Inception: A smart film only a hack like Nolan could make.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 TreyoftheDead
Member since 2007 • 7982 Posts

It astounds me that a film such as Inception could be considered intelligent these days. As I read review after review of bilge from critics heaping praise on this intellectually bankrupt piece of crud, only Armond White's sage like criticism of the film spoke the truth. Nolan is incapable of making a smart film, instead he prefers to pile on a bunch of junk that goes over the head of the average film goer and makes them think they've seen an intelligent movie. Its a shame that the critics are just as willing to fall for the hack director's childish shams. I thought The Dark Knight was the epitome of stupid, but I shouldn't have underestimated Nolan and his natural born talent at delivering a dud that is actually much worse on every conceivable level. It did give me a good nap though, and I'm sure the dream I had of cutting my grass with a butter knife was much more interesting than what was going on in Inception.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
yeah that movie was not all those people have been saying must be emperor's new clothes syndrome
Solid_Tango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Solid_Tango
Member since 2009 • 8609 Posts
Yeah i just saw it today and well i was really expecting some mind**** like memento with the dark knights action sequences but all i got was a nice action movie with a soft plot. Its certanly not a bad movie but not as good as everyone says, in my opinion this is not Nolans Best.
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TreyoftheDead

yeah that movie was not all those people have been saying must be emperor's new clothes syndromeJandurin

Agreed. I was hoping Nolan would prove me wrong with his latest, prove that he was actually capable of producing something that was worth my time. Unfortunately I was right, as I always am, he's still a hack and can't put a single thought worth discussing into his work.

Lebbin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#8 Lebbin
Member since 2007 • 2049 Posts

Although White's review was very interesting to read, I have to disagree with him, and you. Sure it had many problems (no character development), but as a heist film, I thought it was amazing. It was entertaining, interesting and fun. I enjoyed it and sure it's not super intellectual or life changing, but a film doesn't need to be those things to be great.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
yeah that movie was not all those people have been saying must be emperor's new clothes syndromeJandurin
Hey it's Malcolm!
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
It was a good film, not a great one. It wasn't nearly as confusing as critics made it out to be. I didn't care at all for the romance. The characters are underdeveloped, thus leaving you confused on some of their motivations. [spoiler] That's right. I'm the serious one. [/spoiler]
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TreyoftheDead

Although White's review was very interesting to read, I have to disagree with him, and you. Sure it had many problems (no character development), but as a heist film, I thought it was amazing. It was entertaining, interesting and fun. I enjoyed it and sure it's not super intellectual or life changing, but a film doesn't need to be those things to be great.

Lebbin

I'll give it one thing, its tag line was very accurate. What Inception did to my poor mind was most certainly a crime.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Where did my post go?Aspen706
Heaven or Hell maybe? Was it good or bad?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
[QUOTE="Jandurin"]yeah that movie was not all those people have been saying must be emperor's new clothes syndromedave123321
Hey it's Malcolm!

omg run for your lives
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TreyoftheDead

It was a good film, not a great one. It wasn't nearly as confusing as critics made it out to be. I didn't care at all for the romance. The characters are underdeveloped, thus leaving you confused on some of their motivations. [spoiler] That's right. I'm the serious one. [/spoiler] sammyjenkis898

Sammy, usually I agree with you, but you are being much to kind to this film. No, it wasn't confusing, but not in an intelligent way, more like in-a-book-written-for-a-five-year-old way. Seriously, I could have taken my six year old nephew to see the film and he would have been more challenged by the Spongebob episode he watched with his morning cereal.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
I haven't seen Inception yet but in Nolan's defense Memento was a pretty cleaver film in my opinion.
Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dylan_11
Member since 2005 • 11296 Posts

I haven't seen Inception yet but in Nolan's defense Memento was a pretty cleaver film in my opinion.Meinhard1

Is that a good or bad thing?

TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TreyoftheDead

I haven't seen Inception yet but in Nolan's defense Memento was a pretty cleaver film in my opinion.Meinhard1

It was clever in fooling people into thinking it was good, but not much more than that. Seriously, he just took a simplistic, dull story and tried to save it with a gimmick by making it backwards. Watch the movie in the correct order and it's beyond boring, you're just too busy trying to piece the film together to realize it while watching it in its original, backwards order.

