Is a college degree worth the cost? You decide.

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

weedfacekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 weedfacekilla
Member since 2009 • 435 Posts

This video is so depressing, sigh, if i drop out though my parents would kick me out of the house ASAP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXpwAOHJsxg&feature=plcp

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

I would still say yes, but the costs, particularly tuition is getting out of control. Before long, not even student loans will be able to help mitigate the costs. While private institutions are allowed to charge whatever they wish, I feel they are eventually going to price themselves out of the market.

And this is coming from a college professor, at a public institution.

Avatar image for WolfattheDoor34
WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 WolfattheDoor34
Member since 2006 • 3278 Posts
it's just a fun way to kill time
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#4 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
College costs are deceptive. Many private institutions artificially inflate costs to look more prestigious, or like they can offer more to students, only to turn around and give more of it back to the needier students. Students from wealthy backgrounds are expected to pay the premium.

In fact, studies have shown that artificially inflating the bottom dollar can boost the finances of tuition driven institutions because students coming from wealthier backgrounds are looking for prestige and cost is one way in which they measure that.
johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

"what did you major in?"

"general studies"

C2N2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 C2N2
Member since 2012 • 759 Posts

I hate my family... They constantly pressure me to do well in school and succeed... I love college and everything... But my dad... He dropped out of high school, but he rose through fire department ranks to be a fire cheif of a large fire department, making nearly $200,000 a year... And he retired from that and got offers galore to be head of safety this and chief safety officer that for multiple oil drilling companies his friends worked at... And now he makes even more than that... With a 10th grade education.

Im not putting my dad down or anything, it just really puts me down seeing how much he accomplished without even finishing high school and how it is more likely than not I won't be able to get a job when I graduate... And I am running nearly a 4.0 average, double major, honors program, will graduate with latin honors, etc... That would all be great if I was going to graduate school (which I'm not because I can't afford another 3+ years of loans)... But it means nothing in the workplace.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

Personally, I feel if you have a passion for something and college can help, by all means take that route.

If that is not the case, I think trade schools are the way to go, like Electrician, Welding, plumbing, automotive. Lot of money to be made from what my friends in those areas tell me.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Worth getting? Hell yes. Actually worth what they charge for it? Not really

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 flazzle

I hate my family... They constantly pressure me to do well in school and succeed... I love college and everything... But my dad... He dropped out of high school, but he rose through fire department ranks to be a fire cheif of a large fire department, making nearly $200,000 a year... And he retired from that and got offers galore to be head of safety this and chief safety officer that for multiple oil drilling companies his friends worked at... And now he makes even more than that... With a 10th grade education.

Im not putting my dad down or anything, it just really puts me down seeing how much he accomplished without even finishing high school and how it is more likely than not I won't be able to get a job when I graduate... And I am running nearly a 4.0 average, double major, honors program, will graduate with latin honors, etc... That would all be great if I was going to graduate school (which I'm not because I can't afford another 3+ years of loans)... But it means nothing in the workplace.

C2N2

Well, I'm sure your dad is a hard worker and does his job well. Thats also part of the formula for being successful. A degree will help you, but won't make you a success.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#10 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I've already made more money from the job I got with my college degree than I put into college.

I would not have gotten this job at my age without college. Simple as that. They would not have hired anybody without a college education or at least 10+ years of experience.

College is more than just a degree. It shows employers you have the responsibility it takes to get through 4+ years of optional schooling. I watched a lot of people drop out of school because they just couldn't make the right decisions it takes to stay in school. Once mom and dad aren't looking over your shoulder constantly, it's amazing to see what happens to a lot of people.

College for a lot of people isn't that hard to get through (from the perspective of taking responsibility and making the right choices, classes and actual work to get through college is always difficult). Though I think you would be surprised at the dropout rates. I was surprised when a good 25% of the people I started from dropped out or just went to a 2 year community college. However those numbers were offset by people who transferred in from 2 year schools.

