Is Piracy Stealing?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#101 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
[QUOTE="McJugga"] Similarities exist, that doesn't make them "exactly" the same, as you previously stated. My shoes and my hat are both smooth, red and have a blue bottom. Yet they are still not exactly the same thing.

Stealing is stealing. Raising cattle in New Mexico is still raising cattle in Montana. You're still a ****ing cattle rancher.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460
Member since 2005 • 6976 Posts

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="Assassin1349"]Actually I think stealing would be going to itunes.com, hacking it and taking the songs from the site for free. If my source isn't the company or a retailer, I'm not directly taking it from them. Assassin1349

Why? I wasn't planning on buying the music from itunes anyways so whats the difference if I hack it and download the music for free, they weren't getting a sale from me anyways, right? Your proving my point.

I guess you don't understand the concept of stealing. Any bank robber would agree with me.

Enlighten me.

Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts
Stealing is when you obtain something via illegal means, so yes it is stealing.MoonMarvel
No it most certainly isn't :|
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104 MoonMarvel
Member since 2008 • 8249 Posts
[QUOTE="Assassin1349"][QUOTE="racer8dan"]

Actually I think stealing would be going to itunes.com, hacking it and taking the songs from the site for free. If my source isn't the company or a retailer, I'm not directly taking it from them. Assassin1349
Why? I wasn't planning on buying the music from itunes anyways so whats the difference if I hack it and download the music for free, they weren't getting a sale from me anyways, right? Your proving my point.

I guess you don't understand the concept of stealing. Any bank robber would agree with me.

In criminal law, theft is the illegal taking of another person's property without that person's freely-given consent.

Directly or Indirectly its stealing.
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 MoonMarvel
[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]Stealing is when you obtain something via illegal means, so yes it is stealing.Juggernaut140
No it most certainly isn't :|

In criminal law, theft is the illegal taking of another person's property without that person's freely-given consent.

This sums it up.
Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Juggernaut140
Just because you obtained something illegally doesn't mean you stole it :|
brutal_one88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 brutal_one88
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="brutal_one88"]I also don't see the difference between buying second hand cd's (legal) and pirating CD's (illegal). Either way the artists and the labels they are slaves of don't see a dime.Velocitas8

Aye, buying second-hand is equivalent to piracy in my eyes.

This also happens in the video game industry with the used games market. It affects the games industry financially to an even higher degree than it does the recording industry. It's getting to the point that publishers are having to provide additonal incentives to those who buy games new (EA has been doing this lately.)

But if one buys an item, shouldn't it be his to do with what he pleases? If I buy a CD, whether I copy it for friends, shoot it, send it to the moon, resell it or put it under my pillow, it is mine from that moment on. The problem to me isn't that the stuff is being copied, its that the music industry cannot cope. Media is the only thing facing the issue of infringing on property rights. No one else cares what you do with their product after you buy it. Yet, if I choose to share what I buy with others by copying it I am the criminal. Then this brings up the point, why would I want to "buy" something, I cannot really "own"? I find this to be a gray area, at best.
th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#108 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts
No. It's Illegal but you're not actually taking something away from them.
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 MoonMarvel
Just because you obtained something illegally doesn't mean you stole it :|Juggernaut140
:roll: Read the quote before you reply to me. And I didnt say it was.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

Just because you obtained something illegally doesn't mean you stole it :|Juggernaut140
When you illegally acquire something that would have otherwised cost money, its called stealing:|

rowzzr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#111 rowzzr
Member since 2005 • 2375 Posts

It depends on what you consider piracy. Tape recording shows off TV and recording songs off the radio as a kid was considered OK. If I download that stuff nowadays I'm called a thief.

MarcusAntonius
you put this whole piracy thing in a whole different light. thank you. no sarcasm.
Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Juggernaut140
[QUOTE="Juggernaut140"]Just because you obtained something illegally doesn't mean you stole it :|MoonMarvel

Way to edit your post :| Doesn't matter, what you originally said is still in my quote
JonnyEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 JonnyEagle
Member since 2009 • 1196 Posts
Yeah sure, something doesn't necessarily need to be physical to be stolen, otherwise something like identify theft wouldn't be called identity theft.....
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="brutal_one88"] But if one buys an item, shouldn't it be his to do with what he pleases? If I buy a CD, whether I copy it for friends, shoot it, send it to the moon, resell it or put it under my pillow, it is mine from that moment on. The problem to me isn't that the stuff is being copied, its that the music industry cannot cope. Media is the only thing facing the issue of infringing on property rights. No one else cares what you do with their product after you buy it. Yet, if I choose to share what I buy with others by copying it I am the criminal. Then this brings up the point, why would I want to "buy" something, I cannot really "own"? I find this to be a gray area, at best.

