• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jaybobi92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 jaybobi92
Member since 2007 • 40 Posts
I'm not really that educated about the Iraq situation, but what i've heard is Bush is in it for oil. Besides, Sounds like a lot of unnescessary violence and wasted money, which is always bad, but like i said, i dont know that much about it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
Member since 2004 • 17092 Posts
Well, oil most certainly played a huge role, but that doesn't matter anymore. We can't just abandon them when it gets hard.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#3 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
Well, oil most certainly played a huge role, but that doesn't matter anymore. We can't just abandon them when it gets hard.jointed
More or less. Then there's the whole Illuminati theories and all of that.
VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts

Well, oil most certainly played a huge role, but that doesn't matter anymore. We can't just abandon them when it gets hard.jointed

I think we should. Its gone on long enough.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

Nope...the major part was going in to finish what his dad started.

MichaeltheCM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#6 MichaeltheCM
Member since 2005 • 22765 Posts
we need to GTFO as soon as possible. they dont want us there, they dont want our help.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Agreed. Regardless of whatever was behind the start of the war, leaving the country in an unstable condition would be grossly irresponsible.

mastersword007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 mastersword007
Member since 2005 • 6630 Posts

[QUOTE="jointed"]Well, oil most certainly played a huge role, but that doesn't matter anymore. We can't just abandon them when it gets hard.VinnoT

Mess the place up, leave afterwards? Nah...
jaybobi92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jaybobi92

It could have come to the point where we've screwed it up so badly, we should just leave, because they'd sort it out sooner without us.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Mess the place up, leave afterwards? Nah...mastersword007

It's like a giant kegger!

Avatar image for nuclear_cookout
nuclear_cookout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nuclear_cookout
Member since 2005 • 8617 Posts
Oil had NOTHING to do with it. Why start a long expensive war when we could just drill on our own land? Why on earth are thegas prices rising in the US if we're getting tons of oil? No. We went in because thathorrible dictator was not only thumbing his nose at us and the sanctions, but was also helping terrorists (and we DID find WMD's, just not nuclear). You guys seem to be forgetting how happy the Iraqi population was when we overthrew him.

Plus, if we leave now, there's gonna be an opening forcontrol. Terrorists will not only take control of Iraq, but they'll see our pullout as retreat, which will just embolden them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33

[QUOTE="jointed"]Well, oil most certainly played a huge role, but that doesn't matter anymore. We can't just abandon them when it gets hard.LJS9502_basic

Ehm yes, it's kind of obvious. The petrodollar recycle was being threatened by Saddam...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="jointed"]Well, oil most certainly played a huge role, but that doesn't matter anymore. We can't just abandon them when it gets hard.jointed

Ehm yes, it's kind of obvious. The petrodollar recycle was being threatened by Saddam...

What specific date?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="jointed"]Well, oil most certainly played a huge role, but that doesn't matter anymore. We can't just abandon them when it gets hard.LJS9502_basic

What specific date?

Well, Saddam sealed his fate when he decided to switch to the Euro in late 2000 (and later converted his $10 billion reserve fund at the U.N. to euros). This has no specific date, since it occured over a period of time.

jaybobi92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jaybobi92

Everyone goes on and on and on about how Bush strated the war for oil. But why does he want the oil? For the American people.

Im not saying that the war or Bush is good, just pointing out a flaw in that argument.

quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts
Oil is a bonus. The whole operation was a neo-Con wetdream and Bush was very up front about trying to invade them so that they can be democratic and set an example for Middle Eastern countries to follow.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic

Well, Saddam sealed his fate when he decided to switch to the Euro in late 2000 (and later converted his $10 billion reserve fund at the U.N. to euros). This has no specific date, since it occured over a period of time.

jointed

So no date? Anyway...his reason was what I stated it was. Payback. The oil reason is vastly overrated.

RamboSymbiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RamboSymbiot
Member since 2007 • 6302 Posts
Go Bush GO!!
jaybobi92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jaybobi92
Hmmm. Didnt we give Saddam the WMDs in the first place?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

LJS9502_basic

So no date? Anyway...his reason was what I stated it was. Payback. The oil reason is vastly overrated.

I told you that it was in late 2000.

Payback? That's way too simplistic. Saddam converted to the Euro, by doing this the petrodollar's hegemony was being threatened. I fail to see how this can be overlooked, it's a major event.

Iran is doing the same thing as Iraq did, and now they're talking about invading them. Suspicious? yes...

jaybobi92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jaybobi92
DAMMIT PEOPLE USE TOO MANY COLLEGE WORDS
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LJS9502_basic

Payback? That's way too simplistic. Saddam converted to the Euro, by doing this the petrodollar's hegemony was being threatened. I fail to see how this can be overlooked, it's a major event.

Iran is doing the same thing as Iraq did, and now they're talking about invading them. Suspicious? yes...

jointed

No. Are you saying Iran is doing nothing wrong?Plus, I haven't heard anything here about invading Iran.

Iraq wasn't important enough to worry whether they used the Euro or not.:roll:

TwiztedMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 TwiztedMetal
Member since 2007 • 866 Posts

[QUOTE="jointed"]Well, oil most certainly played a huge role, but that doesn't matter anymore. We can't just abandon them when it gets hard.VinnoT

I wouldn't say that have we forgot about Vietnam? If we cut and run all the people that have died would be in vain. It is truly sad how people can sit back and dictate from our couches in our nice houses what we think what is best when we only know what the media wants us to know. Which I might add is a little biased. Everytime I have talked to a soldiers I always ask do you think we should be there and 90% of the time they say yes. The other 10% from what I understand are just tired but think there is a just reason. But on the other hand it sure does sound tempting to pull out and then let Iran invade Iraq and take over 70 to 80 percent of the worlds oil supply then I would like to see a new topics on we shouldn't have pulled out and the other great topic of why are gas prices so high?

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 Rikusaki
Member since 2006 • 16634 Posts

Oil had NOTHING to do with it. Why start a long expensive war when we could just drill on our own land? Why on earth are thegas prices rising in the US if we're getting tons of oil? No. We went in because thathorrible dictator was not only thumbing his nose at us and the sanctions, but was also helping terrorists (and we DID find WMD's, just not nuclear). You guys seem to be forgetting how happy the Iraqi population was when we overthrew him.

Plus, if we leave now, there's gonna be an opening forcontrol. Terrorists will not only take control of Iraq, but they'll see our pullout as retreat, which will just embolden them.nuclear_cookout

you are obviously a conservative. oil had everything to do with it. we have to leave now. vote obama.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

LJS9502_basic

No. Are you saying Iran is doing nothing wrong?Plus, I haven't heard anything here about invading Iran.

Iraq wasn't important enough to worry whether they used the Euro or not.:roll:

I think you should read up on what the petrodollar actually is and what the concequences will be if even one nations breaks from the cycle.

Iran is not an ok nation, but it's no way near as problematic as North Korea for example.

You haven't heard anything about using military meassures against Iran? Are you kidding me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjGX2Gdj2Y4

TwiztedMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TwiztedMetal

vote obama.

Rikusaki

Barack Hussein Obama --- You see that middle name? I think god is trying to tell us something and it is not to put him in office lol! IMO

xXBuffJeffXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 xXBuffJeffXx
Member since 2006 • 5913 Posts
I think it had been a Bush Administration fantasy since the onset of their first term. Bush probably sincerely believed that he was doing the right thing and that it could all be accomplished with a relatively low cost in terms of lives, assets, and political alienation on the international stage. Of course, a number of incredibly naive assumptions were factored into the planning process and now we're here. What was supposed to be, in their mind, a wham-bam-thank you-ma'm operation that would put pressure on Islamic fundamentalists in the Middle East has bludgeoned into a monster. Every time I see more wounded and dead soldiers or civilians on the news it breaks my heart. But, hey, we got Saddam Hussein, right?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LJS9502_basic

I think you should read up on what the petrodollar actually is and what the concequences will be if even one nations breaks from the cycle.