Education is only part of what college has to offer. Another is a very safe way to become well versed in making the right choices and being responsible. Something that anybody cna learn on their own, but it's a lot easier to learn in the safety net that is college.

Make no mistake, college life is not real life. It's a place where you can fail miserably and not be screwed.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

That depends on what you put into it and overall character. Also depends on the degree and the demand for the job. Personally I think a high school diploma needs to be upgraded in a way that you could get a okay-paying jobs without having to worry about getting a college degree. It's false to say that you won't be successful without a degree but it's also false to say that a college degree is worthless. Again, it depends on your character and your wants and needs. If you want to major in physics, then perhaps you need a degree but for something like English or History, a high school diploma should be fine.

I would still say yes, but the costs, particularly tuition is getting out of control. Before long, not even student loans will be able to help mitigate the costs. While private institutions are allowed to charge whatever they wish, I feel they are eventually going to price themselves out of the market.

jimkabrhel

I'm curious but I've seen a lot of reasons to why college is expensive, from education cuts, out of control college spending to increased demand and increased amount of majors. What do you think are the main reasons?

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
Yeah I'm not sure about University (American Colleges are equivalent to universities in England). Not sure if I should do an apprenticeship then maybe university a little later I don't know.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#13 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

Education is only part of what college has to offer. Another is a very safe way to become well versed in making the right choices and being responsible.

Wasdie

I also still think the most important thing you learn in college is how to educate yourself. No matter what you major in, the field will keep progressing after you graduate, and if you think studying for the final exam is the last time you'll have your nose in a textbook....:lol:

tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#14 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

For my degree, it's not. Then again, It's only 2 grand a year in Ireland.

weedfacekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 weedfacekilla

i was surprised the girl that got a degree in mathematics couldn't find a job, that's just nuts

i think if you're going into medicine,engineering or programming your skills are still valuable in the market, now on the other hand i don't think sociology, liberal arts and the sort which are kinda useless in the market are worth the money

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Education is only part of what college has to offer. Another is a very safe way to become well versed in making the right choices and being responsible.

br0kenrabbit

I also still think the most important thing you learn in college is how to educate yourself. No matter what you major in, the field will keep progressing after you graduate, and if you think studying for the final exam is the last time you'll have your nose in a textbook....:lol:

What I like about post-college education is how it has a lot more relevant meaning. Like here at work I'm teaching myself a lot of new things all of the time, but I see exactly where they will be applied so it never feels like some chore. Arbitrary studying in school sucks, but it's necessary so you can learn how to teach yourself.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 br0kenrabbit

i think if you're going into medicine,engineering or programming your skills are still valuable in the market

weedfacekilla

You're only worth a lot of money as a programmer if you've never worked for anyone before. That way, they can put you on a reverse-engineering team. But once you've done that once, you're dirty, and unless you're a low-level programmer (Assembly, binary) you're pretty much a peon.

Trust me on this one.

If you want to make money in coding without sleeping where you work more often than not, you're going to need some software engineering under your belt.

Dirty coders are a dime-a-dozen.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 br0kenrabbit

What I like about post-college education is how it has a lot more relevant meaning. Like here at work I'm teaching myself a lot of new things all of the time, but I see exactly where they will be applied so it never feels like some chore. Arbitrary studying in school sucks, but it's necessary so you can learn how to teach yourself.

Wasdie

Yup. I've learned more since I left college than I did in all my schooling years including college. It's a more practical education as you said as well.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

i was surprised the girl that got a degree in mathematics couldn't find a job, that's just nuts

i think if you're going into medicine,engineering or programming your skills are still valuable in the market, now on the other hand i don't think sociology, liberal arts and the sort which are kinda useless in the market are worth the money

weedfacekilla

That' s why I chose computer science which has a very broad field of study and with the potential to major in a variety of other fields. Plus most universities (even the top ones) in my country are public so it' s a double win for me.

