If Kurt Cobain had only lived...

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChaoticThief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ChaoticThief
Member since 2010 • 95 Posts

Would he go down in musical history as one of the greatest musicians? Personally, I think he is one of the best. Grunge is a pretty revolutionary musical thing. Of course, punk rock comes in first, but grunge cannot be denied. Anyway, would he have been a legendary rocker?

Agent-Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Agent-Zero
Member since 2009 • 6198 Posts
Isn't he already a legendary rocker? Or is it just because he killed himself?
ChaoticThief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ChaoticThief
Member since 2010 • 95 Posts

Isn't he already a legendary rocker? Or is it just because he killed himself?Agent-Zero

Not really, man. His band (Nirvana) is rarely heard on the radio these days. Gotta love Teen Spirit, man.

Avatar image for deactivated-6016f2513d412
deactivated-6016f2513d412

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-6016f2513d412
Member since 2007 • 20414 Posts
Isn't he already a legendary rocker? Or is it just because he killed himself?Agent-Zero
Haha, this is exactly what I was thinking. If he hadn't had such a high-profile death, who knows how he'd be regarded after even just a few more years of making music? Maybe he'd be a 'nobody' or a 'has-been' by now. Maybe I'm a little biased because I hate Nirvana and think that every song of theirs sounds the same, but I can't imagine that they could've done a whole lot more unless they'd really started adding some variation to their music.
Murj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 Murj
Member since 2008 • 4557 Posts

Convert to Buddhism. You'll find Nirvana.

KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
Overrated. The drummer from Nirvana created a better band called Foo Fighters.
JIT93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JIT93
Member since 2007 • 5590 Posts
Overrated. The drummer from Nirvana created a better band called Foo Fighters.KC_Hokie
What is Foo and why do they fight them?
Lebbin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#8 Lebbin
Member since 2007 • 2049 Posts

I think that because he died, he is considered to be a legend. He passed away at his prime. If he was still alive, he wouldn't become irreverent in the modern music scene and not have as much admiration. Think of everyone that dies young.

killzonexbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 killzonexbox
Member since 2010 • 3019 Posts
If Kurt was still alive, I think he'd be doing solo stuff, he even said to Michael Azerrad that he didn't want Nirvana to last, and that he'd rather quit the band and join hole, or do his own thing.
Setsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Setsa
Member since 2005 • 8431 Posts
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Overrated. The drummer from Nirvana created a better band called Foo Fighters.JIT93

Mr. T says: fight this foo! On topic though, most musicians that die young tend to ascend to legendary status because they leave in their prime and people are always left wondering, what if they kept going? While I love Cobain, who knows where he'd be now-a-days.
Zeldafan221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Zeldafan221
Member since 2009 • 1190 Posts
I think any band/musician who dies or breaks up earlier than they could have if one or two members lived is always going to be considered "legendary" just because of their deaths. I mean, I love Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin, and all of them could have gone on longer if someone didn't die, but if those members who died lived, wouldn't they just be considred "has-beens" nowadays?
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
The only reason he's proclaimed as a great is because he's dead. If he was still alive, Nirvana would be seen for the mediocre band it really was...
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KC_Hokie
Jimi was one of the best guitarists ever. Nirvana was a fad.
metroidprime55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 metroidprime55
Member since 2008 • 17657 Posts

Yes, then that band could go into a "Hey lets do what the kids like" downfall and make bad music for us.

Zeldafan221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zeldafan221
Jimi was one of the best guitarists ever. Nirvana was a fad. KC_Hokie
While Jimi Hendrix was a great guitarist, think about it, if he lived today would any of his later albums be as well recieved by fans? Yeah the older stuff will always be praised, but sooner or later Jimi is going to run out of creativity. It's kinda what happened to Pearl Jam for me, I love them but their newer stuff is just decent, I will always remember them as the band that made Ten and not Backspacer.
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KC_Hokie
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Jimi was one of the best guitarists ever. Nirvana was a fad. Zeldafan221
While Jimi Hendrix was a great guitarist, think about it, if he lived today would any of his later albums be as well recieved by fans? Yeah the older stuff will always be praised, but sooner or later Jimi is going to run out of creativity. It's kinda what happened to Pearl Jam for me, I love them but their newer stuff is just decent, I will always remember them as the band that made Ten and not Backspacer.

