Internet Sales Tax Bill Gains Ground in Senate

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

when will Washington realize it has a spending problem rather than a revenue problem?

sexyweapons

Probably when you realize that this isn't a federal tax, but rather a bill making it easier for states to collect taxes on online purchases.

--Anna--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 --Anna--
Member since 2007 • 4636 Posts

[QUOTE="--Anna--"]lol. that's total BS. local offline small businesses already have to pay outrageous taxes, genius.buccomatic

The good thing about this legislation is that it can rationally put an option on the table for reducing those taxes, given the revenue from online sales tax would make up for the difference in taxes. This is an argument you would hear from birck-and-mortar stores in support of this policy. Essentially, it puts some pressure off local offline businesses to foot the commerce bill the government demands by spreading the weight over to online retailers.

they don't want to reduce taxes, ace. that's why this bill targets online retailers. it's done so they have yet another demographic to attack that already isn't getting taxed to death. derp.

GET YOUR QUOTE RIGHT.... OR DON'T EVEN BOTHER TO POST!  DA.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

[QUOTE="sexyweapons"]

when will Washington realize it has a spending problem rather than a revenue problem?

worlock77

Probably when you realize that this isn't a federal tax, but rather a bill making it easier for states to collect taxes on online purchases.

mhmm
buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

[QUOTE="buccomatic"][QUOTE="--Anna--"]

The good thing about this legislation is that it can rationally put an option on the table for reducing those taxes, given the revenue from online sales tax would make up for the difference in taxes. This is an argument you would hear from birck-and-mortar stores in support of this policy. Essentially, it puts some pressure off local offline businesses to foot the commerce bill the government demands by spreading the weight over to online retailers.

--Anna--

they don't want to reduce taxes, ace. that's why this bill targets online retailers. it's done so they have yet another demographic to attack that already isn't getting taxed to death. derp.

GET YOUR QUOTE RIGHT.... OR DON'T EVEN BOTHER TO POST!  DA.

shut up and stop yelling, captain spazmatic. just because the stupid forum is bugged doesn't mean the point i'm making isn't 100% accurate. it is 100% accurate and if you don't like it, tough sh!t. derp.
OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#55 OrkHammer007
Member since 2006 • 4753 Posts

Online retail is only a threat to brick-and-mortar stores because brick-and-mortar stores are becoming obsolete.Laihendi
Brick-and-mortar stores are becoming/have become obsolete in many cases because the space isn't there for the kind of inventory that could compete with online shopping.

Example: Walk into a retail store right now and look at their PC game selection. If you get over 50 titles, I'll be impressed.

Go to any online retailer or digital distribution store. It's increasingly rare if you can't find a title you want there.

There are still some types of inventory you should still expect to see in physical stores. I doubt you'll order your groceries online when it's much more efficient to buy it at a supermarket, for example. Also, trying on shoes would be difficult over a PC monitor or smartphone/tablet screen.

So no... it's not about "tearing down one sector to build up another." It's about moving the sales tax collection on transactions from where it's drifting away from (stores) to where it is (online).

I still hope this dies in the House, though. It'll jack the prices up not only because of the taxes, but because these online companies will need to hire people to file the paperwork, decode the taxes for each state, code the drop-down boxes on their onlne storefronts, etc., etc... all of which will add overhead, and get passed on to the consumers.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 worlock77

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]Online retail is only a threat to brick-and-mortar stores because brick-and-mortar stores are becoming obsolete.OrkHammer007

Brick-and-mortar stores are becoming/have become obsolete in many cases because the space isn't there for the kind of inventory that could compete with online shopping.

Example: Walk into a retail store right now and look at their PC game selection. If you get over 50 titles, I'll be impressed.

Go to any online retailer or digital distribution store. It's increasingly rare if you can't find a title you want there.

There are still some types of inventory you should still expect to see in physical stores. I doubt you'll order your groceries online when it's much more efficient to buy it at a supermarket, for example. Also, trying on shoes would be difficult over a PC monitor or smartphone/tablet screen.

So no... it's not about "tearing down one sector to build up another." It's about moving the sales tax collection on transactions from where it's drifting away from (stores) to where it is (online).