With today' s limited job opportunities a degree in sciences is a real asset IMO.

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts
Yes a college degree is worth the cost if the school is decent, and you are actually there to learn. Many people go just to go, and get silly degrees just so they can have a degree. Also, junior college is a waste. I got to the best school in my state, and I am there to learn and increase my knowledge, so for me personally, whatever the cost is, is worth it. I struggle to do things without structure, which is why I would rather earn a degree at a college, rather than be like Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting and just read at the library. What I want to do requires intellect and training and knowledge, so a degree is a must have for me.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
That video is in no way depressing and should have no bearing on your college decision. It is deceptive. I happen to know a number of strippers and women in adult entertainment. About 85% of the women there start out as a way to make what they think will be "easy money" for college. So I would expect most of the people working in a red district to have gone to college. As a college grad how with a job I can tell you it is worth it depending on what you wanna do and how far you wanna go. Engineering, science, and medicine are where I would recommend.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

That video is in no way depressing and should have no bearing on your college decision. It is deceptive. I happen to know a number of strippers and women in adult entertainment. About 85% of the women there start out as a way to make what they think will be "easy money" for college. So I would expect most of the people working in a red district to have gone to college. As a college grad how with a job I can tell you it is worth it depending on what you wanna do and how far you wanna go. Engineering, science, and medicine are where I would recommend.Diablo-B

Some even go to the drug business due to the amount of wealth.

Of course there are other ways such as going into the military if you're willing to give 8 or more years of your life to the US government.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
I believe it's worth the cost. Because in general you can pay off whatever the cost was in less than a year. Not only that, but there's a lot to learn at college apart from just academics. Take everything that you can get from it.
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 flazzle

weedfacekilla

She also might be a really crappy interviewie. People forget handling the interview process is important. There is a lot of competition out there, and if you suck at the interview, you aren't going to go very far no matter how good your grades are.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#25 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
If you're really thinking of dropping out based on some random youtube video, maybe college isn't the worst problem you have.
DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
I'm just glad that when I went to school I was able to pay my tuition by working summer jobs. Its at least twice as expensive as it was 10 years ago. I wouldn't be able to do it.
bnarmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 bnarmz
Member since 2012 • 1372 Posts
Depends, Im probably one of a few people that think education should be free, at least until the economy picks up and becomes more diverse. If people cant afford it how can they help society prosper? There needs to be a better way for people to acquire knowledge/skills without having to bankrupt themselves in the process. As of now, there isn't enough demand and opportunities, and way too many college grads are working in places like fast food restaurants and retail, while making close to minimum wage. smh
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wis3boi

Depends, Im probably one of a few people that think education should be free, at least until the economy picks up and becomes more diverse. If people cant afford it how can they help society prosper? There needs to be a better way for people to acquire knowledge/skills without having to bankrupt themselves in the process. As of now, there isn't enough demand and opportunities, and way too many college grads are working in places like fast food restaurants and retail, while making close to minimum wage. smh bnarmz

free....yeah, because offering free services like higher education totally would work. Teachers need to get paid, staff, supplies, electrical, gas, water, internet bills....Yes it's growing too expensive too fast, but asking for it for free is silly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

That depends on what you put into it and overall character. Also depends on the degree and the demand for the job. Personally I think a high school diploma needs to be upgraded in a way that you could get a okay-paying jobs without having to worry about getting a college degree. It's false to say that you won't be successful without a degree but it's also false to say that a college degree is worthless. Again, it depends on your character and your wants and needs. If you want to major in physics, then perhaps you need a degree but for something like English or History, a high school diploma should be fine.

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

leviathan91

I'm curious but I've seen a lot of reasons to why college is expensive, from education cuts, out of control college spending to increased demand and increased amount of majors. What do you think are the main reasons?

