If there are public schools, why can't there be public health care?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#201 duxup
Member since 2002 • 43443 Posts

[QUOTE="duxup"]Both are social saftey nets. You pay for roads, you pay for military, you pay for social security disability income, you pay for schools that you may not use, you finance college loans, you pay for all sorts of things that you personally may not use nor ever directly benefit from. When folks visit the emergency room you pay for that too.LJS9502_basic

There is a difference between things that are used for all individuals and personal use. Roads and the military are both societal. SSI is paid into buy everyone working and is theirs at some point when they need it. I'm against public schools actually. I don't finance college loans myself. If you are implying that banking is part of that....you can shop until you find a bank that satisifies you. You aren't stuck with one bank nor their rates. My insurance pays the emergency room thank you. Most I'd have to pay is $50 unless admitted and that is put in place to force people to visit a doctor and not tie up emergency rooms with minor issues.

I hate to break it to you, but yeah you do finance college loans, and grants even. You also pay when individuals visit the emergency room.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#202 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

Not the same at all. Social Security is for when you retire. So you put into it when you work. It's your benefits for a later date. If you never use government health care then you should not be forced to pay into it. Period.

Anyone for government healthcare should be able to answer the last question.

LJS9502_basic

unless you are very wealthy there is no certainty that you will never use government healthcare. for one thing when you're a senor Medicare may be an option and for many that worked all their lives is the best option. also with private insurance usually attached to a job when you lose that job you'll have a hard time paying for that insurance that is no longer subsidized by your former employer. if you buy your own insurance they could drop you because you cost them too much because you got cancer or something else that requires long term care. at which point you would want to be on the government plan.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#203 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="duxup"]Both are social saftey nets. You pay for roads, you pay for military, you pay for social security disability income, you pay for schools that you may not use, you finance college loans, you pay for all sorts of things that you personally may not use nor ever directly benefit from. When folks visit the emergency room you pay for that too.duxup

There is a difference between things that are used for all individuals and personal use. Roads and the military are both societal. SSI is paid into buy everyone working and is theirs at some point when they need it. I'm against public schools actually. I don't finance college loans myself. If you are implying that banking is part of that....you can shop until you find a bank that satisifies you. You aren't stuck with one bank nor their rates. My insurance pays the emergency room thank you. Most I'd have to pay is $50 unless admitted and that is put in place to force people to visit a doctor and not tie up emergency rooms with minor issues.

I hate to break it to you, but yeah you do finance college loans, and grants even. You also pay when individuals visit the emergency room.

Rather vague. And I can assure you I'm not paying for others visits to the emergency room. I pay little for my insurance as it is. Used to pay nothing but the percent I pay is neglible. So no...they won't get emergency treatment off me.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Not the same at all. Social Security is for when you retire. So you put into it when you work. It's your benefits for a later date. If you never use government health care then you should not be forced to pay into it. Period.

Anyone for government healthcare should be able to answer the last question.

Ontain

unless you are very wealthy there is no certainty that you will never use government healthcare. for one thing when you're a senor Medicare may be an option and for many that worked all their lives is the best option. also with private insurance usually attached to a job when you lose that job you'll have a hard time paying for that insurance that is no longer subsidized by your former employer. if you buy your own insurance they could drop you because you cost them too much because you got cancer or something else that requires long term care. at which point you would want to be on the government plan.

Medicare is already having problems. And treatments are denied under Medicare but by all means.....give everyone in the country that headache.:|

Kid-Icarus-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 Kid-Icarus-
Member since 2006 • 733 Posts

[QUOTE="Kid-Icarus-"][QUOTE="Omni-Slash"]why would you want two failing over-expensive programs?....tycoonmike

Because the alternative is so much worse? Because no matter how expensive or how badly performing a public health care system might be it is still better than leaving 20% of your citizens without any access to proper health care at all. Because it is immoral to refuse someone suffering from cancer access to drugs and therapy which might save their life, simply because they could not afford health insurance.

