Is a pontiac G6 V6 a good car?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Papadrach
Member since 2008 • 1965 Posts

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience driving this car or has it. Any comments, likes, or dislikes about the car? I'm considering getting it and trying it out, but thought i'd ask for peoples opinions.

cd_rom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 cd_rom
Member since 2003 • 13951 Posts
Every pontiac I've ever driven has been in shaudy conditions. In fact, test drove a 3 year old G6 a couple months ago and the interior was already falling apart.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
Every pontiac I've ever driven has been in shaudy conditions. In fact, test drove a 3 year old G6 a couple months ago and the interior was already falling apart.cd_rom
lol I've had similar experiences with them.
msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 msudude211
Member since 2006 • 44517 Posts
Every pontiac I've ever driven has been in shaudy conditions. In fact, test drove a 3 year old G6 a couple months ago and the interior was already falling apart.cd_rom
I've had a G6 GXP for three years now and have never had an issue.
KiIIyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KiIIyou
Member since 2006 • 27204 Posts
[QUOTE="cd_rom"]Every pontiac I've ever driven has been in shaudy conditions. In fact, test drove a 3 year old G6 a couple months ago and the interior was already falling apart.msudude211

Any day now :o
Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Papadrach

Ya I have heard that pontiac used not the best quality interior parts, mostly plastic, but was wondering more on how it drove. Was the torque good?

msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 msudude211
Any day now :oKiIIyou
Lies. :x

Ya I have heard that pontiac used not the best quality interior parts, mostly plastic, but was wondering more on how it drove. Was the torque good?

Papadrach
I don't know what model you're looking into, but my GXP can get to 60 mph in six flat.
Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Papadrach

[QUOTE="KiIIyou"]Any day now :omsudude211
Lies. :x

Papadrach

I don't know what model you're looking into, but my GXP can get to 60 mph in six flat.

Ya i dont have enough money for a GT, GTP, or GXP. Heres a link to it: http://lightningautos.com/vehicle-details/used-2006-pontiac-g6-6-cyl/234148.html#js

auron_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 auron_16
Member since 2008 • 4062 Posts
Can you pop bottles in the ice in it?
judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
So fly like a....
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

I would suggest that you look it up in Consumer Reports, Car & Driver, or Road & Track first.

Their V-8s were okay, never owned a V-6 Pontiac though.

Owned a couple of V-6 Chryslers, got fed up with them - went to the V-8 Hemi, and never looked back.:D

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I wouldn't touch a late model pontiac. The brand doesn't even exist anymore.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

Ehh.. G6's are nothing special. They're a mid-grade Pontiac and they're wrong-wheel drive. I'd much rather have an Altima or Accord if I have to have a front-wheel drive sedan.

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts

Ya i dont have enough money for a GT, GTP, or GXP. Heres a link to it: http://lightningautos.com/vehicle-details/used-2006-pontiac-g6-6-cyl/234148.html#js

Papadrach

For $9k, you can do a lot better than a G6. Just glancing, but on AutoTrader, for less than $10k, I'm seeing a lot of what you seem to be in the market for (mid-size "sporty" sedan).

2002-04 Audi A4

2002-03 BMW 325i

2004-05 Mazda 3

2005-07 Nissan Altima

Just to name a few.

livingundead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 livingundead
Member since 2004 • 225 Posts

Think *Dodge Neon/Chevy Cavalier*. That's what you're essentially getting. I had a Chevy Cobalt (practically the same car), and after 100, 000 km (Canadian miles) it's pretty much a write-off. Everything starts to go on it.

Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Papadrach

Well i can get that car for much less (4-5k) since my dads fiance works there. It would be my first *offical* car. I think for the price why not. I've been driving my girlfriends 2003 grand am gt and want something thats similar or better. I would think this would be better or just near as good as in speed/gas. Plus i like the design of the G6. Interior doesn't really matter to me. Once i get older I'll worry more about the accessories, better used interior parts ( which doesnt really matter to me) and performance.

