Indie music is just terrible...anyone agree?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 the_plan_man
Member since 2011 • 1664 Posts

I think the whole genre is garbage. Listening to bands like Grizzly Bear, Arcade Fire, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes, Vampire Weekend,Hugo, ect. justmakes my ears bleed. The only indie band I kinda likeisThe Caesars, mostly because of Jerk it Out.What do you think of the genre?

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
It's only bad because Lady Gaga hasn't made a song yet.
scorch-62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 scorch-62
Member since 2006 • 29763 Posts
I think you're entitled to your opinion, but I respectfully disagree.
MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts
Yes and no. Some people might need a bit of a push but seeing as indie is basically do it yourself most people can try to join into that career. So there will be folks who probably got rejected by many labels and just do not want to give up. Those people are strong and all I can say is good luck.
ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24942 Posts
I don't care for indie, either, but there are a few decent bands from there, though.
joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#6 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

OP picks a bunch of bands to base his opinion of a diverse and often mislabeled genre as terrible. That Rise Against picture ain't improving the biased musical opinion I know you to have. So no I don't agree...

PoorEdward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PoorEdward
Member since 2011 • 287 Posts

You guys dont quite get what the word indie means...... It is not a style, it just means that it comes from an independent label and not from a larger more commercial one. The term can be used with folk, rap, metal, dance, electronica, and basically any genre out there if the band is signed to an indie label. The word is being missused and only applied to synth-pop-dancey music these days, but it can be applied to anything. :D

PoorEdward out.

taylor888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 taylor888
Member since 2005 • 2232 Posts

You guys dont quite get what the word indie means...... It is not a style, it just means that it comes from an independent label and not from a larger more commercial one. The term can be used with folk, rap, metal, dance, electronica, and basically any genre out there if the band is signed to an indie label. The word is being missused and only applied to synth-pop-dancey music these days, but it can be applied to anything. :D

PoorEdward out.

PoorEdward
I know indie is supposed to be short for independent, but hasn't that changed? I think of indie music as being folksy (acoustic guitar at least). I don't think I have ever heard it being used to describe synth pop before...
joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#9 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts

PoorEdward out.

PoorEdward

Never got how people don't think its a genre... Indie is definitely a genre, sure the term stemmed from Independent Music, but the association has gone past that in recent years. Its now an interchangeable term between alternative and indie (and all its diverse sub-genres). Some bands may start out on independent labels, but their association with their indie moniker doesn't disappear. The music that most early "indie" bands played took that word to mean a specific style and sound.

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I don't really like that many bands that are just indie rock, but if it's a mix of other forms of rock as well as indie, sure I like it.

Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

I disagree

martinX3X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 martinX3X
Member since 2009 • 4488 Posts

Arcade Fire is freakn awesome.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
No, there's lots of good indie.
CHOASXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 CHOASXIII
Member since 2009 • 14716 Posts

What are you talking about? Poopfist is the best band ever and they are more indie than the Indianapolis 500.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DivergeUnify

PoorEdward out.

PoorEdward
That isn't the only meaning of indie. Tons of bands definitely fit a style that has been named indie
JinjonatorX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JinjonatorX
Member since 2010 • 639 Posts
So you hate all bands that are signed onto independent record labels? That's cool.
LORD_BLACKGULT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LORD_BLACKGULT
Member since 2006 • 947 Posts

I disrespectfully disagree.

Wolf-Man2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 Wolf-Man2006
Member since 2006 • 4187 Posts

Well your bands make my ears bleed -_-

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#19 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

That is such a dumb thing to say. Number 1: Indie is not a genre, it means you have not signed amajor label contract. You are independent ("Indie"). Number 2, Im assuming by indie you mean all these post-punk/new wave revival bands. Bloc Party, The Killers, The Strokes, Franz ferdinand, Vaccines, Two door cinema club ect. I am of the total opposite opinion, I love this revival stuff, these bands are writing hits, and I love having bands back in the charts.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

I think most "indie" bands are independent for a reason (they aren't good enough to get signed). That being said, there are still many bands who are just starting out and haven't found a major record label yet that are probably pretty good.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DivergeUnify

I think most "indie" bands are independent for a reason (they aren't good enough to get signed). That being said, there are still many bands who are just starting out and haven't found a major record label yet that are probably pretty good.

redstorm72
Yeah because most of the signed, chart-topping bands/artists are just hammering out fantastic music right?
Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Shmiity

[QUOTE="redstorm72"]

DivergeUnify

Yeah because most of the signed, chart-topping bands/artists are just hammering out fantastic music right?