Even if it meant all the naysayer's worst nightmares coming true: the death panels, the rationing of health care, and the long lines to get a life-saving operation? Isn't it more immoral to provide healthcare but deny it to someone for so long that they eventually die because of the government's negligence?

No one would be forced to use the public health care system, those who could afford private health insurance can carry on paying if they believe these nightmare scenarios to be of any merit. However I would say these nightmare scenarios are largely BS. I live in the UK, I know barely anyone with private health insurance, not because they can't afford it, but merely because it is just not necessary. The NHS, contrary to what you might have been led to believe, actually works quite well. I see no reason an American system couldn't work just as well or better.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 duxup

[QUOTE="duxup"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]There is a difference between things that are used for all individuals and personal use. Roads and the military are both societal. SSI is paid into buy everyone working and is theirs at some point when they need it. I'm against public schools actually. I don't finance college loans myself. If you are implying that banking is part of that....you can shop until you find a bank that satisifies you. You aren't stuck with one bank nor their rates. My insurance pays the emergency room thank you. Most I'd have to pay is $50 unless admitted and that is put in place to force people to visit a doctor and not tie up emergency rooms with minor issues.

LJS9502_basic

Rather vague. And I can assure you I'm not paying for others visits to the emergency room. I pay little for my insurance as it is. Used to pay nothing but the percent I pay is neglible. So no...they won't get emergency treatment off me.

I guess I'm assuming you live in the US and pay taxes. If you do, yeah you're paying for other people's emergency room visits and the individual educational benefits I listed, amongst other things.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 LJS9502_basic

I guess I'm assuming you live in the US and pay taxes. If you do, yeah you're paying for other people's emergency room visits and the individual educational benefits I listed, amongst other things. duxup
I'm not talking about welfare programs already in place. I think many should be cut actually. I'm talking the increased cost.

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 duxup

[QUOTE="duxup"]I guess I'm assuming you live in the US and pay taxes. If you do, yeah you're paying for other people's emergency room visits and the individual educational benefits I listed, amongst other things. LJS9502_basic

I'm not talking about welfare programs already in place. I think many should be cut actually. I'm talking the increased cost.

Is that because your argument that this benefit is somehow different than others just doesn't hold up now? I think cost is a valid concern. However, I would argue that should be applied to existing and new benefits provided by the government equally. It is not as if all benefits provided up until now were somehow paid for and we just now crossed the "can't afford it" threshold. They haven't been for some time. Personally I have no problem with a national health care program provided the taxes are gathered to pay for it. Same goes with every other program, social, infrastructure, military.
tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#209 tycoonmike
Member since 2005 • 6082 Posts

[QUOTE="tycoonmike"]

[QUOTE="Kid-Icarus-"] Because the alternative is so much worse? Because no matter how expensive or how badly performing a public health care system might be it is still better than leaving 20% of your citizens without any access to proper health care at all. Because it is immoral to refuse someone suffering from cancer access to drugs and therapy which might save their life, simply because they could not afford health insurance.Kid-Icarus-

Even if it meant all the naysayer's worst nightmares coming true: the death panels, the rationing of health care, and the long lines to get a life-saving operation? Isn't it more immoral to provide healthcare but deny it to someone for so long that they eventually die because of the government's negligence?

No one would be forced to use the public health care system, those who could afford private health insurance can carry on paying if they believe these nightmare scenarios to be of any merit. However I would say these nightmare scenarios are largely BS. I live in the UK, I know barely anyone with private health insurance, not because they can't afford it, but merely because it is just not necessary. The NHS, contrary to what you might have been led to believe, actually works quite well. I see no reason an American system couldn't work just as well or better.

How about the fact that the United States has five times the population as the United Kingdom?

And besides, wasn't there a thread on here about a week ago that showed a list of the average waiting times for people in the UK who are in need of hospital care?