I'm on to you, Nolan.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
Great, another internet dwelling film hack. Do people like you actually LIKE movies? It was a good movie, get over it.
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Meinhard1

[QUOTE="Meinhard1"]I haven't seen Inception yet but in Nolan's defense Memento was a pretty cleaver film in my opinion.Dylan_11

Is that a good or bad thing?

Actually it's the new slang - "dude that's cleaver dude" - all the kids are saying it.

Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
I have to agree with you, I think Armond said it best when he said that Nolan is a con artist. He makes these films like a puzzle or mouse trap to make the average movie-goer say "ohhh that's what it meant! that movie is smart! derp!" just to hide from the fact that he has no talent whatsoever when it comes to making an aesthetically or emotionally beautiful film.
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Meinhard1

[QUOTE="Meinhard1"]I haven't seen Inception yet but in Nolan's defense Memento was a pretty cleaver film in my opinion.TreyoftheDead

It was clever in fooling people into thinking it was good, but not much more than that. Seriously, he just took a simplistic, dull story and tried to save it with a gimmick by making it backwards. Watch the movie in the correct order and it's beyond boring, you're just too busy trying to piece the film together to realize it while watching it in its original, backwards order.

I'm on to you, Nolan.

I agree that the film would suck if played in the right order but it was still a very interesting approach to storytelling, and it did a great job of illustrating the protagonists mental disorder. Perhaps it's not genius but it was cleaver.
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TreyoftheDead

Great, another internet dwelling film hack. Do people like you actually LIKE movies? It was a good movie, get over it. HoolaHoopMan

Of course I like movies. They are the love of my life, my beloved in celluloid form.

However, that doesn't mean I just like whatever crap I see, which seems to be the typical response of the average movie goer. I have standards, and a hack like Nolan and his work, especially The Dark Knight and Inception, just do not meet them. I'm not going to lie to myself for the sake of my love of movies. That's cruel.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

As stated in another Inception topic...

"I haven't decided yet if Inception was clever good, or if it was hur-hur-I'm-so-clever-hur-hur bad."

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Apparently the haters are out in force today. :P

TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TreyoftheDead

GabuEx

I don't understand this practice of labeling someone who disagrees with a popular opinion. I'm not "hating", I'm simply pointing out the truth.

Lebbin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#27 Lebbin
Member since 2007 • 2049 Posts

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]Great, another internet dwelling film hack. Do people like you actually LIKE movies? It was a good movie, get over it. TreyoftheDead

Of course I like movies. They are the love of my life, my beloved in celluloid form.

However, that doesn't mean I just like whatever crap I see, which seems to be the typical response of the average movie goer. I have standards, and a hack like Nolan and his work, especially The Dark Knight and Inception, just do not meet them. I'm not going to lie to myself for the sake of my love of movies. That's cruel.

This might be a tangent, but I was wondering if you agree with other of White's reviews such an th negative review of Toy Story 3, or the positive reviews of Transformers 2 and Jonah Hex.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

TreyoftheDead

I don't understand this practice of labeling someone who disagrees with a popular opinion. I'm not "hating", I'm simply pointing out the truth.

An opinion is simply stating your stance on a subject. Hating is a strong opinion filled with emotion. You seem to be pretty hateful about this movie.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 harashawn
Member since 2008 • 27620 Posts
[QUOTE="TreyoftheDead"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

There's no "true" or "false" when regarding an opinion.
cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

This film isn't exactly a darling of the critics:

I would say that score is about right.
This definitely wasn't the mental tease it was made out to be. It could have easily been half as long and still retained everything of importance.
At the same time, it's not a terrible film, either.

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

It wasn't brilliant or even "deep", but I enjoyed it.

Am I an idiot with no ability to appreciate film for thinking that?

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 harashawn

[QUOTE="Meinhard1"]I haven't seen Inception yet but in Nolan's defense Memento was a pretty cleaver film in my opinion.TreyoftheDead

I'm on to you, Nolan.

The entire point of Memento is that it's not in chronological order. It's supposed to make the viewer think and wonder what happened. Watching it in your "correct order" completely defeats the purpose of the film...
TaCoDuDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 TaCoDuDe
Member since 2006 • 3239 Posts

Well I loved it. That makes me a simpleton, right?

TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TreyoftheDead

An opinion is simply stating your stance on a subject. Hating is a strong opinion filled with emotion. You seem to be pretty hateful about this movie.

