Is Above The Influence Cool or Something?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JuggaloRandall
Member since 2010 • 8213 Posts

Read entire post please.

This silly thing has been going on for a while now. All these kids saying they are above the influence because of that stupid add you see on TV and pretty much everywhere else. Im personally not above the influence, I smoke and do other stuff. But whyfollow the herd instead of doing it on your own. This subject I have been pondering since one of their latest commercialstated "if everybody else is doing it". Or something along those lines, im not a damn expert on this stuff. It seems that it's a desperate attempt to make it look cool.

What ever happened to the old egg in the frying pan? Why not decline from drinking and smoking, ect... because you want to, not because your Above the influence.

EDIT: I believe Above the Influence is trying to round up more kids by saying "everybody's doing it". That's trying to make it look cool. Lordy lord.

entropyecho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 entropyecho
Member since 2005 • 22053 Posts

That's EXACTLY what someone who's above the influence would say.

KillerWabbit23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 KillerWabbit23
Member since 2009 • 3466 Posts

whatever works, I guess. The ads are a little annoying though... especially in Nintendo Power. Seriously? /targetaudiencefail

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

but they are still making a personal choice to be above the influence, so it really is like the egg in the frying pan(ive personally never heard that before :P)

Nintendevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Nintendevil
Member since 2007 • 6598 Posts
idk. proabaly because a lot of people who do drugs do it because they are pressured to.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts

Then you turn 18 and realize no one actually cares who smokes or not, cept potential girlfriends and employers.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 konvikt_17

Then you turn 18 and realize no one actually cares who smokes or not, cept potential girlfriends and employers.

FrostyPhantasm

and police

JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JuggaloRandall

FrostyPhantasm
I have caught so much crap for smoking lol. And im 19
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

idk. proabaly because a lot of people who do drugs do it because they are pressured to.Nintendevil

And...the anti-drug people will tell you that you shouldn't let yourself get peer-pressured into doing drugs. But what...it's somehow okay for people to get peer-pressured into NOT doing drugs?

hokies1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hokies1313
Member since 2005 • 13919 Posts
Frankly, it would be following the herd (from what I've seen) by partaking in certain substances that would place me under the influence. To be honest, I don't see the appeal. So like, okay bro you smoke up and get hungry and stuff and find everything funny. Cool I guess, if you're not completely able to do that while not smoking anything. Smoke all you like if you want, but don't question why people choose not to. Maybe they are choosing to be "Above the Influence."
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

What is wrong with the ads?

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Pixel-Pirate

Frankly, it would be following the herd (from what I've seen) by partaking in certain substances that would place me under the influence. To be honest, I don't see the appeal. So like, okay bro you smoke up and get hungry and stuff and find everything funny. Cool I guess, if you're not completely able to do that while not smoking anything. Smoke all you like if you want, but don't question why people choose not to. Maybe they are choosing to be "Above the Influence."hokies1313

Post of the year right here.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I think "above the influence" means that they're not drinking/doing drugs/smoking because they don't want to, and they aren't going to do it because of peer pressure. I would think I am "above the influence" because other people cannot influence or change my personal choice not to do those things. So basically, it's what you said it isn't.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 konvikt_17

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]

JuggaloRandall

and police

My local po-po are pretty chill about that, they are looking for snow atm.

if only i were so lucky. my local cops are strict as hell. plus living in a small town doesnt help. cops get bored.

Avatar image for Bluestorm-Kalas
Bluestorm-Kalas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bluestorm-Kalas
Member since 2006 • 13073 Posts

Lol, kids who dont drink and smoke these days. Sounds boring.

JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JuggaloRandall
[QUOTE="hokies1313"]Frankly, it would be following the herd (from what I've seen) by partaking in certain substances that would place me under the influence. To be honest, I don't see the appeal. So like, okay bro you smoke up and get hungry and stuff and find everything funny. Cool I guess, if you're not completely able to do that while not smoking anything. Smoke all you like if you want, but don't question why people choose not to. Maybe they are choosing to be "Above the Influence."