And actually, the nightmare scenarios are plausible. Indeed, it was CNN just yesterday that admitted that it is possible for "death panels" to arise if the cost of the public health care system became overwhelming. They aren't instituted at the get-go, of course, but that doesn't mean the government wouldn't be able to institute them at some point. The beauty of this is that, just like in all other aspects of life, whoever holds the money holds the power. In this case it is the government, no matter what anyone says, that will hold the power because they will control the subsidies given to hospitals and people for their health care plan.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

[QUOTE="duxup"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]There is a difference between things that are used for all individuals and personal use. Roads and the military are both societal. SSI is paid into buy everyone working and is theirs at some point when they need it. I'm against public schools actually. I don't finance college loans myself. If you are implying that banking is part of that....you can shop until you find a bank that satisifies you. You aren't stuck with one bank nor their rates. My insurance pays the emergency room thank you. Most I'd have to pay is $50 unless admitted and that is put in place to force people to visit a doctor and not tie up emergency rooms with minor issues.

LJS9502_basic

I can't speak personally for you because obviously I do not know your employment and financial situation, but what's been happening around the country for the past decade is that premiums are rising in cost very quickly, for various reasons, including the emergency care received by the uninsured which gets shifted on to the insured, and employers pay for that rise in health insurance cost by stagnating the wages of their employees.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 LJS9502_basic

Is that because your argument that this benefit is somehow different than others just doesn't hold up now? I think cost is a valid concern. However, I would argue that should be applied to existing and new benefits provided by the government equally. It is not as if all benefits provided up until now were somehow paid for and we just now crossed the "can't afford it" threshold. They haven't been for some time. Personally I have no problem with a national health care program provided the taxes are gathered to pay for it. Same goes with every other program, social, infrastructure, military. duxup
No my argument holds up. I can't see that yours has though. You bring in benefits to a society as a whole and use that to justify benefitting individuals. Minority of individuals in the country as well.

My argument is that government should not be involved in issues that aren't for society. Adults should take care of themselves....and up until the country started social programs did so quite well. All handouts do is increased dependence on them and do not raise people above that level. This history of welfare illustrates that quite well.

The choice is easy....a strong country with responsible adults or a weak country with dependents on the government. After everyone relies on the government to raise them as children in continuity how do you propose the government gets the money to subsidize all these expensive programs? Why should someone making 75K need free health care? Why should someone making 35K provide that health care for them?

I never said the cost was paid. I said it's getting ridiculous to continue along this way and add to it. Government is not mommy and daddy.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 LJS9502_basic

I can't speak personally for you because obviously I do not know your employment and financial situation, but what's been happening around the country for the past decade is that premiums are rising in cost very quickly, for various reasons, including the emergency care received by the uninsured which gets shifted on to the insured, and employers pay for that rise in health insurance cost by stagnating the wages of their employees.

-Sun_Tzu-

And that is an issue that needs solved. But government health care is not the way to go.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

LJS9502_basic

And that is an issue that needs solved. But government health care is not the way to go.

But that's a different topic. You said you don't pay for the uninsured when they go to the emergency room, but the fact of the matter is that you do, and as a result wages have stagnated.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 Ontain

Medicare is already having problems. And treatments are denied under Medicare but by all means.....give everyone in the country that headache.:|

LJS9502_basic

Medicare has problems because it insures a much high percent of those that aren't going to be paying. if it was to everyone then you'd have a lot of health ppl paying (like the insurance companies do now). also Medicare has a higher level of satisfaction compared to private insurance holders as well as using less of it's money on non healthcare related costs (pay for execs, legal, stockholders, etc).

as for treatment denied. depends on the case. just like with private but private is worse since there is a profit in denying rather than just budget.

fillini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 fillini
Member since 2004 • 857 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="duxup"]I guess I'm assuming you live in the US and pay taxes. If you do, yeah you're paying for other people's emergency room visits and the individual educational benefits I listed, amongst other things. duxup

Is that because your argument that this benefit is somehow different than others just doesn't hold up now? I think cost is a valid concern. However, I would argue that should be applied to existing and new benefits provided by the government equally. It is not as if all benefits provided up until now were somehow paid for and we just now crossed the "can't afford it" threshold. They haven't been for some time. Personally I have no problem with a national health care program provided the taxes are gathered to pay for it. Same goes with every other program, social, infrastructure, military.