The demand for top-level instructors and researchers is one (this does not include instructors focusing on teaching). The demand for services and new facilities is another, especially in athletics.

There are also far too many administrators for my taste, and they have large salaries. I'm at an institution that is primarily teaching and not researching, and the instructors don't get competitive salaries.

There are a lot of problems in higher education, just as there are in elementary and secondary educations. There isn't enough focus on actual EDUCATION, in terms of helping students. The focus is on everything else.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_N7MAr98CI This video might make you more at ease (maybe)
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#31 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

No way man. High school diploma is all you need, just work in a factory hitting the "cycle start" button on a milling machine 500 times a day for the rest of your life. Earning enough for a one bedroom apartment and occasionally you can even pay your car insurance bill.

THAT'S the way the really smart people do it.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38693 Posts
eh.. i've made my tuition back many times over since graduating.. it was worth it for me.
bnarmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bnarmz

[QUOTE="bnarmz"]Depends, Im probably one of a few people that think education should be free, at least until the economy picks up and becomes more diverse. If people cant afford it how can they help society prosper? There needs to be a better way for people to acquire knowledge/skills without having to bankrupt themselves in the process. As of now, there isn't enough demand and opportunities, and way too many college grads are working in places like fast food restaurants and retail, while making close to minimum wage. smh wis3boi

free....yeah, because offering free services like higher education totally would work. Teachers need to get paid, staff, supplies, electrical, gas, water, internet bills....Yes it's growing too expensive too fast, but asking for it for free is silly.

Silly is expecting socieity to prosper when they don't have the knowledge and means to do so. There should be other means because the current way is becoming a detriment for all. It's not like it can't be done. We are the only ones that can change this, I mean, who is stopping it from happening? It all boils down to have and have nots and that will never really help anyone. Once everyone is able to get a fair stab at higher learning everyone will be better off and our collective needs will start fading away because everyone will be more stable and outgoing. With an intelligent society, you'll have less welfare, crime, NEED, therefore a better and well organized budget. When you look at the bigger picture you can see how silly we are in current times, and that free education should be common sense, but common sense isn't common.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="bnarmz"]Depends, Im probably one of a few people that think education should be free, at least until the economy picks up and becomes more diverse. If people cant afford it how can they help society prosper? There needs to be a better way for people to acquire knowledge/skills without having to bankrupt themselves in the process. As of now, there isn't enough demand and opportunities, and way too many college grads are working in places like fast food restaurants and retail, while making close to minimum wage. smh bnarmz

Silly is expecting socieity to prosper when they don't have the knowledge and means to do so. There should be other means because the current way is becoming a detriment for all. It's not like it can't be done. We are the only ones that can change this, I mean, who is stopping it from happening? It all boils down to have and have nots and that will never really help anyone. Once everyone is able to get a fair stab at higher learning everyone will be better off and our collective needs will start fading away because everyone will be more stable and outgoing. With an intelligent society, you'll have less welfare, crime, NEED, therefore a better and well organized budget. When you look at the bigger picture you can see how silly we are in current times, and that free education should be common sense, but common sense isn't common.

where can I move to ths fantasy land where something like this would actually work?

bnarmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bnarmz

[QUOTE="bnarmz"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

where can I move to ths fantasy land where something like this would actually work?

Did I mentioned such a place exist? Hey, it can thou. We (the people) have the power to turn our dreams into reality. We just don't care enough to pressure those we put in charge of our affairs. We just need to be more responsible and caring. As long as we stay negative, divided, and disempowered, our current way of living will continue and get worse. Well atleast until that breaking point comes where everyone is saying "enough is enough".
weedfacekilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 weedfacekilla
If you're really thinking of dropping out based on some random youtube video, maybe college isn't the worst problem you have. Allicrombie
maybe you have no clue how expensive college is, not all of are rich, some of us don't want to in debt for the rest of our lives
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

jimkabrhel
I don't think anyone can debate you that subject. Schools charge what the charge, not because of the quality of education, but because they know people will pay and that students can get loans.
SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

As long as you take it seriously and choose a degree that will actually help you. Many go for degrees that won't help them get a job. It can be tough, but for the most part a good decision.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Most elite private universities are pretty gracious with financial aid now, so I sometimes think this whole overpriced thing is overblown.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Fightingfan

Most elite private universities are pretty gracious with financial aid now, so I sometimes think this whole overpriced thing is overblown.