There's nothing wrong with choosing not to partake in the use of drugs, I don't encourage it myself even though I partake in certain activities and am a heavy cigarette smoker. But like I said in that add I saw, they said if everybody's doing it. It just seems like a cheap way to get kids to buy stickers and crap or something.
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Pixel-Pirate

FrostyPhantasm

I dunno, I've seen smokers who basically get annoyed that others don't smoke.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrGeezer

Frankly, it would be following the herd (from what I've seen) by partaking in certain substances that would place me under the influence. To be honest, I don't see the appeal. So like, okay bro you smoke up and get hungry and stuff and find everything funny. Cool I guess, if you're not completely able to do that while not smoking anything. Smoke all you like if you want, but don't question why people choose not to. Maybe they are choosing to be "Above the Influence."hokies1313

But by not doing drugs just in order to avoid "following the herd", isn't that EXACTLY the same as simply following a different herd? Then you wouldn't be abstaining from drugs because drugs are bad, you'd be abstaining from drugs just because of a her-mentality type of notion that herd mentalities are bad.

What ever happened to just plain doing what you want to do? And if that happens to be following the herd (or not following the herd), who cares? I mean...I'd have to be pretty stupid to deny myself something that I like, for the sole reason that it's popular and I don't want to be seen as a sheep.

JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JuggaloRandall

[QUOTE="JuggaloRandall"][QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

and police

konvikt_17

My local po-po are pretty chill about that, they are looking for snow atm.

if only i were so lucky. my local cops are strict as hell. plus living in a small town doesnt help. cops get bored.

Yeah it's become a big problem in local towns with in a few short miles of my location. I live in the middle of nowhere so cops are almost non existent in my area. So small villages/towns aren't immune to problems like that, which is terrible, a few of my friends are doing it and it's completely changed them. Snow is too hard core for my taste, and that's going a bit far.
JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JuggaloRandall

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]

Pixel-Pirate

I dunno, I've seen smokers who basically get annoyed that others don't smoke.

Well that's not very cool. Smokers like that give decent people a bad name. I wouldn't ever actually encourage others around me to smoke cigarettes either. Were not all animals lol. Just people that enjoy a good smoke.
hokies1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hokies1313
But by not doing drugs just in order to avoid "following the herd", isn't that EXACTLY the same as simply following a different herd? Then you wouldn't be abstaining from drugs because drugs are bad, you'd be abstaining from drugs just because of a her-mentality type of notion that herd mentalities are bad.What ever happened to just plain doing what you want to do? And if that happens to be following the herd (or not following the herd), who cares? I mean...I'd have to be pretty stupid to deny myself something that I like, for the sole reason that it's popular and I don't want to be seen as a sheep.MrGeezer
My entire post is about choosing whatever you want to do. Like I said, if you want to smoke, smoke. If you don't, then don't. Neither side should be judging the other or calling anything a "herd mentality." I only used the phrase in response to the OP's statement.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 konvikt_17

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

[QUOTE="JuggaloRandall"] My local po-po are pretty chill about that, they are looking for snow atm.JuggaloRandall

Yeah it's become a big problem in local towns with in a few short miles of my location. I live in the middle of nowhere so cops are almost non existent in my area. So small villages/towns aren't immune to problems like that, which is terrible, a few of my friends are doing it and it's completely changed them. Snow is too hard core for my taste, and that's going a bit far.

wow lol, it wasnt until your quoted post, until i realised that when you said snow, you werent talking about the frozen water that comes in winter:lol: *facepalm*

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MrGeezer

You said, "Frankly, it would be following the herd (from what I've seen) by partaking in certain substances that would place me under the influence."

That doesn't seem to indicate that those substances are just a bad idea or that you simply don't want to use them. Instead, that seems to STRONGLY be implying that doing drugs equals following the herd. And in all seriousness, doing crack (just an example) is just as much (not more, not less) an example of "following the herd" as NOT doing crack.