A lot of the overall inflation of health costs is being filtered down by the uninsured ER visits and treatments, but the other part is the "discounted" cost from Medicare and other State (aka government) programs are being pushed down to the individuals that carry healthcare coverage.

Two things: Obama is full of it if he thinks they are going to be able to negotiate costs down in a new system and we truely need personal responsiblity and education to take effect to reduce the cost of health insurance. There is a reason cosmetic surgery has increase 600% in the last 10 years, but the cost for it has decreased overall. Its paid out of pocket. Same thing with laser eye surgery. competetion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 LJS9502_basic

But that's a different topic. You said you don't pay for the uninsured when they go to the emergency room, but the fact of the matter is that you do, and as a result wages have stagnated. -Sun_Tzu-
That is not what I said. I have no problem with lowering insurance premiums but requiring all individuals above a set income to have it deducted from their pay if they won't voluntarily pay it. Car insurance is required by law. Medical insurance should be as well.

Stopping price gouging will bring the cost of insurance down in and of itself.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 LJS9502_basic

Medicare has problems because it insures a much high percent of those that aren't going to be paying. if it was to everyone then you'd have a lot of health ppl paying (like the insurance companies do now). also Medicare has a higher level of satisfaction compared to private insurance holders as well as using less of it's money on non healthcare related costs (pay for execs, legal, stockholders, etc).

as for treatment denied. depends on the case. just like with private but private is worse since there is a profit in denying rather than just budget.

Ontain

What? You know you pay into that program...right? And those that are under it have at one point. For the most. Do you know anyone that used Medicare? The government rations what it can be used on and it's required at a specific age that it becomes the primary. It's in trouble because government can't adequately provide social programs. The private sector is much better at that.

fillini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 fillini

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Medicare is already having problems. And treatments are denied under Medicare but by all means.....give everyone in the country that headache.:|

Ontain

I disagree. with private insurance you can fight for the treatment to be covered. maybe even sue. do you think under the Govt. run option is going to let you do any of those things.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 -Sun_Tzu-

That is not what I said. I have no problem with lowering insurance premiums but requiring all individuals above a set income to have it deducted from their pay if they won't voluntarily pay it. Car insurance is required by law. Medical insurance should be as well.

LJS9502_basic

Well, that is what you said

Rather vague. And I can assure you I'm not paying for others visits to the emergency room. I pay little for my insurance as it is. Used to pay nothing but the percent I pay is neglible. So no...they won't get emergency treatment off me.LJS9502_basic

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 Ontain

[QUOTE="Ontain"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Medicare is already having problems. And treatments are denied under Medicare but by all means.....give everyone in the country that headache.:|

fillini

I disagree. with private insurance you can fight for the treatment to be covered. maybe even sue. do you think under the Govt. run option is going to let you do any of those things.

private insurance do it all the time. they have paid medical experts to say you don't need it or that it's not proven. or they get someone to look over your application for any minor mistake or preexisting condition that you might not have known about to reject you. good luck with suing them. you'll spent even more and will be dead before they pay anything
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Ontain

[QUOTE="Ontain"]

LJS9502_basic

What? You know you pay into that program...right? And those that are under it have at one point. For the most. Do you know anyone that used Medicare? The government rations what it can be used on and it's required at a specific age that it becomes the primary. It's in trouble because government can't adequately provide social programs. The private sector is much better at that.

technically we pay in with our taxes. or did you not know that? it's part of FICA on your pay stub. it's in trouble because like SS there are more senors than there are young ppl working to support the program. and also because our wages have not kept pace with the GDP or the cost of medical care. the private sector is "better" because they can deny ppl they don't want for preexisting conditions. they just want relatively health ppl. more profits that way. there's nothing that says they are "better" for the consumer. in fact i already stated that Medicare has higher satisfaction and more percent of the dollar spent on actual care.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]That is not what I said. I have no problem with lowering insurance premiums but requiring all individuals above a set income to have it deducted from their pay if they won't voluntarily pay it. Car insurance is required by law. Medical insurance should be as well.