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hartsickdiscipl

Think *Dodge Neon/Chevy Cavalier*. That's what you're essentially getting. I had a Chevy Cobalt (practically the same car), and after 100, 000 km (Canadian miles) it's pretty much a write-off. Everything starts to go on it.

livingundead

No, a Cobalt is the same as a G5, not a G6. The G6 is the midsize car.

msudude211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 msudude211

livingundead
The G6 is very different than a Cobalt, Neon, or Cavalier... for starters, it's got two more cylinders and is a much bigger car.
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dark__Link

Well i can get that car for much less (4-5k) since my dads fiance works there. It would be my first *offical* car. I think for the price why not. I've been driving my girlfriends 2003 grand am gt and want something thats similar or better. I would think this would be better or just near as good as in speed/gas. Plus i like the design of the G6. Interior doesn't really matter to me. Once i get older I'll worry more about the accessories, better used interior parts ( which doesnt really matter to me) and performance.

Papadrach
There's really no point in getting a V6 that only develops around 200 hp. Turbo 4-cyl engines can have the same power and torque using less gas. Compared to your girlfriend's car, the G6 would be both faster and quicker... but neither cars are what I'd call sporty.
Kurushio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Kurushio
Member since 2004 • 10485 Posts
The G8 is far better but the G6 wouldnt be the worst thing. As long as you maintain the vehicle you shouldnt have too many problems but things do break. It's going to be cheaper to find parts for that than it would a BMW as someone else suggested. Not to mention insurance.
Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Papadrach
[QUOTE="Papadrach"]

Dark__Link
There's really no point in getting a V6 that only develops around 200 hp. Turbo 4-cyl engines can have the same power and torque using less gas. Compared to your girlfriend's car, the G6 would be both faster and quicker... but neither cars are what I'd call sporty.

For some reason i cant see a stock G6 3.5l V6 engine beating a grand am gt in a drag race. The G6 is heavier and.... ya. Not so sure about engine comparisons, just can't see it for some reason.
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
I hear they're pretty fly.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="Papadrach"]

Papadrach

For some reason i cant see a stock G6 3.5l V6 engine beating a grand am gt in a drag race. The G6 is heavier and.... ya. Not so sure about engine comparisons, just can't see it for some reason.

It's a pretty even race. The 3.5 in the G6 V6 puts out more power than the 3.4 in the Grand Am GT, but the Grand Am GT is a bit lighter. If you look up 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, you'll see that they're almost dead even in acceleration. 200hp out of a 3.5l V6 is pretty paltry these days.

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dark__Link
[QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="Papadrach"]

Papadrach

From what I'm seeing, the '06 G6 has 200 hp and 220 lb-ft torque, and '03 Grand Am GT has 175 hp and 205 lb-ft. The G6 only has 300 lb on the Grand Am. Not enough to outweigh the extra torque. But again, it's pointless to even compare because both are pretty slow. If you're in the market for an inexpensive mid-size sedan, you should be looking for comfort, fuel economy and reliability. Not performance.
Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Papadrach
[QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="Papadrach"][QUOTE="Dark__Link"] There's really no point in getting a V6 that only develops around 200 hp. Turbo 4-cyl engines can have the same power and torque using less gas. Compared to your girlfriend's car, the G6 would be both faster and quicker... but neither cars are what I'd call sporty.

From what I'm seeing, the '06 G6 has 200 hp and 220 lb-ft torque, and '03 Grand Am GT has 175 hp and 205 lb-ft. The G6 only has 300 lb on the Grand Am. Not enough to outweigh the extra torque. But again, it's pointless to even compare because both are pretty slow. If you're in the market for an inexpensive mid-size sedan, you should be looking for comfort, fuel economy and reliability. Not performance.

Can't have something in between? For first car i want something along the lines of that. I plan in the next year or two to trade in whatever car i have to put money towards a nicer car with better performance. I know im not going to get a super nice, sporty car that all of you are thinking. Plus if anything, i could super charge the G6. My gf's dad has a 1999 Grand Prix GT Super charged and my god..
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="Papadrach"] For some reason i cant see a stock G6 3.5l V6 engine beating a grand am gt in a drag race. The G6 is heavier and.... ya. Not so sure about engine comparisons, just can't see it for some reason.Papadrach

Can't have something in between? For first car i want something along the lines of that. I plan in the next year or two to trade in whatever car i have to put money towards a nicer car with better performance. I know im not going to get a super nice, sporty car that all of you are thinking. Plus if anything, i could super charge the G6. My gf's dad has a 1999 Grand Prix GT Super charged and my god..