I'm pretty sure you don't have the right to copy something you've purchased. Then a company sells you a product, they do it with the intention that you're the only one possessing it. I think there's an FBI label on the back of every CD that states this.
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 MoonMarvel

[QUOTE="Juggernaut140"]Just because you obtained something illegally doesn't mean you stole it :|racer8dan

When you illegally acquire something that would have otherwised cost money, its called stealing:|

If I obtain a perscription dug via illegal means your saying I stole it?
McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="McJugga"] Similarities exist, that doesn't make them "exactly" the same, as you previously stated. My shoes and my hat are both smooth, red and have a blue bottom. Yet they are still not exactly the same thing.

Stealing is stealing. Raising cattle in New Mexico is still raising cattle in Montana. You're still a ****ing cattle rancher.

I never stated whether I believed piracy should or shouldn't be considered stealing. You said that going to a store and physically removing that product is "exactly" the same as pirating. It most certainly is not.
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 MoonMarvel

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"][QUOTE="Juggernaut140"]Just because you obtained something illegally doesn't mean you stole it :|Juggernaut140

Way to edit your post :| Doesn't matter, what you originally said is still in my quote

Whatever. Next time read the quote before you reply ok? Nothing left to be said here really. And it was correcting it, people miss words sometimes and fix them later... Forget it. :roll:

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

I disagree that pirating is the same thing as stealing.

Stealing - taking a physical object from another person or a retail store - a book, dvd, cd, etc. A retail or packaged product.

Piracy - acquiring a digital version of a physical object - pdf / e-book, digital video, digital audio, etc. A non-retail or packaged product.

I think the best way to stop piracy are to find the original distributors of anything deemed to have a copyright contained within the boundaries of the item distributed for others to download.

A few quick questions -
Is it stealing to use a vcr, tivo, or dvd recorder to capture a digital version of anything freely-aired on a televiision? Is this piracy?
Is it stealing to transfer a personally owned object into a digital format? Is this piracy?
Is it stealing to listen to commercial radio or commercial-free radio broadcasts without paying money to do so? Is this piracy?
Is it stealing to go to a freely available internet website to watch a movie that is still in a theater? Is this piracy?
Is it stealing to play a video game in a web browser? Is this piracy?
Is it stealing to use a digital camera to take a picture or record a video (with audio) of an object or event? Is this piracy?

MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 MoonMarvel
[QUOTE="Juggernaut140"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]

Way to edit your post :| Doesn't matter, what you originally said is still in my quote Juggernaut140
Whatever. Next time read the quote before you reply ok? Nothing left to be said here really. And it was correcting it, people miss words sometimes and fix them later... Forget it. :roll:

Uh, no. You edited your post to be completely different than what it was before :| Ultimate cop-out right here folks

:roll: I missed 2 words and went to edit it but found a better way to say it. Go hijack another thread. Now back on topic, as I said before stealing is when you take somebody else property via illegal means without their permission. So in criminal law piracy is indeed stealing, it doesnt need to be direct.
brutal_one88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 brutal_one88
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="brutal_one88"] But if one buys an item, shouldn't it be his to do with what he pleases? If I buy a CD, whether I copy it for friends, shoot it, send it to the moon, resell it or put it under my pillow, it is mine from that moment on. The problem to me isn't that the stuff is being copied, its that the music industry cannot cope. Media is the only thing facing the issue of infringing on property rights. No one else cares what you do with their product after you buy it. Yet, if I choose to share what I buy with others by copying it I am the criminal. Then this brings up the point, why would I want to "buy" something, I cannot really "own"? I find this to be a gray area, at best.

I'm pretty sure you don't have the right to copy something you've purchased. Then a company sells you a product, they do it with the intention that you're the only one possessing it. I think there's an FBI label on the back of every CD that states this.