Anyway, I'll accept that you didn't intend that comment to come out like that. But yeah...it actually sort of does look like you're saying that if you do drugs, then you're following the herd.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
Above the Influence was not really popular with anyone when I was in high school still.
UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#28 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
The point of the "above the influence" campaign is to tell you that you don't have to let a chemical substance dictate the choices you make.
Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
Its not about being cool, its about doing the right thing.
JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JuggaloRandall

[QUOTE="JuggaloRandall"][QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

konvikt_17

wow lol, it wasnt until your quoted post, until i realised that when you said snow, you werent talking about the frozen water that comes in winter:lol: *facepalm*

Oh lol, well yeah it's probably not the best time to be saying snow like that.
British_Azimio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 British_Azimio
Member since 2007 • 2459 Posts
The entire thing went right over your head, didn't it?
hokies1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hokies1313

You said, "Frankly, it would be following the herd (from what I've seen) by partaking in certain substances that would place me under the influence."

That doesn't seem to indicate that those substances are just a bad idea or that you simply don't want to use them. Instead, that seems to STRONGLY be implying that doing drugs equals following the herd. And in all seriousness, doing crack (just an example) is just as much (not more, not less) an example of "following the herd" as NOT doing crack.

Anyway, I'll accept that you didn't intend that comment to come out like that. But yeah...it actually sort of does look like you're saying that if you do drugs, then you're following the herd.

MrGeezer
That is not at all what I was implying. What I was saying is that I hardly consider choosing to be "Above the Influence" to be following a herd mentality any more than choosing to be under the influence is. In no way did I mean to imply that just doing drugs is going with the herd. I'm trying to say that there is no reason for either one to be considered "following a herd" because it's all based on personal choice. The whole "herd mentality" is a lot of nonsense.
JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JuggaloRandall
The entire thing went right over your head, didn't it?British_Azimio
I think what I said went over your head.
Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

That's EXACTLY what someone who's above the influence would say.

entropyecho
Worded perfectly.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"]

hokies1313

That is not at all what I was implying. What I was saying is that I hardly consider choosing to be "Above the Influence" to be following a herd mentality any more than choosing to be under the influence is. In no way did I mean to imply that just doing drugs is going with the herd. I'm trying to say that there is no reason for either one to be considered "following a herd" because it's all based on personal choice. The whole "herd mentality" is a lot of nonsense.

Yeah, I already said that I accept that that wasn't what you meant. I'm just saying that to me, it sort of LOOKED like that's what you were saying.

But yeah, I agree...herd mentality is mostly a lot of nonsense. Do it if you want to do it, don't do it if you don't want to do it. That's really all there is to it. There's really no reason for "You're just following the HERD!" to ever even be an issue. Following The Herd is neither an inherently bad thing nor an inherently good thing. On its own, "following the herd" is neither a good reason to do something, or a good reason to NOT do it. Following the herd is really sort of a total non-issue.

DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DudeNtheRoom
Member since 2010 • 1276 Posts
There is something wrong with it. Thier using kids' choices of not doing b/c they just don't want to and making it seem like thats what you do when you're an individual and cool. Problem is if someone does it just to follow along they aren't making their own choice and are more susceptible to following for the rest of their life.
Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

Saying that the commercials are trying to make it look cool is interprited by the individual. To me the people that are pot heads are the farthest from cool even though they think they are the coolest. Its all up to personal opinion.

DudeNtheRoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DudeNtheRoom
Member since 2010 • 1276 Posts

Saying that the commercials are trying to make it look cool is interprited by the individual. To me the people that are pot heads are the farthest from cool even though they think they are the coolest. Its all up to personal opinion.