Get a Nissan Altima with their 3.5 V6.. It's a nicer, higher-quality car with more power.

Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Papadrach

[QUOTE="Papadrach"][QUOTE="Dark__Link"] From what I'm seeing, the '06 G6 has 200 hp and 220 lb-ft torque, and '03 Grand Am GT has 175 hp and 205 lb-ft. The G6 only has 300 lb on the Grand Am. Not enough to outweigh the extra torque. But again, it's pointless to even compare because both are pretty slow. If you're in the market for an inexpensive mid-size sedan, you should be looking for comfort, fuel economy and reliability. Not performance.hartsickdiscipl

Get a Nissan Altima with their 3.5 V6.. It's a nicer, higher-quality car with more power.

Can't, my father says to get American made cars only cause parts are cheaper. Idek... Plus he would be paying for over 3/4 of the car since its my first, like he did with my sister and her first car.
gatorteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gatorteen
Member since 2005 • 2760 Posts

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

[QUOTE="Papadrach"] Can't have something in between? For first car i want something along the lines of that. I plan in the next year or two to trade in whatever car i have to put money towards a nicer car with better performance. I know im not going to get a super nice, sporty car that all of you are thinking. Plus if anything, i could super charge the G6. My gf's dad has a 1999 Grand Prix GT Super charged and my god..Papadrach

Can't, my father says to get American made cars only cause parts are cheaper. Idek... Plus he would be paying for over 3/4 of the car since its my first, like he did with my sister and her first car.

How much do you have to spend?

gatorteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gatorteen

Try a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 1997-2003. They have 240 HP and one of the best American Engines ever built. I have a 1999 GT with almost 200,000 miles and it rides perfect. I also have a 99 Grand Am and the Grand Prix is 100 times better.

Sunsha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Sunsha
Member since 2005 • 20662 Posts
I thought about getting one but I ended up getting Chrysler Sebring. It was cheaper and the insurance is cheaper too. I seem to recall a G6 being considered a sports car when it comes to insurance.
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dark__Link
[QUOTE="Papadrach"][QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="Papadrach"] For some reason i cant see a stock G6 3.5l V6 engine beating a grand am gt in a drag race. The G6 is heavier and.... ya. Not so sure about engine comparisons, just can't see it for some reason.

Honestly, if it's your first car, and you only plan on having it for a year or two, you should find the most reliable, least expensive thing you can. An old Civic maybe. There's absolutely no reason to waste any more money if that's your plan. And by the way, DIY SC kits cost like $3000, and you may not the results you're looking for... while at the same time taking a s**** on its reliability.
Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Papadrach

I only have to pay $500 and he'll cover the rest ( like i said, first car, he said he'd do that then im on my own, which im so so so greatful for) But it is around the 4k to 6k? And it has to be from his fiance of 10 years used car dealership. Theyre moving to a much bigger lot and spending hundreds of thousands on inventory in the upcoming months.

F1ame_Shie1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 F1ame_Shie1d
Member since 2010 • 1389 Posts

[QUOTE="msudude211"][QUOTE="cd_rom"]Every pontiac I've ever driven has been in shaudy conditions. In fact, test drove a 3 year old G6 a couple months ago and the interior was already falling apart.KiIIyou

Any car would be falling apart after 3 years of being driven daily without maintinence. True Story. I owned a 96 sunfire that drove better then most of my buddies newer vehicles(2002+). Granted I changed the clutch, tie rod ends, timing chain, water pump, brakes, tires and more(and sold for a profit a year later).

Point is it's all about the how well you treat your vehicle.

gatorteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gatorteen

[QUOTE="KiIIyou"][QUOTE="msudude211"] I've had a G6 GXP for three years now and have never had an issue. F1ame_Shie1d

Any car would be falling apart after 3 years of being driven daily without maintinence. True Story. I owned a 96 sunfire that drove better then most of my buddies newer vehicles(2002+). Granted I changed the clutch, tie rod ends, timing chain, water pump, brakes, tires and more(and sold for a profit a year later).

Point is it's all about the how well you treat your vehicle.

This is so true.