I guess I wasn't clear... I don't deny it is illegal. I am talking about moral standards, not law. Law cannot be debated, but morals can. I find it morally wrong to charge someone for something then tell them what they can and can't do with it. In this case, they do not actually "own" the item. If I own something, I will do with it as I please, end of story. It's like buying a shirt but with the stipulation that you cannot wear it to specific events. If I buy something from you, it is no longer yours and you forfeit all rights to it. Its the way it always was until the media world found out they cannot adapt to the way the world has become... Change is the only constant, adapt or die.
McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 McJugga

It's easier to just get the damn game from a store. Piracy is definitely NOT for the impatient type.

QWERTYCommander
You could pirate a game faster than you could go to the store and come back, as long as your internet is fast enough.
needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

yeah, i would consider it stealing, i'm not going to try to stop someone from doing it though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

[QUOTE="Juggernaut140"]Just because you obtained something illegally doesn't mean you stole it :|MoonMarvel

Thats a really dumb example. No, if you purchased it from the back of some guys trunk then no, you did not steal it, you may have broken other laws (not sure about that), but if you took it from the guy without paying for it that would be stealing.

AKS01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 AKS01
Member since 2010 • 73 Posts

No, it's copyright infringement, not theft. There is a difference.

MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 MoonMarvel
[QUOTE="McJugga"][QUOTE="QWERTYCommander"]

It's easier to just get the damn game from a store. Piracy is definitely NOT for the impatient type.

You could pirate a game faster than you could go to the store and come back, as long as your internet is fast enough.

It can take days if the file is large enough.
McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 McJugga

[QUOTE="racer8dan"]

Are you.... Arguing against yourself?

McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 McJugga
[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"][QUOTE="McJugga"][QUOTE="QWERTYCommander"]

Only if you're a total n0000b. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 deactivated-5cacc9e03b460

[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="McJugga"] Similarities exist, that doesn't make them "exactly" the same, as you previously stated. My shoes and my hat are both smooth, red and have a blue bottom. Yet they are still not exactly the same thing.McJugga

I never stated whether I believed piracy should or shouldn't be considered stealing. You said that going to a store and physically removing that product is "exactly" the same as pirating. It most certainly is not.

you're right, its not. But the only difference is, I'm not getting the 40 cent cd with my freely acquired media

RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts

No. Pirated games, music, movies, ect. are always lower quality than the real deal. And they're just files, not objects. Files shouldn't have a price tag (that's you, itunes!).

Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Juggernaut140

[QUOTE="Juggernaut140"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]Whatever. Next time read the quote before you reply ok? Nothing left to be said here really. And it was correcting it, people miss words sometimes and fix them later... Forget it. :roll:

MoonMarvel

Uh, no. You edited your post to be completely different than what it was before :| Ultimate cop-out right here folks

:roll: I missed 2 words and went to edit it but found a better way to say it. Go hijack another thread. Now back on topic, as I said before stealing is when you take somebody else property via illegal means without their permission. So in criminal law piracy is indeed stealing, it doesnt need to be direct.

What you originally wrote:

"Stealing is when you obtain something via illegal means, so yes it is stealing."

What you edited it to be:

"Stealing is is the illegal taking of another person's property without that person's freely-given consent, so yes it is stealing."

Both completely different things.

Assassin1349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Assassin1349
Member since 2009 • 2798 Posts

No. Pirated games, music, movies, ect. are always lower quality than the real deal. And they're just files, not objects. Files shouldn't have a price tag (that's you, itunes!).

RobboElRobbo
Haha, not always. Assassins Creed 2 for example. The DRM on the retail version is absurd.
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 MoonMarvel

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"][QUOTE="racer8dan"]If I obtain a perscription dug via illegal means your saying I stole it?racer8dan

Thats a really dumb example. No, if you purchased it from the back of some guys trunk then no, you did not steal it, you may have broken other laws (not sure about that), but if you took it from the guy without paying for it that would be stealing.

Actually its a good example, you just got caught making an incorrect statement. Need I quote you? too bad already did. YOU said when you acquire something would have otherwised cost money I stole it, so by YOUR definition if I get a perscription drug via illegal means, any illegal means I stole it. That is false, just because I ilegally aquired it and it would have cost me money otherwise doesnt mean I stole it.

MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 MoonMarvel
[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"][QUOTE="McJugga"] You could pirate a game faster than you could go to the store and come back, as long as your internet is fast enough.McJugga

Or your net sucks. Which mine does.
McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 McJugga
[QUOTE="McJugga"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]It can take days if the file is large enough.MoonMarvel

"as long as your internet is fast enough." :|
Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts
Piracy isn't stealing. It might be just as bad in some cases, but you don't actually cause the original creator/owner to physically lose something... so it can't be considered stealing.
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 MoonMarvel

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"][QUOTE="Juggernaut140"] Uh, no. You edited your post to be completely different than what it was before :| Ultimate cop-out right here folksJuggernaut140

"Stealing is when you obtain something via illegal means, so yes it is stealing."