I actually argue a similar point- if youre so good, how come youre still indie? Shouldnt everyone love you? If people dont give a damn, they dont give a damn. Hate on all the chart topping artists as much as you want, but they all worked hard to get it. The production is top notch, and so are all the melodies.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DivergeUnify

[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"][QUOTE="redstorm72"]

Shmiity

I actually argue a similar point- if youre so good, how come youre still indie? Shouldnt everyone love you? If people dont give a damn, they dont give a damn. Hate on all the chart topping artists as much as you want, but they all worked hard to get it. The production is top notch, and so are all the melodies.

Indie musicians write what they want. Most/a majority of chart toppers don't make their own music, and are not in charge/have minimal input into production, and is also designed for the purpose of sales. Maybe indie artists want artistic creativity- they can do what they want. They don't have to follow a trend that encourages sales competition.

And just to re-emphasize: Hardly any artists at the top of charts touch production. Of course they worked hard- but their values are different. Being "independent" doesn't mean a band is bad, or couldn't change their direction to get on a label. One of the stupidest implications I've ever heard.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shmiity

[QUOTE="Shmiity"]

[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"] Yeah because most of the signed, chart-topping bands/artists are just hammering out fantastic music right? DivergeUnify

Indie musicians write what they want. Most/a majority of chart toppers don't make their own music, and are not in charge/have minimal input into production, and is also designed for the purpose of sales. Maybe indie artists want artistic creativity- they can do what they want. They don't have to follow a trend that encourages sales competition.

And just to re-emphasize: Hardly any artists at the top of charts touch production. Of course they worked hard- but their values are different. Being "independent" doesn't mean a band is bad, or couldn't change their direction to get on a label. One of the stupidest implications I've ever heard.

Anybody who writes a song wants people to like it. I hate the whole "You sold out" Thing. Why would you ever want to be indie forever? Dont you want to touch millions of people with your music? Bands who dont go after it all, or who balk at the idea of being mainstream, I dont respect at all. That kind of band is a crappy band. Im not asking anyone to change their direction. Im saying, how can you argue a band is "so good" ifno one likes them? Every band that has been popular has been popular for a reason.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#25 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
There are good and bad, it just happens that there are reasons why many indie bands haven't broke through yet.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"][QUOTE="redstorm72"]

Shmiity

I actually argue a similar point- if youre so good, how come youre still indie? Shouldnt everyone love you?

Not really. Example: The Velvet Underground were nobodies in the 60s. Now they're known as one of the most influential bands ever.

Meat_Wad_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Meat_Wad_Fan
Member since 2002 • 9054 Posts

loollolololololol at you. I remember you making a Blue October thread. Sorry buy no,

Arcade Fire >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Blue October/ generic rock station crap

htotheo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 htotheo
Member since 2005 • 2759 Posts
This is kind of directed at a couple posts so yeah. First i'd have to say those saying indie music is independent labels are correct. Many groups from hip-hop, singer-song writer, pop, punk and a variety of other genres can all be classified as indie. Therefore the OP's original post is kind of a collection of independent label bands (even though some of them are signed to major labels now) you don't like rather than an entire genre. also redstorm52, just because a band is not necessarily extremely popular does not make horrible. An clear example could be independent films or even box-office flops which are still great films (Donnie Darko, etc). Again this can also apply to graphic novels, TV-shows, etc. Many people who are actual fans of many independent bands actually want them to get known and be successful provided they keep producing the same great music that made them likable in the first place. Going by your logic Rebecca Black's Friday is one of the greatest songs in the world because everyone knows it and has listened to it. Clearly this is an overstatement but using similar logic. All in all i think generalizations like this should really be put in perspective as someone with different musical tastes. Everyone has different perceptions of what is and isn't "good" music and honestly it isn't anyone else's place to judge. Do i listen to Justin Beiber or Lady GaGa? No. Do i make fun of this music? No i just don't listen to it and prefer to stay away. My opinion of it to other people and fans are irrelevant because what i think doesn't matter to them. In short, don't try and take the musical elitist high ground because your taste in music is gospel and everyone should follow suit. *End Rant*
cheese_game619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 cheese_game619
Member since 2005 • 13317 Posts
Indie rock (in many of it's spin-off and forms) and indie hip-hop (Odd Future being a good example of what that is) is my favourite music. Indie has gone beyond being purely independent developed and produced music but I often like that stage better, when you can tell it wasn't made in a huge state-of-the-art recording studio.
applesxc47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 applesxc47
Member since 2008 • 10761 Posts

Strongly disagree. Check out Interpol, that is all I have to say.