Nick3306
There are questions to ask to see if you're right 1)Is it the type of ad that has power in numbers? 2)is it telling you that you are better for doing what they say? Both those answers are yes, therefore its not an induvidual interpretation. There indirectly saying "Do this and you'll be cool" They are also indirectly making kids followers. Think of it like this: It only works if they make it seem as if all the cool kids are above the infuence. A nerdy kid would still get picked on. So they have to make you think something that may or not be true......"make you think" sounds like they are choosing for you.
Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Pixel-Pirate

Why do users care if the ad discourages kids from using drugs...? What do you lose?

EolGul2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 EolGul2
Member since 2005 • 1721 Posts

Either smoking or not smoking can be cool, depending who you're asking.

In some groups and cultures, you'll become an outcast if you mention that you smoke weed. Other groups will accept you based on the fact that you smoke weed.

My opinion is that it doesn't matter what's considered cool. Decide what works best for you, and if people don't like you based on that decision, they're not worth spending time with and you shouldn't give any credence to their opinions.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
I mostly don't like the phrase "above the influence" because it is very patronizing to people who make the choice to indulge in alcohol or drugs or whatever. The whole "above the influence" thing gives off a really holier-than-thou vibe to me. I don't know, maybe I'm reading into it too much, but probably not. I don't agree with feeling like you're better than someone because you don't drink or smoke pot or something. You're not automatically a better person, and someone who does indulge is not automatically inferior or a "bad" person. It's all just silly. Just make your own choices and move on with your lives and don't worry about anyone else. Oh god oh man I always rant like mad in threads like this late at night, especially when I myself have been flying. Basically I'll quit while I'm ahead this time.
ChowsSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#42 ChowsSN
Member since 2004 • 10399 Posts

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]

konvikt_17

and police

and parents
carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]

ChowsSN

and police

and parents

Who should have taught their children that drugs are bad and the reasons why (most parents leave this part out, it seems), making your OWN decisions is important, not doing what everyone else is doing, and why alcohol from a young age is bad as well.

spawnassasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 spawnassasin
Member since 2006 • 18702 Posts

we should just have everyone watch Requiem for a dream and let them decide for themselves:P

Suzy_Q_Kazoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Suzy_Q_Kazoo
Member since 2010 • 9899 Posts
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]I think "above the influence" means that they're not drinking/doing drugs/smoking because they don't want to, and they aren't going to do it because of peer pressure. I would think I am "above the influence" because other people cannot influence or change my personal choice not to do those things. So basically, it's what you said it isn't.

I agree with this.
EolGul2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 EolGul2
Member since 2005 • 1721 Posts

Who should have taught their children that drugs are bad

carrot-cake

Drugs are bad in some circumstances, but not all. The word "drugs" is overused despite being poorly understood. Everything from Dr. Pepper to heroin is technically a drug. Some drugs are beneficial to many people. Every doctor alive prescribes drugs. Some drugs are often deleterious and can result in death, but anyone who simply says, "drugs are bad" is basically putting their ignorance on display. Many, many people benefit from drugs.

Evil_Saluki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#47 Evil_Saluki
Member since 2008 • 5217 Posts

Never heard of those adverts but then oh wait, I don't watch TV! Is this about being a kid and taking drugs, drink or smoking? I used to love to do it because the people I wanted to hang out with were doing it. The more they said it was wrong, the more they did it, it was all about being that little rebal, we couldn't get enough of the drama.

Z0MBIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 Z0MBIES
Member since 2005 • 2246 Posts
Honestly, the above the influence commercials make me want to smoke even more. The one kid took like one hit from a joint and sank into the couch. That sounds amazing.
snowman6251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 snowman6251
Member since 2006 • 5321 Posts
Being above the influence is like driving a prius. It gives you a smug sense of self satisfaction that you're better than everyone else. I'm not hating on people for not doing drugs or drinking mind you, people can do whatever they want, I don't care, its a lifestyle choice, and really its the healthier one, but that doesn't mean people should act all smug about it. Before I started drinking (aka before college) I just never brought it up.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
Meh, Drugs, alcohol and smoking are all overrated and given too much value.