I still hope this dies in the House, though. It'll jack the prices up not only because of the taxes, but because these online companies will need to hire people to file the paperwork, decode the taxes for each state, code the drop-down boxes on their onlne storefronts, etc., etc... all of which will add overhead, and get passed on to the consumers.

If an online retailer has to hire a seperate person to code an extra drop down box then I have to wonder how terrible their webmaster is and how they manage to stay in business.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 buccomatic

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]Online retail is only a threat to brick-and-mortar stores because brick-and-mortar stores are becoming obsolete.OrkHammer007

"So no... it's not about "tearing down one sector to build up another." It's about moving the sales tax collection on transactions from where it's drifting away from (stores) to where it is (online)." you're partially correct. although sales are drifting away from offline to online stores, in some business sectors, the offline small businesses are still getting hammered and that isn't going to change. but if this bill passes, everyone is going to get hammered.
OrkHammer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 OrkHammer007
Member since 2006 • 4753 Posts

[QUOTE="OrkHammer007"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]Online retail is only a threat to brick-and-mortar stores because brick-and-mortar stores are becoming obsolete.worlock77

If an online retailer has to hire a seperate person to code an extra drop down box then I have to wonder how terrible their webmaster is and how they manage to stay in business.

It's part and parcel of the entire "we need to retool everything to collect taxes." If you think it's simply adding the drop box for the states, without the coding, database tables, realignment of the layout, etc. etc., then I'm sure you'd be happy to volunteer your time, free and gratis, to every company who needs to add their new tax collection section to their online retail storefronts.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="OrkHammer007"]Brick-and-mortar stores are becoming/have become obsolete in many cases because the space isn't there for the kind of inventory that could compete with online shopping.

OrkHammer007

It's part and parcel of the entire "we need to retool everything to collect taxes." If you think it's simply adding the drop box for the states, without the coding, database tables, realignment of the layout, etc. etc., then I'm sure you'd be happy to volunteer your time, free and gratis, to every company who needs to add their new tax collection section to their online retail storefronts.

I'm saying that the adding of drop boxes itself should be a fairly simple task for whoever's already coding their website. As far as everything else most websites ship internationally, so they already deal with that sort of thing. It's doubtful that it would be much of a transitition for most online retailers.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
Woah woah woah what the hell? Dont I get to vote about this? Fvck that tax
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
What isn't fair is that the business isn't using the local infrastructure to do their business. Imagine you hire someone from a neighboring city to come and work on your house and they charge you their city's taxes even though you don't live there and aren't shopping there. What's fair about that? Obviously something needs to be done, but to call this fair is dishonest.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
No surprises there. I do wonder if purchases outside of the US will have to pay this tax for the US.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23065 Posts

I guess not all Republicans are against tax increases.

jimkabrhel
To be fair, this is not a tax increase. It's a means of preventing tax evasion.
Avatar image for PelicanRebelLdr
PelicanRebelLdr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 PelicanRebelLdr
Member since 2013 • 125 Posts
I am not opposed to this.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#65 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]That is an idiotic bill and a perfect example of the government being a destroyer rather than a creator. The government does not "level the playing field" by raising people up so they can compete with the best; it tears down the best with restrictive regulations so that any incompetent can compete with it. Online retail is only a threat to brick-and-mortar stores because brick-and-mortar stores are becoming obsolete. Now the government wants to restrict online retail to keep the obsolete stores in business, despite a clear trend among consumers of a growing preference for online shopping. The government destroys entire industries before they even happen just so that some hick "mom-and-pop" store will stay in business despite not being any good. Anyone who supports this bill is a looter, a killer, and scum.Laihendi

:roll:

Your rhetoric has become rathen lately... killer?

I do not know what rathen means, but if you use force to restrict an industry then you are killing that industry. The government is killing trade and it is killing an opportunity for the standard of living in this country to improve.

I don't know what "rathen" means either or if its even a word, I typed it into WordPerfect and it underlined the word as a spelling error and when I clicked on it and looked for the word in WordPerfect's dictionary (which the Oxford English Pocket Dictionary) and there was no entry there. But don't worry these taxes won't kill any industry.