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Dark__Link
[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

[QUOTE="Papadrach"] Can't have something in between? For first car i want something along the lines of that. I plan in the next year or two to trade in whatever car i have to put money towards a nicer car with better performance. I know im not going to get a super nice, sporty car that all of you are thinking. Plus if anything, i could super charge the G6. My gf's dad has a 1999 Grand Prix GT Super charged and my god..Papadrach

Guess where the Altima is manufactured.
Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Papadrach

[QUOTE="Papadrach"][QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

Dark__Link

US or Japan...

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Dark__Link

[QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="Papadrach"] Can't, my father says to get American made cars only cause parts are cheaper. Idek... Plus he would be paying for over 3/4 of the car since its my first, like he did with my sister and her first car.Papadrach

US or Japan...

Yup, the US. Doesn't even matter, though. Your dad's argument can apply to European cars... but not Japanese, considering how flooded the US is with Toyotas, Hondas, and Nissans.
livingundead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 livingundead
Member since 2004 • 225 Posts

AH, right. Sorry. My mistake. Disregard my post people. Haha.

Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Papadrach
[QUOTE="Papadrach"]

[QUOTE="Dark__Link"] Guess where the Altima is manufactured.Dark__Link

US or Japan...

Yup, the US. Doesn't even matter, though. Your dad's argument can apply to European cars... but not Japanese, considering how flooded the US is with Toyotas, Hondas, and Nissans.

Makes sense. Still don't know if i should try for the G6 or wait for an older gt/gtp Pontiac to come in her work. or a used earlier 2000 mustang? Almost had a 2002 camaro for 5,900 her price.
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dark__Link
[QUOTE="Papadrach"] Makes sense. Still don't know if i should try for the G6 or wait for an older gt/gtp Pontiac to come in her work. or a used earlier 2000 mustang? Almost had a 2002 camaro for 5,900 her price.

You said after he pays for the car, you're on your own. So why is he forbidding you from getting a car he wrongly thinks will cost more to repair, when HE won't be paying for that? If the site you linked to earlier was the dealership you're talking about, then I saw an '02 Altima and an '06 Mazda 6. If you can persuade him to reconsider, those are the two I'd look at if I were you.
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts
I thought about getting one but I ended up getting Chrysler Sebring. It was cheaper and the insurance is cheaper too. I seem to recall a G6 being considered a sports car when it comes to insurance.Sunsha
Someone else mentioned it having a V8 engine too? Those are generally gas guzzlers IIRC.
Papadrach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Papadrach
[QUOTE="Sunsha"]I thought about getting one but I ended up getting Chrysler Sebring. It was cheaper and the insurance is cheaper too. I seem to recall a G6 being considered a sports car when it comes to insurance.Baconbits2004
Someone else mentioned it having a V8 engine too? Those are generally gas guzzlers IIRC.

V6 would be better for me than a V8 for sure. But i feel as if a 6 cyl will suite me better than a 4cyl. I currently drive a 2000 ford ranger thats like 18 mpg and i can gas it fine. So the G6 wont be a problem on gas,and it is somewhat speedy comparing it to my gf's 2003 GA GT. I like how that drives so i want something comparable. I know its not a charger or CTS, but its a fast poormans car i'd say...
CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

Go on the D2JSP motor vehicle sub forum, they know a lot more than anyone here.

Sunsha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Sunsha
Member since 2005 • 20662 Posts
V6 would be better for me than a V8 for sure. But i feel as if a 6 cyl will suite me better than a 4cyl. I currently drive a 2000 ford ranger thats like 18 mpg and i can gas it fine. So the G6 wont be a problem on gas,and it is somewhat speedy comparing it to my gf's 2003 GA GT. I like how that drives so i want something comparable. I know its not a charger or CTS, but its a fast poormans car i'd say...Papadrach
I would recommend looking into how much insurance will cost you and if that will be an issue. It would have cost me a significant amount more.
F1ame_Shie1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 F1ame_Shie1d
Member since 2010 • 1389 Posts

DOn't bother with the GTP supercharge. Don't bother with anythng turbo charged either. Just get yourself a good ol' NA v6. Once you get into super/turbo chargers you get into high maintinence costs. Especially around the 200,000k mark. If you're not comfortable with fixing your own vehicles then I HIGHLY recommend you avoid forced induction engines.