FrostyPhantasm

That doesn't make any sense. This being my personal opinion, of course it is going to filled with my emotions, everyone's is, it's what is at the heart of film criticism. If I was saying the opposite, that is, praising the movie in a very emotional way, is there some term you have coined for that? Or only against the ones people don't want to hear?

TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 TreyoftheDead

[QUOTE="TreyoftheDead"]

[QUOTE="Meinhard1"]I haven't seen Inception yet but in Nolan's defense Memento was a pretty cleaver film in my opinion.harashawn

I'm on to you, Nolan.

The entire point of Memento is that it's not in chronological order. It's supposed to make the viewer think and wonder what happened. Watching it in your "correct order" completely defeats the purpose of the film...

I don't recall asking people to watch it in the "correct order" first. But I guess people may insinuate that I did, so let me be more clear:

Watch the film in its backwards order first, then in the correct, chronological order so that you can see just how bad and intellectually defunct it really is.

harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 harashawn
[QUOTE="TreyoftheDead"]

[QUOTE="harashawn"][QUOTE="TreyoftheDead"]

I'm on to you, Nolan.

I don't recall asking people to watch it in the "correct order" first. But I guess people may insinuate that I did, so let me be more clear:

Watch the film in its backwards order first, then in the correct, chronological order so that you can see just how bad and intellectually defunct it really is.

It is not meant to be viewed chronologically. It was written to be viewed backwards. I don't understand why you don't get that.
Osaka-06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Osaka-06
Member since 2010 • 781 Posts
Having watched ALL his other movies, I think I'll have to laugh out loud at how ridiculous people's opinions can be. It's OK to admit that you simply don't understand a film that's probably a little too much for you.
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TreyoftheDead

It is not meant to be viewed chronologically. It was written to be viewed backwards. I don't understand why you don't get that. harashawn

It doesn't really matter. It's bad either way you view it, but the reason I was saying one should watch it in the correct order is that doing so will take out the chore of having to keep up with Nolan's gimmick and see the film for what it really is. If you want to keep arguing that this is not the correct way to view the film, then fine, watch it a second time in its original order and you'll just how stupid it is that way.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GabuEx

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

TreyoftheDead

You call the positive reviews "bilge"; you call the movie "intellectually bankrupt"; you say that "Nolan ... prefers to pile on a bunch of junk"; you say that critics are "fall(ing) for the hack director's childish shams"; and you say that while "The Dark Knight was the epitome of stupid", Inception is "a dud that is actually much worse on every conceivable level", for which you credit "Nolan and his natural born talent at delivering a dud".

I don't exactly think it's a terribly wide stretch to suggest that you hate both Nolan and Inception. Your choice of words goes rather beyond simply not liking a movie.

TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TreyoftheDead

Having watched ALL his other movies, I think I'll have to laugh out loud at how ridiculous people's opinions can be. It's OK to admit that you simply don't understand a film that's probably a little too much for you.Osaka-06

I can assure you that I understood the film just fine. I love that Nolan fans are so quick to accuse his detractors of not understanding his work, grasping for straws in an attempt to make sense of someone not liking what they like.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts

[QUOTE="FrostyPhantasm"]

TreyoftheDead

That doesn't make any sense. This being my personal opinion, of course it is going to filled with my emotions, everyone's is, it's what is at the heart of film criticism. If I was saying the opposite, that is, praising the movie in a very emotional way, is there some term you have coined for that? Or only against the ones people don't want to hear?

:lol: What. I wasn't disagreeing with your opinion at all good sir. Simply stating what a "hater" is. You can have varying levels of intensity of an opinion.. I could say "Yeah i dislike 50 cent due to his lack of good lyrical skills" or i could be like "LOL 50 cent is terrible, hes a garbage man who takes his garbage home to put in CD format to sell to the dumb masses that durp hurp it up in their hummers with the golden rims". One is hating, the other is "simply stating an opinion". Also to have extreme praise would be..liking the movie? Opposite of hating i would assume.

Osaka-06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Osaka-06
Member since 2010 • 781 Posts

[QUOTE="harashawn"]It is not meant to be viewed chronologically. It was written to be viewed backwards. I don't understand why you don't get that. TreyoftheDead

It doesn't really matter. It's bad either way you view it, but the reason I was saying one should watch it in the correct order is that doing so will take out the chore of having to keep up with Nolan's gimmick and see the film for what it really is. If you want to keep arguing that this is not the correct way to view the film, then fine, watch it a second time in its original order and you'll just how stupid it is that way.