Iran is not an ok nation, but it's no way near as problematic as North Korea for example.

You haven't heard anything about using military meassures against Iran? Are you kidding me?

jointed

I don't use youtube for news. Second, there was squawking awhile ago about Iran...not just from the US...but it's died down. If Iran is invaded it will undoubtedly be due to a consensus of nations.

Blaming oil is too simplistic. We don't actually get that much oil from Iraq...so Iraq switching to Euro...not important.

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rikusaki
[QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

vote obama.

TwiztedMetal

Barack Hussein Obama --- You see that middle name? I think god is trying to tell us something and it is not to put him in office lol! IMO

Wow thats really sad..... All you can do is attack his name. You should work for FOX news....

jaybobi92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jaybobi92
[QUOTE="TwiztedMetal"][QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

vote obama.

Rikusaki

Wow thats really sad..... All you can do is attack his name. You should work for FOX news....

Dude i think that was a JOKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5901ac91d8e33
[QUOTE="jointed"]

LJS9502_basic

I don't use youtube for news. Second, there was squawking awhile ago about Iran...not just from the US...but it's died down. If Iran is invaded it will undoubtedly be due to a consensus of nations.

Blaming oil is too simplistic. We don't actually get that much oil from Iraq...so Iraq switching to Euro...not important.

It's was a clip from CNN...

And blaming oil is far from being simplistic since there's a complex system behind it. It doesn't matter wether you get much oil from Iraq or not, that's not how it works. I suggest you read up on it so we can have a proper discussion about this someday.

Peace out, I'm going to sleep...

TwiztedMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TwiztedMetal
[QUOTE="TwiztedMetal"][QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

vote obama.

Rikusaki

Thats not all I can do but all i choose to do. I choose not to waste my time talking about people that don't mean that much and two of the top people on my list is first Hillary and number two Obama. I seriously think if either of those two get in office it will be a long 4 years......

Rikusaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Rikusaki
[QUOTE="Rikusaki"][QUOTE="TwiztedMetal"][QUOTE="Rikusaki"]

vote obama.

jaybobi92

Dude i think that was a JOKE

lol ooops! ill go make out with ratchet now... brb

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic

And blaming oil is far from being simplistic since there's a complex system behind it. It doesn't matter wether you get much oil from Iraq or not, that's not how it works. I suggest you read up on it so we can have a proper discussion.

jointed

The US has other ways to get what they want without war. This war was personal.....oil is just a cheap excuse used by those that don't know the reason.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic

Peace out, I'm going to sleep...

jointed

It's just after 11....take it easy.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 deactivated-583e5f64e0a7e
Member since 2003 • 8419 Posts

Now how would we do that with your bias? Hmmm? The US has other ways to get what they want without war. This war was personal.....oil is just a cheap excuse used by those that don't know the reason.

LJS9502_basic

I also don't see how oil is relevant in the discussion. Considering the Iraq constitution is being ratified further to have all proceeds going directly to it's populace. Not to mention, it's also owned by the people. People say it as though we are there to take it all and come home.

1337street

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 1337street
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="jointed"]

And blaming oil is far from being simplistic since there's a complex system behind it. It doesn't matter wether you get much oil from Iraq or not, that's not how it works. I suggest you read up on it so we can have a proper discussion.

LJS9502_basic

The US has other ways to get what they want without war. This war was personal.....oil is just a cheap excuse used by those that don't know the reason.

Woo!

Americaaaaa! you told him :D

Insane00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Insane00
Member since 2003 • 1267 Posts
[QUOTE="jointed"]

LJS9502_basic

Yea, like Iraq was invaded because of a consensus of nations. :roll:

Insane00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Insane00

Plus, if we leave now, there's gonna be an opening forcontrol. Terrorists will not only take control of Iraq, but they'll see our pullout as retreat, which will just embolden them.nuclear_cookout

Show me two things and I will listen to you:

1. A legitimate report showing we found WMDs of any type (with an explaination of what the WMDs were and where they were found) after we invaded.