-Sun_Tzu-

Rather vague. And I can assure you I'm not paying for others visits to the emergency room. I pay little for my insurance as it is. Used to pay nothing but the percent I pay is neglible. So no...they won't get emergency treatment off me.LJS9502_basic

Through my insurance....since I don't pay much at all. Most times that comment is toward insurance. He wasn't clear about his comments at all so I had to assume what he was talking about.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="Ontain"]

LJS9502_basic

Actually it is in trouble becausee our health care system is broken, not because it is a government program. And the private sector rations much more than Medicare does - you get more choice with medicare than you do with private insurance.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 duxup

[QUOTE="duxup"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] [QUOTE="fillini"]

[QUOTE="Ontain"]

fillini

You can try to sue, but more likely you'll be sent to an arbitrator paid by the company who you're having a problem with.

Folks without insurance can't sue anyone anyway. They do not have insurance.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="Ontain"]

Ontain

technically we pay in with our taxes. or did you not know that? it's part of FICA on your pay stub. it's in trouble because like SS there are more senors than there are young ppl working to support the program. and also because our wages have not kept pace with the GDP or the cost of medical care. the private sector is "better" because they can deny ppl they don't want for preexisting conditions. they just want relatively health ppl. more profits that way. there's nothing that says they are "better" for the consumer. in fact i already stated that Medicare has higher satisfaction and more percent of the dollar spent on actual care.

Uh....I'd guess since I told you that you pay in that I did know that dude.:| You did catch my first sentence....right?

Free_Marxet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Free_Marxet
Member since 2009 • 1549 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]That is not what I said. I have no problem with lowering insurance premiums but requiring all individuals above a set income to have it deducted from their pay if they won't voluntarily pay it. Car insurance is required by law. Medical insurance should be as well.

LJS9502_basic

Through my insurance....since I don't pay much at all. Most times that comment is toward insurance. He wasn't clear about his comments at all so I had to assume what he was talking about.

just admit you were owned.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="Ontain"]

-Sun_Tzu-

Actually it is in trouble becausee our health care system is broken, not because it is a government program. And the private sector rations much more than Medicare does - you get more choice with medicare than you do with private insurance.

Really? The insurance companies in the health care business are healthy enough....but the government isn't. You don't see the problem?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 LJS9502_basic

just admit you were owned.Free_Marxet
I wasn't. And if you read my first post you'd see how I interpreted his vague post. I was talking about insurance premiums.:roll:

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Ontain

[QUOTE="Ontain"] technically we pay in with our taxes. or did you not know that? it's part of FICA on your pay stub. it's in trouble because like SS there are more senors than there are young ppl working to support the program. and also because our wages have not kept pace with the GDP or the cost of medical care. the private sector is "better" because they can deny ppl they don't want for preexisting conditions. they just want relatively health ppl. more profits that way. there's nothing that says they are "better" for the consumer. in fact i already stated that Medicare has higher satisfaction and more percent of the dollar spent on actual care.LJS9502_basic

Uh....I'd guess since I told you that you pay in that I did know that dude.:| You did catch my first sentence....right?

sorry misread your first sentence though the rest address your comments about Medicare being in trouble.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="Ontain"] technically we pay in with our taxes. or did you not know that? it's part of FICA on your pay stub. it's in trouble because like SS there are more senors than there are young ppl working to support the program. and also because our wages have not kept pace with the GDP or the cost of medical care. the private sector is "better" because they can deny ppl they don't want for preexisting conditions. they just want relatively health ppl. more profits that way. there's nothing that says they are "better" for the consumer. in fact i already stated that Medicare has higher satisfaction and more percent of the dollar spent on actual care.Ontain

sorry misread your first sentence though the rest address your comments about Medicare being in trouble.