Anyway, In some ways I like brick-and-mortar stores better than online shopping.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
The internet is really starting to suck...
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 whipassmt

on the plus side though, as other posters seem to have said, if states are able to tax online sales then the new income from those taxes could allow the state to lower their sales tax. For example if Connecticut starts charging a sales-tax for online sales, then the state can lower their sales tax from 6.35% back to 6% or maybe even 5%.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 whipassmt

What isn't fair is that the business isn't using the local infrastructure to do their business. Imagine you hire someone from a neighboring city to come and work on your house and they charge you their city's taxes even though you don't live there and aren't shopping there. What's fair about that? Obviously something needs to be done, but to call this fair is dishonest.guynamedbilly
The business, or more specifically their shipping contractor (e.g. UPS, FedEx) has to use the local infrastructure to ship the product.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 buccomatic
[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

mattbbpl

nonsense. they already pay taxes, this bill is going to make them pay more taxes.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 whipassmt

As far as groceries go, I think they are exempted from the sales tax. At least in my state there is no sales tax applied to groceries since they are considered to be necessities.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 mattbbpl
[QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

buccomatic

nonsense. they already pay taxes, this bill is going to make them pay more taxes.

No they don't. They don't pay any sales tax, but they're legally supposed to. It's just that only approximately 1% of purchasers actually pony up for the largely unenforced sales tax for internet purchases across state lines.
mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 mattbbpl

[QUOTE="OrkHammer007"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]Online retail is only a threat to brick-and-mortar stores because brick-and-mortar stores are becoming obsolete.whipassmt

As far as groceries go, I think they are exempted from the sales tax. At least in my state there is no sales tax applied to groceries since they are considered to be necessities.

Depends on the state.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]What isn't fair is that the business isn't using the local infrastructure to do their business. Imagine you hire someone from a neighboring city to come and work on your house and they charge you their city's taxes even though you don't live there and aren't shopping there. What's fair about that? Obviously something needs to be done, but to call this fair is dishonest.whipassmt

The business, or more specifically their shipping contractor (e.g. UPS, FedEx) has to use the local infrastructure to ship the product.

Their shipping contractor pays all necessary taxes.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#74 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

Several posts about a typo I didn't see fast enough to fix before it was quote. FFS.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#75 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

Well, truth be told, if you are going to tax some businesses and not others, it is a little unfair.

famicommander

The correct solution is to stop taxing the ones who are being taxed, not spread the misery to everyone else. The last thing our government needs is more revenue to piss away.

Agreed.  Government needs to get smaller and use less money.  

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 whipassmt

Several posts about a typo I didn't see fast enough to fix before it was quote. FFS.

jimkabrhel

what word did you mean to say in place of "rathen".

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts
Sucks but Amazon has started charging tax already for some states....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-5b78379493e12

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

whipassmt

The word was "rather" and I meant to include "violent and antagonistic" after it, but I had a busy day and I typed that post too fast.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Capitan_Kid
So American citizens don't get to vote on this?!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-5b78379493e12

So American citizens don't get to vote on this?!Capitan_Kid

Citizen elect officials to Congress, and then Congress ignores the public who voted for them.

See the support for background checks on guns as another example.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44723 Posts
So how does this work exactly. Currently I'm charged my local sales tax on all items I purchase on Amazon, or online purchases on PlayStation Store, Xbox Live Marketplace, or Nintendo's eShop. Though I know this isn't always the case for every location. The article states this does nothing to raise federal revenues, but to assist states into collecting them. So does this tax basically just help states that don't require online retail to pay local sales tax? If that's the case, I really don't see anything wrong with it.
Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

I always assumed this already existed.

seemed like common sense tbh.

hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Bad idea is bad.  States need to live off of what they have.  When they get more money from this sales tax they will continue their spending sprees and be in the same exact position as they were before it, but now they will have higher revenues as well as higher expenditures.  

megam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 megam
Member since 2003 • 457 Posts
Internet/catalog/phone orders/etc. are not and were never meant to be tax-free. The individual/business purchasing those goods from out-of-state is required to pay a Use Tax on those goods. Check your state's law; if you have a sales tax, I bet there's a Use Tax on the books.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Not a fan of consumption taxes (except as a revenue-generating way to discourage the trade of certain goods) but I find it hard to believe that this of all things could garner a "THE GOVERNMENT IS CRUSHING US UNDER ITS MIGHTY COMMUNIST WEIGHT" reaction.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

You can't have too many taxes!

flazzle

This, the amount of saturday nights I have spent queueing in the rain because of lack of drivers is horrendous.

junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

Great! Let's encourage even more businesses to leave the country.  Lovely idea.  