You've yet to say anything intellectual yourself. You've simply made a bunch of statments with no explanation whatsoever.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
Doesn't even come out here till tomorrow and already I feel as though I'm being loathed and looked at like a stupid for looking forward to seeing it. I'll just go to my indie theater again to regain my credibility. Speaking of which check out "A Rational Solution" which I saw a few days ago. So uber kewl RT didn't give it a rating.
harashawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 harashawn

[QUOTE="harashawn"]It is not meant to be viewed chronologically. It was written to be viewed backwards. I don't understand why you don't get that. TreyoftheDead

A gimmick adds NOTHING to the plot. The ENTIRE freaking plot is based on the idea that the film is backwards. What it really is, is a film that is viewed backwards in order to keep the audience guessing. If it was meant to be viewed chronologically, it would have been made that way. No film is meant to be watched in any order other than the way it was produced. Of course it's boring if you take away the entire point of the damn thing. It would be like if the twist in The Sixth Sense, or Shutter Island were revealed during the opening credits. You take away the point of the movie, of course it's not enjoyable.
cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts
Having watched ALL his other movies, I think I'll have to laugh out loud at how ridiculous people's opinions can be. It's OK to admit that you simply don't understand a film that's probably a little too much for you.Osaka-06
C'mon, did you REALLY think it was that hard to follow? It was slow enough so that it was almost impossible to miss something. Everything was pretty much laid out before you on a silver platter, with little room for subtlety. I can usually tell when subtlety is being rubbed in my face, and there was nothing sticking out at me in this one.
TheGrayEye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 TheGrayEye
Member since 2006 • 2579 Posts

I'm on to you, Nolan.

You obviously missed the point of it's narrative. Having the movie go backwards was a smart move, because it mirrors (to us) the feelings the protagonist has. Like him, you're not really sure how he got there (in each scene), or what he is doing there. We probably wouldn't really be able to feel that way, if it was a more conventional narrative.

-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#48 -Tish-
Member since 2007 • 3624 Posts

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]Great, another internet dwelling film hack. Do people like you actually LIKE movies? It was a good movie, get over it. TreyoftheDead

Maybe some average movie goers like to be entertained and not befuddled with problem solving. Maybe some average movie goers would rather mow the lawn than watch your favorite movies... ...You understand me?!
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GabuEx

[QUOTE="TreyoftheDead"]

[QUOTE="harashawn"]It is not meant to be viewed chronologically. It was written to be viewed backwards. I don't understand why you don't get that. harashawn

A gimmick adds NOTHING to the plot. The ENTIRE freaking plot is based on the idea that the film is backwards. What it really is, is a film that is viewed backwards in order to keep the audience guessing. If it was meant to be viewed chronologically, it would have been made that way. No film is meant to be watched in any order other than the way it was produced. Of course it's boring if you take away the entire point of the damn thing. It would be like if the twist in The Sixth Sense, or Shutter Island were revealed during the opening credits. You take away the point of the movie, of course it's not enjoyable.

Yeah, I have to agree that I find that comment a bit strange... the order of events is an integral part of presentation, and good presentation is one of the fundamental parts of good filmmaking. Suggesting that the movie would have been worse if the presentation had been worse is kind of like... well, yeah, that's kind of the point.

TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TreyoftheDead

You call the positive reviews "bilge"; you call the movie "intellectually bankrupt"; you say that "Nolan ... prefers to pile on a bunch of junk"; you say that critics are "fall(ing) for the hack director's childish shams"; and you say that while "The Dark Knight was the epitome of stupid", Inception is "a dud that is actually much worse on every conceivable level", for which you credit "Nolan and his natural born talent at delivering a dud".

I don't exactly think it's a terribly wide stretch to suggest that you hate both Nolan and Inception. Your choice of words goes rather beyond simply not liking a movie.

GabuEx

It is my personal belief that one should stand firmly for their opinion on a matter, not holding back and being as harsh as one feels. I have nothing against Nolan personally, he may be a very nice man, I wouldn't know, I've never met him. However, I can judge his work and on those grounds I see nothing wrong with what I said, it is all true and if the words seem a bit venomous it is because his work matches my nastiness in stupidity and showing off his talent as a con-artist. It's not hating, it's simply being appalled the awfulness of his work in an area of art that I love very dearly and hold a lot of respect for.