As for the rest of your comment....there are more senors than there used to be but I doubt there are more senors than working people. You'd have to provide data on the statistic.

corwinn01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 corwinn01
Member since 2004 • 842 Posts

That old arguement about paying for someone elses emergency visit would only apply if they didn't pay their bill.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 Ontain

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]What? You know you pay into that program...right? And those that are under it have at one point. For the most. Do you know anyone that used Medicare? The government rations what it can be used on and it's required at a specific age that it becomes the primary. It's in trouble because government can't adequately provide social programs. The private sector is much better at that.

LJS9502_basic

Really? The insurance companies in the health care business are healthy enough....but the government isn't. You don't see the problem?

as said many times. Private gets to pick and choose the healthy ppl and dumps the really expensive ppl. the whole business is about providing as little care as possible in order to make profit. it was on the Nixon tapes when the first HMO's started.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Ontain

That old arguement about paying for someone elses emergency visit would only apply if they didn't pay their bill.

corwinn01
well we're talking about the ppl that don't have insurance. most of those ppl can't afford an emergency room bill. we're talking thousands.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Actually it is in trouble becausee our health care system is broken, not because it is a government program. And the private sector rations much more than Medicare does - you get more choice with medicare than you do with private insurance. Ontain

as said many times. Private gets to pick and choose the healthy ppl and dumps the really expensive ppl. the whole business is about providing as little care as possible in order to make profit. it was on the Nixon tapes when the first HMO's started.

The government picks and chooses what tests, treatments, and drugs are allowed. The difference is everyone suffers under the government plan.

fillini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 fillini

duxup

True. But as of now the hospitals usually care for them anyway and past the cost on to the insured. Whats going to happen when the people with the money run out of it?

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]What? You know you pay into that program...right? And those that are under it have at one point. For the most. Do you know anyone that used Medicare? The government rations what it can be used on and it's required at a specific age that it becomes the primary. It's in trouble because government can't adequately provide social programs. The private sector is much better at that.

LJS9502_basic

Not quite sure what you are saying. Are you saying that the insurance companies are healthy in the sense that they are financially sound?
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="Ontain"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Really? The insurance companies in the health care business are healthy enough....but the government isn't. You don't see the problem?

LJS9502_basic

The government picks and chooses what tests, treatments, and drugs are allowed. The difference is everyone suffers under the government plan.

The private sector picks and chooses what tests, treatments, drugs, doctors, hostpitals, ect. are allowed at a much higher rate than the government does with medicare.
BenBenBen93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#238 BenBenBen93
Member since 2007 • 828 Posts

america jus get it. if it measns savibng the lives of say 100 people isn't it worth it. if the uk NEVER HAD OUR NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE well 1. id be **** 2. millions of doctors would be out of work 3. hudered of thousands would diebecause they cannot afored the insurance

fillini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 fillini

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] Actually it is in trouble becausee our health care system is broken, not because it is a government program. And the private sector rations much more than Medicare does - you get more choice with medicare than you do with private insurance. Ontain

Thats not how it happens. When you start a new job, there is a period of open enrollment. Insurance companies don't pick or choose in instances like that, they take anyone. My wife had our first born three days after my insurance kicked in. three years before that she had a brain hemmorhage, she was picked up by her employer when she started, she got care for the past treatment. If your shopping for individual insurance its true, but the majority of americans get their insurance from employee plans.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="Ontain"] as said many times. Private gets to pick and choose the healthy ppl and dumps the really expensive ppl. the whole business is about providing as little care as possible in order to make profit. it was on the Nixon tapes when the first HMO's started. -Sun_Tzu-

The private sector picks and chooses what tests, treatments, drugs, doctors, hostpitals, ect. are allowed at a much higher rate than the government does with medicare.

Doctors know how to code the treatment and tests to pass. That isn't allowed under the government.;)

duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 duxup

[QUOTE="duxup"]

fillini

True. But as of now the hospitals usually care for them anyway and past the cost on to the insured. Whats going to happen when the people with the money run out of it?