2. A single quote prior to our invation from any of those in office during invasion stating that our main goal in Iraq was to dispose Saddam (which is kinda hypocritical being as our government got the man into office in the first place).

Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
It is most likely because of oil, and "that guy tried to kill my dad". If it were to "defend democracy", a whole number of countries could have been invaded. The US only invade to protect their own interests. They did it in Korea and Vietnam, and they did it in Iraq.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic

Insane00

Read carefully....where did I say Iraq was invaded by a consensus of nations?:roll:

Apples are a fruit...oranges are a fruit. But apples are not oranges.

Insane00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Insane00
[QUOTE="Insane00"]

LJS9502_basic

Read carefully....where did I say Iraq was invaded by a consensus of nations?:roll:

Apples are a fruit...oranges are a fruit. But apples are not oranges.

You didn't.

I was just pointing out that if the US invaded Iraq without having a consensus there seems to be no reason to expect our government to wait for support from other nations for it to decide to invade Iran.

OODALOOP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43 OODALOOP
Member since 2004 • 36350 Posts
we need to GTFO as soon as possible. they dont want us there, they dont want our help.MichaeltheCM
Who doesn't want us there, the citizens of Iraq or the insurgents?
Putzwapputzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#44 Putzwapputzen
Member since 2005 • 4462 Posts
yeah man hes in it for the oil no doubt.
PerilousWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PerilousWolf
Member since 2007 • 1544 Posts
[QUOTE="VinnoT"]

[QUOTE="jointed"]Well, oil most certainly played a huge role, but that doesn't matter anymore. We can't just abandon them when it gets hard.TwiztedMetal

I wouldn't say that have we forgot about Vietnam? If we cut and run all the people that have died would be in vain. It is truly sad how people can sit back and dictate from our couches in our nice houses what we think what is best when we only know what the media wants us to know. Which I might add is a little biased. Everytime I have talked to a soldiers I always ask do you think we should be there and 90% of the time they say yes. The other 10% from what I understand are just tired but think there is a just reason. But on the other hand it sure does sound tempting to pull out and then let Iran invade Iraq and take over 70 to 80 percent of the worlds oil supply then I would like to see a new topics on we shouldn't have pulled out and the other great topic of why are gas prices so high?

QFT

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

I'm not really that educated about the Iraq situation, but what i've heard is Bush is in it for oil. Besides, Sounds like a lot of unnescessary violence and wasted money, which is always bad, but like i said, i dont know that much about it.jaybobi92

People want their gas. Besides.. Iraq couldn't contain their own problems so someone had to over there hold their hand. This is life. If you can't contain your own problems someone else will be breathing down your neck.

This aint a war. It's no where near being war. The death toll is so far behind that it will never qualify as a war. I blame Gerorge senior Bush. He should of killed Saddam back during Desert Storm and reformated their goverment back then.

When you have a threat you go exterminate it. They're like roaches. They keep coming back so unless you finish them all off they will keep coming back.

Laserwolf65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47 Laserwolf65
Member since 2003 • 6701 Posts
No one really knows why we're there. I don't even think those who made the decision know why we're there.
makaveli2344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 makaveli2344
Member since 2007 • 3106 Posts

I know that its not right for anyone to kill anyone, on either sides of the War.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#49 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I think it had been a Bush Administration fantasy since the onset of their first term. Bush probably sincerely believed that he was doing the right thing and that it could all be accomplished with a relatively low cost in terms of lives, assets, and political alienation on the international stage. Of course, a number of incredibly naive assumptions were factored into the planning process and now we're here. What was supposed to be, in their mind, a wham-bam-thank you-ma'm operation that would put pressure on Islamic fundamentalists in the Middle East has bludgeoned into a monster. Every time I see more wounded and dead soldiers or civilians on the news it breaks my heart. But, hey, we got Saddam Hussein, right? xXBuffJeffXx

Amen to that.