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 worlock77

So American citizens don't get to vote on this?!Capitan_Kid

People really need to start understanding what "representative democracy" means.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 worlock77

So how does this work exactly. Currently I'm charged my local sales tax on all items I purchase on Amazon, or online purchases on PlayStation Store, Xbox Live Marketplace, or Nintendo's eShop. Though I know this isn't always the case for every location. The article states this does nothing to raise federal revenues, but to assist states into collecting them. So does this tax basically just help states that don't require online retail to pay local sales tax? If that's the case, I really don't see anything wrong with it.lamprey263

It's not a new tax. It's a bill to make it easier for states to collect sales taxes on online purchases. Not sure how many times that has to be stated.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 worlock77

Great! Let's encourage even more businesses to leave the country.  Lovely idea.  

junglist101

Right, these business are really going to relocate overseas because of a sales tax.

CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

Oh yay...

megam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 megam
Member since 2003 • 457 Posts

[QUOTE="lamprey263"]So how does this work exactly. Currently I'm charged my local sales tax on all items I purchase on Amazon, or online purchases on PlayStation Store, Xbox Live Marketplace, or Nintendo's eShop. Though I know this isn't always the case for every location. The article states this does nothing to raise federal revenues, but to assist states into collecting them. So does this tax basically just help states that don't require online retail to pay local sales tax? If that's the case, I really don't see anything wrong with it.worlock77

It's not a new tax. It's a bill to make it easier for states to collect sales taxes on online purchases. Not sure how many times that has to be stated.

And from what I understand, states who want online retailers to collect the sales tax must simplify their sales tax codes and offer free software for calculating said sales tax. It's just a way to have the 99% of people who shirk their tax obligations to pay said lawfully required taxes.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44723 Posts

[QUOTE="lamprey263"]So how does this work exactly. Currently I'm charged my local sales tax on all items I purchase on Amazon, or online purchases on PlayStation Store, Xbox Live Marketplace, or Nintendo's eShop. Though I know this isn't always the case for every location. The article states this does nothing to raise federal revenues, but to assist states into collecting them. So does this tax basically just help states that don't require online retail to pay local sales tax? If that's the case, I really don't see anything wrong with it.worlock77

I didn't read all previous posts thoroughly, and it gets confusing with the anti-tax people freaking out about it. Anyhow, thanks for responding, and if what you say is true I don't see what the big deal is.
ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
Amazon already charges sales tax in Kansas, so it's not like this would have any real effect on me. With the economy being the way it is it was inevitable states may want an easier way to be able to collect taxes from online retailers. If I want tax-free stuff I could just shop on the base I work on, although their selection isn't always that great.
sexyweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#97 sexyweapons
Member since 2009 • 5302 Posts

[QUOTE="sexyweapons"]

worlock77

Go easy on me,I'm British:x:P. But wouldn't this have go through like a state Congress or something then?
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Capitan_Kid

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]So American citizens don't get to vote on this?!worlock77

People really need to start understanding what "representative democracy" means.

Fvck the Senate then. I didn't vote for them to pull this.
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Oh well, it was bound to happen eventually. At least I'll still get the benefit of saving money on gas by buying certain things online.

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

jimkabrhel

The word was "rather" and I meant to include "violent and antagonistic" after it, but I had a busy day and I typed that post too fast.

Ah I see. I thought "rathen" might've been a typo for rather, but that word didn't make sense in the context of your post (because it was missing the phrase "violent and antagonistic") based on the word that followed (I think the quote was something to the effect of "your rhetoric has been rathen lately... KILLER").