"Stealing is is the illegal taking of another person's property without that person's freely-given consent, so yes it is stealing."

Stop trying to hijack this thread, its trolling. As I said, I missed two words and went to edit it but found a better way to say it. I am done here.
RobboElRobbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 RobboElRobbo
Member since 2009 • 13668 Posts
[QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

Assassin1349
Haha, not always. Assassins Creed 2 for example. The DRM on the retail version is absurd.

The console versions were amazing. If it wasn't priced at 60 dollars then they wouldn't have a huge piracy problem. 60 is too much for a PC game.

MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 MoonMarvel
[QUOTE="McJugga"]

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"][QUOTE="racer8dan"]When you illegally acquire something that would have otherwised cost money, its called stealing:|

:| That doesnt make any sense.
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 MoonMarvel
[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"][QUOTE="McJugga"] Only if you're a total n0000b. :PMcJugga

Mine is fast enough, its just not good. Speed doesnt equal quality. :|
cyberdarkkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#143 cyberdarkkid
Member since 2007 • 16777 Posts

Juggernaut140

True there, Specially after you make a post like this

Actually its a good example, you just got caught making an incorrect statement. Need I quote you? too bad already did. YOU said when you acquire something would have otherwised cost money I stole it, so by YOUR definition if I get a perscription drug via illegal means, any illegal means I stole it. That is false, just because I ilegally aquired it and it would have cost me money otherwise doesnt mean I stole it.

MoonMarvel

Assassin1349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Assassin1349
[QUOTE="Assassin1349"][QUOTE="RobboElRobbo"]

RobboElRobbo

The console versions were amazing. If it wasn't priced at 60 dollars then they wouldn't have a huge piracy problem. 60 is too much for a PC game.

It isn't really the 60 dollar price tag that ruined it. No one wants to buy it strictly because of the DRM which requires you to have an active internet connection at all times so you can stay logged on to the ubi servers. Also the saves are stored on their servers and they have been having trouble keeping the servers up.
McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 McJugga

[QUOTE="McJugga"]

[QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]If I obtain a perscription dug via illegal means your saying I stole it?MoonMarvel

:| That doesnt make any sense.

Really? Let's put two of your quotes together and see what happens.

You: "Stealing is when you obtain something via illegal means."

You: "If I obtain a perscription dug via illegal means your saying I stole it?"

Hm...

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 JustPlainLucas
[QUOTE="McJugga"] I never stated whether I believed piracy should or shouldn't be considered stealing. You said that going to a store and physically removing that product is "exactly" the same as pirating. It most certainly is not.

Fine, both Guy A and Guy B didn't obtain the album exactly the same way, but t hey both STOLE it. That's all I'm saying... sheesh.
Assassin1349

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Assassin1349
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="McJugga"] I never stated whether I believed piracy should or shouldn't be considered stealing. You said that going to a store and physically removing that product is "exactly" the same as pirating. It most certainly is not.

Fine, both Guy A and Guy B didn't obtain the album exactly the same way, but t hey both STOLE it. That's all I'm saying... sheesh.

No they didn't!!!!!!! Gawd.
McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 McJugga
[QUOTE="McJugga"][QUOTE="MoonMarvel"]Or your net sucks. Which mine does.MoonMarvel

Mine is fast enough, its just not good. Speed doesnt equal quality. :|

Alright, I guess I should have posted: "You could pirate a game faster than you could go to the store and come back, as long as your internet is fast enough. Assuming the store is at least a good two miles away, you aren't speeding, there is a fair amount of traffic, you have a decent internet speed (20 mb/s), know how to download something at that speed, don't have other downloads going on at the same time, have a reliable internet connection that isn't going to periodically turn off, and a computer with enough storage space for the game you are downloading." I'll make sure to edit all of that in there.
McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 McJugga
[QUOTE="JustPlainLucas"][QUOTE="McJugga"] I never stated whether I believed piracy should or shouldn't be considered stealing. You said that going to a store and physically removing that product is "exactly" the same as pirating. It most certainly is not.

But then... Both of them went to the store and took the physical copy out of the store... What does this have to do with piracy?