No. Eric Clapton's fans seem to go along with whatever he does next. Jimi was a better guitarist and not far off on vocals.
xTheExploited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xTheExploited
Member since 2007 • 12094 Posts
Hard to say. A lot of other grunge musicians are still thought quite highly of and Cobain completely blows all of them out of the water.
raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 raynimrod
Member since 2005 • 6861 Posts

I don't think there was anything particularly special about him - his death just earned him more fame.

Zeldafan221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Zeldafan221
[QUOTE="Zeldafan221"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Jimi was one of the best guitarists ever. Nirvana was a fad. KC_Hokie

No. Eric Clapton's fans seem to go along with whatever he does next. Jimi was a better guitarist and not far off on vocals.

True, forgot about Clapton. If Hendrix did live he'd have a higher possibility of ending up like Clapton than Kurt would, I do agree to that.
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Overrated. The drummer from Nirvana created a better band called Foo Fighters.JIT93

'Foo fighter' is a term used by Allied pilots in World War II to describe Unidentified Flying Objects (UFO's). They liked the name and so they choose it. And yes I believe that Foo FIghters is a great band, great music, great albums and funny videos. Even though I like Kurt Cobain and Nirvana was the first band that I heard I think that he is famous just for the fact that he killed himself, if he had lived I doubt he would be as famous as he is now, probably more probably less.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lockedge
Member since 2002 • 16765 Posts

Would he go down in musical history as one of the greatest musicians? Personally, I think he is one of the best. Grunge is a pretty revolutionary musical thing. Of course, punk rock comes in first, but grunge cannot be denied. Anyway, would he have been a legendary rocker?

ChaoticThief
If Cobain had lived, then Nirvana would have faded away, Cobain would have faded away, and he wouldn't be getting the martyr treatment. He wouldn't have been a legendary musician, no.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lockedge
Overrated. The drummer from Nirvana created a better band called Foo Fighters.KC_Hokie
It's kind of sad. Grohl and co make music at least on the same level as Nirvana, but without the high-school level pseudo-serious "poetry" that Cobain put out. Grohl and co just don't take themselves seriously, and that's to their credit.
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Darthkaiser
[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Overrated. The drummer from Nirvana created a better band called Foo Fighters.Lockedge
It's kind of sad. Grohl and co make music at least on the same level as Nirvana, but without the high-school level pseudo-serious "poetry" that Cobain put out. Grohl and co just don't take themselves seriously, and that's to their credit.

I think you're giving much credit to Mr Cobain, and though I like to listen to Nirvana I fail to see any poetry in "With the lights out is less dangerous here we are know entertain us!" Also I think Foo Fighters Music can't be compared to Nirvana even though they had the same drumer the music style is different save for the first album which imo sounded quite similar.
Seajack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Seajack
Member since 2011 • 365 Posts
He wasn't a talented musician. He wrote some good music, clever lyrics, but the dude is famous because he put a shotgun in his mouth. People seem to be drawn to musicians post-mortem. Something I've never understood.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lockedge
[QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Overrated. The drummer from Nirvana created a better band called Foo Fighters.Darthkaiser

I think you're giving much credit to Mr Cobain, and though I like to listen to Nirvana I fail to see any poetry in "With the lights out is less dangerous here we are know entertain us!" Also I think Foo Fighters Music can't be compared to Nirvana even though they had the same drumer the music style is different save for the first album which imo sounded quite similar.

Yeah, sonically, the two bands differ, though technically...there's really very little difference. More or less, I've endured years of people telling me that Nirvana's music is intricate, more creative, has more depth lyrically and sonically, and it the pinnacle of 90s music. Personally, among grunge, I feel there's better stuff out there, and in terms of how Foo Fighters music is composed compared to Nirvana, Nirvana does not stand out over the Foo in any area, really. Attempts at atmosphere by Nirvana are almost always hamfisted and blatant, which just ruins the effort. Lyrically, they're immature and any attempt at depth is through the content rather than through building it lyrically. Technically, it's pretty ridiculously simple, a lot of punk is and that's cool. I dunno. I'm just tired of seeing people bash the Foo and praise Nirvana. I mean, people have opinions, and that's fine, but any attempts at stating it as a fact(or anything close to it, like so many seem to want to do) is just silly.
Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lockedge
He wasn't a talented musician. He wrote some good music, clever lyrics, but the dude is famous because he put a shotgun in his mouth. People seem to be drawn to musicians post-mortem. Something I've never understood. Seajack
Tortured artist martyrdom effect. It's kind of depressing.
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts

just because he killed himselfAgent-Zero

Answered your own question.