OODALOOP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 OODALOOP
Member since 2004 • 36350 Posts
No one really knows why we're there. I don't even think those who made the decision know why we're there.Laserwolf65
I've heard it said if you can't simplify a subject in terms a 3rd grader would understand, you probably don't have a good handle on the subject yourself. So, here goes, in simplest terms. When George W. Bush was inaugurated (Jan. 01), he spoke with Bill Clinton briefly, and they shared ideas. At that time, Bush mentioned Iraq as one of his goals. Along with Paul Wolfowitz, Deputy Secretary of Defense at the time, Bush began putting his plan into motion. There were a few men in Bush's own administration who were against the idea. Dick Cheney agreed with the current containment plan, which had been our policy since Desert Storm, under direction by CENTCOM CIC Gen. Anthony Zinni. However, some planes had been shot at and chemical and biological weapons inspectors were given the run-around. Iraq was becoming hostile, but not a threat. Most Americans, including Democratic politicians, were under the impression that Iraq was still in possession of chemical weapons. They added to this fear by blatantly frustrating international efforts to search for the weapons so they could ultimately be dismantled. No definitive evidence was ever found. However, after 9/11 Bush put Iraq into motion. Admittedly, it was opportunistic, because to the uninformed citizen, one Middle Eastern nation seemed just as good as the next, when they were demanding retribution for the WTC. The invasion and destruction of Iraq's government and military took only a few weeks to topple completely. However, under the guidance of Donald Rumsfeld, the Secretary of Defense, and Gen. Tommy Franks, the CENTCOM CIC who replaced Zinni for the war, Bush did not have a satisfactory plan for the aftermath of the war. It was skimpy at best. Because the oppressive Baathist regime was eliminated, centuries old ethnic and religious strife was free to be relived and battled over without repercussion. When men and women from Iran, Syria, and other Islamic nations who feel enmity towards the West for various economic, cultural, and religious reasons found out that America was in the middle of a chaotic sectarian struggle. They entered the nation and attempted to tear down and destroy any success made. They used not just guerrilla tactics to make hit-and-run attacks on a technologically superior military, but they use the media in their favor to cast our efforts to restore order to a nation which we helped destabilize as invasion, imperialism, and a holy war. We initially got off to a bad start. L. Paul Bremer worked the civic or diplomatic portion of the restructuring of Iraq's government and military, while Gen. John Abizaid replaced Gen. Franks as the new CENTCOM CIC. The two worked independently, without proper coordination, and because of this, were often countering each other's successes. On the ground, the same was true between different units in areas of Iraq. While some would come in hard and heavy, knocking heads and using force to quell uprisings, other units would use a velvet glove approach, working with local leaders, remaining at a distance, as advisers or security, so Iraq's new military and government could take over. But, when one unit would rotate back to the states, another unit would come in and use entirely different tactics and cancel all progress that had been made over the past 6 months. However, many months and hundreds of millions of dollars, the war began to significantly lose popularity. It was too complicated for the average citizen to understand, and few wanted to waste the time trying to understand it. Few believed there is anything that worthwhile about Iraq to be spending this much money, times, and lives on. However, at this same time, the momentum shifted in Iraq. We became more organized, the troop surge began to work, and Gen Petraeus, the leading expert on counter-insurgency in the United States military, who was unanimously chosen by Congress, brought violence down. He has been making improvements that some thought weren't possible. Since the war lost popularity, the media has lost interest in the war, besides the now rare event of a suicide bomb or helicopter accident. It's becoming increasingly hard for the media to validate people's incorrect judgment's about American military failure in Iraq. The outcome of the situation will mostly be decided by the upcoming election. Most candidates pander to the public opinion and media sources who call for immediate withdrawal from the region. However, some candidates are willing to go against popular opinion and suggest options that will both satisfy America's tiredness with the war and a solution that won't leave Iraq and it's people we've helped over the last 4 years in worse shape then when we started.