If you had some kind of disorder, would you still have your own kids?

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

I'm talking about any kind of disorder, like depression, paralysis, anything. If I worded it weirdly, I apologize...but you guys know what i mean.

NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts
Yes, I have Asthma and I will still have kids
lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

I have Aspergers and ADHD. I do not plan to have kids. I don't want my kids to be like me.

sonic__323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 sonic__323
Member since 2007 • 23684 Posts

Not sure, I don't want kids probably until I'm in my 30's.

Avatar image for Cowboy_Sheepbop
Cowboy_Sheepbop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cowboy_Sheepbop
Member since 2011 • 106 Posts
Meh I probably will not have kids, I might adopt though. I just do not feel I should reproduce when one I am not really that great and two so many childeren have no parents.
PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
I do and I won't.
Avatar image for invisibletearsx
invisibletearsx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 invisibletearsx
Member since 2009 • 997 Posts

I don't want kids to begin with. So. Most likely not.

hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hydralisk86

Yes, I have Asthma and I will still have kidsNerubianWeaver
Won't you having ashma increase the odds your kids will also?

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Just because you have a disorder doesn't always mean your children will. Whether or not you should have children should be based on your ability to take care of them, not out of fear that you may give them a physical problem you have. My mother-in-law has asthma but my wife doesn't, for example.

Now, if I had something I KNEW I could pass to my kids then I probably wouldn't have any.

Welis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Welis
Member since 2004 • 1431 Posts
^what this brotha said!
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hydralisk86

Just because you have a disorder doesn't always mean your children will. Whether or not you should have children should be based on your ability to take care of them, not out of fear that you may give them a physical problem you have. My mother-in-law has asthma but my wife doesn't, for example.

Now, if I had something I KNEW I could pass to my kids then I probably wouldn't have any.

ad1x2
Well, I don't like the idea of my son/daughter even having a small possibility of having to carry around stuff to deal with asthma. Even more so if the disorder i had was serious.
NerubianWeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NerubianWeaver
Member since 2010 • 2046 Posts

[QUOTE="NerubianWeaver"]Yes, I have Asthma and I will still have kidshydralisk86

Yes it will. But seriously, it isn`t really a big deal well at least for me. I live a normal life and I could still play sports and it`s been a long time since I used my inhaler. Asthma can be controlled and it also depends on your environmental area
Apocalypse97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Apocalypse97
Member since 2008 • 1758 Posts

[QUOTE="NerubianWeaver"]Yes, I have Asthma and I will still have kidshydralisk86

Who cares tho? Astma isn't a big deal, lol. I say if you want kids, and don't have any serious disorder that would make them suffer, go for it...
ZumaJones07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ZumaJones07
Member since 2005 • 16457 Posts
I always wonder if the heavy smokers I know ever plan on having kids. That would suck. And no I wouldn't risk it depending on how likely it is for the disorder to be passed down. Like above 10%. idk
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Could you be a bit more specific? The gravity of the disorder would greatly influence my decision based upon my ability to raise kids or if they could inherit via genetics.

keybladegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 keybladegamer
Member since 2011 • 516 Posts

I have allergies and Asthma and would have children.

Something serious though, like a genetic disorder, may dissuade me from having children.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
not sure. I think I have some freaking disorder. I basically feel like i'm a completely fake and pathetic person, like I just adapt to how other poeple act or something. I'm odd.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Even if I wanted children, which I do not, there is a 25% chance (at the minimum) that they would inherit my heart defect. So no, I would not have children.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I have depression, anxiety issues and other similar stuff, and I will have my own kids. If I had aids, Hep C, something I could actually FOR SURE pass on to my kids, no. Stuff that can run in families but isn't something you insta-pass on is really not something to worry about. Having diabetes or asthma or any of those things should not stop you from having kids just because of that.
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts

Even if I wanted children, which I do not, there is a 25% chance (at the minimum) that they would inherit my heart defect. So no, I would not have children.

worlock77
May I ask for details on said heart defect? :(
Baconbits2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Baconbits2004
Member since 2009 • 12602 Posts
[QUOTE="XilePrincess"]I have depression, anxiety issues and other similar stuff, and I will have my own kids. If I had aids, Hep C, something I could actually FOR SURE pass on to my kids, no. Stuff that can run in families but isn't something you insta-pass on is really not something to worry about. Having diabetes or asthma or any of those things should not stop you from having kids just because of that.thegerg
Do a little research. AIDS isn't something that will "insta-pass" from mother to child.

I think in order to lessen the chances of givin' 'em AIDS you're supposed to have a c-section, right? Blegh, if I were a woman I'd avoid it for that alone.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
I want to pass on my good looks.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Probably not. I don't want kids that much anyway, and I'm not going to risk them having a disability.