They care for them to some extent. In general the uninsured are denied most long term care, but get emergency care. I prices are raised for the insured to make up for the uninsured to some extent. Yet there is some weird math in there too. Insurance companies negotiate prices, so the base price (if you were to pay out of pocket for some reason) is often much higher than what insurance pays. Still high compared to most every nation in the world, but there is a weird price variation in there. Also it is not all just passed onto insurance companies, counties, states, and the federal government pick up most of that tab as it is anyway. Ironically many state studies have shown that sate budget cutting to state health care programs just pass the buck onto a later date as folks just end up going in to the hospital at a later date for more expensive work.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 Ontain
As for the rest of your comment....there are more senors than there used to be but I doubt there are more senors than working people. You'd have to provide data on the statistic.LJS9502_basic
let me then clarify. the ratio is now so that what's coming in from the current workforce is less than services received. either way it's a population problem something that private insurers don't need to deal with.
duxup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 duxup

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]The government picks and chooses what tests, treatments, and drugs are allowed. The difference is everyone suffers under the government plan.

LJS9502_basic

Doctors know how to code the treatment and tests to pass. That isn't allowed under the government.;)

Huh? Insurance companies can and do refuse treatment regardless of a doctor's recommendation.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] The private sector picks and chooses what tests, treatments, drugs, doctors, hostpitals, ect. are allowed at a much higher rate than the government does with medicare.duxup

Huh? Insurance companies can and do refuse treatment regardless of a doctor's recommendation.

They can....but not as high a percentage as government care. Doctor's push through a lot.....they know how to play the game.

Free_Marxet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Free_Marxet

[QUOTE="Free_Marxet"] just admit you were owned.LJS9502_basic

I wasn't. And if you read my first post you'd see how I interpreted his vague post. I was talking about insurance premiums.:roll:

I see you took quite an offense to me being right.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="Free_Marxet"] just admit you were owned.Free_Marxet

I don't take offense....and you weren't right. We were talking two different things entirely.....those who need to post they are right invariably are not.

Free_Marxet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 Free_Marxet

[QUOTE="duxup"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Doctors know how to code the treatment and tests to pass. That isn't allowed under the government.;)

LJS9502_basic

They can....but not as high a percentage as government care. Doctor's push through a lot.....they know how to play the game.

I couldnt agree more, dont hate the player, hate the game!
Free_Marxet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 Free_Marxet

[QUOTE="Free_Marxet"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I wasn't. And if you read my first post you'd see how I interpreted his vague post. I was talking about insurance premiums.:roll:

LJS9502_basic

I don't take offense....and you weren't right. We were talking two different things entirely.....those who need to post they are right invariably are not.

Funny how you just posted how I was wrong, leaving the only option as you being right. You lose by your own rules, as usual.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="duxup"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Doctors know how to code the treatment and tests to pass. That isn't allowed under the government.;)

LJS9502_basic

Any evidence of that? Because that doesn't seem to be the case.

"Medicare beneficiaries are less likely to report not getting needed services. Twelve percent of elderly Medicare beneficiaries reported going without care, such as prescribed medications or recommended tests, because of cost restraints. Of individuals with employer-based plans, 26 percent reported experiencing these cost/access issues."

http://www.commonwealthfund.org/Content/Publications/In-the-Literature/2009/May/Meeting-Enrollees-Needs.aspx

fillini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 fillini

america jus get it. if it measns savibng the lives of say 100 people isn't it worth it. if the uk NEVER HAD OUR NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE well 1. id be **** 2. millions of doctors would be out of work 3. hudered of thousands would diebecause they cannot afored the insurance

BenBenBen93

UK! please you guys had over 75 people die in 2007 of minor infections picked up from just overcrowding in your hospitals. Not to mention the ambulance lines. What is this? the uk was having such a long wait time in their ERs, two + hours, they enacted furhter legislation to MAKE the hospital see the patients within 45 minutes. Solution: park the ambulances outside with the patients in them, so the timer doesn't start. I don't think the UK gets it. Every time the citizens of the UK complain; their government says they just don't appreciate what they have and the papers tell a sob story of a new immigrant from Ghana who is sooo appreciative of the level of care they recvd.