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Darthkaiser
He wasn't a talented musician. He wrote some good music, clever lyrics, but the dude is famous because he put a shotgun in his mouth. People seem to be drawn to musicians post-mortem. Something I've never understood. Seajack
Yeah most people are like "Oh yeah Hendrix Was cool and stuff he is da best" And they don't even know who hendrix was save for the fact that he died And I bet that in 2030's OT someone will be like "Ohh yea Michale Jackson's the best right, cool great musician" and so on
scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

[QUOTE="Agent-Zero"]Isn't he already a legendary rocker? Or is it just because he killed himself?ChaoticThief

Not really, man. His band (Nirvana) is rarely heard on the radio these days. Gotta love Teen Spirit, man.

Well there isn't any new music to play.

But I hear them on the radio a ton. At least a couple times a week probably.

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
I don't think he'd be nearly as highly regarded as he is now. The same with the whole of Nirvana.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Nirvana was already the biggest band in the world at the time of his death. To say he's only famous because he killed himself is just ridiculous.

Lockedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lockedge

Nirvana was already the biggest band in the world at the time of his death. To say he's only famous because he killed himself is just ridiculous.

worlock77
Most bands lose popularity naturally over time as the material they put out gets worse and they become less of a spectacle. Cobain died at his peak, had he lived and continued, the output from Nirvana likely would have declined in quality(at least how it would be perceived) and Nirvana would have aged like most other bands.
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

Lockedge

Most bands lose popularity naturally over time as the material they put out gets worse and they become less of a spectacle. Cobain died at his peak, had he lived and continued, the output from Nirvana likely would have declined in quality(at least how it would be perceived) and Nirvana would have aged like most other bands.

Yes, most bands do decline in popularity over time. That does not, however, in any way diminish what they accomplished before hand. For example: Lynyrd Skynyrd haven't had an album that anyone's gave a crap about in 30 years, and the band now are little more than a tribute/nostalgia bad, but their legendary status has long been solidified (even I can acknowledge that and I hate Skynyrd).Nirvana's place was solidified before Cobain shot himself. They were the band that brought rock music back to the forefront (at least for a time) after years of declining public interest. When they knocked Michael Jackson off the top of the charts it was a huge thing believe it or not.

dominer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dominer
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

He's already considered legendary mostlybecause of his death. Anyway I don't thinkhe deservesto be called legendary whetherdead or alive, he had little talent and therewere better grunge bands.

...Just had to get that off my chest

Pythos77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 Pythos77
Member since 2005 • 889 Posts

Iwas in 8th grade when nirvana released nevermind. it was an awesome sounding album back then and compared to most of the crap since its still awesome, but in all seriousnes, HIS LYRICS DONT MAKE MUCH SENSE..and dont try to say thats because hes deep and artsy. and his music was "simple". and (raises flame shield) alot of the songs actually (SUCK!!!) yes thats right they just plain suck. My guess is that If he had lived he would have produced some more albums along the same lines with about two or three great songs in each. and then after a ten year hiatus he'd clean up his act and come up with another album that will change rock as we know it.Hed be very relevant but nowhere near as revolutionary as he was in the days of nevermind. Either that or he would have continued his downward spiral until he was all but useless and incapacitated and just faded into the netherworld of has beens washups and reality tv.

Ohh and David Grohl went on to form a pretty decent band....

communistcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 communistcat
Member since 2010 • 1531 Posts

He would have been praised by many and hated by other's for popularizing grunge/alternative rock. I don't think he would have been legendary if he didn't kill himself though.

ultamite_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ultamite_gamer
Member since 2006 • 823 Posts
Kurt Cobain seemed like quite an interesting person and musician.I think he is a great musician and his lyrics can be interpreted with either very simple or complex/ in depth meanings about life. I would say judging by his interviews, he wanted to get out of Nirvana or maybe mainstream in general. If you look at how the media portrayed him as the sad depressed "icon" that "saved" rock music at the time, I would be upset and frustrated over it. He said he wanted to go join Hole or make an acoustic solo album. With Nirvana he said he wanted to expand the band similar to how Beatles expanded making Sgt. Pepper Lonely Hearts Club Band. Some people like him, some hate him, but I think he was good but the media made him overrated. If he was still alive, drugs would of screwed him over bad. Recovering from doing Heroin is not easy and would probably have scarred him for life. His music probably still would be good. I think he still had it in him to go in different directions, try to break out of the Grunge scene, but the media would make him fade away, just like how Pearl Jam did. I really want to know his opinion on illegal downloading and modern current pop music
hyrueprince11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hyrueprince11
Member since 2005 • 5722 Posts