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
would depend on the disorder, tho with most of the ones that i wouldnt want to have kids if i had it are ones most people wouldnt admit to having or justify why they act like that
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dkdk999
I want to pass on my good looks. KC_Hokie
You don't look anything like your pic do you ?
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]I want to pass on my good looks. dkdk999

Just like it.
Jackboot343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jackboot343
Member since 2007 • 2574 Posts

Doesn't everybody have a disorder? Nobody's perfect right? :shock:

freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts
Chances are my children will inherit the possibility of schizophrenia and prostate, just as I had inherited from my own parents, but that wouldn't deter me from having children because there's no guarantee that they will develop it. That being said, I don't really want to have kids due to the fact that I'm a very selfish and irresponsible adult and don't want the pressures that come with having a family.
Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
Well since I have Alagille syndrome, while in my case not serious, was a new mutation since neither of my parents had it. So I had a 50% chance of passing it to my offspring. Found out after my son was born and diagnosed and I we had expensive as hell tests done. Wish I had known before. But I removed the chance to ever have biological children again. So no. I think that decision has long since been chosen. Edit: I guess it really depends on what you can pass on. About everything has a varied severity. Still a gamble. I didn't know about the stakes when I gambled and I can at least feign a sense of ignorance. However if I gambled again then wouldn't that make me a horrible person? I think it would. You cannot always hide behind fate, chance, or the will of a deity. Sometimes you got to be a good parent by NOT being a biological parent.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
[QUOTE="thegerg"] Do a little research. AIDS isn't something that will "insta-pass" from mother to child.

Regardless of whether it's 100% for sure going to happen, you're sharing blood with that child when it's inside you. That is a risk. Your HIV/full-blown-AIDS-ridden blood is flowing through your fetus. There are ways you can prevent the transfer, but let's face it, there is a risk that your kid will come out one of many kinds of screwed up because of side effects. I haven't put much time into finding out what, but I know they're possible. All I'm saying is that if I had AIDS, I probably wouldn't even want to get pregnant, let alone actually have a child. As you're probably aware, women can't take even advil during their pregnancies, and being immunodeficient and not being able to take anything at all or have the hospital give you anything at all is like asking to die. If you take it anyway, your kid might come out mentally or physically handicapped or deformed, and on top of that the drugs they give you in the hospital for whatever infection or whatever you do get could stop the aids-blocking drugs from working, and your kid could come out both handicapped and with HIV. Just better to avoid it all together and adopt maybe than to take on what could be a ridiculously terrible and heartbreaking, and potentially deadly road.
Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Yeah I have depression and PTSD.

They're not going to be with me forever, or at least at every moment in my life. Yes, I do plan on having kids.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

As long as it isn't a disorder that'll impair my daily functioning by much, then sure, why not?

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dkdk999
[QUOTE="dkdk999"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]I want to pass on my good looks. KC_Hokie

Just like it.

oh....uh ya your kids are going to be beautiful.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
I probably do. But will have kids anyways...
TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

I can't even begin naming the disroders I know off. Also, my family genes are not bad but I had all the recessive bad genes myself. The only time i will consider on having kids is if I married an incredibly hot wife.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

No way in hell would i pump out a sprog. My need to have a kid is not that strong and in my eyes its one of the most selfish things to do. I would never pass on my disgusting genes and make them have to live just so i fill out this silly genetic obligation.

TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

[QUOTE="thegerg"] Do a little research. AIDS isn't something that will "insta-pass" from mother to child.XilePrincess
Regardless of whether it's 100% for sure going to happen, you're sharing blood with that child when it's inside you. That is a risk. Your HIV/full-blown-AIDS-ridden blood is flowing through your fetus. There are ways you can prevent the transfer, but let's face it, there is a risk that your kid will come out one of many kinds of screwed up because of side effects. I haven't put much time into finding out what, but I know they're possible. All I'm saying is that if I had AIDS, I probably wouldn't even want to get pregnant, let alone actually have a child. As you're probably aware, women can't take even advil during their pregnancies, and being immunodeficient and not being able to take anything at all or have the hospital give you anything at all is like asking to die. If you take it anyway, your kid might come out mentally or physically handicapped or deformed, and on top of that the drugs they give you in the hospital for whatever infection or whatever you do get could stop the aids-blocking drugs from working, and your kid could come out both handicapped and with HIV. Just better to avoid it all together and adopt maybe than to take on what could be a ridiculously terrible and heartbreaking, and potentially deadly road.

Not when its inside of you. Baby's blood and mother's blood never mix. The only time when there is a risk of having the babies blood in contact with the mother's blood is during delivery. Thats why children can have different blood types than their mothers.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

no.not even cause i have aspburgers. i do to much to take that time and i can barly handle dog sh!t let alone a huge human dukie. and i got 2 brothers with a total of like 7 nephews and neices total.really no need

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

Yes, I have Asthma and I will still have kidsNerubianWeaver

He threw it on the ground. And I also have Ashtma and will hopefully have kids, but that requires a girlfriend at the very least. Preferably a wife.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

I don't know. I want kids, but I don't want them to grow. I want them to stay as babies. Then again, I'm 17 and if I say this in the real-world I'll be labeled gay so let me be quiet.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#46 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I've got a general anxiety disorder and we've got 3 kids. Of course I didn't know I had it until well after they were born. But sure, if it's easily treatable and there's a fairly small chance that it will get passed on anyway, I'm not gonna worry about it. Even before my anxiety was diagnosed, I would sure have rather been alive than never born.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

I've got a general anxiety disorder and we've got 3 kids. Of course I didn't know I had it until well after they were born. But sure, if it's easily treatable and there's a fairly small chance that it will get passed on anyway, I'm not gonna worry about it. Even before my anxiety was diagnosed, I would sure have rather been alive than never born.

Jackc8

Bizarre.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#48 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

^ If I didn't know better, I'd say you've got somewhat of a negative attitude :P

fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
I really have no idea.
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 dkdk999

Jackc8
I think i've also got general anxiety disorder too. How did you treat it ?