TacticalDesire
For the price of one year in Harvard I could probably get a master's degree at any state uni.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

Fightingfan

For the price of one year in Harvard I could probably get a master's degree at any state uni.

Yeah, and 80-90%+ of kids at Harvard right now aren't paying that full price. Only people in the "1%" actually pay that tuition. That's what people don't understand about these schools, the pricetag most likely isn't what you will pay. For a family making under 60k a yr, if your kid gets into Harvard, he/she is going completely tuition free for all four years. $0 of tuition per year, that's right. Harvard has a huge endowment. If you get into Harvard, they will make sure you are able to come regardless of your financial situation.

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
Despite the fact that I have a four year Bachelor's degree and am about 60 hours into a Master's degree I am dept free. As such, this question is one I have not had to deal with all that much. My scholarships have always been enough to pay my tuition and a part-time job is enough to pay the rest of my bills. In other words, the question of whether my education has been worth the invested time is of more relevance than whether or not it is worth the money.
Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

Fightingfan

If you get accepted at Harvard chances are you're not going to be paying much out of your pocket.
LLYNCES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 LLYNCES
Member since 2012 • 378 Posts

It depends what you are going for. Chances are if it's something that costs less you are wasting your time. Better off to get into a trade or something, you'll make more money in the long run. It's probably not that fun to spend all that money on a college/university education just for it to be practically useless upon graduating.

At least with a trade all you have to do is find somebody to apprentice you (can be tough depending on where you live) and then you actually make money while being trained. Hell, you are pretty much guaranteed a 40-60k a year salary and you don't have to go into debt to get it.

University seems to be the place where rich kids go to get drunk and screw around and end up working at Walmart after trying to pay their parents for wasting money on their education.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

TacticalDesire

Yeah, and 80-90%+ of kids at Harvard right now aren't paying that full price. Only people in the "1%" actually pay that tuition. That's what people don't understand about these schools, the pricetag most likely isn't what you will pay. For a family making under 60k a yr, if your kid gets into Harvard, he/she is going completely tuition free for all four years. $0 of tuition per year, that's right. Harvard has a huge endowment. If you get into Harvard, they will make sure you are able to come regardless of your financial situation.

Hate to break it to you, but poor people don't go to harvard at all.
mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#46 mattisgod01
Member since 2005 • 3476 Posts

I'm fortunate enough to live in a country that values education thus cost is not an issue. Most people get degrees for the sake of it, Just the next stage after year 12. Not only is University cheap but the Government pays you while you study, Not alot of money ($300-$400/Fortnight) but it saves you from needing a full time job.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
I was going make a thread on that exact video no joke.
undergroundLPx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 undergroundLPx
Member since 2003 • 710 Posts

I could care less. My dad pays everything in full every semester, I'm literally getting free education from a prestigious university. I'll just get a job and start earning as soon as I get my first paycheck. Already got a position at my dad's firm.

Mochyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mochyc
Member since 2007 • 4421 Posts
[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] For the price of one year in Harvard I could probably get a master's degree at any state uni. Fightingfan

Hate to break it to you, but poor people don't go to harvard at all.

That's a big generalization. Despite this, if they aren't going to Harvard it's not because they can't afford it As TacticalDesire said, a poor person wouldn't have to pay a cent.
Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts
I don't know how much an undergraduate degree is worth anymore. They practically give them away. It's very easy to get one even in Science fields. PhD's are where most jobs are for science fields anyway.