pseudoscience. also the diagnoses aren't used to make value judgments. Just as being diagnosed with cancer shouldn't lead anyone to infer your value as a human being, neither should being diagnosed with something like schizophrenia.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Psychology was separated initially from the natural sciences because it wasn't considered an "exact" science. All that was not natural science was known as humanities. But that was a pretty narrow conception of science. Right now we have the social sciences for which psychology, anthropology, sociology are considered sciences. Psychology (experimental, cognitive) tried to study the mind as a natural science too but it mostly failed because the mind is very complicated and western thought have limitations with regards to what cognition was (they thought it was mostly formal internal processes). Right now the mind has to be studied from many scientific perspectives and psychology is one of them.
redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

[QUOTE="dkdk999"]Well disorders can be applied to almost anyone because most people are pretty messed up. silly_pants
Or maybe noone is messed up. Maybe we are all humans with different minds but not disordered.

Sooooo, what's the point of any scientific study of the human mind? Should we all just assume everybody is hunky-dory and not even question when some guy says an invisable talking dog is telling them to burn people? All you are doing is arguing symantics. "Disorder" is just a term used to define a specific type of "difference", it has no inherent value judgement.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

I liked the part where he said he's dumb.

CKYguy25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CKYguy25
Member since 2012 • 2087 Posts

i don't think so