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Overrated. The drummer from Nirvana created a better band called Foo Fighters.Lockedge

I'm pretty sure even Kurt said his lyrics sucked, I even think I read an interview where he said he had fun making up meanings for his lyrics while he was asked even when they didn't have any meaning at all.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Nirvana was average at best. Cobain's death was no real loss to music.
XxspritexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#40 XxspritexX
Member since 2005 • 5836 Posts

[QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Overrated. The drummer from Nirvana created a better band called Foo Fighters.hyrueprince11

I'm pretty sure even Kurt said his lyrics sucked, I even think I read an interview where he said he had fun making up meanings for his lyrics while he was asked even when they didn't have any meaning at all.

Heroin is win.
XxspritexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#41 XxspritexX
Member since 2005 • 5836 Posts

worlock77
It's like the Justin beiber haters. I know right?
Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Darthkaiser
[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Lockedge"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

Yes, most bands do decline in popularity over time. That does not, however, in any way diminish what they accomplished before hand. For example: Lynyrd Skynyrd haven't had an album that anyone's gave a crap about in 30 years, and the band now are little more than a tribute/nostalgia bad, but their legendary status has long been solidified (even I can acknowledge that and I hate Skynyrd).Nirvana's place was solidified before Cobain shot himself. They were the band that brought rock music back to the forefront (at least for a time) after years of declining public interest. When they knocked Michael Jackson off the top of the charts it was a huge thing believe it or not.

Nirvana is a good band a great 90s band but it stopped when it was at the submit when they were like the above poster said "at it's peak" the fact that Cobain shot himself in that moment is what avoided the decline in popularity of nirvana. Of course I am not saying this discredits what they did before, of course not they were good no doubt. But what cemented their status was Cobain's death since the band never got far enough to meet it's decline. The thing that solidified as you mentioned before Cobain's death is their story since they were the ones that they made rock cool again but that's about it. I can assure you that if the band had stopped for any other reason besides cobain's suicide (example a breakup) they would not be as famous as they are now. They would be memorable and good but not as famous.
stupid4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 80

#43 stupid4
Member since 2008 • 3695 Posts

Nirvana=greatest band ever

DazedDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#44 DazedDarkness
Member since 2008 • 2261 Posts

People always say Cobain was only heralded as a great because of his death. If you look at stuff from back then, the man was being called the voice of a generation, knocked Michael Jackson out of the #1 spot, and stirred a basically changed the music industry, made it bad for 80s hair metal bands, and had labels running out finding the next alt rock or grunge band which yes, displaced the hair metal and the materialism and robotic pop centered nature of the 80s music industry.

The death amplified that, and took away what could have gone on to creat much more. Michael Stipe of R.E.M. said that he was going to make an acoustic like/folk type album. And some say he was leaving Nirvana .

xXTalismanXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 xXTalismanXx
Member since 2008 • 916 Posts

http://www.spin.com/articles/what-if-kurt-cobain-didnt-die

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
As a huge fan of Nirvana I'd say that their legacy would have been about bringing the "grunge" thing into the mainstream if they had continued but did not produce a high quality of music anymore. If they continued to make quality well into the rest of the 90's then who knows what they're legacy would have been. Just look at Pearl Jam. Not really sure what to say about those guys but they are huge group that had survived after "grunge" was no longer in the spotlight.
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

http://www.spin.com/articles/what-if-kurt-cobain-didnt-die

xXTalismanXx

That would be really disappointing. I'd hate to have seen Nirvana become some Neutral Milk Hotel myth.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

I'd like to think that if Kurt had lived he would have raged harcore against the machine, and therefore become a very unpopular rocker in terms of mainstream but a hugely popular rocker in terms of undergournd. Of course, seeing as how yesterday's underground has trned into today's mainsteram that could be a bit misleading, but I think no matter what the trend he would always try to go against it.

VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

Yeah if Kurt hadn't Killed himself the same thing that happened to the foo fighters probably would have happened to nirvana. 4 good albums then total crap afterwards

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Overrated. The drummer from Nirvana created a better band called Foo Fighters.VendettaRed07

Yeah if Kurt hadn't Killed himself the same thing that happened to the foo fighters probably would have happened to nirvana. 4 good albums then total crap afterwards

Kurt wouldn't let that happen, he'd kill himself first.