-Shooter-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -Shooter-
Member since 2006 • 4295 Posts

There's plenty of good indie out there

pitchblack3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#32 pitchblack3
Member since 2008 • 346 Posts

I don't think they're terrible but I don't like Indie either. I just ignore the Indie artists when I'm searching for new tunes.

MasterKingMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MasterKingMP
Member since 2008 • 1740 Posts

Nope not at all. In my opinion all the greatest music out there is Indie.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
indie music are too gloomy for my taste........ please visit Death Metal scenes... you automatic convert
Avatar image for deactivated-597bb01c846a2
deactivated-597bb01c846a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#35 deactivated-597bb01c846a2
Member since 2011 • 1495 Posts
I don't like it at all, but I completely disagree that it's terrible. Also, you forgot to add a reason explaining how it's terrible.
EmpCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 EmpCom
Member since 2005 • 3451 Posts
I dislike it others love it people like diff things End off
Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
That is opinion and I can respect it but I find that Indie music has a lot more to offer than the mainstream.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#38 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts
yes I agree.
DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DivergeUnify

[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"]

[QUOTE="Shmiity"]

Shmiity

Anybody who writes a song wants people to like it. I hate the whole "You sold out" Thing. Why would you ever want to be indie forever? Dont you want to touch millions of people with your music? Bands who dont go after it all, or who balk at the idea of being mainstream, I dont respect at all. That kind of band is a crappy band. Im not asking anyone to change their direction. Im saying, how can you argue a band is "so good" ifno one likes them? Every band that has been popular has been popular for a reason.

No one is arguing that an indie band is "so good" using your narrow definition. Whats being argued is that indie musicians are not terrible, there are a lot of good indie musicians, and being signed to a big label doesn't make a band better than an indie band.

Just because a band can write a simple, catchy song, and has top notch producers to overproduce the s*** out of their music doesn't make the band good.

CBR600-RR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CBR600-RR
Member since 2008 • 9695 Posts

Neutral Milk Hotel are indie and they have produced one of the best albums of all time.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

As with any genre there is good and bad. If one doesn't enjoy the music....that does not make it terrible. Means one doesn't enjoy the genre.

Edit: I don't like the label indie to define a genre just as I don't like the label cIassic rock for a definition. Radio constructs....not genre.

RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 RushKing
Member since 2009 • 1785 Posts

indie isn't a genre people.

SquirrelTamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SquirrelTamer
Member since 2011 • 1185 Posts

Yes obviously

RushKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 RushKing
Member since 2009 • 1785 Posts

I think hipsters have turned 'indie' into a dirty word. There is more to independent music than trendy pitchfork garbage. I hope people in this thread can realize that.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

I dont know if I should even bother with this thread...

Indie still means independent. Just because a few hipster bands try to over take what everyone should be listening to does not make every indie band fit within that formula.

mexicangordo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mexicangordo
Member since 2005 • 8687 Posts

I think hipsters have turned 'indie' into a dirty word. There is more to independent music than trendy pitchfork garbage. I hope people in this thread can realize that.

RushKing

Woot! Glad someone else clearly gets it, and I think you put it in much better words than I did. :P

FUloin33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FUloin33
Member since 2011 • 477 Posts

they're not that bad. but i just feel that way about top 40 music. it makes my ears bleed.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#48 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

As with any genre there is good and bad. If one doesn't enjoy the music....that does not make it terrible. Means one doesn't enjoy the genre.

Edit: I don't like the label indie to define a genre just as I don't like the label cIassic rock for a definition. Radio constructs....not genre.

LJS9502_basic

And what if somebody doesn't enjoy certain music because they think it's terrible?

"Terrible" and "good" do not exist outside of any given person's opinion. "Goodness" and "badness" are just as subjective as enjoyment.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

I direct you to:

Friend for a Foe

Eyeshine

Otherwise, i agree they mostly suck.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#50 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I don't think all indie is terrible, but I do think that for the most part, good "indie" bands eventually enjoy atleast a modest level of commercial success.